Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Survey about Pokemon Buying Habits

Zapditto

I was wondering if some of you can help me with some research I am doing for economics in regards to buying Pokemon cards/buying habits in general.

Do you collect? Play? Both?

About how much do you spend on Pokemon cards a year? How does this number compare with other purchases you make throughout the year?

Where do you purchase most of your cards? (store, online, here, eBay, ect)

In what form do you buy your cards? (singles, boosters, boxes, ect)

Do you spend more on cards during a specific time of year?

Does seeing scans of a set early influence your buying habits for that set? For example, we have all seen Majestic Dawn scans, do you already know about how much you'll be buying? If you have an idea of how much you'll be buying, how does this compare to other sets?

Do you usually buy cards right when they come out? Or do you wait for prices to go down?

Do you sell your cards after a certain period of time or do you hold onto them?

For those who purchase on eBay:

What makes you pick one seller over another?

Do you usually use Buy it Nows or go for auctions?

What kinds of cards do you buy the most of? Least of? (Trainers, RH's, complete sets, ect)

Thank you for your time :biggrin:

-Tim

Answers in CAPS AND BOLD in quote below

I was wondering if some of you can help me with some research I am doing for economics in regards to buying Pokemon cards/buying habits in general.

PLAY

About how much do you spend on Pokemon cards a year? How does this number compare with other purchases you make throughout the year?

LESS THEN 100 A YEAR

INDIVIDUALS

SINGLES

NO

Does seeing scans of a set early influence your buying habits for that set? For example, we have all seen Majestic Dawn scans, do you already know about how much you'll be buying? If you have an idea of how much you'll be buying, how does this compare to other sets?

ILL ONLY BUT THE PLAYABLE SINGLES, A PLAY SET OF 4

Do you usually buy cards right when they come out? Or do you wait for prices to go down?

WHENEVER I CAN

I TRY AND SELL THEM

N/A

N/A

What kinds of cards do you buy the most of? Least of? (Trainers, RH's, complete sets, ect)

PLAYBLE CARDS

-Tim

Alright, I stopped playing a few weeks ago, but I'll answer like it was back then for you ok? Answers in boldface.

I collected only as a little kid, then I stopped Pokemon for a few years... then came back as a player only

Uhh, I probably spent like $150 as a collecting kid per year, and like about that same amount as a player in average the next year.

As a kid: stores, and ripoff dealer LOL "now" I do it on eBay

As a kid singles and boosters as a teenager singles and only boosters from prereleases

From Fall battle roads till Spring Battle Roads

No. I just buy whatever is beastly whenever I want.

I buy em while they're beastly... so it depends

SELL SELL SELL SELL eBay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ back

lowest prices (including combined shipping)... I'm cheap lol, and fast shipping if I need them fast for a tourney

BIN for just rares, auctions for Lv.X or ex----just a better deal that way from my experience

I would buy a lot of Pokemon singles. Never bought any full sets, don't care much about paying extra for RH. I just traded for trainers.

np

-Tim

Primarily for play

Overall, maybe $100 or so, definately cheap compared to my other purchases

Ebay mostly, and the occasional prerelease and booster pack at Target

Boosters and singles

Usually around the first Cities I spend more to upgrade my deck for the season

Yeah, seeing the scans early helps. Lets me know if it'll be worth considering a box or to just buy/trade for certain singles. Compared to other sets, I won't be buying much of MD.

For boosters, they're the same anyways. For singles, I'll wait.

Hold onto them forever. I still have cards from the original Base set lying around

Price, terms of shipping, and location

If the price is right, yes.

I usually buy Pokemon the most, Trainers second, and Energy third.

You're welcome. Hope this helps :thumb:

-Tim

Answers in Bold.

Like everybody else, boldface.

A bit from column A, a bit from column B. I'm not an insane "must get all RH" kinda collector. Just get me enough so that I can play with what I've got, and we're good.
If you're talking money directly to PUI? Nothing. If you're talking money in total? Probably about $500.
n/a
Boxes
More gas money during busy tourney seasons.
Not at all. I get 2 boxes of every set to open, everything else is sold.
Pretty quickly. Idk how much or how quickly usually, depends on a BUNCH of factors.
Depends on the card. If I know it can be sold, and I'm not going to be using it anymore, then it's gone around Nationals.
n/a

-Tim

I get the feeling this will be poll locked, but there ya go...

Play.

No idea.

Target.

Blister packs and prereleases usually.

I usually buy more in September and February.

No.

No and no.

Hold onto them.

Refs and prices.

BIN.

Trainers. Complete sets.

Hope I helped.

Play

I only spend on booster prereleases, so AU$90-AU$120 a year. Considering I probably spend several hundred dollars on Pokémon merch every 3 months (according to my bank account anyway - it really hates me), I think that's quite reasonable. I typically only make one "big" purchase a year, eg. MP3 player, camera.

