Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Avengers

Porii Sames

Can't stand how overrated this movie is...good popcorn flick was all I got out of it. What did the gym community think of it?

below is my review for the movie if anyone is curious.
The Avengers:

The Avengers is an action movie. The Avengers is a superhero movie. The Avengers has a flurry of big names in the entertainment industry, in addition to Bay-esque explosions and great tense, tight action sequences. All in all, I walked in expecting all of this, and I’d say that the majority of viewers did the same. I wasn’t expecting it to be as funny as it was, which is always a nice touch. It was filled with action movie clichés, which I guess now every movie Hollywood chunks out is.
However, once you get past the attractive cast, explosions, and witty humor, the movie has literally nothing going for it. I’m not in any way suggesting I don’t love entertainment; Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies. However, Terminator 2 gave off an eerie, claustrophobic, and tension-building atmosphere, while Avengers just kinda…was there. I didn’t feel anything huge throughout the movie, and my mind began to drift very quickly. The plot was flat out much too simple for anyone with half a mind to follow, which can work in action movies to an extent so this was somewhat forgivable.
Here’s where my traditional mode of movie thinking comes in though: I walk into a movie expecting to be entertained and have a constant mood of the film given to me. In Terminator 2 and Aliens, I felt a tense, scared, and yet somewhat hopeful feeling throughout both movies. As far as “mindless action” goes, when watching Mad Max 2 or something similar, I felt a desperation and sympathy for the main character. In Avengers, I just kind of sat there, not really feeling anything. I understand this appeals to a large crowd, but not to me personally. I want to have that art of the film appear on the screen, not just explosions and CGI, which the film relied A LOT on.
I stepped back after the movie and realized: not a lot happened. The entire film literally could have had about half the running time and the movie still would have been possible to make since there was just so much action and special effects crammed into the movie. ESPECIALLY THE LAST SCENE. OH MY GOD, THE LAST SCENE. The entire war-fight was extended much past its dues and was clearly only done to entertain, and it got old quite quickly.
Despite its numerous flaws, The Avengers clearly entertained me, and is among the best superhero movies (The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, and Watchmen are all superior in my opinion) and is a good, funny popcorn flick if that’s what you’re looking for.

7/10

I. Want. To See It. Sooo Badly!

I mean really, I've grown up a fan of the Avengers ever since playing that old arcade (yes arcades used to exist) game way back, and while its lineup substituted...uh, someone over the Hulk and Thor, it still had Captain America, Iron Man, and Hawkeye. So yeah, been waiting for this movie for like ever lol.

Avengers is the greatest comic book movie ever. The end.

If you have any familiarity with the comics, movies, etc, you will feel the same way. The action was
awesome, it avoids lulls like other films. it is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and the few things
that you could nit pick about get brushed away because something awesome just happened.

Was pretty sick. I loved it. Hawkeye was legit.

Great CGI, good humor, awesome fight scenes.

However, them previews got me excited. MiB 3 AND a new Spiderman? Aww yes.
Posted with Mobile style...

I am not understanding of a critic, I have seen a few negative critic reviews on it. At the end of the day, Avengers will make close to a billion and the critic will make minimum wage. Jealousy much?

Overall, words can't describe this movie. It is everything a man, a nerd, a comic guy and movie goer could ever ask for.
Best movie in the Format, I'd love to see what critics could tech in to slow down the monster that is The Avengers.

Porii-You should work for The Academy. I respect your review, as I respect all critics. I understand how it works, there will ALWAYS be a negative to something.

Last edited:
Can't stand how overrated this movie is...good popcorn flick was all I got out of it. What did the gym community think of it?

I'm going to have to disagree. What you're criticizing the film of isn't really applicable. Does not a whole lot happen in it? Sure I could give you that, but a big thing with the movie is about how the members conflict and their growth as a team before the final battle. As for the battle scenes I guess that's mainly up to personal taste, I really liked how it used the characters and how they worked together (especially since it is The Avengers movie, that's kinda what I wanted most)

Also a comparison to Terminator 2 isn't exactly appropriate given the difference in tone and story.

In any case I really enjoyed the movie and recommend that anyone interested go see it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I don't see how you would be dissappointed by any means, as I walked in expecting exactly what was given to me. CGI fistfights, great action, putting a bunch of movies together, and humor i wasn't expecting. As far as I'm concerned, the movie met my "expectations," but it flat out could have been a better movie. Flawed, yet still good nonetheless.

@Vegeta: saying I don't abosolutely love a big budgeted and critically acclaimed movie (which has only a high 60 on Metacritic) is just lol. It's not jealousy; I don't even have a job, I just watch a lot of movies and sometimes write reviews on some well known ones. It's like saying it's jealousy if you disliked the Transformers movies, which is absolutely insane.

