Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

THE ANSWER as seen by Jimmy Ballard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BANGINBOX

Hello all,

As you all know I developed a deck that I called THE ANSWER. It is a deck that I designed for my play style that would give me an advantage in games versus the top two decks. Magmortar and Gallade variants. It was not built to face random decks such as Beedrill, Electivire, etc… It does well against other viable decks as well, such as Banette and Blissey variants.

This is an extremely difficult deck to run with an extremely advanced strategy. Every energy attachment pokemon placement and deck search is critical to the decks success.

Now on to the decklist I played at States…

4 pidgey
2 pidgeotto
2 pidgeot d
2 pidgeot
3 magikarp
3 gyrados
4 sentret
3 furret
1 remoraid
1 octillery
25 pokemon

3 candy
3 oaks visit or reporter
3 celios
1 beach
2 lake boundry
2 rosannes
2 steve
2 copycat
18 trainers

4 holon wp
1 holon ff
5 water
2 psychic
3 dre
2 scramble
17 energy

As you can see it is not your traditional build. It has tons of options for nearly every matchup. With all these options comes a bit of inconsistency. It is not as consistent as a turn two deck, however, provides many more options. I will give some very basic strategies for the top few decks and you can go from there….

Gallade is the toughest matchup, as every energy attachment means so much. The key I have found in this matchup is to hit the Absol/Pachi for 50 with Pidgeot and force the switch. Then NEVER attack it the remainder of the game. If they push It active with warp point etc… Force out the Octillery and attack the bench. This will take away the “bring down” attack that Gardy lv x has. This is such a big part of their strategy. Without that particular attack it makes it much more difficult for them to win.

Secondly, allow them to take the first KO on Furret. Then scramble the first Gyrados and force them to deal with it by turning all their prizes. Without any pprizes left to turn Gallade can max hit a Gyrados or Pidgeot with WP and water, for 40 damage, assuming they don’t have a DRE attached. This is a HUGE advantage late game.

Lastly you have the Pidgeot Delta. This should be self-explanatory. Without the ability to use Telepass and Teleportation, GG screeches to a hault. That particular deck runs little draw support as they count on being able to use Telepass to assist in their setup. Without this, ESPECIALLY late game the deck seems to lose steam and starts to fail.

Now on to the Magmortar… Pidgeot Delta cripples the draw that they use to get consistent setups. Not only that. They cant attack the Gyrados on the bench for obvious reasons. With the ability to burn the active it takes away the easy OHKO attack on Gyrados or Pidgeot. There are MANY more outs in THE ANSWER then a typical Magmortar can deal with. Without the use of Typhlosion and or Delcatty, this deck becomes extremely slow and stagnant.

Real quick comments about the Blissey and Banette variants. I haven’t played them so too much. I would however make good use of Pidgeots whirlwind attack versus Blissey as they can heal or retreat freely, and make better use of Holons WP versus the Banette variants.

I DO NOT CLAIM THAT THIS DECK CAN BEAT EVERY DECK IN THE FORMAT!!!! It sometime fails to beat the ones that are listed above. I can however claim that it CAN beat both more times than it loses to them both.

I will not be participating in regionals. I hope that some one can perfect this concept, as it seems to be a very effective way of combating the TOP 2.

Thank you James Flint for your OUTSTANDING ideas.

Thanx,
Jimmy

Last edited:
Still a really nice deck concept, Jimmy and it looks good.

Pidgeot d was one of the most underused cards and i knew it it would see the light since most people just simply overlooked this card.

But still, if that deck get popular, then Gardelades will still be superier with a Latilock tech so you still going to be stuck.

Remember gentlemen - Latilock > this.
Why latilock? Shuts off Pidgeot d body AND makes Gyarados MT unplayable while stalling on Psyche lock ;)

Cheers
Jason.

Still a really nice deck concept, Jimmy and it looks good.

Pidgeot d was one of the most underused cards and i knew it it would see the light since most people just simply overlooked this card.

But still, if that deck get popular, then Gardelades will still be superier with a Latilock tech so you still going to be stuck.

