Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T32 with Cursegarrrr

Amt

We get there Thursday evening. I playtest with my Ohioan friends and sit next to The Ralts and The Lurb for a while. David Cohen, being the genius he is, played a horrible Jumpluff list with 4 RC, which we warned him about, and ended up going 5-4.

I'm in Seniors and played Cursegar. Sorry if the rounds are out of order.. don't think they are though.

Day 1

Round 1 - BYE
This was really tough. Probably my toughest matchup of the day. My opponent would rather me not mention their deck, so I'm just going to skip to round 2. 1-0

So after my friend Kevin (Box of Fail) is done with his match, I learn he's 0-1! Go Kevin.

Round 2 - Machamp/Noir
He mulliganed once though, and I was able to see a Dusclops, alerting me to keep my bench down to 3 or be prepared to get my own Dark Palm up. I open with Gastly, him with a Machop IIRC. I go first. yay. I topdeck Spiritomb like a pro and attach Warp Energy to Gastly. Then I Darkness Grace to Haunter. He plays Regice in his build, so I always had to keep two Spiritomb in play. He wasn't able to get it out his first turn, so I got lucky. Eventually I get Cursegar and Nidoqueen up, and he's ahead in prizes. My Cursegar starts doing work when he gets his Dusknoir up and Dark Palms it. Fortunately I saw it coming and was able to retaliate with a Dark Palm of my own. I don't have enough time to get another Cursegar up so I work on getting up a SF Gar. A key Poltergeist KO'd his Machamp, allowing me to take the lead. The game comes down to time, and I'm ahead 1 to 2. GG, sorry it had to end on time. 2-0

Round 3 - Luxchomp
Yayyy my worst matchup! I open with Spiritomb and 5 Energy/no supporter. I end up scooping shortly after. 2-1

Now it's lunch break and we go to the food court to get some A&W that suckeddd.

Round 4 - Jumpluff/Luxray
Very easy game. I start with a Spiritomb and Gastly to his Uxie. I go first and DGrace to Haunter. He plays Roseanne's and gets Grass Energy and a Hoppip. I figured at that point he didn't play Regice, but to be safe I always kept two Spiritomb in play. Anyway, I set up easily from there. He can't get out of the trainer lock. He only took one prize the whole game. GG. 3-1

Round 5 - Luxchomp
Yay, again! I get a good start, as does he. However, when I get a good start, I generally win any matchup. I set up Cursegar while he's fooling with trainer lock. I sweep pretty easily. GG! 4-1

Round 6 - Luxchomp
Hey, look, it's that deck I hate! Anyway, I get a bad start. Like really bad. I attach to my Gastly and Pitch Dark. He does some stuff, and now it's my turn again. I draw... wait for it... Night Maintenance. I attach a Psychic energy and an Expert Belt and Pitch Dark again. I have a Rare Candy and Gengar AR in my hand, so all I need is an energy. I survive one more turn only to draw.... Gengar SF! Not exactly what I wanted, but it was better than nothing. I Rare Candy into it and do Poltergeist for a KO. His turn he brings out ERL and does 90. I topdeck a Judge, play it, and get nothing I can play. I Poltergeist, expecting 60-90, and what do you know, he drew 4 T/S/S, so I KO! I'm now ahead 3 prizes lol. On his turn he does Flash Impact, still short of the KO. I play another Judge and Poltergeist again. He drew 3 T/S/S lol. Now FOUR prizes ahead. However, due to no support from my deck, I am unable to take my final 2 prizes. He wins. :( GG, though! 4-2

Round 7 - Mirror
Wow. I'm playing Evan M. A fellow Nashville player. Great. We played first round at last year's nats, and now the last round for the day this year! Come onnnn. Anyway, I get a good start, he doesn't. That's how mirrors go. I win easily. Sorrrrry, Evan. GG! 5-2

So I'm feeling pretty good about tomorrow. We have it figured out that if I win my first match, I'm automatically in. So while my Dad is playing in his final round, I walk around looking for people. I decided to look for prodigol fanboy, but he was still playing I think. Anyways, as I'm looking for him with a friend, I walk by two guys and one asks "are you amt?" I say yes and find out the guy is prodigol's brother. yay. So I get to meet him and he's cool. just like online. By that time my Dad is finished with his match and ready to go. We go see Toy Story 3 cuz it's cool.

