Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

sunchris's 3 Cities Adventure 1 Deck 1 3rd Place (with Deck list)

sunchris

So the Eastern side of Washington on had 4 CCs total but missing one I knew I had to do really good in the last three to have a small chance at having a very good season. All thee CCs happened within 1 week and 2 in one weekend. For those that I can't remember the name I'll just include the deck due to the fact that I forgot to write down the names and everyone left before I could gather the information.

So here is the deck I call Doom Birds:

(Deck List 1)
POKEMON: 20
1 : Staraptor FB Lv.X, SV-147
1 : Absol G Lv.X, SV-141
1 : Honchkrow, SV-29
1 : Drifblim, UD-12
1 : Murkrow, SV-72
1 : Absol G, SV-1
1 : Drifloon, SF-58
1 : Staraptor FB, SV-11
3 : Sableye, SF-48
1 : Azelf, LA-19
1 : Crobat G, PL-47
1 : Uxie, LA-43
2 : Honchkrow G, PL-77
1 : Skuntank G, PL-94
1 : Toxicroak G, Promo-37
2 : Houndoom G, PL-50

TRAINERS: 27
3 : Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poke Turn, PL-118
2 : Team Galactic's Invention G-109 SP Radar, RR-96
1 : Luxury Ball, SF-86
2 : Technical Machine TS-2, LA-137
3 : Team Galactic's Invention G-101 Energy Gain, PL-116
4 : Cyrus's Conspiracy, PL-105
2 : Bebe's Search, RR-89
2 : Looker's Investigation, PL-109
2 : Aaron's Collection, RR-88
3 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97
1 : Palmer's Contribution, SV-139
2 : Snowpoint Temple, LA-134

ENERGY: 13
3 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
2 : Psychic Energy, GS-119
8 : Darkness Energy, GS-121

1st CCs Sunday January 2, 2011 Richland, WA 20 Masters 5 rounds of Swiss Top 4 Cut

Round 1 Nick B. w/ Eevee Legend:

I started Promo-Croak, with Difloon to his Togepi start. I go first I attached to Croak and pass. He goes has nothing and does plead (I let him do the damage to me). I go attached another energy and get the turn 2 donk.

1-0

Round 2 Dylan S w/ Jumpluff

So I start Honchkrow G and Houndoom G to his Unknown Q Start and 2 Hoppips. He goes first draws and attaches an energy to hoppip and passes. I go draw a poke turn (I have crobat G in my hand) play crobat for flashbite on Hoppip attached a darkness energy to Honchkrow, G Cyrus's for a Gain, Dark, and Cyrus, attach gain to honchkrow G and Target attack the hoppip with the damage and get the KO. I took a 2 prize lead and then he went off. It literally came down to a 1-1 prize count but He managed to get another Jumpluff up and there was enough pokes on the field to KO my houndoom G.

1-1

Round 3 DJ B w/ Feraligatr/Blastoise

Lol this was a long game but he was up in prize count with him 2 prizes and me 3 prizes but I managed to lost zone a Rare Candy, Wartortle, and a Energy. Thing is though he used a lot of Dig Well and severely reduced his deck size. He sends out a totadile after I KO'ed his active Blastoise. Hoping that in his last three cards was his Coconaw he play PETM but found out that it was prized and attacked just for 20. After that he couldn't do anything to win or keep himself from decking out so next turn he played Buck's to draw his last card and next trun that game ended. I've never played a match where my opponent decked himself...It was funny. GG

