Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Team Game Play Mechanics

GenoFury

I play lots of pokemon, but almost of the matches I play is done in team format, 2 on 2. We have made some interesting decks that function quite well in that format, and others that don't but that would work in a normal one on one scheme. My question here is what do you all think of the format?

We follow more or less the old Wizards rules but with some changes we felt were needed to either update the rulings to match the newer EX and D/P series cards, or tweaks to attacks to limit their power.

One question we keep having some issue over is the usage of trainer cards on our partner. The old rulings for team play trainers stated that if the trainer card did not have a "You" or "Your" in its text; i.e. Bill from base set, vs Prof Elm from Neo Genesis, you could not play it on your partner. Now the issue we tend to run into is some of the newer supporter cards that draw. The Supporter card Professor Oaks Visit for example states "Draw 3 Cards. Then Choose a card from your hand and put it on the bottom of your deck." Now we have been playing that as you can't use it on your partner as it's first part has you "Draw" which is similar to how Bill is worded. Going by that, would supports like TV Reporter and Holon Adventurer work on just you or be useable by your partner?

We originally had allowed the use of supports like Oaks visit and others like TV reporter, but after rereading the WotC rules and how it applies to the trainer card Bill, we decided to remove their use. Bill states "Draw 2 Cards." It doesn't have the "You" or "Your" in their. Most of the newer supports that draw you cards also don't have this, TV report states "Draw 3 Cards. Then discard a card from your Hand." Since it has the Draw 3 Cards first, we ruled it similar to how Bill is played. But a support like Rowan can be used by either, as it states, "Choose 1 Card from your Hand, shuffle the rest into your deck then draw 4." It has the you/your for its effect.

About those experimental team rules you linked, they are interesting but seem to limit the game more than what we currently do. We do setup with both team members on the same side of the table but alternate turn order with a "Z" like pattern. We decide who goes first by rolling a die, usually 20 sided. Our bench isn't limited to 4, don't see why it should be and when one player of a team has no more pokemon or cards in their deck to draw, they are out of the game. But their partner must then place more prize cards if their partner had not collected all of theirs before being KOed from the match.

Well how well does the version you played turn out. We have been playing teams for ages now, with slight changes here and there as we come across combos/card wordings that have us rethink its use. We have come to realize that most in between damage effects are rather powerful. Take the new GE Weezing, a few of those in teams with normal poison or even toxic can add up very fast.

Back