Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tank - Armaldo / Regirock

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaworu

Armaldo LA is an undeniable tank, and so is Regirock. Armaldo only takes 70+ damage and Regirock is his energy acceleration along with Stark Mountain.

I feel this deck has a big chance competitively.

4 Jirachi or Sentret
4-2-4 Armaldo
2-2 Claydol
2 Regirock
3 techs (pokemon / plus powers etc) or 3 Furret if running Sentret

3 Felicity's drawing (to help discard the fighting energy) or 3 Prof Oak Visit/Cynthia/TGW/Buck
3 Roseanne
4 Bebe
3 Excavator
3 Rare Candy
4 Stark Mountain
2 Night Maintanence
1 Warp point
1 Switch

13 Fighting energy

Armaldo LA: http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=35727&c=190

Regirock LA: http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=35665&c=190

Main combo is Regirock to attach a fighting to himself from the discard and use Starks mountain to move it to Armaldo.

Ideal start is Jirachi or Sentret depending on your preference, also starting with claw fossil is good as you can discard it if need be and retrieve it with Excavator. Also you can attach an energy say first turn to claw fossil and discard them both in order to get fighting into the discard for regi.

Retreating either Jirachi or Furret adds an energy to the discard for Regirock to place on himself and you can use Stark Mountain to move it to Armaldo.

Regirock can then discard fighting energy in preparation for the next turn to make sure you constantly have energy acceleration (it sadly cannot discard and attach the exact same energy as you need fighting in the discard to use the power), also regi can help rid cards from hand for claydol to draw more.

You can ensure a good chance of drawing all of these including claydols, rare candy, fossils, starks mountain etc as both Jirachi and furret search for any card.

Claydol for ultimate draw.

Armaldo's attacks effect works for any of your pokemon as long as it's the same defending pokemon it's ensuring a pretty much guaranteed 2HKO on anything played competitively. 140HP and only takes damage of 70+ with only a 2 retreat cost.

Armaldo's body amazingly stops anyone from hitting him with bench damage from an attack (unless it states "place damage counters" which most don't).

As Vanderbilt_grad stated furret's 2nd attack can move to the bench, trans the energy onto Armaldo and more than likely as it's early on they won't be able to hit for more then 60.

Excavator, Roseanne and Bebe to ensure Armaldo, Regirock and claydol get set up fast.

Felicity and retreating or being knocked out puts fighting energy into the discard for Regirock.

Relicanth get's fossils but no regi or baltoy so I don't think it's worth a place in the deck.

If Leafeon is giving you troubles a 1-1 Houndoom LA should sort it out, also as it's is fire type you can trans a fighting energy to it with starks mountain. Unless they are running Umbreon ;_;.

Thoughts / Ideas?

Last edited:
I would think you would only need 2 regis becasue you only need 1 in play. Take out one for another warp point for that regi start.

I would think you would only need 2 regis becasue you only need 1 in play. Take out one for another warp point for that regi start.

I was thinking the same thing, if one Regi gets prized i'm down to 2 which is still more than enough I guess.

- Regirock
+ Switch

lol i built this deck today and its really fun and annoying to play against but i kept finding ways around it like plus power and such. its good and throws kingdra off bad if they dont play like 4 plus power and bucks which they shouldnt. i supose if kingdra is more popular this deck could see some play. try playing lunatone and solrock for also discarding fighting and attaching with solrocks attack.

try playing lunatone and solrock for also discarding fighting and attaching with solrocks attack.

From a fair amount of games I have played with this I haven't had any trouble getting energy into the discard, once you get one energy in the discard via say retreating furret/jirachi felicity or discarding a fossil with an energy on it you never have that problem again as Regi can constantly discard 1 energy and another random card not needed (sentret/furret after you already have one out) then forever an energy will be in the discard.

First change I'd make would be to add call energy. Armaldo's attack only needs :fighting::fighting::colorless, and the basic fossil can't do anything. It really seems a shame to not only use deck slots for starters, but to depend on those starters, leaving a fossil start useless. Regirock needs :fighting: energy in the discard to begin discarding and attaching, but I think 9 is sufficent for this especially with a high roseanne's count.