2-1

Round 4 Nikki N w/ Gyarados/Luxay X Tech

So I was totally prepared for this. I managed to tech in the right cards to give me a better chance against this deck. EXCEPT I didn't mentally prepare myself for this so I'll skip allllllll the way to the +3 part of the match. So time is called and it was still her turn so she was 0 and 2 while I was 1 and 3. We are tied 3-3 in Prizes and she kos one of my pokes for a prize. I go and KO a Gdos (at this point I have Honckrow SV with a DBC and Darkness and its attack is doing 120 damage) We are still tied going into the final turn...my turn. I send up Honchkrow (which also has 70 damage on it) and play my last cyrus's (which I got from my last prize) to get a enegy and my last poketurn. I play turn pick up crobat an play it back down and flashbite the active Gdos. NOW here is where I messed up...my Riot attack was doing 130 damage after Darkness Restoring a Sableye to her bench...but I made the mental mistake to retreat him and send a healthly Absol G X (I COULD HAVE WON THE GAME RIGHT THERE CAUSE THE GDOS WASN'T BELTED ) once I realized my mistake I prayed that something bad didn't happen cause all she needed was a poketurn and she would win in sudden death...I attack with darkness slugger for 60 + 10 for the flash bite so 70. She goes...sudden death...and...she top draws a turn (I almost began to cry cause I knew I had the game but failed to take action) she turns her crobat G and flash bites my absol G X and Ko's it for the game with Gdos...I was very upset. GG
2-2

Round 5 Julie B w/ Vilegar

Lol...so its like one of my worst matchups (or so I thought) but however...I have her weakness and resistance with my Absol G She gets me trainer locked by turn 3 but I've had sableye active the whole time so I've managed to play most of my supporters to get myself setup for the trainer lock. I also get my Poison Structure Strategy going TWICE! Woot! I use my strategy and KO a gengar X and Gengar SF with poison. I also managed to lost zone a Oddish, haunter, energy, and a warp point. With what I did I made her deck pretty much useless cause the only card that would help her was Palmer's and it was prized. I steamed roll to with 6 prizes to her 2 (crobat G and skuntank G),

3-2

So I got tenth place cause of the opponents win percentage and everybody from 5th place to 10th place we also all 3-2. Onto the next weekend.

2nd CCs Saturday January 8, 2011 Spokane Valley, WA 32 Masters 5 rounds of Swiss Top 8 Cut (Woot First every chance at a Top 8)

(Deck revision 1)
POKEMON: 19
Level-Up: 1
1 : Absol G Lv.X, SV-141
Stage 1: 2
1 : Drifblim, UD-12
1 : Honchkrow, SV-29
Basic: 16
2 : Absol G, SV-1
1 : Murkrow, SV-72
1 : Drifloon, SF-58
3 : Sableye, SF-48
1 : Azelf, LA-19
1 : Crobat G, PL-47
1 : Uxie, LA-43
2 : Honchkrow G, PL-77
1 : Skuntank G, PL-94
1 : Toxicroak G, Promo-37
2 : Houndoom G, PL-50

TRAINERS: 28
Trainers: 7
3 : Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poke Turn, PL-118
1 : Team Galactic's Invention G-103 Power Spray, PL-117
2 : Team Galactic's Invention G-109 SP Radar, RR-96
1 : Luxury Ball, SF-86
Technical Machines: 2
2 : Technical Machine TS-2, LA-137
Rocket's Secret Machines: 2
Pokemon Tools: 3
3 : Team Galactic's Invention G-101 Energy Gain, PL-116
Supporters: 14
4 : Cyrus's Conspiracy, PL-105
2 : Bebe's Search, RR-89
2 : Looker's Investigation, PL-109
2 : Aaron's Collection, RR-88
3 : Pokemon Collector, GS-97
1 : Palmer's Contribution, SV-139
Stadiums: 2
2 : Snowpoint Temple, LA-134

ENERGY: 13
Special Energy: 3
3 : Double Colorless Energy, GS-103
Basic Energy: 10
2 : Psychic Energy, GS-119
8 : Darkness Energy, GS-121

Changes Done:
-1-1 Staraptor FB X
+1 Power Spray
+1 Absol G

Round 1 Vs Nick w/ Meganium/Ursaring Prime

So this was very interesting. He starts Smeargle and I start Sableye and Toxicroak. I knew that I had to get my Toxicroak all that I need to help with the OHKO on the Ursaring Prime once it came out but once I saw the Chikorita I also had to get Houndoom G going as well. I Impersonate for Collector and Grab Uxie, Azelf, and Crobat G. He goes Protraits for a Collector in my hand and grabs2 Chikorita and Teddiursa, attached DCE to Smeargle and attacks with Tail Rap for 0 cause he only flipped one heads. We stall for a little bit as we both get setup with what we want and once he KO's my Sableye with ursaring Prime I go on a 6-0 prize run. I later look through his deck and found out that Meganium and Bayleef were both prized but he couldn't get anything going after the first Ursaring got KO'ed. GG