Remember gentlemen - Latilock > this.
Why latilock? Shuts off Pidgeot d body AND makes Gyarados MT unplayable while stalling on Psyche lock ;)

Cheers
Jason.

I was hoping someone would say that... If Lati lock seems to be a threat... You could easily drop in a 1-1 Crawdaunt EX instead of Octillaery and force the Gallade player to attack you with the Latis... Not a real good option here for GG.

I love this game...

Jimmy

I was hoping someone would say that... If Lati lock seems to be a threat... You could easily drop in a 1-1 Crawdaunt EX instead of Octillaery and force the Gallade player to attack you with the Latis... Not a real good option here for GG.

I love this game...

Jimmy

besides this G/G has other things it has to worry about. The mirror match, and Magmortar. So it can't possibly tech for everything. Now which would you rather tech for a tough Magmortar match-up or a very tough match-up vs. this. Just to have it thrown right back in your face, and instead of helping it goes from being a 35-65 to an Auto-loss. GG to G/G.

This is a sweet deck, Jimmy! Love the design! I would assume you just add in the Crawdaunt anyway, 'cause holding them to 3 total bench spots, although not as affective against G&G, will still be affective against decks like Motar, when you can Warp Point to put a stocked Lv. X on the bench, then put it back in your opponent's hand, PLUS it's water, which will also help with Mortar.

This is a sweet deck, Jimmy! Love the design! I would assume you just add in the Crawdaunt anyway, 'cause holding them to 3 total bench spots, although not as affective against G&G, will still be affective against decks like Motar, when you can Warp Point to put a stocked Lv. X on the bench, then put it back in your opponent's hand, PLUS it's water, which will also help with Mortar.

I thought of that too. However, it will only work if they have the LAtilock out. Otherwise I cant use powers.

Jimmy

As you know, I was wowed by this deck. very nice concept. This is the version you used at States? Cuz it looks different than what you showed me Sunday (TVR over POV?). Also, I'm surprised you don't run Scott in here. The deck seems to run efficiently enough, but it's not terribly bent on drawing cards. If a Windstorm gets dropped, it just might take a little steam away if you're playing against Magmortar/GG. Just a thought.

Nice Deck, I also looked very close Pidgeot D going in to states but never found anything viable to go with it. I never thought of combining it with the regular Pidgeot.

a few questions jimmy:

any reason for ff over gl?

what place/record did you do at atates?

any reason for no jolteon*?

why arent you going to regionals?

if you dont mind, what was X2?

thanks and plz answer

How did it do in states?

Well, as they say the truth is in the pudding, so how well did this deck perform in States?

I have played G&G from the 1st citys on and have done very well with it. I rarely take the 1st prize of the game, instead I wait until they bring up their first big monster an OHKO that with a Gallade until then I just Stantler away for everything I need. Yes, your Pidgeott d would course slow down of the deck, but that would just level the playing field by slowing down Gallades set up to your level, it would not give your deck any advantage in speed. Yes, the first time I would flip over all my prizes but your Gyrados would still be KO'd. After my prizes are all flipped then I would have to Sonic Blade you and if you got active again and KO'd my Gallade I could finish you off with any of my other Gallade or Gardevoirs that I have in play in play, or I might just KO you with Creselia X and a plus power for two prizes. My Gallade and Gardevoirs outnumber your Gyrados 4-3, the numbers game is in my favor if you are down to having to fight with your Octillery and Pidgeotts that does not bode well for your chances to win a 30 min game. Swiss is about who has the lead after 30 min so Gallades lack of power at the end of games is not so big a deal as G&G usually still has plenty of firepower left when time is called.

I am not criticizing your deck it is very unique and well though out, I just do not see how it is an auto win vs Gallade. True I cannot teleport, but between Holon WP energy and my stadiums I will still not have any problems switching out my pokemon without having to loose any energy attached to them. It seems to me
that this deck would be much more effective vs Magmortar rather then G&G.

