Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Slowking Prime

Sabett

Slowking 100 HP
Poké-Power Random Choice
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may take the top 2 cards from your deck and place them face-up on the table. Your opponent choses one of the cards and adds it to your hand. Return the card that isn't chosen to the bottom of your deck. This power can't be used if Slowking is affected by a Special Condition.

:psychic::colorless::colorless: Super Psy 60

Weakness :psychic: x2
Resistance
Retreat Cost :colorless: :colorless:

Slowking prime, it's like Uxie lv.X, except worse, much worse. In fact, it's worse than Dodrio and Noctowl. How? Well when you draw one card, you potentially get a good card, then with uxie, you look at the top 2, and get to manipulate the randomness of said draw, but when your opponent chooses, the chances of you getting a better card, then if you had just drawn one, are much lower, since your opponent will be trying to give you the worst card possible.

Now yes, he can't see your hand, and could potentially give you a card you very well do need, but at the same turn, that card will more than often be on the top, then your opponent choosing the card you want more.

So, I ask, why is this a prime? It's power is outclassed by two cards that are of low value, unplayed, and scoffed at when thinking about the next format. Well, IMO what I think the card developers have done, is take a good look at the format, and given us a clear answer to a problem I think quite a few decks will be wanting to answer.

Take a close look, can you see it? Yep, that's right 60 damage. And not just any old 60 damage, 60 PSYCHIC damage. Now for the few of you that still don't see the significance of this, a large concern in the up and coming format, is a clear cut way for SP to deal with an old, powerful, and fairly popular threat. Mewtwo Lv.X.

Now there are answers now like Medicham SV, Bannete PL, Kirlia PL, and Dialga G, but there's still squabble over them. Medicham gives your opponent cards, Bannete needs a specific requirement to OHKO Mewtwo, which isn't too good, Kirlia requires three energies, and the current SP builds don't run Metal energy, and they don't like the idea of retreating Dialga G with a DCE either, just so they can bring up their main attacker again just to combat the mewtwo. With Slowking prime however, I feel we have a winner, true it's attack is the same as kirlia's, but it's got 20 more HP, and pokepower that can give you card advantage, albeit not the best, for the rest of the game as it stays out, it can stay out after OHKOing Mewtwo X, and keep the ball rolling, or after it's done it's job it can retreat back on the bench and draw you cards for the rest of the game, as you resume your savage SP beatdown. It should also be noted that Slowking, like Kirlia can use DCE to attack with two energies.

At first I was confused as to the existence of Slowking Prime, but then giggled as I saw it was IMO, the best mewtwo counter for decks not working with dialga.

Last edited:
Slowking 100 HP
Poké-Power Random Choice
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may take the top 2 cards from your deck and place them face-up on the table. Your opponent choses one of the cards and adds it to his hand. Return the card that isn't chosen to the bottom of your deck. This power can't be used if Slowking is affected by a Special Condition.

:psychic::colorless::colorless: Super Psy 60

Weakness :psychic: x2
Resistance
Retreat Cost :colorless: :colorless:

Slowking prime, it's like Uxie lv.X, except worse, much worse. In fact, it's worse than Dodrio and Noctowl. How? Well when you draw one card, you potentially get a good card, then with uxie, you look at the top 2, and get to manipulate the randomness of said draw, but when your opponent chooses, the chances of you getting a better card, then if you had just drawn one, are much lower, since your opponent will be trying to give you the worst card possible.

Now yes, he can't see your hand, and could potentially give you a card you very well do need, but at the same turn, that card will more than often be on the top, then your opponent choosing the card you want more.

So, I ask, why is this a prime? It's power is outclassed by two cards that are of low value, unplayed, and scoffed at when thinking about the next format. Well, IMO what I think the card developers have done, is take a good look at the format, and given us a clear answer to a problem I think quite a few decks will be wanting to answer.

Take a close look, can you see it? Yep, that's right 60 damage. And not just any old 60 damage, 60 PSYCHIC damage. Now for the few of you that still don't see the significance of this, a large concern in the up and coming format, is a clear cut way for SP to deal with an old, powerful, and fairly popular threat. Mewtwo Lv.X.

Now there are answers now like Medicham SV, Bannete PL, Kirlia PL, and Dialga G, but there's still squabble over them. Medicham gives your opponent cards, Bannete needs a specific requirement to OHKO Mewtwo, which isn't too good, Kirlia requires three energies, and the current SP builds don't run Metal energy, and they don't like the idea of retreating Dialga G with a DCE either, just so they can bring up their main attacker again just to combat the mewtwo. With Slowking prime however, I feel we have a winner, true it's attack is the same as kirlia's, but it's got 20 more HP, and pokepower that can give you card advantage, albeit not the best, for the rest of the game as it stays out, it can stay out after OHKOing Mewtwo X, and keep the ball rolling, or after it's done it's job it can retreat back on the bench and draw you cards for the rest of the game, as you resume your savage SP beatdown. It should also be noted that Slowking, like Kirlia can use DCE to attack with two energies.