1-0

Round 2 Vs John L. w/ Mightyena LA/Umbreon UD/Absol Prime

So the last time that I played John was during BRs when he was playing Flygar and I lost before time was called. Well this time I knew it was going to be different. I don't get the the Sableye Start bet it get a pretty decent hand. As soon as I saw the Mightyena and Eevee I knew it was going to be tough cause the only ones that could harm Umbreon was Houndoom G, and Driflblim and the only ones not affected by Mightyena was Honchkrow (due to Drifblim having :dark: weakness) so I focused all my effort to getting my houndoom G powered up and going. We stall the first couple of turns trying to get both sides setup. We're finally halfway through the match we he takes the first prize of the game and counter by return Koing with Toxicroak on a Mightyena. He manages to trap some of my pokes with Mightyena but a well played poketurn helped me to tie us in prizes going to the end of the Match. Time is called during his so he was 0 and 2 while I was 1 and 3. During his turn he KO's my active Crobat G with his Belted Mightyena giving him only 1 prize left to my 2. I send up toxicroak (had him out the entire time) and Poison Revenge for 80 and poison. I had a full bench but I also had a Azelf on the bench with Devoluter attached to it and he completely forgets about it and I almost do as well. During his turn he retreats his Mightyena and sends out Absol prime and hits me for 70 thinking that he has the win. I go and first attempt Leap away and it fails. So i attached an energy and retreat Toxicroak and send up Azelf and Devoluter the Mightyena for the KO givng me 2 prizes due to the Expert Belt and I win the game at the last second. It was a very well played match for both of us and very exciting. GG

2-0

Round 3 Marcelo w/ Vilegar

So I'm kinda nervous about this due to the fact that Vilegar does have trainer lock but I have weakness as well on him and have a way to get around Fainting Spell. He starts Spiritomb and 2 Gastly to my 2 Absol Gs and Honchkrow G. By turn Three he has Gengar with Fainting Spell and a Gastly out but no Spiritomb or Vileplume to my 2 absol Gs, Crobat, and honchkrow G. he does Poltergiest but I only have Cyrus's in my hand so he only does 30 to Corbat. I top Drop an E-Gain and attach it to my Absol G along with a Darkness energy. I Cyrus for a Poketurn, Dark energy, and Cyrus but I had Absol G X in my hand already. I retreat Crobat send up Absol G (without energy and e-gain) and level up to Absol G X and use Darkness Send. I send a Haunter and a Rare Candy to the Lost Zone with 2 heads. Then I play poke Turn pick up Absol GX and send out the other Absol with the Energy and E-gain and level that one up to and use Darkness Send again to send a BTS and a :psychic: to the Lost Zone. I attack with Absol G and discard a Card from my hand and do 90 to Gengar. he goes and doesn't draw anything that would help him but he Plays Gengar X on the Gengar and he Shadow rooms my Crobat for a KO. I go and play Cyrus for a poke turn dark and cyrus. Poketurn the Absol G X send up Honchkrow G attached the E-gain to Honchkrow and Dark energy as well play down Absol G and Target Attack to Gengar X for KO and he flips tails on Fainting Spell. He then goes and scoops on his next turn. GG

3-0

Round 4 Neo w/ Flychamp

So I was really scared cause machamp alone was hard for me. However he starts Machop and I Azelf -_- . I go first and happen to have the Psychic energy in my hand but no other poke. I attack for 30 and pray that he doesn't have the Donk. He ends up missing the Donk because of no rare Candy and attaches a fighting and attacks for 10. I go and get the turn 2 donk. I was actually really surprised and relieved at the same time. GG

4-0

Round 5 James L. w/ Gyarados

Lol so us being the on 4-0 people we of course ended up facing each other. I really wanted to play him cause we didn't play the weekend before at Richland and I wanted to win cause he defeated me during the BRs with his Luxchomp deck. This matchup turns out being a really long match going into time as well. I did managed to get Honchkrow SV going and did some early sniping with honchkrow G. I was also matching his Stadiums with my Snowpoint but he finally managed to draw into his third BTS. I also managed to devoluter his Gyarados to get some cheap prizes as well and due to a misplay by James on his last turn I ended up winning instead of him winning. GG

5-0

So for the first time ever for me I go undefeated in Swiss and there is a Top 8. So the top 8 the records where 1 5-0, 4 4-1, and 3 3-2 so I knew i was going to play a 3-2.

