Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Spr BR in Blue Bell, PA 6/6/09

nickseitler

Hey guys, I didn't pay too much attention to the juniors and seniors division, mainly my own. Anyways, I wake up at 6:30 AM in my hometown of Reisterstown, MD. I get some breakfast, watch ESPN top ten plays and hit the road (little did I know this would be tedious.)

The trip itself is 3 HOURS AWAY from Reisterstown, but I figure leave at 7, get there 10 am for registration no problem right? Wrong, my GPS connector cable doesn't work with the GPS, I mean the connector end on the GPS is pulled out and the GPS is garbage, was working before and granted i've been on the road for 40 mins prior to realizing this. I happen to look up and batteries almost dead... :( So I go to Aberdeen information center and ask a lady if I can print directions she says no... move on to library.... closed! (doesn't open till 10 am problem... its 8:30 AM) :( So I decide to check Mr. Tire and some foods place... both no good...arrrggh... at this point i'm worried I won't even MAKE the tournament. I call up a hotel (best optionm at the moment) they HAVE internet and will look up the address for me :) So I drive over there, and they are SLOW AS MOLASSES, but I manage to get directions after 30 mins of helping/ (they didn't let me do it myself :( ) Sooo... I hit the road again from Aberdeen (still have 1:30 mins to go) at 9:20 AM :-0 I'm thinking I won't make it in time but i'll try anyway. I SPEED down the road (top speed like 80 MPH) and eventually make it to the tournament at 10:39 AM luckily they hadn't started yet (and I had my decklist written out) With JUST enough money to cover toll expenses too.... didn't realize it costs 13 dollars to go up to Philly, PA and back in one day. Plus 20 dollars just for gas... Geez! Anyways, decklist....

TOTAL CARDS: 60

POKEMON: 19
Stage 2: 4
4 : Kingdra, LA-7
Stage 1: 5
2 : Claydol, GE-15
3 : Seadra, LA-70
Basic: 10
4 : Horsea, LA-102
1 : Crobat G, PL-47
3 : Uxie, LA-43
2 : Baltoy, GE-60

TRAINERS: 28
Trainers: 15
1 : Night Maintenance, MT-113
2 : Warp Point, MD-88
4 : Rare Candy, GE-102
4 : SSU
3 : PlusPower, SW-121
1 : Luxury Ball, SF-86
Supporters: 10
2 : Felicity's Drawing, GE-98
4 : Bebe's Search, MT-109
4 : Roseanne's Research, SW-125
Stadiums: 3
3 : Broken Time-Space, PL-104

ENERGY: 13
Basic Energy: 13
13 : Water Energy, DP-125

So I get there and the tournament operator Dorian is very nice. She welcomes me to the tournament and I get registered. I quickly hit the bathroom and water fountain and we're ready to go.

Game 1 vs Raymond Barnes with Dusknoir

Alirght, I call the die tails and end up going second in this match. He starts with a lone Duskull. he looks at his hand, doesn't do anything (just kinda sits there for 4-5 minutes) and finally passes to me. I already have 1 horsea down, I draw uxie. I play water energy to active horsea, a plus power and use the uxie. I get a bebes a candy and something else. use bebes to get kingdra T1 and donk him.

1-0

Game 2 vs Anthony Saquarado (Sorry if I spelled it or got it wrong) with a Speed Kingdra deck.

This guy's cool, plays almost exactly the same deck as I except without a few other stuff (crobat G's. pluspowers, etc.)

MIRROR MATCH: Alright, he ends up going first against my active uxie (all I had) He has an active horsea and play a water energy for reverse thrust 10. I draw horsea with a candy in hand already. i play horsea and use bebes to get kingdra and get kingdra turn 1 again. unfortunatly i can't play a water energy on uxie and kingdra, so I play one on kingdra and try my one and only super scoop up. it WORKS! I bring up kingdra and dragon pump for the game. That horsea was all he had active and he went first. I played some practice games with my champ deck after the game and he murdered me with speed so I truly believe I just got lucky in this matchup. GG Anthony!

