Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T32 SoCal Regionals How AMUsing

HyperMetal

Hey guys, I ran AMU at regionals and I think I did fairly well =o =x". I thought someone might be interested so I thought I'd report hehe.

Since I probably won't be playing anymore this season here's my list =o:

Pokemon 12
1x Mesprit X
2x Mesprit LA
1x Mesprit MT
1x Azelf X
2x Azelf LA
1x Azelf MT
1x Uxie X
3x Uxie LA

Trainers 35
4x Pokemon Collector
3x Roseanne's Research (---> 4x Roseanne's Research)
2x Bebe's Search
2x Professor Oak's Visit
2x Cynthia's Feelings
1x Cynthia's Guidance
4x Premier Ball
3x Pokemon Communication
4x Energy Pick Up
2x Energy Switch
2x Switch
2x Time Space Distortion
2x Night Maintenance
2x Snowpoint Temple

Energy 13
13x Psychic (---> 12x Psychic)

The parentheses will be explained later xP. Anyway, here we gooooo:

R1 vs Gilbert Catapang (Machamp)

I flip the cards and it's my Uxie vs his Machop. I freak out O_O. I don't run unown G or anything so I thought things would get rough. Fortunately, I went second (or something else but basically i didn't get donked) so I collector'd and got a set of pixies in play. he gets machamp and takes out an uxie. but after a psychic restore and extrasensory it's out. he runs supporter dry and I eventually just clean up with extrasensory and supreme blast. gg =x"

1-0

R2 vs Jessie E (Gyarados)

He tells me before the match that he's a bit rusty and I'm guessing an AMU matchup wasn't very familiar for him so he ended up taking some consistently long turns... I didn't say anything though. We end up exchanging blows between tail revenge and supreme blast but I eventually take the lead. It becomes 4 prizes to 2 in my favor but he flashbites my benched Upper Material Mesprit so that it's at 60dmg but my snowpoint keeps it alive. He cynthia's and draws into BTS and wipes it out as well as my active mesprit x with his gyarados which he had earlier expert belted. The game is now 2 to 2 and it's my turn and there's no way I can kill gyarados in one turn but I secure a mesprit for the turn after. Unfortunately time is called and I lose with him killing one more pokemon although I could have easily supreme blasted for the final kill... oh well. gg

1-1

R3 vs Andrew Nguyen (Luxchomp w/ Dialga)

He starts with double Luxray, and he sounded disappointed with his draw. I get out Downer Material and he ends up using a lot of energy to trashbolt my pixie to death and also Bright Looks my Downer Material. I TSD for the Azelf back and I end up Supreme Blasting his luxray so he loses a lot of energy. He puts up a fair fight but I think Downer Material pretty much gave me the whole game. gg =x

2-1

R4 vs Dustin Collins (Honchkrow/Dusknoir/Weavile/Darkrai/?)

He darkrai starts to my Uxie. I'm completely thrown off by the darkrai, especially because it had Psychic resistance o_O. Luckily I had a premier ball so I end up Zen Blading it next turn. He's energy dry at first but gets up a claydol. He levels it up but I knock it out after another switch'd Zen Blade and extrasensory. He gets out Dusknoir and starts pushing my x's back into the deck, and that kind of scares me. He also gets out Honchkrow which pretty much OHKO's my pixies since all I play are basics =z. I maneuver around the dusknoir and supreme blast his Honchkrow and he can't get enough energy to attack again in time. gg =o

3-1

R5 vs Eric (Shuppetdonk + Mewtwo)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I don't run any mewtwo counter so I figured I was doomed T.T Luckily for me, he seemed kind of novice so I stood somewhat of a chance .__." He started with Mr. Mime so I hoped I could just lock up legal stall and take one prize after time was called, but he ended up hitting a super scoop up pretty early so that was out =x. but luckily he expert belts shuppet and can't fade out because of my downer material. I take advantage and extrasensory for 2 prizes so he sends out mime again. I again try to lock up stall but he hits another super scoop up and levels up. I eventually am forced to snipe his benched second mime and dunsparce which he missed on his Super Scoop ups. I win on time 1 to 2 but he ran out of energy for energy absorption anyway. So dunno what would have happened. I SHOULD NOT HAVE WON >_O;

4-1

R6 vs Giang (Blazeraychomp? Dunno what you call it)

He makes 2 misplays against Downer Material and I wipe his Garchomp C X and azelf because of it. Downer Material pretty much wins it for me again =z" but I don't mean just by a fluke... it really hurts luxchomp. sorry about your misplays though =< gg

5-1

R7 vs Brian Ha (Shuppetdonk + lockage)

He starts out slowish and misplays an Uxie while I have him Psychic Binded (or Bound if you prefer =p) but he still hits me with his shuppet. it takes me a while to get Downer Material but after I do I feel a lot more comfortable. His Exeggutor ends up using Psychic Strategy but it actually helped me easily get into Extrasensory range so I take it out. He never gets his lock up and I wipe some stuff out until it's over. gg

6-1

Yay I place 9th =3

Boo, I wrote my decklist wrong D=
Consequently I have to take out a psychic for a 4th roseanne's to match what is stated on my decklist

T32 R1 vs... Danny? sorry I forgot D= (Jumpluff)

Uhh okay? He has 3 jumpluff prized but he gets one out and starts pounding me. I return with Supreme Blast and we kind of just exchange. I take the first kill though I think so I end up winning that game. I was up 1 to 3 at the end though.

