Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Spikes VGA, It was a collosal waste of time.

Crinus

I saw it coming, last time I even sat down to watch it was during the year Halo was released, it pretty much should of been called Spikes Halo awards because that was about all that won on every award.

Tonight they had some more blunders, COD MW3 best shooter over Battlefield 3 was laughable.

Skyrim which is a good game should of not won GOTY over Skyward Sword. Truly its 1a and 1b type of thing though.

You just dont push the best Zelda game in 13 years off to the side and then offer it into gaming HOF to make up for it not winning squat, its just a poor reason.

Its why it took years to even look at the VGA again, probably going to be another 10 yrs before I watch it again.

Skyward sword should have won it all IMO, battlefield 3 >>>> COD 3. Cod 3 is just a rehash of mw2, with flashier guns and no zombies.

Yeah I mean who just made those votes anyway?

I know a real voting system of players would most certainly put BF3 as a better game, who knows if it was nominated for GOTY that it might of won that.

Skyrim is in the same boat to, while it is a good game, most players would of never voted it GOTY because of its bugs due to a fast launch, whereas Skyward Sword was initially a 2012 release that got into gear to get released before the holidays of this year, plus it never had problems with glitches or bugs like Skyrim did.

common sense, you just dont brush off a game that got 10/10 like that. They tried making up for it by putting it in the first Hall of fame..............its just a poor attempt to cover up the fact they were going to give GOTY to Skyrim and they knew this before hand which is why they did it.

Zelda shouldnt be the first game in the Video games HOF, again dig the smell of bull?

Last edited:
You make it sound like people actually care about what wins what or that someone cares about one channel's opinions of videogames lol. I mean, it's Spike TV...that's about as serious as you should be expected to take it. They probably paid everyone to show up for whatever phony award they want to give out.

I haven't played Skyrim yet, and Zelda is an awesome game (what I've played of it so far) but you'd have to be a tremendous fanboy to say that Zelda should have won 100%. What is it about Skyrim that makes it so inferior in your opinion? I didn't have much hope for Zelda winning, but any I did was gone as soon as Batman beat it for best Action/Adventure title.

The VGAs are a 2 hour advertisement spot. Nothing less, nothing more. There were only 6 awards handed out on air as opposed to 13 trailers (ads) with even more unrelated ads for commercial breaks.

I'd say the actual awards were the best part of the show. They were either deserved or at least justifiable.

As for the people who did the voting and nominations, there are a lot of names I highly respect on the list:
Andy McNamara (Editor in Chief, Game Informer Magazine)
Brian Crecente (Editor in Chief, Kotaku)
Chris Baker (Senior Editor, Wired Magazine)
Chris Kohler (Games Editor, Wired.com)
Chris Slate (Editor-In-Chief, Nintendo Power Magazine)
Christopher Grant (Editor in Chief, Joystiq)
Dale North (Editor in Chief, Destructoid)
Francesca Reyes (Editor in Chief, Official Xbox Magazine)
Gary Steinman (Editor in Chief, GamesRadar)
Geoff Keighley (Host, SPIKE)
Jeff Gerstmann (Editor in Chief, Giant Bomb)
Jeff Jensen (Senior Writer, Entertainment Weekly)
Jerry Holkins (Writer / Co-Creator, Penny Arcade)
John Davison (VP of Programming, GameSpot & Metacritic)
Logan Decker (Editor in Chief, PC Gamer Magazine)
Lou Kesten (Reviewer/Editor, The Associated Press)
Mike Krahulik (Artist / Co-Creator, Penny Arcade)
Mike Snider (Technology Reporter, USA Today)
Rich Greenhill (Director of Content and Programming, Yahoo Games)
Sam Kennedy (Director of Audience Generation, IGN.com/1UP.com)
Scott Alexander (Freelance Writer, Playboy & Family Circle)
Shane Satterfield (VP of Content, SPIKE Digital Entertainment)
Stephen Totilo (Deputy Editor, Kotaku)
Tal Blevins (VP Games Content, IGN Entertainment)
Tina Amini (Assistant Editor / Video Games Channel Manager, Complex Magazine)

Edit: Also, why wouldn't they take the chance to induct The Legend of Zelda into the Hall of Fame on its 25th Anniversary and a year a flagship entry in the series (not something terrible like Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass) is released? Seriously. The VGAs are terrible, but for none of the reasons you've listed. It's also a lot better than it was in previous years.

Skyrim had a shaky launch with bugs, glitches, some never fixed yet most namely on the PS3.

Apparently all of this ignored.

as for the ones who did the voting on that list, I would question just how qualified are they to vote?

Do i see someone who does Playboy on that list? are you kidding me?

The inducted LOZ into the HOF because it was brushed aside in any meaningful award, best Wii title? well duhhhh.

Because if you going to do a HOF, you would look at other games first like Mario before you would look at Zelda.

