Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

South West Regional Report :)

ape101

Hello there, my 1st thread!!! Woop

My deck consisted of 3 main lines: Arbok δ(2-2), Kingler δ (3-3) and Raichu δ (2-2). I used Latios EX δ as a tech.
The Deck's main strategy was to completely annihilate non-EXs by kinglering them to death by using tools and minimizing damage with metal energy. Playing Mr. Brineys Compassion also aided in stopping my opponent drawing a prize.

The tournament was held at Clifton Road Games in Exeter and was a very enjoyable event. There were 5 rounds best of one, age modified Swiss. Top cut of 4 best players. However the prize support didnt arrive grrr, but there were boosters so it wasn't so bad.

Here is my tournament match report:

Round 1: VS Robert ( Boom deck)

Horrible match up to start off with. I drew a rubbish starting hand and stalled for several turns. It was quite fortunate he hadn't the best of starts otherwise the game would have been over in no time. I managed to put out a Raichu δ and Kingler δ, but messed up. I completely forgot about Latios EX δ to ice barrier with and attached energy root to kingler instead of cessation crystal. Both these mistakes ended up costing me the game as i just couldn't KO his Bannette EX. :frown:

0 Wins 1 Loss

Round 2: VS Dot ( Shedinja DX, Hitmonchan UF, Feraligatr UF)

I couldn't personally see much startegy to this deck as i kept KO-ing her unevolved basics. I kept being ultra cautious thinking something devastating was round the corner. However Kingler stood strong. I eventually Briney'ed him up as he'd taken quite a bit of damage. I sent out Arbok δ and Full Flamed to poison and eventually KO her Shuckle UF. By this time i had a fully charged Kingler ready to go. I retreated Arbok δ and whacked out Kingler δ. She had a Shedinja UF out so i cessationed Kingler And KO'ed it. She then brought out Feraligatr with NO Energy and i proceed to Ko it in 2 turns to draw my last prize. Woo comeback time !!!!!!!

1Wins 1 Loss

Round 3: VS Mystery Moustached Man ( Boom, again!!) [Sorry can't remember name:S]

Nooooo another Boom deck, how will i cope?? Well i got an average draw and started with Krabby Vs Lapras LM. I got my kingler out 2nd turn thanks to celio and cursed stone and cessationed. I gradually drained away lapras. However he had a Bannette Ex waiting in the wings. I tactfully mentored for a Latios EX δ and benched him. After sustaining 70 damage from Bannette EX's attack i briney'ed Kingler and ice barriered with Latios EX d. Benched Krabby ready for a full assault. I don't think he teched specifically against my Latios EX δ and i ended up winning after 2 ice barriers and help from cursed stone!

2 Wins 1 Loss

Round 4: VS Jacob ( Gardevoir δ, Dusclops CG, Wobuffet PK)

This was very similar to one of my very well acquainted friend's deck which used metagross DX as well. I knew exactly how this deck worked so i had an advantage knowing how to play.
I turn 2 Kingler'd and KO'ed one of his basics. He brought out Kirlia and evolved to Gardy δ. He did 50 damage with Black magic but i wasn't phased. I'd just spotted a OHKO manoeuvre i could make. I attached strength charm to Kingler δ, played cursed stone and Ko'ed with Prop-Up Pinchers :D!!
With the main threat out of the way i picked off his basics in one hit until he had none left!!!!

3 Wins 1 Loss

Round 5: VS Dave Pearson (Shiftry EX, Milotic δ, Lickitung δ)

I was terrified of this match. This was one matchup i didn't want to happen! His sheer speed and power would surely overwhelm me, i thought.
I got ridiculously lucky with the draw. Mine was average but his was awful. He couldn't get the Shiftry Ex's out quick enough to end the game in a couple of turns. I managed to gain a strong foothold in the game by using a combo of Raichu δ and Kingler δ. Later on i brought out an Arbok δ which proved crucial later on in the game. After Briney'ing Kingler once i sent out Raichu to KO his Shiftry EX CG. He then proceeded to Dirge my Raichu δ with his Shiftry EX PK. I whipped out a speedy Latios EX d to ice barrier him to allow me to recouperate slightly. Dave sent out a Lickitung δ followed by another to assault my Latios EX δ and proceeded to KO it after 3 turns.
It was tense. 1 prize left each. I sent out Kingler to KO Lickitung δ and his Shiftry did 70 damage to me. I needed to bring out Arbok δ and poison and burn him. He rolled two tails and failed to draw an energy which resulted in me hitting him with a 'Strangle' to end the game. Far too close for comfort.

4- 1

Well i made it to the Top Cut, wooo, along with Dave Pearson, Russell Murray & Robert.

It was soon after this elation i realised who I was playing. Robert. Boom playing Robert. The only person to beat me in the entire tournament. Grrr. This did not bode well. O well lets see how it played out.

Semi Final: VS Robert (Boom)

Off to a good start with a mentor a krabby, Kingler and Pikachu δ in my hand. I used the Pikachu δ to stall while I charged up Krabby/ Kingler. Once Pikachu δ was KO'd, I mentored for a Latios EX δ and scrambled for a quick Prop-Up Pinchers for a prize. As soon as Latios EX δ was out the game was all over. His Bannette's couldn't get around ice barrier, and i kept drawing prize after prize. He frantically searched for a Bannette CG, but, alas, was prized. Woohoo onto the final!

5-1

FINAL: VS "Drumroll" Russell Murray (Latilock)

Stakes were high. It was 1 match between me and an enormous trophy! I never thought i would get this far but now that I did i really didn't want to lose.
I started the game with an average draw and managed to evolve to Kingler δ 2nd turn. I kept Body Slamming his 2 Laitos without paralysis so he could retreat 1 for the other. Unfortunately for Russ his draw wasn't so great and couldn't draw the energy he needed. I kept KO'ing his EXs and drew my 6 prizes!!!!

6-1

Final Standings:
1st: Tom Hall
2nd: Russell Murray
3rd: =Dave Pearson
=Robert

It was over! I had won the South- West Regional. Wooohooo! It was a gruelling 7 games, but worth it just for the self satisfaction. In the Masters category, congrats to everyone who took part as only 7 of us turned up! All of us got Nats invites. Well done everybody!:clap:

Last edited:
lol o well i'm sure i'll get over it. You said on 2 consecutive games i'd lost when i won in the end lol:tongue:

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

No, no Mystery Moustache Man is his real name/Paul whichever really. Thanks for the honourable mention BTW.
Dave

Last edited:
I have to say running a top cut that didn't play Matchplay is not a good idea..

I wonder how best of three would have turned out?

Back