In my opinion, I agree with mostly all of you tbh. It's a good movie, it's a funny movie, and it brings people together despite their vast differences. However, I'm just one of those art-movie type people and this kind of movie just isn't really my thing so much as something like, I dunno, 2001: A Space Odyssey is. If you like the movie, great. I see where you're coming from, it just didn't appeal to me and that's why my rating for it was only a 7/10.

The Terminator 2 comparison was simply a comparison to a well known and well liked action movie, and I was describing that I actually felt something throughout said movie. I could have used something like, I dunno, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or Avatar. Or Gladiator. etc. it was just the first action movie I thought of.

Best comic book movie ever? No. Maybe top 5? Maybe. Dark Knight, Persepolis, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and Batman Begins all were more enjoyable to me and seemed like better and more thought provoking films.

Avengers was a good movie and smarter than the average action movie pumped out nowadays, it just wasn't anything stunning in my opinion.

I like rottentomatoes for my movie reviews, which lasst I checked was 93%, could be wrong.

The only way you could have made that movie better were to make it 45 minutes longer and throw in some crying scenes. Or take away the plathra of action. I would agree it is a definite top 5 comic-book movie. I would have it behind Dark Knight, V for Vendetta and that's pretty much it, until Dark Knight Rise comes out.

oh my GOD I gave a positive review to the movie. 7/10=positive. And if we're talking movie review sites, by that logic it only has a 68 on Metacritic, which is about what I gave it. Now, personally I'm an IMDb/RT person, but it's all w/e.

I would have made it shorter in some parts, longer in others, and made some more illogical things (ok I know it's a superhero but it certainly had its moments) deleted/changed.

Just got back from seeing it, I loved it. Wish Captain America would've had just a slight bit more uptime (as he looked kinda...lost when compared to the destruction the others were going about), but overall definitely my favorite movie of the year so far. Now to see if Batman will top it...

My only complaint is how you are saying that the movie is overrated and that the movie has nothing going for it. I respect people's complaints b/c to each his own but this movie is in no shape or form overrated. Also could you please list the many flaws you claim this movie has?

My only complaint is how you are saying that the movie is overrated and that the movie has nothing going for it. I respect people's complaints b/c to each his own but this movie is in no shape or form overrated. Also could you please list the many flaws you claim this movie has?

The movie is ranked as the 30th best movie of all time on IMDb's top movie list. This movie isn't bad at all, it's a decent movie overall and a great popcorn flick. But 30th BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME? Nope. Nowhere near that, MAYBE in the top 250 if that. But 30 is way too high, and the majority of my friends irl praise the movie to amazing levels, which I'm really not seeing

I...already stated the flaws in the film in my review. There weren't many, but they were there.

I know that for me the thing that really got me to love it was that it had many great well known super heroes that played off each other really well. The action didn't lose the characters in fight scenes like Transformes did, and it focused on each of them very well. So that could explain part of your confusion.

The movie is ranked as the 30th best movie of all time on IMDb's top movie list. This movie isn't bad at all, it's a decent movie overall and a great popcorn flick. But 30th BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME? Nope. Nowhere near that, MAYBE in the top 250 if that. But 30 is way too high, and the majority of my friends irl praise the movie to amazing levels, which I'm really not seeing

I...already stated the flaws in the film in my review. There weren't many, but they were there.

In your review you state that there was not a character that you could root for...that's why you should watch Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor. This movie was the first like it to bring everything together and I think that's the point your missing. You are not supposed to get to know any individual characters because they did that with the other films, you should be praising the directer for being able to bring all these characters together instead of it becoming a disaster. I think you should go see the movie again b/c this movie was definitley in my top 30 probably my top 10.

Like I haven't seen the other movies? I've seen Iron Man, The Hulk, and Captain America (didn't see Thor though), and still, while there were characters I liked more than others, that doesn't scream emotion. That screams me judging characters in a movie. I'll give it another try in a few months, but I don't want to blow any more money on a B-movie anytime soon. Of course, I could be wrong and the movie could be better than I originally credited it for, and I'm all for changing reviews (originally I gave Apocalypse Now a 6, now it is one of my fav movies). But overall, I'm not seein' the hype, or the breathtaking filmmaking that makes this movie a masterpiece.

This movie is by far one of, if not my favorite movie of all time. I really don't see how you can think it is overrated. Of course, I will respect your opinion for what it is. This movie was astounding on all levels, and even the person I went with (who does not like comics/super heroes) thought it was a fantastic movie.

Now, I can't wait for the second.

Back