Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Super-Tired Second-Place SE Regionals Finish

KingGengar

Well, long time no see for everybody. I've been very busy with some projects and with life in general, so I haven't even touched a Pokemon deck in months. Yep, gave up the obsession for a time. Well, my buddy Prime wants to go to Regionals in Statesville, NC, so I figure I'll oblige him with at least some company. Problem is: I don't have a current deck and I'm rusty. So, we meet the night before and test a few things: Magmortar, GG, Togekiss, Banette. The only thing I really liked was GG, so after a few hours of testing these decks, we call it a night. We put the deck together in a few minutes, just for fun, and lay it to rest.

Due to a toothache, I kept waking up that night, so I am already on fumes when we leave for the 2-hour drive. We get there and there are about 70 people in Masters! Florida (Kyle S, Bobby M, Stephen and John S, Aaron C) showed up too. So it's a tough field.

ROUND 1 vs Houndoom (sorry, forgot your name)

He almost sets up, but I do set up, so this one is pretty quick. 1-0.

ROUND 2 vs Dusknoir/stuff (Jim R)

This game took a while, but I don't think it ever took off for him. I can't remember any details, sorry. 2-0.

LUNCH- foot-long Chicken Teriyaki at Subway (look out stomach, here it comes)

ROUND 3 vs Exeggutor/Sceptile (David C)

He sets up OK, but I am simply too fast. Also, my PK Gardy is making his Grass Energy pay. 3-0.

ROUND 4 vs GG/Dusknoir (Bobby M)

Excellent game. We go back and forth (play and quips), but after even prizes for a while, Dusknoir takes me down. 3-1

ROUND 5 vs Kricketune (Christina)

She had done well to this point, but it was not a good game for her. 4-1

ROUND 6 vs Banette/Gyarados (Stephen S)

I took a VERY big lead and then he mounted a comeback. Unfortunately, he ran out of time and I won. 5-1

ROUND 7 vs Banette/Gyarados (Erik N)

Again, I got an early lead, but Banette is a great comebacker. Erik just has incredible instincts and (yes) luck. He drew what he needed, Warp and TGW'd when it was beneficial. Can he read minds? 5-2.

I'm #6 of 16. Incredible. I'm SO tired. And my tooth is killing me.

TOP 16 vs Rhyperior/Absol (Parth S)

I couldn't believe how fast this went. I won both games in 10 minutes. He didn't get set up really. Mostly Absol vs Gallade and Claydol. 6-2

TOP 8 vs GG/Dusknoir (Bobby M)

He took the first game, which was a monster 30-40 minute scuffle, complete with bad jokes from both sides of the table. I then was able to Candy my Gardy before him in game 2. Game 3, he got nothing, but I wasn't complaining. Thanks for the good fun, dude. 7-2

TOP 4 vs GG/Absol (Chase W)

Chase came out of retirement and just zoomed to the top 4 in his first tourney back. Nice. He beat me in the first game when I made a goofy mistake, but he still played very well. Game 2 I won easily when he couldn't set up. Game 3 was a great one. He made a great comeback, but I was able to Bring Down FTW. 8-2.

Hey, where am I?

TOP 2 vs Banette/Gyarados (Erik N)

Erik beat Stephen in Top 4 in the battle of Banettes. As I said, Erik is a terrific player, with top-deck magic, but I will say that I just let myself fall apart in game 1 when I attacked a Gyarados to within 10 points of KO using Gallade. Shoulda brought it down to 50. That was the turning point of the game. He might've won anyway, but... well, who can say? It was tied prizes for a few, then he was fully set up. He went ahead a prize, and I drew well my next turn and did a little damage. I had a Gallade and Scramble ready for next turn, but he didn't know that. I couldn't believe he TGW'd on his next turn even though I had only 3 cards in hand! Is he a mind reader? THAT was the backbreaker, and he took game 1. NOW I had to really bear down, especially since it was plain that Erik was still functioning on all cylinders, and his deck was a menace. So, game 2, he starts with Magikarp and I go second. He passes. Cool. I have Sentret up there and I use Oak's Visit looking for MY magic. C'mon Furrett and DRE (I have a Candy in hand). No magic. S'ok. He starts slow, but gets Gyarados out T2 anyway. I avoid it while we both set up. On T2, I draw the Celio's and I will be able to get Claydol out next turn. I'm set. He Warp Points! Kills the Baltoy. Ugh! Eventually, we both take a couple of prizes. OK, once again, I have a good hand waiting and.... TGW! Oh my gosh, he's a psychic! And how does he keep top-decking? Well, he pulls ahead, but I have a little trick waiting and I get to use it, to even the prize count at 3. I can't even begin to describe his next move, but he ends up not only taking a prize but ruining both my hand and field! I'm a little disillusioned but I still have a decent setup. Not good enough. He has 2 Cressalia Lv.X out and uses both to KO a damaged Furrett, then pulls this amazing Warp Point trick to get the last prize. TOTAL PROPS to Erik!

