Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Special Worlds Side Event: The EX-On Challenge!

ExoByte

Master Trainer
As an experiment, I will be running at least one special side event at Worlds. This will be the EX-On Challenge. This will be a constructed deck tournament, with legal sets being anything from the EX series (beginning with EX Ruby & Sapphire) to Platinum Rising Rivals being legal.

Information:
  1. First event will begin reg Friday @ 10 am.
  2. The current plan is 32 masters and 32 JR/SR in age modified swiss. (this will increase if there is big demand)
  3. We will start when the event is full, or at 11am, whichever is first.
  4. This event is _non sanctioned_ (No ratings points)
  5. This event will run at DOUBLE the standard side event prize schedule, and will include bonus prizes of playmats, and other things i'll dig up around the office
  6. If there is enough demand, we will run another event.

As this is a special event, I'll make adjustments as needed to keep things moving (changing the number of registrants in age groups, etc.)

PLEASE post here with any comments on this. Ruels questions, etc. Tell your friends and have them post here as well. If you are fairly certain you will play in this event, make a post to that effect w/ your age division, like:

ExoByte said:
Attedning! Masters

Rulesy Stuff
  1. Trainers: Any Diamond & Pearl or later cards that mention "Trainers" do not include any Supporters or Stadiums, even those that used to be labeled as Trainers in older sets. Pre-Diamond & Pearl cards that mention "Trainers" do include all Supporters and Stadiums from any set. (May 3, 2007 PUI Rules Team; Aug 30, 2007 PUI Rules Team)
  2. Level-UP: Just like [G] is part of a Pokémon's name EX is too. Just like Palkia can't Level-up to Palkia[G] LV. X, Raichu EX can't Level-Up to Raichu LV. X
  3. Cards that USED to restrict Pokémon EX still do. For example, Great Ball from Diamond and Pearl: Stormfront can't find Pokémon EX. As of now Great Ball and Life Herb have this issue. Please post if you find more.
  4. Extra prize on KO effects stack with the EX rule. If you KO a Pokémon EX with Cresselia LV. X's Moon Skip, three prize bonanza occurs!
  5. Any "Triple digit" black star promos are allowed (001, 002 are ok, 01, 02 are not). Of course, any DP black star promos are also ok.
  6. No proxies (or disintegrations).

I'll update this post if there are questions or new information. Look forward to seeing you there!

Last edited:
Is this event only for those who aren't playing in Worlds?

Yes, unless you can run VERY FAST.

I figure main attendees will be those who don't get in via the LCQ. Also, if the early one is overrun, I may run a later one Friday afternoon/evening, which would allow those who have dropped from the main event to play. With the LCQ going, there simply isn't space to run is on Thursday.

Provided I don't get in to Worlds, I'll definitely be in this. Masters.

Sounds awesome. I hope I don't play it but it will be fun if I do!

Methinks you'll need to loosen the attendance limits on this. There are a LOT of people who want to dust off their old Holon Engine and put it in a Kingdra or Machamp deck. Or make Metanite work one last time. Or possibly use RocLoc for the best lockdown the game has seen since Slowking.

[Shatner] Too... Many... Options... Can't... De..cide.....[/Shatner]

oh god.

if i were at worlds i would definitely play in this, with my good ol deck - the Flygon d HP variants.... <3<3<3

Pity that I can't make it this year.

Yay :) Luckily I saved my Holon Engine lol
Just 1 question. Does this include all the old Nintendo promos also?

Yay :) Luckily I saved my Holon Engine lol
Just 1 question. Does this include all the old Nintendo promos also?

All the "triple digit" promos are allowed. Thanks for asking, top post updated. :thumb:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Methinks you'll need to loosen the attendance limits on this. There are a LOT of people who want to dust off their old Holon Engine and put it in a Kingdra or Machamp deck. Or make Metanite work one last time. Or possibly use RocLoc for the best lockdown the game has seen since Slowking.

[Shatner] Too... Many... Options... Can't... De..cide.....[/Shatner]

I'm personally head judging this, so if we need to crank the number of people I'll do it!

Last edited:
It's about time. There needs to be an extended format for Pokemon. Glad someone is listening out there.

I almost wish I wasn't qualified for Worlds so I could play in this. Almost.

I really hope this develops into a real format that is used during the tournament season at premier events though.

As much as I would like to play I am going to be playing in Worlds, however I would be interested to know if there is going to be some type of prize structure. Not a big deal as this sounds like a fun and cool event regardless, I just was curious. :biggrin:

Drew

I Would be 10x more likely to spend time playing Pokemon during the year if this was the format, or something like this was a format that was suited for premier events.

As much as I would like to play I am going to be playing in Worlds, however I would be interested to know if there is going to be some type of prize structure. Not a big deal as this sounds like a fun and cool event regardless, I just was curious. :biggrin:

Drew

ExoByte said:
5. This event will run at DOUBLE the standard side event prize schedule, and will include bonus prizes of playmats, and other things i'll dig up around the office

:unknown-e:unknown-x:unknown-o

DEFINATELY playing in this if the Grinder doesn't work out (...It never has before, why should this year be different? <_<)

I'm not sure this would be a good format for Premier events (sounds reeeally hectic with all the rulings), but for side events with support? Yes please!

Just out of curiosity, but on another board we're trying to figure out if there's any specific motivation for this.

Variety in side events at Worlds? Testing a new format? Something else that can (or cannot :tongue:) be revealed?

Back