At first I was confused as to the existence of Slowking Prime, but then giggled as I saw it was IMO, the best mewtwo counter for decks not working with dialga.

wat

maybe the will choose the wrong one lhmmm yea well one this bad about uxie x it can bb knocked out by flygon and gengar can level it down.

I can see it working as a mewtwo counter but it does need three energies to one hit ko Mewtwo. It does gives you cards from your deck and kill mewtwo. I like it.

I understand your point, but i still think banette is better.
A. Shuppet is very good
B. Bannette has an AMAZING second attack.
C. It combos nicely with uxie.

Sabett is right on this one. The fact that you can use slowking as a way to cycle cards and as a mewtwo counter is better than shuppet/banette who don't help you get cards in anyway.

I understand your point, but i still think banette is better.
A. Shuppet is very good
B. Bannette has an AMAZING second attack.
C. It combos nicely with uxie.
A. Shuppet is a very good archetype, all of which the pieces are not in SP.
B. I'm confused, isn't the second attack what we were talking about when talking about Bannete, or are we talking about it's first attack? It'll get KO'd before you get a chance to use it, not to mention you're discarding that energy.
C. The more you discard with Banette, the more you damage him and get a possible revenge KO, you're also discarding those cards, not sending them back. Like if you have a luxray X in hand, you have to discard it, or send it back to the deck via radar, which usually gets the lv.X. This guy never cares about what's in your hand, what state it's in, it's attack always works, and it always gets you cards.

Thing I like about it is that it's pokepower is Stackable, and you can pair it with Slowking HGSS to choose which two cards you opponent looks at.

Thing I like about it is that it's pokepower is Stackable, and you can pair it with Slowking HGSS to choose which two cards you opponent looks at.
Interesting, I know most sabelock decks try to aviod the HGSS slowking, but this might be enough incentive if Mewtwo X becomes popular enough. LoL, I wonder how that works out in comparison to just normally drawing a card.

Call me crazy, but I can see this thing working well with Slowking HGSS and...FLYGON. Why Flygon, you may say? Well, you put the BEST of the three cards on the bottom of the three that you get to see, let the opponent pick between the two lesser options and then you draw into the best of the three cards next turn. This while a second Slowking HGSS can arrange what Flygon will discard.

Just a thought.

I definitely think it's an interesting card. Flyking might see some play later this year or next year.

I wonder if it would benefit to run a few Underground Expedition, just in case your opponent puts a card you really needed (DCE, etc) on the bottom of your deck and you have no way to search for it. It'll be interesting to see.

A. Shuppet is a very good archetype, all of which the pieces are not in SP.
B. I'm confused, isn't the second attack what we were talking about when talking about Bannete, or are we talking about it's first attack? It'll get KO'd before you get a chance to use it, not to mention you're discarding that energy.
C. The more you discard with Banette, the more you damage him and get a possible revenge KO, you're also discarding those cards, not sending them back. Like if you have a luxray X in hand, you have to discard it, or send it back to the deck via radar, which usually gets the lv.X. This guy never cares about what's in your hand, what state it's in, it's attack always works, and it always gets you cards.

A. People run E-Belt, and e belt + shuppet + sad Plox. And sad toxicroak.
B. I should have said 'other attack'.
C. It is great in conjunction with uxie and it's other attack.

---------- Post added 06/14/2010 at 03:49 PM ----------

Call me crazy, but I can see this thing working well with Slowking HGSS and...FLYGON. Why Flygon, you may say? Well, you put the BEST of the three cards on the bottom of the three that you get to see, let the opponent pick between the two lesser options and then you draw into the best of the three cards next turn. This while a second Slowking HGSS can arrange what Flygon will discard.

Just a thought.

And sorry, i don't really understanding what you are saying.

A. People run E-Belt, and e belt + shuppet + sad Plox. And sad toxicroak.
B. I should have said 'other attack'.
C. It is great in conjunction with uxie and it's other attack.
A. Well since the concern here is mewtwo in the first place, it really doesn't matter what it has to do with toxicroak, and what does this do that uxie can't do better, since it can use any sort of energy?

C. But you're still discarding cards, and having to rearrange things in your hand, just to use it's attack. Also, why do we even care about it's other attack? It's sub par compared to the SP you're running and it's second attack, you're even discarding energy with that attack.

Back