Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

the doc's sucky nats report

doctormcdreamy

do you like reading sucky tournament reports from people who are terrible at pokemon? well you're in luck.

went 6-3 because i'm not smart in pokemon. and i'm just a stupid noob who is only playing the game for 4 months. oh I also got bottlenecked. That's really the overwhelming reason why. So many good players got squeezed out by bad players.

i thought long and hard about what deck i wanted to play. i think i made the right metagame analysis and thought that bandoom is the right deck to play. the whole thing is a crapshoot to begin with. and there could be a secret deck coming and i know bandoom has great donking potential and has a great suckout factor. so bandoom is good enough to win the whole thing. all i gotta do is donk and flip heads. oh and make the most consistent bandoom list possible. which i think i did.

so i pay my 70 bucks onsite to play. so let's play.

round 1 - Jeff Simmerman - one of the best players in Louisiana - playing Electinite.

I got this. That's what I thought. I'm a favorite. So I begin OHKOing. Then all of sudden he started playing slower as time passed. I was worrying about this ending on time. And I just felt pressured. So I make a misplay. And I lose the game. He played perfectly and I didnt. You practice and practice. Playtest and playtest. Know every single modified card frontwards and backwards. Study matchups over and over again. and I blow my chances for top cuts in my first game. I lost to a really good guy but this blows.

Oh and I got to meet his daughter. So yeah. wow. some of you people know what i'm talking about.

0-1

round 2- Lauri Hess - lady from San Diego, CA. - playing Flygon Eeveelutions

Her deck is good. But I have an average draw and average flips. Therefore I win. She's also another great person to talk to. I play the game to meet interesting people and make connections. Winning is secondary. But I win anyways.

1-1

round 3 - Christiana S. from CO with Empoleon Eeveelutions

She has a good deck. But I have average draw and average flips. Therefore I win. She's a great player and she's good looking too.

2-1

round 4 - johnmichael or johnadams from OH with infernape

I win because he messes up with prizes. Sorry man. I do that too sometimes when I'm playtesting. We played it out anyways just for kicks and he won. I got the infernape matchup. I teched for it. I think it's only 60-40 though, my advantage. But he just outdonked me when we finished the match for fun.

3-1

round 5 or 6 or 7 - Christian Cobian from IL with his original deck, QuickSand

Everybody in IL knows this guy. He's one of the best in the state. I think this is an autowin for me. But I cant get heads to save my life. And I had to start with a bad starter. The second I can't win a game in which I'm an overwhelming favorite is the second I know I'm not gonna make top cuts. I lose.

chriscobi. man. he's the guy. one of the coolest players around. I dont mind losing to this guy. He's quality all around.

3-2

round 5 or 6 or 7 - A lady with the Bandoom Mirror.

We both have energy droughts and supporter droughts. But I have the better list. Therefore I win. She's another great lady. Cool beans, daddio.

4-2

round 5 or 6 or 7 - A guy in San Antonio playing Kingdra Swarm with the Latilock.

So the guy is obviously smart enough to tech against the BanDoom matchup. But good Bandoom players are never scared of the Latilock. I reversaled up some of his key pokes. KOed it. He got setup. So I safeguarded. and That's what won me the game.

5-2

Round 8 - david Christian - the gorn - a FL player - the webmaster for pokepedia - playing Gengar-stall

the deck is off the wall. And very creative. I dont know how to play against it. he got a quick gengar and I was scared of the liability attack. so i chose not to have an early banny ex. so he has cursed stone out. should he gets that head flip. i'm gonna lose. i have to play the whole thing defensively. and that's not good. i safeguard but that does nothing. i'm waiting for my reversals and er2s. they dont come. i houndoom lock. i'm flustered. i didnt pay attention to him transcievering for an adventurer. he gets the cards he needs for koing banny ex. i realize that he couldnt have trannied. we both get cautions and i, a prize card. but it's too late. the banny is already koed. he's got control. i scoop.

he's one of the greatest guys you can talk to. one of the nicest guys around. i lost and i soak for a while.

5-3

Round 9 - Bernard Deville - from KY - Lucario/Eeveelutions

I dont even care about the game. But I just play to have fun and meet people still. I attacked with safeguard. Then waited 5-6 turns. then swept with Banny ex. He's also a good guy and stuff.

6-3

so you know. whatever. pretty disappointing way to end my rookie year.

but I am overwhelmingly happy for my good pal Jay Hornung from Iowa. Who got top 2 at the biggest and most difficult tournament in the history of Pokemon. Have fun at Worlds, Jay.

Jay, you gotta teach me how to play this game. Because I suck.

So yeah. take that Alex. No names in iowa. Pssh.

-------------
props to all and especially jacuzzis. hanging out in a hot tub with my pals is a great way of relaxing after a tournament.

slops to secret deck rumors like claydol.

Thanks for the nice words Noel. I felt really bad about the way our game went, with the Houndoom/Tranceiver problem. I'm just not used to seeing Houndoom and didn't think twice about putting the Tranceiver down.

GJ going 6-3 with Banette though. It was great meeting and playing you.

it was great meeting you too, the gorn.

and yeah. i was pretty disappointed to begin with. but now, i'm looking back at my year with pride. i didnt do too bad. it's my first year.

i think i played pretty good. sure counting wins and losses is pretty fun. but it's really all about the people you meet. fostering friendships and making new ones.

aww. i'm such a sap.

Back