Much more qualified than you. Davison, Kohler, Kennedy, and Holkins are four of my top favourite writers in the industry. Keighley, Gerstmann, Totilo, and Slate are also great although I don't usually follow them personally. Yes, some of them work for questionable websites (Kotaku, Joystiq, IGN ugh) but for the most part it's a great list.

Zelda didn't get "brushed aside". It lost. The people who voted enjoyed Skyrim and Batman more than Zelda. It's understandable. Those are both great games. I haven't gotten to Batman yet (going to do so after Zelda) but my friends who have had an amazing time with it. Most people I know are currently completely engrossed in Skyrim. A game isn't defined by its bugs. It's defined by its experience. Not to mention who the heck is playing Skyrim on PS3. Grab that on PC :p And hey, at least Skyrim doesn't have a gamebreaking bug that stops the player from finishing the game and forces them to restart *cough*SKYWARDSWORD*cough*.

I wouldn't look at Mario before Zelda btw. Timing is much better for Zelda right now for the reasons I mentioned. You don't need to go in order.

If they playing Skyrim on PC and Skyrim won GOTY because its on PC, BF3 rightfully deserves to be nomimated for GOTY as well.

I dont think any award is legit unless gamers are the ones voting for it.

Its just a joke if a playboy writer is voting on it and its laughable.

They're all gamers. That's why they're voting. Here's a great article by Alexander on Family Circle about gaming with your kids. I'm obviously not going to dig up any gaming articles he wrote for PlayBoy to link here as I'm pretty sure that'd be against the rules ;D They play far more games a year than you and I. I'd much rather have critics pick it than leave it up to popular vote. At that point you may as well leave it up to sales numbers.

I don't see much to disagree with here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Video_Game_Awards#2011_Awards
Sure my personal picks are different, but you're saying these are terrible? Please. Stop honing in on the outlet that someone frequently freelances for and make an actual argument.

Battlefield 3 didn't get nominated for GOTY because it's not really GOTY-worthy imo. Your opinion may differ. The industry does seem to have a bias against multiplayer when it comes to GOTY and BF3's single-player is laughable.

MW3 winning best shooter is laughable, its the same thing as MW2, BF3 at least has something worth wild.

I think the fact that MW3 wins over BF3 completely nullifies every other award given. Thats just how ridiculous that was.

Skyrim is in the same boat to, while it is a good game, most players would of never voted it GOTY because of its bugs due to a fast launch, whereas Skyward Sword was initially a 2012 release that got into gear to get released before the holidays of this year, plus it never had problems with glitches or bugs like Skyrim did.

I'm a big Zelda fan, but Skyward Sword isn't without any bugs or glitches. At the point in the game with the Dragons, if you go to the Lightning one first and talk to a particular Goron twice, you lose all your saved data (unless you saved it onto an SD card). Considering how easy it is to do that, loads of people have had to start their games again.

I'm a big Zelda fan, but Skyward Sword isn't without any bugs or glitches. At the point in the game with the Dragons, if you go to the Lightning one first and talk to a particular Goron twice, you lose all your saved data (unless you saved it onto an SD card). Considering how easy it is to do that, loads of people have had to start their games again.

Incorrect. It doesn't delete your save data, but prevents you from continuing, but can be prevented by not saving the game. Plus who really goes to the Lightning Dragon first, much less talks to the Goron immediately after?

Anyway Spike hasn't ever been a reliable source of information, much less credible enough warrant attention for their flimsy rewards.

Incorrect. It doesn't delete your save data, but prevents you from continuing, but can be prevented by not saving the game. Plus who really goes to the Lightning Dragon first, much less talks to the Goron immediately after?

Anyway Spike hasn't ever been a reliable source of information, much less credible enough warrant attention for their flimsy rewards.

I've talked to a few people about this, and none knew about the glitch before playing through this. It's probably pretty rare to happen, but I'd bet that a lot of people have still had to start their games again because of it. I got 30 hours into the Windwaker quest when it was first released before I lost my saved data (not a problem with the actual game), and I never had the heart to go through and do it all again.

OMG wasnt it lol I felt cheated out of my 2 hours watching it ... The only things that was worth watching in it was the new game trailers and seeing Miyamoto get the hall of fame award for zelda and thats it ... I wish G4 still did video game award shows =\

OMG wasnt it lol I felt cheated out of my 2 hours watching it ... The only things that was worth watching in it was the new game trailers and seeing Miyamoto get the hall of fame award for zelda and thats it ... I wish G4 still did video game award shows =\
G4 announced their nominations:

Game of the Year
Batman: Arkham City
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Gears of War 3
L.A. Noire
Portal 2
Saints Row: The Third
Super Mario 3D Land

Yes, Gears of War 3 is up for a GOTY there, but Zelda is not.

I trust the list of people that Spike has doing their awards much more than the people at G4 at this point. I stopped paying attention to G4 when Patrick Klepeck Andrew Pfister left.

I like G4 as a channel but I have never watched their awards either if that tells you anything.

That list from G4 just makes it all the easier to give it to Skyrim to.

Back