Top 8 Dakota w/ Arceus

Game 1

I've only ever played Arceus once before and that was with my Vespiquen deck that got absolutely trashed by it. So my only Strategy was to get my Honchkrow SV up and running so that I can hit for some major damage along with getting toxicroak going as well. I do get everything going and I even attempt an attack with Confusion on my Honchkrow. I end up taking 6 prizes to his 3.

1-0

Game 2

Pretty much it went the same as the first but I started with sableye and kept impersonating Lookers to make him shuffle his hand back it. The game was a little closer but I take all 6 prizes after KOing a Lightning Arceus with a Expert belt attached. GGs

2-0
6-0

Top 4 Brad w/ Luxchomp

Game 1

So besides Machamp Luxchomp was most likely my worst matchup that I could get. I was really disappointed but I gave the game my best shot. I get Honchkrow somewhat going but Luxray and my uncanning ability to cut my opponent excellant hands I was just torn to pieces only taking 2 prizes to his 6.

0-1

Game 2

Petty much the same as the first but because the first came took almost the entire time this game went into time and I couldn't figure out a way to KO anything to tie up the game. So I accepted my defeat. GGs

0-2
6-1

So I got third place after going undefeated in Swiss. I kinda figured something like that was going to happen but I was happy with my first ever top 4 placing.

3rd CCs Sunday January 9, 2011 Spokane, WA 20 Masters 5 rounds of Swiss Top 4

(Deck Revision 2)

-1-1 Difblim
-1 Sableye
-1 :psychic:
+1-1 Garchomp C X
+1 Power Spray
+1 Poke Turn

Round 1 vs Chris w/ Metagross/Roserade/Froslass GL

This was a pretty quick round. I got Garchomp C X going and sniped off the Beldum before he can get it to a Metagross and KO'd his Roserade before it could do some major damage. He did managed to lock my Azelf and Uxie active with Froslass cause I could roll a heads to wake up for the entire match. GG.

1-0

Round 2 vs Chase w/ Dialgachomp

So this felt like one of my longest games ever but nether of us didn't want to make a move that would cost either of us the game. I had houndoom G all powered up so just in case Dialga G came out I could 1 shot it. We both stalled like crazy but both of us managed to take at least one prize. He managed to take out my Garchomp C before I could get the X out and thats what cost me the game. He ended up winning 4 prizes to my 5 but it was a well played out game where neither of us truly got the better of each other.

1-1

Round 3 Mike w/ Luxchomp

So he only starts Luxray Gl and I started honchkrow G and Crobat. In two turns I managed to KO both the Luxray and his Garchomp CX that he later got out and when I KOed the Garchomp he scooped. I was kinda surprised but he said that he could draw anything. GG.

2-1

Round 4 James L. w/ Gyarados

So its a rematch of yesterdays battle between us two but he starts Dialga G active with Unknown Q benched and I have Honchkrow G and Azelf. I managed to snipe out the unknown Q with a Crobat Drop and honchkrows Target Attack. I also managed to Looker's his hand away after he Impersonated with his Sableye later on in the game. That looker's prevented him from setting up that turn and actually saved me the game. I take a 3 prize lead and I also made him use all of his Pokemon Rescue and Junk Arms so he has no way of getting pokes back into his hand cause his bench was also full. After I took a 3 prize lead he had no way to recover and scooped. He did managed to get a Gyarados but had to seeker it up so when he did that I picked up my crobat G that I had benched, he played the Gyarados again due to BTS but couldn't get it active. I did what I thought was a cool thing cause I told him I had a way to KO that Gyarados and at first he didn't believe me but then I played it. I top dopped Poke turn, played Cyrus for another poke turn, dark energy, and Cyrus, dropped the Crobat G and flashed bite the Gyarados, played both poketurns and flashed bite 2 more times to Gyarados and attached Devoluter to my active houndoom G and devolutered his Gyarados for KO. After that he scooped. GG