I don't in general.

If I do buy a card it'll be a single.

No.

No, I don't buy cards usually.

No.

Sell what I'm not using; too much clutter in my room already.

N/A

N/A

Playable cards.

BOTH

wow lets see.
I spend little over 1k a year on Pokemon cards. Depends on League and Sets that are out.

Hoddy Town, Toys R us, Walmart, Target.

All of the above

Summer and Winter

I am buying two Boxes and putting around $80 into the prerelease(Bring a friend and I pay for him to enter and I get the cards.)

Both

Sell when I think the price is at its peak.

Price and feedback.

Both

EEVEE cards, Trainers, old cards.(MOST)
Energy and cards I don't need(LEAST)

:I am a collector and a player, so both.

:Like... $1700USD a year?

:pokegym, ebay, local store (league, EBgames, Big W)

:Mainly booster boxes when set releases, and singles at most times.

:I think it's all even... But if there is a time when I spend more, it would be the Jan-Apr tournament season....

:I am getting 2 booster boxes, as always for each set release. Sometimes only 1, sometimes 3 - its all depends on the set (size, playability, demand, etc).

:I buy boxes when it comes out, and singles when the rush dies down a bit. If is involves a really important deck card, Ill just buy it when it first come out.

:I do sell times, at some part of the year. When I feel like selling stuff on Ebay

:Some sellers are awesome, so I choose to go for whatever have really good feedbacks, or have excellent experience with myself or other Australians in the past.

:Depends on the card demand price.

:Rev foils deck staples mainly.

-Tim[/quote]

There you go, from the DOWN UNDER.

Both

At least $1,000 + if not paying attention ^___^......not shure on part 2

Mainly local stores

All of the above

No just on visits to stores

Does seeing scans of a set early influence your buying habits for that set? For example, we have all seen Majestic Dawn scans, do you already know about how much you'll be buying? If you have an idea of how much you'll be buying, how does this compare to other sets?I buy out of habit not do to set scans....

im there once its out normally....sometimes wish id wait though ^_____^

A little of both....and trade

Answer is in bold and italics :tongue:

Both ... I collect and play since end of 1999, why not do both?

Probably around a grand due to my collecting habits

Wherever it is the least expensive (so all venues will be used)

Mostly singles and boxes ... but also the occasional boosters whenever I go to Prereleases and win stuff from tournaments

After a new set comes out

Of course ...

A little bit of both since I will need some of the cards ASAP

Only duplicates ...

I usually buy from certain sellers because I know them well enough ... but anyone is fair game since I am collecting backwards :lol:

Both

Mostly singles or playsets ... pretty much never on RHs or complete sets

-Tim

both

$750

proffesors store

booster, boxes, tins, singles, blisters, all exept decks

nope

no

both

hold on

rarely

high good

BINS

what i need

Survey Answers

Both
$100-$150, I don't make any other purchases
The store and eBay.
Singles and Boosters
When the newest sets come out.
It might, and it might not. I look at the scans, see what cards I"m interested in. and see if any are worth buying tons of packs. With great encounters, I didn't buy any GE packs(didn't liked the cards much) and saved my money for Majestic Dawn.
A.S.A.P.
I sell rare cards that I don't like when I get the chance.

The feedback.
Only if it's a really good deal. Don't think I have yet though.
Most:Cards for my deck. Least:Complete Sets

I stopped collecting a long time ago. I just play now.

Quite a bit, actually. I just recently spent $300 on some cards. Maybe around $400 a year?

eBay is usually the only place I buy cards. I always buy the new tins though.

You'd be dead before you saw be buying packs. I usually buy singles. Japanese in bulk, I guess, too. It's actually worth it.

Not really, but I might spend less on cards around Nats/Worlds if I am not playing in it.

Yes, and No. Yes, because I can see how crappy the trainers are, but No, because I don't buy packs to begin with. Since I am a singles person, spoilers don't really ruin anything. I do find it fun to see the cards early.

Depends on the situation, and when I can get the best deal. If I feel the card won't be that good and just has initial hype, I will wait. If it's 2 weeks from Regionals, and I feel the card will go undefeated, I will buy it now.

I've tried to, but usually it's when everyone else is selling their "soon-to rotate" cards, so it doesn't always work. I don't sell off my completed BS-Neo4 sets though, just for memories sake.

Biggest thing? Shipping. I try to work with those that have a set shipping. I've seen people that have $1.99 shipping regardless of the number of cards you order. I will literally TRY to find something I want, in bulk, so I can take advantage of that good deal.

Buy-it-now. Auctions are too random.

Pokemon would be #1. There are very few good trainers in each set, and the good ones are really expensive on eBay. I usually have 1 or 2 of a card, so playsets might not always work for the best.

-Tim

Hope you can use it.

Back