Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T64 Nats Report (Team Shenanigans)

Pikajew1213

So heres a little history lesson of me
I started playing competitively back in 2009 at MI states i brought a deck with 10 turtwig, 6 grotle, and 7 torterra, they forced me to use a theme deck for which i chose palkia, I dont know how but i ended up going 3-2 at my first tournament with a theme deck. After that I became a more avid league attendee and began going to league in Novi weekly where Tracy (don't know last name) helped me make my first ever playable deck, it was a Shaymin and friends as i call it for lack of a better name, i took it to Regionals, and went 4-2 with it whiffing cut, Stuff changed and i played Glaceon, Machamp at at brs taking a 2-2 record and 8th place if i recall correctly, that year i went to nats with a deck of my own creation Machamp Hippowdown, i did decently going 5-2 and once again wiffing cut. I played a ton for the next 3 years (up til now) with last year being my best season i brought my Kingdra Octillery deck to everything ironically i also won a prize at every tournament i went to (discluding nats). This year i have had a really quite awful season my only championship points being from a 2-1 third place at a cities.

Day 0 (pre reg)

Well after leaving home at 10 to go to Claire Miller park for my moms work, i was tired i had stayed up until 2:30 the night before packing and I still didn't know what i was playing. I took a nap in the car at the park and we left.
When I got there i still had no idea what i was running, I found the other MI seniors and strted talking it over with them I asked everyone I knew and it came down to a 6/6 split between running Darkrai/Terrakion or VvV I asked my friend Tom what he thought and he said Darkrai and that was it i showed him my list and he just slapped his face when he saw my Espeon, I asked him to help and he changed my list a little. I went home freaked out cuz I had no printer to get a new list then went to bed at 12, after having played no test games with my new list I was feeling pretty terrified but what could I do?

Day 1 (Swiss)

Well I got there like a half an hour early and me and my friends Sam (playing Terrakion, Mewtwo, Landorus) we played until they put up rosters then we both walked over to our seats, i met with all of the other Joshs one running Resphlosion and the other running Eels Terrakion, I waited for the round to start and was freaking out about having almost no experience with my new list.

Round 1
Austin H: Darkrai Zororark w/ Marowak tech

He mulls his first hand and i see marowak thinking thank god because I have a terrible start I get lucky that I'm playing against a rogue deck, not really much to explain here other than the fact that I won
1-0

Round 2
Christian J: Terrakion/Landorus/Groudon

We get set up pretty fast me getting turn two Darkrai with an eviolite and catcher killing one of his terrakion, he wiffs the pluspower to kill me and i retreat shaymin to do it again, we get prizes 2-3 my lead and he junk arms a PONT which he needed for lack of another draw supporter, he plays the dual ball he gets and then asks if he could take back PONT, I reluctantly say no as I would probably lose had he gotten it, but i end up winning after loaning my pont to him, (lol) i showed him my hand first though he just wanted to see if he could pull it off with it but i do take the win and move on
2-0

Round 3
Paz "Pazzy" G: Quad Donphan

I go in terrified as he has a double bye going in and i have nothing i shake his hand before we start and say gg, he starts with double phanpy and i get a lump in my thorat, this is my worst matchup, i go first and get two energy onto my darkrai and pass after portraiting nothing. He attatches to his benched phanpy and uses a pont he topped, does some stuff and passes i hit the switch off juniper and have another energy in hand i attach it to darkrai switch smeargle attach a dark claw and catcher the phanpy with energy killing it , he send in his other phanpy with thirty damage evolves to Donphan dual balls and level balls for two phanpy and hits for 120. I draw and start setting up another darkrai as i junipered a terrakion and one was prized, I dark patch to the darkrai and attach, I attack with night spear and ko his active donphan (he almost calls over judge cuz i take prize really fast and he forgot that i had dark claw) but i proceed to somehow win the game beating TWO fighting decks in a row
3-0

Round 4
Cj C: Eels Terrakion

I don't remember much about this game tbh if Cj has an account please let him know that I don't and ask if he does, I know I took some cheap prizes with catchers and terrakion but i did win
4-0

Round 5
Ben M: Darkrai Tornadus

This is a deck I was scared to play against because Tom talked very highly of it the night before saying how consistent it had been, and on top of that Ben is top 20 in NA Seniors, I go in terrified and try hard to set up my terrakion to kill his darkrai, he kill both smeargle with catchers and i kill his darkrai with retaliate after (one had an eviolite but i did get an attack of with darkrai before it was attached so i still killed it) at one point he got desperate and tried to call me on retaliate not being enough to ko because he hadn't taken a prize (which he had) he freaked out but then i reminded him and he screamed NVM (although no judge was in a rush to answer his calls) i end up catcher killing his smeargle and shaymin for the game
5-0