3-1

Round 5 Brad w/ Vilegar

So we were both 3-1 going into this and we found out that the only undefeated person lost so whoever won this game was in Top Cut and whoever lost was most likely out. So I knew I had to play my best but Brad was really good. I knew that to win I had to get Absol G and Honchkrow both going but I could get out of Trainer lock due to him getting both Spiritomb and Vileplume out. After he got a gengar active I tried as hard as possible to keep the T/S/St out of me hands whether it was with Sableye and Impersonate with Bebe's, or Azelf, or any other ways possible. This match too went into time and the +3 but I was 0 and 2 and he was 1 and 3 but I was down 1 prize and thought I had a chance to get him but he played seeker on his 80 damaged Gengar and I picked up Crobat G. By doing that there was nothing that i could KO and he won. GG

3-2

So yeah Brad made top cut and I got 7th due to Opponents win %. I had a fun time though. My new deck 12-5 and I felt like I finally made a deck that worked for me. I also made some new friends and had an absolute blast watching the final matches in Spokane.

Props
-Everyone that I played you were all great
-The Staff
-First Top Cut ever
-Absol G for just being so cool
-Devoluter for being an awesome cards as well
-All the good trades I got
-Winning a Playmat :D

BIG PROPS
-JimboPro for mentioning to me to put in Devoluter when tuning the deck

Slops
-the cold weather
-Not finding a way to beat Luxchomp

We there you have it. Happy reading.

Last edited:
Haha it was fun playing you, damn your snowpoint making me double crobat drop your benched garchomp c just so I could snipe it with my garchomp x! But the snowpoint still probably helped me in the end. Our match before the tournament was a lot more interesting! Props for running a different deck than everyone else.

Yeah the Match before was interesting but the One in the tourney made me think more then I wanted to lol. As soon as i played Snowpoint I regretted it but It did save some stuff. Next time I look for my Azelf I'm going to look 3 times instead of just two...lol

Darn those sloppy misplays.... Glad I did misplay though and lost that game, if I don't misplay I would have gotten bad matchups in the top 8 ! Attatch expert belt to uxie on the bench, then attatch warp energy to uxie, then retreat mesprit, psychic restore for win... got ahead of myself and retreated the mesprit first and then played the warp energy... OOPS ! Congrats on a very good weekend for you, glad you made your first top cut ! It is always a pleasure when you come up and play ! You and Chase rock and hope you show up all the time !

P.S. WHY DID I TELL YOU TO PUT DEVELUTOR IN YOUR DECK AGAIN ???

Nice work !

yeah that Devoluter is now a major play for me in almost any game that I play now. I was really mad in the game with Brad when he was playing Vilegar cause I had devoluter in my hand and I couldn't play it. I really wanted to play it to lol.

yeah that Devoluter is now a major play for me in almost any game that I play now. I was really mad in the game with Brad when he was playing Vilegar cause I had devoluter in my hand and I couldn't play it. I really wanted to play it to lol.

I have been play testing getting the vileplume to work with the gyrados, but the problem is 1. it's clunky, and 2. sometimes I don't know who has develutor in their decks and locking the trainers hurt me as well ! Back to the drawing board with LuxChomp, Vilegar, Gyrados, Jumpluff, and I have an idea for a deck that I think can kill the comp. well everyone but you apparently !

So far this season I am like 36-6 , You beat me twice, chase once, and brad once, Adrian once, and Robert once! Your my worst nightmare !

So far this season I am like 36-6 , You beat me twice, chase once, and brad once, Adrian once, and Robert once! Your my worst nightmare !

Yeah but the first one was pure luck for me and you've already beaten me with your Luxchomp. So in my opinion we're tied but on paper its 2-1 against you.

Back