Last edited:
^^^ Ok I can see your points. Sonic Blade does NOTHING especially mid to late game. As you say WP prevents it. Oh and BTW gyrados is not the amin attacker against GG. Pidgeot does a wonderful job.^^^

Where did I say GG was an AUTO WIN?

I also LOVE the way you ASSUME a full quick setup with no telepass. Funny.

My record does not signify the strengths of the deck. I ended up 3-3 after losing to a Beedrill, an EXTREMELY lucky mortar game and a scoop in the last round.

X2 was a failed experiment....

You can use any other Holon energy. But 4 Wp is essential. I just liked the obvious color difference.

Jolteon only works PRIOR to lockin Pidgeot D. Then its a wasted card in your deck.

I will be in Vegas with my wife that weekend. Like I said in another topic. This years OP format is insignificant. I think attendances are down across the board. Why play if you can go to worlds to grinder?

Last edited:
Wow this is awesome. Great work.

I'm intrigued by the abscence of cessation crystal, would it help the G+G matchup at all, ie. would you suggest it in a G+G heavy metagame or is it too pachirisu vulnerable? I just keep thinking cessation crystal has potential in this format to stop Claydol, Gardevoir and such, plus with holon wp active it cannot be smash shorted. Hmm... is the build too tight for tools?

Just what came to mind.

OK I see your point I just focus on the P part of the WP, so yes you got me on that one. Yes, WP would stop me from both Bladeing and Bringing you down, but you cant always have a WP and Water on all of your Pokemon. If worst came to worst and this deck did beat G&G even 40% of the time all I would have to do is tech in a 1-1 Ampharos d and your set up is shot.

As for speed, my Stantlers and Pachirisu vs your Furrets is a wash in set up, I was not saying that I would be faster then you, only that the speed of the two decks would be the same. And I dont envy you on your occasional Magicarp only starts.

It is a very interesting deck I will give you that, and the most legitimate anti-the current metagame deck that I have seen so far. It is too bad you are unable to try it out again in Regionals.

On another topic Bredrill will be awesome in Spring Battle Road when Garchomp X is out

Last edited:
I was looking forward to your presence at Michigan states, but I heard you went to Kansas or something. =(

I would love to play my Gallade against this deck. I kind of want to see a deck that can destroy it.

-Dustin

I wish more players of your caliber would post ideas. I thought of Pidgeot SW and Pidgeot d when SW came out, and I tested it against GG, and the added resistance didn't seem to help that much. GG would get setup way to fast for me to even get the Pidgeot d and WP out a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to put down your deck, or say it won't win games, because I have confidence that a theme deck in your hands would win some games.

Best of luck at Nationals! (isn't it ironic that the threads that get the most replies and have the best conversations are posted by the best players? *hinthint*)

OK I see your point I just focus on the P part of the WP, so yes you got me on that one. Yes, WP would stop me from both Bladeing and Bringing you down, but you cant always have a WP and Water on all of your Pokemon. If worst came to worst and this deck did beat G&G even 40% of the time all I would have to do is tech in a 1-1 Ampharos d and your set up is shot.

On another topic Bredrill will be awesome in Spring Battle Road when Garchomp X is out

Like I said before you can't possibly Tech against everything with G/G, prior to contrary believe it's not God. So you have to pick your poison, either tech for this and lose consistency in the mirror match. Lose consistency vs. Magmortar, and your tech vs. that match-up.

Beedrill will never be good,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before you can't possibly Tech against everything with G/G, prior to contrary believe it's not God. So you have to pick your poison, either tech for this and lose consistency in the mirror match. Lose consistency vs. Magmortar, and your tech vs. that match-up.

Beedrill will never be good,.

If you dont see the Garchomp X Bedrill combo then I do not have the time to teach you how the game of Pokemon is Played.

As for my record I never claimed to be all that good, but I would put up my record up against yours any day.

I never said that G&G could tech against everything, right now my only techs are against mirror matches and I went 5-1 in Mirrors in States only loosing my final match against it.

My only point was that if the need did arise that this ANSWER did infact provide some difficulty for Gallade, it could be teched against easily with only two cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back