Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Special Energies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuRa

I would like an official ruling on how special energy comes into play when pokemon can/must discard energy. For example SS Arcanine's Burn Up, it says if you flip tail discard all fire energy attached to Arcanine. Is this only BASIC fire energy, or all eneries providing fire energy? For example:

Arcanine has Fire, Water, and Multi Energy attached, it uses burn up and flips tails.

I always though you had to discard the multi, but I heard that that the judges ruled otherwise at CA State Championship (that you didn't have to discard the multi because the fire symbol on the card only implies basic Fire energy)

Would the same ruling apply for manual discards? For example TA Cacturne's Dark Bind allows you to discard a Darkness energy to paralyze the opponent, could you discard a multi energy (assuming it is the only special energy attached and is providing all types) could you also discard an Aqua Energy to do the same effect? (Even though the Aqua Energy would normally be discarded anyway)

Thanks for clarifying!

Additional discussion can be found over here: http://pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=6256

But here's the most recent ruling from the Compendium-EX:
== BURN UP (Arcanine - EX:Sandstorm)

Q. If Sandstorm Arcanine has a Multi energy/Rainbow energy card and two other non fire energy cards attached and uses its Burn Up attack and flips tails, would it have to discard the Multi/Rainbow energy Card?
A. Yes. They are considered Fire Energy cards since they provide Fire Energy. (Mar 25, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Hope this helps,
- CHRISBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back