Day 2

Round 8 - Jumpluff/Luxray
So I look at the matchslip and realize I'm playing up. cool. We both get pretty slow set ups, and he never went for a Regice so I assume he didn't play it. He makes a pretty critical mistake halfway through my set up. I have a benched Duskull and Cursegar w/ 2 Psy energies. He Bright Looks Duskull, plays trainers, and KO's Duskull. I then proceed to sweep with Cursegar and get Duskull out with Palmer's. I get Dusknoir up and Dark Palm his Claydol since he only had one up and couldn't Poke Turn Luxray due to Spiritomb. I Level Down + EBelt KO his Luxray X with two Multi energy later and he can't get another Pluff out. Really GG! 6-2

At this point I assume I'm in and don't really care about winning my next match. I still try, of course.

Round 9 - Michael D. w/ Luxchomp
yay. we're both not too happy about playing in the last round, but oh well. He gets off to a pretty good start, and KOs my Cursegar before I can get it fully charged. I end up going to SF Gar. I attach EBelt and he has 6 cards in his hand. I Judge him for some insane reason, giving him 4 cards. I Poltergeist and he drew 3 T/S/S lol. Next turn I Judge again and he gets 3 T/S/S again! Anyway he got what he needed off the judge and proceeds to take is last prize. GG! 6-3

So I wait around for standings and find out I made top 64 at 50th. I'm near the front of the deckcheck line so I'm not standing around too long. Anyway, instead of getting lunch I wait around with friends and ask my cool new friend the lurb how to beat Luxchomp since she was playin it. She told me and so I decided to try it in my t64 match.

Top 64 - Ryan M. w/ Luxchomp
Game 1: This game I go for SF Gengar right off the bat. He gets a pretty good prize lead, but I come back with Dark Palm, Nidoqueen and Poltergeist doing work. At one point I EBelt my Nidoqueen and use Mega Punch to KO his Uxie X. Later he's able to KO the Queen and take 2 prizes. I end up winning this game because he got too many trainers he couldn't get rid of. GG! 1-0

Game 2: A lot like the first. The main thing I remember from this game is the winning play. I've Poltergeisted almost every turn so I know he has two Spray in his hand. It's my turn and I draw my card, a Rare Candy. I have a Gastly/Gengar AR in my hand. I bench Spiritomb. I play Gastly-RC-Gengar AR and retreat to Spiritomb. I use Curse to move a damage counter from his Bronzong G to his Uxie. Then I play Warp Energy and Shadow Room his Uxie. GG! 2-0

So cool, I did better than last year! I found out the lurb and my new friend Collin lost in t64 :(. I go to hang with my NE friends and learn I'm playing one of them! Dang. Our friends tell each other what the other is playing lol.

Top 32 - Thomas A. w/ Gyarados

Game 1: He thinks he has a bad matchup, but he actually doesn't. He gets T2 Gyarados and starts KOing stuff. He topdecks a few cards he needs which made me sad but oh well. He goes like 4/4 on SSU flips and I blow all my FS flips. GG! 0-1

Game 2: Just like game 1. He gets T2/3 Gyarados and starts rampaging me. I continue to go 0/2 on FS flips and he's like 3/4 on SSU flips. Not pretty. GG, though! 0-2

So I'm out now, but at least I lost to someone I know. My friends Ben and Nathan lost in t32 too. :(. I go with Ben and Collin as they open Ben's booster box. He gets like every prime except Lanturn. I open my box later and give him my Lanturn Prime cuz I'm nice. We stay there long enough the next day to see Aylam and Diaz make top 4. Left during lunch break though.

I had a GREAT time this yearrrr. Indianapolis was an awesome place for Nats.

Props
-t32
-friends
-box for t32
-got rankings invite
-cursegar
-diaz winning
-aylam t4'ing
-spencer b. going 14-1
-Indianapolis
-kevin managing to go positive (barely) with straight garchomp c
-david going 5-4 and sucking at pkmn
-andrew mishik going 10-1 in professor cup.

Slops
-7/8 SSU flips lol
-0/9 on Fainting Spell flips the whole tournament

thanks for reading.

Last edited:
i beat a lux chomp deck with my curse deck they both do reall bad with nidoqueen and you can level them down and here some advice when garchomp c x use's dragon rush be sure to attack with curse gar and swith out with spirit tomb.

Grats man. And how do you know everyone from NE because I don't think I've met you yet...

We had a cool game, it was nice meeting the person who terrorized me on PokeBeach for my entire first year. xD

Shame it ended on time, I think I might have been able to win. I would have been able to recover the Noir and had Warp Point in hand, don't know how good your hand was in comparison.

yeah, I can't really remember my hand lol. I think I had cards to get up another Gar SF, not sure tho. I know I was just gonna Shadow Room / Poltergeist whatever I could. ;x

Dude he so is. I mean, he lost to a kid half his size! (jk no offense to takuto or anyone - i'm short too weee)

Back