1 - 0

T32 R2

He says I go first. I do, and with one basic. He donks me =__=

1 - 1

T32 R3

I go second to avoid the donk. I get out a set of Pixies with collector but then the next turn my active's taken out by his Jumpluff. I realize that if I'm going to stand any chance I need to take out jumpluff right then and there. I send out Uxie and level it up. I have Azelf X in hand and mesprit with one psychic prep'd but, I still need the Mesprit X and a switch. I burn out my hand as much as possible and drop a Set Up in hopes of drawing some way to get Mesprit X, and then I hope to follow up with Cynthia's Guidance to get the Switch. Luckily for me though, I draw into the Switch, and I easily Guidance for a Premier Ball. It was pretty intense, but maybe you had to be there xP". Anyway, I take it out with Supreme Blast and I'm back in the game and we do a few exchanges. He Bright Looks my Azelf X and that stalls me a turn because after a Cynthia's Feelings I wasn't able to retrieve the X which I maintenanced into the deck. The next turn my Mesprit X is Bright Looked and taken out and I still don't have Azelf X. I make some moves and hit a communicator for Azelf. I think I can make a comeback, so I TSD for my Mesprit X, but then disappointing stuff happened... I got 3 Tails. At that point, there was just nothing left for me. I fought to the end up but I lost 4 prizes down. I got 3 Heads on the first TSD I played earlier so I guess you could say that was to make up for it, though it's not like I needed 3 last time xP" haha aw well. gg L=

I know that it sounds like I got really lucky in a lot of situations and you may be lead to think that the majority of my games were flukes, but I think that AMU really is a viable deck that works well against a variety of match ups. It slows down basic decks with Downer Material and Supreme Blast swiftly takes out Stage 1 and 2's. Except cursegar. I pretty much give up against cursegar o_0;;

If I could I would definitely make the following changes:

-2 Cynthia's Feelings (did not help at ALL >_O)
-2 Bebe's Search (was primarily for Cursegar... but I'd rather just accept autoloss)
-1 Night Maintenance

+1 Pokemon Communication
+1 Cynthia's Guidance
+2 Quick Ball
+1 Pokemon Rescue (for some reason I thought Night Maintenancing into searching was really cool. but I typically only needed one pokemon. Not sure why I didn't play rescue >>")

Props:
-enough tables this time unlike at states =P
-SDPokeMom for driving us home at 3am. ty! ^^"
-GOREEEEE

Slops:
-Michael and Kevin playing against each other in the first round >.O;
-Kevin getting 33rd place <.<"
-not knowing my own deck list =x"
-whiffing on Azelf X and TSD T.T
-misplays

Thanks for a cool Regionals everyone! =]

nice report jason...congrats :D

what do you mean you're not playing anymore this season? o_O i expect to see you at battle roads next month :)

'mom

So you were the one playing AMU I saw early in the tournament...

I went 5-2.... a few unfortunate circumstances (including a legit loss to a mirror match and a loss to newbee who played a card wrong to get out of luring flame, and I did not catch it...

Glad to see you made top 32... good job!

haha thank you all! =D

ah yes, Battle Roads. I forgot, but I will probably go to that xD

@BrianHa: yes, great game and I do hope to meet you again for that rematch ;] Congrats on top 8! ^^

@my58vw: ah 5-2 is a pretty good record, congrats L=. but it's too bad you didn't catch that misplay. and at least a legit loss is better than.. well, a not so legit loss =x. let's do our best again next time =] and thank you!

lol I was your opponent T32, I have to admit I was pretty taken back by you getting all 3 of the Lv.X's out in 1 turn the third game haha.

You played your list with skill, and I give you respect for cutting with such a seemingly unorthodox deck.

I was the judge that checked your deck and caught the deck list error. Sorry that happened and we did check to make sure that you didn't have to change the deck before top cut due to lost or damaged card, because that could have explained the variance.
On the bright side at least you had a legal deck list. There was one poor guy that forgot to finish writing all of his pokemon on his deck list. The only thing we could do was replace the missing pokemon with energy. :eek: That is a bummer to find out after you make top cut.

R2 vs Jessie E (Gyarados)

He tells me before the match that he's a bit rusty and I'm guessing an AMU matchup wasn't very familiar for him so he ended up taking some consistently long turns... I didn't say anything though. We end up exchanging blows between tail revenge and supreme blast but I eventually take the lead. It becomes 4 prizes to 2 in my favor but he flashbites my benched Upper Material Mesprit so that it's at 60dmg but my snowpoint keeps it alive. He cynthia's and draws into BTS and wipes it out as well as my active mesprit x with his gyarados which he had earlier expert belted. The game is now 2 to 2 and it's my turn and there's no way I can kill gyarados in one turn but I secure a mesprit for the turn after. Unfortunately time is called and I lose with him killing one more pokemon although I could have easily supreme blasted for the final kill... oh well. gg

1-1

Jason,

I'm sorry you felt every turn I took was an eternity, but I felt most and all my turns were within reason...also, after flash biting your mespirit X and needing to draw into my BTS, I used uxie's set up to get it...

JessE

MAJOR props for playing AMU, especially without Unown G. Too bad you flipped 3 tails ftl, hope you get better luck next time!

Back