Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Giver

PSYCO829

has anyone else been required to read this in middle school?
i remember almost every year in school, i had to either read this or holes
holes became a movie, does anyone else think the Giver is good enough to have a movie?
how exactly do books become movies anyway?

I remember being assigned this. I remember that assignment never even coming close to completion.

Holes, I read on my own. Quite enjoyable!

I love the giver I would love to see it be made into a movie. We read it as a class in 6th grade and we read holes as a class in 5th

so does anyone think it could be a movie?
while im asking, does anyone think a sequal is possible (not likely, but possible)?

It could be a movie, the book was good enough. I doubt there will be a sequel, because I believe that Lois Lowry said herself that there won't be.

I read the book once in 6th grade and again in 8th grade (last year).

while im asking, does anyone think a sequal is possible (not likely, but possible)?
There's 2 books that really aren't 'sequels' persay but 'partner' books. Gathering Blue seems to take place in a similar time period but where the "village" goes for a more primitive lifestyle whereas The Giver has a more sophisticated one. The 2nd book is Messenger and again it kind of partners with The Giver. However, it more is like a sequel once you read the book.

----------SPOILERS (kind of)-------------------------------

The main character in the book lives in a village where the head chief or elder is named "Jonas" and he came to the village "on a sleigh".

So yea.

I wanted to make 2 points about the book:

1) I don't think someone in 5th or 6th grade should be reading this. When I read it in 6th grade I had no idea what was going on. When I read it in 8th grade I had a much deeper understanding of it, but I still needed to talk with the class about it to get everything. And I'm one of the smartest and most mature kids in my grade so the other kids must have been struggling.

2) I also don't think this would make a good movie. I can't say exactly why, it just seems like it wouldn't feel right. It'd have to be in black and white most of the time and switch perspectives all the time. A little bit too weird for a movie (or maybe not, anyone see The Chumbscrubber? rofl)

Overall I thought the book was amazing though.

Yeah, from what I recall, it would be hard to make visual. How do you communicate the alien property of color to an audience that's fully familiar with it?

hmmmm . . . not really that hard of a movie. it would probably flicker through b&w to color smetimes. and i think everyone in 6th grade has to read it.
-kg

I read the book in Middle School, and I gotta say it's pretty good. Wasn't required to read Holes, but I'm considering reading it.

I read this in my senior year of HS, and it was really good. The only thing I didn't like about it is that when they release people, they kill them and they have no emotions over it. I never read holes.

there are 2 other books that go with the giver both do not explain what happend to jonas.But it gives hints about Gabe and stuff. i forgot the name of them though

BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN...'NUF SAID GO BUY IT NOW!...

Anyway..

I tried to read it and 4th grade but got a little confused, then I read it in 7th Grade and got it perfectly.I read it again between my Freshman and Sophmore year(this year). I LOVE this book...

THe Gathering Blue and the Messanger are O.K. books...But not as good.

Back