It's midnight, my tooth is throbbing, my arm has developed Pokemon arthritis, and we still have to take pictures, get out prize box, and the maintenance crew is kicking us out of the Civic Center! LOL!!!

All went well, and a 2 hour ride home through which I mostly slept ;-)

PROPS

Jeff Reynolds for an AMAZING Regionals organization.
Toni for her great support of North Carolina (and me) and staying up so late!
Keith, David, Randy, Josh, and the rest of the terrific judging staff.
Erik Nance- what can you say?
Alex Kent- thanks for the luck of the Irish!
All my friends from Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida who welcomed me back so nicely. Thanks, guys!
Matt for making Top 16 (go Asheville!), for setting me up with cards, and keeping me awake on the ride home!

SLOPS

Toothaches rule

Last edited:
Thought you would go 0-X with Mario but hey, 2nd is an amazing comeback for you with a different deck that suits the metagame, Congrats Mr. Wise and hope you will break the format with Mario again....somedays, somedays....

Chase here. 2nd? Aw, man, I was really pulling for you and wanted to stay and watch the finals, but by that time I had been up for 36 hours, had had a milkshake to eat all day, and a 2 1/2 hour drive home so I was ready to roll. Oh, well, if you head up to nationals, good luck, I may see you there depending on what my wife has me doing that weekend.

You did really well Tom. I told you on the way down that you were a good player, and you showed that today. Sure, you were playing the BDIF (imo), but you also hadn't played the deck more than twice before the tournament. That's an accomplishment in itself.

Don't drop the trophy!

Jason: thanks, man... Mario won't work in this format at all
twinkle: thanks!
Flygon: yeah, I saw you, but I didn't know who you were
Chase: yeah, it was crazy!
Matt: thanks, dood!

Congrats on doing well. I didn't do very well. I knew when I lost the first game on turn 2, the Second on turn 4, it was going to be a long day:smile:. My son finished Third in the Junior Div. ( Brandon C. ). Hope to see you at the Nationals.

Thanks to everyone who worked the Tornament. What a great group of poeple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Last edited:
Oh yeah, GREAT JOB, Mr. Wise!!! Glad to meet a Legend in the game, and see him do his thing, lol!!! Its nice to see your GREAT finish!!! Good Luck at Nats, HOPE to see you there, Later!!!

Tom, you rule. You wnet through trial after trial to get to the top(not to mention just meeting your deck the night before) but you made out great in the end. It was so good to se you and Matt and I hope to see you at PR in TN...>.> I will be upset if youre not there cause I rarely see the both of you, not to mention Alex as well. Congrats and hopefully Toni will get the pictures up on the site so we can see your smiling face, bad tooth and all. Congrats to you, Erik N and Prime for your absolutly fantastic vitories, it was fun to watch from the sideline. And way to go me for having nothing but Empoleon and going 2-5, 52nd place >.< Hopefully I will come up with something soon for Nats.

GREAT job Tom!!!!

It was loads of fun to see you again! I had no idea that your tooth was bothering you so much ... never would have guessed from your play. Congrats on doing so well!

You should have come to see me for some ibuprophen dude! I would have given you that! Great job still dude! Nice to see you! Thought that Asheville might have died...

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

PROPS

Jeff Reynolds for an AMAZING Regionals organization.
Toni for her great support of North Carolina (and me) and staying up so late!
Keith, David, Randy, Josh, and the rest of the terrific judging staff.
Erik Nance- what can you say?
Alex Kent- thanks for the luck of the Irish!
All my friends from Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida who welcomed me back so nicely. Thanks, guys!
Matt for making Top 16 (go Asheville!), for setting me up with cards, and keeping me awake on the ride home!

SLOPS

Toothaches rule[/QUOTE]

Do you guys still think he (jeff) makes these things happen all by himself? He has alittle help- finding venues and the like...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, that's funny. I got 90 minutes of sleep Friday night, and I also placed 2nd at my respective Regionals.

My good sir, I believe we have discovered a strategy.

(Good job, too. ^^)

Keith: Yep: no excuses! Thanks for everything :)
Ken: Thank you... come say Hi at Nats
mca3: I know you were there, I just can't place your nickname to you...? Thanks for the congrats.
Nick: No, YOU rule :) Great to see you again... sorry I was so out of it.
Todd: Good to see you, man. That was a fun tourney, wasn't it? Congrats on your finish.
Mike: Thanks, dude!
John: Glad to see you're almost well. Now stay that way! See you at Nats.
Toni: Awww.... thanks, but I had a bottle of ibuprof and I used it, you better believe it. It was still a killer. Thanks again for everything.
Phazon: maybe so! Seriously, I think it was just being relaxed and not worrying. I only started to "get really serious" during Top 4. But, hey, thanks, and congrats to you too. :)

Nice work. I think this will give you more legitimacy and definitely earn some respect for your deck choice and finishing. Good job in a tough field.

Back