2-0

Game 3 and final pool play match vs Justin with Magmortar/Dusknoir/Rayquaza

Alright, this guy is also 2-0 and is pretty good with his deck. He starts with a rayquaza and benched magmar and I have an uxie and benched horsea. I go second again! Yay! Unfort, Rayquaza has a lot of health. So we play through and I end up getting kingdras up like turn 3 or 4. he has a lone magmortar benched. I kill the rayquaza eventually and he brings up magmortar. His bench consists on nothing until he roseannes and gets stuff like baltoy and another magmar. by the end of the turn he also has a duskull benched. Well he ko's uxie I warp pointed for some reason (can't remember why) and he kos it. So I kingdra dragon pump 90 on magmortar and 20 to duskull bench. he ends up with a magmortar x next turn and does some burn adn otehr stuff and by the end of the turn like 70 on kingdra after burn. I lay down crobat and duskull has 30 on it now, and then i ko both magmortar x and duskull with dragon pump. he sends up claydol and when he sees he has nothing left, he concedes to me during the game. YAY! 3-0 in pool play.

3-0

So after much discussion about "Who is this Nick Seitler kid?" and some quick chats between Justin and Anthony (they're best friends) Anthony wanted Justin to drop so Anthony would get another shot at me, but Justin stays in and plays against me. They have their own stategy session about how to beat me for like 15 minutes then .... We get ready for the finals. Both of us get our decks are checked and the match is closely watched by the TO and another judge. I end up against..... Justin with Magmortar/Dusknoir/Rayquaza.

T2 Cut Finals vs Justin Magmortar/Dusknoir/Rayquaza

Game 1: Ok so I end up going second AGAIN! Wow 4 times going second and he starts with a lone magmar against my active horsea and benched baltoy. He goes... energy to magmar and attacks for like 20. I unfortunatly don't have anything so I bebe's for claydol and hit him for reverse thrust 30 due to weakness. he goes T2 has absolutly nothing attacks for anotehr 20. I go, use claydol, get pluspower. reverse thrust vs his only pokemon (magmar) Game!

4-0

Game 2: Muuuuuuuucchhhhhh longer. to make a long story short, I start strong early.... later, he gets dusknoir and uses that TERRIBLY ANNOYING DARK PALM POWER to get rid of several kingdras and claydols while pounding away with magmortar. lucky for me he failed several times with rayquaza energy gain. I pound on raquaza till he has 30 left, he retreats and uses magmortar and gets me into a spot where all i have is uxie's active and 1 benched claydol with an uxie. lucky i have my stadium in play (BTS), use claydol and roseannes to get a kingdra late. I was up 2 prizes to 6 early on but he comes back and ties it 2-2. late game when all looks bleak for me, I am able to draw felicitys to get that kingdra I just mentioned and get it active by SSU on active Uxie. this is my last shot to win so i make it count. I set down crobat g for 10 more on rayquaza bringing him up to 80. and let loose a dragon pump on active magmortar X (X at this point) and hit benched rayquaza for 20 to draw my final two prizes. WOW what a GG Justin. Didn't think he would hang around that long. But dusknoir made a believer out of me. I just won my first tournament in a LONGGGG time (since 2003 when I won a league tournament for holo energys with my Sneasel deck built by Jason Klacyzinsky SP?) I get 8 boosters of RR and a victory medal pokemon card. LOTS of fun and thanks to everyone at the store for being so nice and to Jake for helping with learn the ins and outs of Dialga G decks.

In case your wondering, the only real good thing I got in my boosters is a brand new Infernape level X with intimidating roar. but hey, some people didn't get any boosters so I was happy!

Props:

-Everyone who helped me get to and from Blue Bell, PA without any kind of navigation device. I literally GOT DIRECTIONS ON THE ROAD! That'd be the store owner, Dorian, the other Guy at Alt Universes, the slow people in Aberdeen and tomtom for a while there.
-ME For winning my first actual OP event (2009 BR Spring Champion)
- Kingdra, Crobat G, Felicity's drawing, claydol, and other really good cards
- Getting an Infernape Level X
- Ice Cream Sundaes ( I know, kind of random, Had one today as sort of a little reward after a day of HE**)

Slops:

- Taking a LONNGGG time to get there 3 hours.....!
- GPS for breaking on me ON THE ROAD
- Drivers who cut you off on the road (esp when they're on the cell phone)
- Tolls from MD to PA being 13.00 total!
- Not pulling much in my packs....
- Anthony strategizing with Justin... idk, just seems odd, they were all secluded in a back corner too...

Anyways a big thank you to you for reading this and hope you enjoyed! I know I did, even though it was a challenge.
See you guys around!

Last edited:
Back