They bring me in for deck check and everything checks out fine

I go find the other MI players and see that they are doing pretty good aswell
My good friend Andy is also 5-0
Christopher S. the one who loaned me Darkrai is 4-1
Zacks 4-1
Matt U. and Sam M are 3-2
Ben G. is 2-3
and our two Durant players are just doing bad
My good friends from Masters are pretty decent
Matt V. is 5-0 (with VVV)
Tom is 2-3 with CMT
Kalle is 2-3 with Zeels
and Jared is 4-1 with Darkrai Terrakion

I leave just having to win 2 more games to make cut and hoping i do so. I go to dinner with Matt Kalle Sam and his Dad praying to get the 1-2 more wins i need get to bed after counting bulk at about 11:30

Day 2
I come in at 8:20 and me and Andy do a test game, he wins after n'ing me down to 1 card which turns out to be a dual ball and catcher killing smeargle so i have no way to hand refresh

Round 6
Thomas A. Yoshi Yamadas Plume

I don't get to see much of his deck except that he would've had T2 plume anyways I play two supporters, get a game loss and feel bad :p
5-1

Round 7
Michael B. Kummis.dec

We both mulli and shuffle eachothers deck I start Terrakion for the third game and freak out but do go first, he flips over two oddish and i freak out, i draw into a darkrai attach to it then i dual ball for smeargle switch and portrait for a collector get mewtwo, shaymin, and smeargle, bench smeargle and pont then i pass he collectors for stuff that i dont remember then attaches a rainbow to his active oddish and retreats for smeargle portraits my nothing and passes, i get the turn two darkrai and junk arm for switch catcher his oddish with no damage and attach eviolite kill 2 oddish, he send in a terrakion and retaliates for 160 after using twins for two more oddish, i catcher his smeargle after attaching to my bench darkrai and bench terrakion i kill smeargle and 30 to an oddish praying he cant get the vileplume, he wiffs it and kills darkrai i send in my backup one and attach eviolite to darkrai i catcher the oddish with no damage and kill both, he sends in terrak again and 160 to my darkrai to which i say gg, he gets confused i draw catcher his mismagius and ko for the win
6-1

Round 8
???: Zeels

I don't remember his name sorry, im good with faces though :D
I asked him straight off when he flips over zekrom and two tynamo if he plays terrakion he says he's an honest person and says no he was telling the truth and i get turn 2 Darkrai and win it
7-1

So at this point i'm in cut no matter what so I kinda just play for fun next round Andy is 8-0 and Chris is 6-2 and so is Zack

Round 9
Jimmy P "Lou": Eels Terrakion

He starts with an electric pokemon and i immediately think ok Terrakion your up i have a smeargle and a darkrai so i dual ball for the terrakion, but both turn out to be prized, he jsut shuts down all of my stuff hitting pluspowers when he needs em and just creaming me

Standings go up and i am 21st
Andy who lost is 6th
Chris and Zack also Make it in

T64 Alan-luc N
G1 I just lose there was nothing i couldve done
0-1 (7-3)

G2 I start Mewtwo to his Tynamo and have the donk but shaymin is prized and i get sad i send in my smeargle and wiff portrait and pass, he wiffs pokegear and passes i attach retreat and win the game

G3 Pretty even game until i start playing smarter, unfortunately my brain goes to mush i have a darkrai with 100 damage and a claw and he has a mewtwo with four energy im like k he has mewtwo maybe i should BENCH MY MEWTWO i do this then realize oh crap catcher pluspower is a thing i do 90 and 30 to his benched eel he catcher pluspowers and kills my mewtwo i go and send in my terrakion catcher his thundeus and n i hit a juniper and a pont he hits dual ball and pont i know if he hits the catcher its game he ponts hits catcher and i lose when i draw the top card was junk arm which i would have used to catcher kill his eel welp Whatever

Andy lost R1 aswell as Chris Zack makes T32 and loses too i get sads again cuz i lost on a misplay
My T64 opponent gets 6th which makes me even sadder because that could have been me

Props:
T64!!
I now know that i can do well if i stop playing terrible decks
4 MI seniors Making T64
My 1 league game got me a Groudon EX

Slops:
Losing on a Misplay
All MI players out before day 3
Crappy Bulk Prices
6 hours of Driving

Special Thanks to:
Pokemon For another great year at nats
Chris S. For loaning me the Darkrais
Tom Rosegray For making my list better
Matt V and Kalle W: For being Awesome friends
James S, Matt U, Charlie U, Andy R, Chris S, Ben G, Sam M, and Wes R: For being awesome friend (Go team Mi Seniors/ Junior)
Jared W. For giving me the idea to run Dark
Dallas/Tyler Odom for being great people (continually making me wanna keep playing)
All other MI players
My Mom because without her I would have never gone

Hope You Enjoyed in case you were wondering I took 44th place

Last edited:
Evan Baker made it to top 16 last year; both him and his brother Jordan Baker both missed cut at 66th place (in seperate pods) after swiss, while Collan Baker made it T64 this year

I can't didn't get invite and I pent all of my money (400+ $) at nats this year cuz I had to pay for hotel and gas

Back