As you have call energy (which will often be used whenever Armaldo's attack cannot be), it is worthwhile using TS-01 in combination, also for setup in the early turns. This is about as good an effect to start with as Jirachi or Sentret but you would already have one pokémon there instead of the starter to work from. If TS-01 is used primarily for Claydol setup (but doubles for the others too) then 4 fossil excavator can be used as you have other ways to get the basics and Claydol anyway. With fossil excavator, you don't need night maintenance, so it's even easier to fit in TS-01 or pluspowers. Regirock makes use of discarded :fighting: and fossil excavator recycles the fossil pokémon, so why would you need night maintenance?

I think a Bastiodon tech should be considered against the many spread decks that look promising. This gives you an excellent option against Froslass and Yanmega which can be completly walled with Armaldo and Bastiodon. As Armaldo is walling attacks done to the active, it makes sense to protect the bench also as like a complete shield.

I'd use 4 rare candy for consistency, and it's necessary if the Bastiodon tech is used.

I'm not sure about whether to use wager or not, and how many. It could be a very effective option against pluspower dependent attackers such as Kingdra and in combo with Claydol.

This is a possible list using my suggestions:

Pokémon: 14
2 Anorith
4 Armaldo
1 Bastiodon
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Chatot
2 Regirock

Trainers: 32
4 Claw Fossil
1 Armor Fossil
4 Felicity's Drawing
2 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
3 Fossil Excavator
4 Rare Candy
4 Stark Mountain
3 Switch
3 Technical Machine TS-01

Energy: 14
10 Fighting energy
4 Call Energy

Armaldo is one interesting card, I might try this.
I actually think that furret does better than jirachi in this deck.
As stated above, 4 Call energy won't hurt, it can be very convenient to run them.

=D

I don't like the idea that call doesn't fetch fossils and it doesn't help with Regirocks power early game.

If you had the 3 slots free what would you say is a good tech? Is there anything that gets rid of special conditions? Anything that Armaldo can abuse?

I found that this deck does not do well against Gliscor, if they get the setup they can parylze then scoop and as you can't OHKO gliscor they will always scoop the gliscor and level up next turn.

Gyarados. Once it has taken 30 damage, flail will KO Gliscor or Gliscor LvX in one attack similar to Kingdra. Because of resistance to fighting, Night Slash will do 40 to it, and pester 20 or 60 depending on whether it is affected by a special condition. Xatu is a possibility, moving the paralysis over so you can 2HKO them the way they 2HKO you, but perhaps their super scoop up could stop that.

Playing a higher switch count is another option, with a Chatot to free retreat back (as well being generally awesome).

Unown G would stop the status from burning poison, so their only option of breaking fossil armour is through the use of Shoot Poison and pester. If you can recover the status, they need 2 Gliscor LvX drops to KO one Armaldo.

With Xatu, after sending the paralysis over it is worthwhile retreating as you have an extra turn, disrupted their plans and are making them need a lot of resources. I think it is winnable with a consistent teched list.

Similar thread http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81381

I had really wanted this deck to work. I was hoping to use it for someone in juniors. The strat is straight forward and easy to teach. However, the matchups against Magleaf, Empoleon and Gliscor were so bad that I ultimately abandoned it. Almost every archtype being discussed has a near autoloss to some counter. I think Armando just has more than most.

Magleaf - Weakness to Fire puts Magmorter in striking distance with just 2 NRG
Gliscor's 90 HP keeps it out Armaldo's OHKO range Gliscor either inflicts special condition and scoops or pesters for 80 takes a hit then scoops you can only switch and warp so many times while Gliscor can keep it up all game.
Empoleon softens up (Dual Splash) your Armaldos on the bench (before they evolve) and usually can get them in OHKO range for Surf together doing 70-100.

Last edited:
With Xatu, after sending the paralysis over it is worthwhile retreating as you have an extra turn, disrupted their plans and are making them need a lot of resources. I think it is winnable with a consistent teched list.

Wow. I love the Xatu idea, moving the paralysis guarantees you the ko. Definately gonna try a 1-1.

I think that Gliscor plays enough switch, warp, scoop to play around Xatu. But with unknown G it can definitly even the odds. The match up doesn't sound as bad as I thought.

But what do you do about Magleaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back