Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Need for a Pokemon Dress Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Holton

Given the sorry state of most of the competitors’ hygiene and overall attire in this game, I believe it is necessary to institute a dress code for all premier events in the future. The new dress code could be rolled out with the recently announced and equally necessary foreign card policy at the start of the 2009-2010 Trading Card Game season. This would give ample time for everyone to update their shabby wardrobe and catch up with the latest Hollywood fashion trends. Although, the need for such a measure should be quite obvious to most of the knowledgeable competitors that frequent this glorious website, I know some of you have been living under a Snorlax, so I will lay the entire case out.

Pokémon is a serious game that should be treated as such by the people that play it. Too many people blow off the finer details that are necessary for success by not taking this game serious enough. You would not show up to a job without first carrying out all the proper steps. Some of the more important steps include, but are not limited to: Showering, wearing deodorant, brushing your teeth, shaving for males (and some females), putting on clean clothes and putting on appropriate clothes. By waking up with a ten minute cushion on your Mapquest directions and throwing on whatever decent smelling clothes that were laying on the floor, you are disgracing the game. Sure, that shirt might smell alright, but you, undeodorized and unshowered, smell like the backend of a Skuntank. By the end of the day, everyone that comes into contact with you is worse off as a result. By finally instituting a dress code, Pokémon would be taken more seriously, and it is my belief that other good hygiene practices would arise as a result. Not only that, but Pokémon would be on the cutting edge of Trading Card Game innovation, as to my knowledge, no other card game has a dress code policy in effect. For once, Pokémon could be a leader that other card games can look up to and follow.

Not only would the dress code raise the overall level of hygiene in Pokémon, but it would stop the rise of gang activity that has threatened the game recently. Players showing up in gang shirts for notorious groups such as “Lafonte” and “Team Underground” are a looming threat to any respectable player. Furthermore, the gangs have started to incorporate other inappropriate attire into their wardrobes as seen recently by “Team Underground’s” liberal use of hideous bandannas. United crews strike fear into any free agent players at events and helps explain for the general domination displayed by the gangs. No rational individual can perform well when they face unmerciful retaliation at the hands of the gangs. Unfortunately, those individuals that do stand up against the gangs and achieve under pressure are ultimately sucked up by the gangs themselves in the end, or face a life of constant humiliation. One needs to look no further than the sad case of former World Champion Jeremy Maron. The young man lived the dream of a Pokémon Master for several years before he was cracked and broken by team humiliation tactics. Today you can find poor Jeremy bagging groceries at an Arizona Krogers humming along to the Pokémon theme song. The more recent issue of gang violence has plagued many a venue where the two rivals happen to cross paths. This unnecessary bloodshed needs to come to an end if players are going to survive long into their Master’s careers. By causing these posses to conform to a dress code, we are eliminating outward gang ties and alleviating the minds of the many good natured Pokémon players. No longer will players have to live in fear of gang strong arm tactics.

Now, after laying out the reasons a dress code is necessary, I will explain the details of it. First off, jeans and t-shirts would be banned in favor of the more professional slacks, button up shirt and tie for all events. Furthermore, matching dress shoes and a belt would also be included in the dress code. For the ladies, a nice dress or blouse is appropriate. At larger events, such as Nationals and Worlds, a full suit would be the standard for all males. For countries with different formal attire standards, Pokémon USA will arrange for a group trip to J.C. Penney’s before Worlds so that everyone can conform to the same dress code. This will further eliminate group identities which could be mistaken as gang affiliations by some participants. I hope that Pokémon Organized Play will take this request as seriously as I do and I look forward to seeing everyone in their professional attire next season.

Last edited:
checks for evidence of recent use of a time machine :D

There is a dress code: don't cause offense.

There is no hygene code. Just why do teenage males smell so bad when you put several of them together in a room?

Not only would the dress code raise the overall level of hygiene in Pokémon, but it would stop the rise of gang activity that has threatened the game recently. Players showing up in gang shirts for notorious groups such as “Lafonte” and “Team Underground” are a looming threat to any respectable player.

LOL Teams are now Gangs

*reminds self to change sig to "GANG M"*

Furthermore, the gangs have started to incorporate other inappropriate attire into their wardrobes as seen recently by “Team Underground’s” liberal use of hideous bandannas. United crews strike fear into any free agent players at events and helps explain for the general domination displayed by the gangs.

uh-oh trouble!

One needs to look no further than the sad case of former World Champion Jeremy Maron. The young man lived the dream of a Pokémon Master for several years before he was cracked and broken by team humiliation tactics. Today you can find poor Jeremy bagging groceries at a Pennsylvania Krogers humming along to the Pokémon theme song.

lol that reminds me of the "Ash Ketchum in a coma thread"

The more recent issue of gang violence has plagued many a venue where the two rivals happen to cross paths. This unnecessary bloodshed needs to come to an end if players are going to survive long into their Master’s careers.

Shoot-outs in Pokemon?
Waters and Fires fighting? lol

By causing these posses to conform to a dress code, we are eliminating outward gang ties and alleviating the minds of the many good natured Pokémon players. No longer will players have to live in fear of gang strong arm tactics.

ANARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, after laying out the reasons a dress code is necessary, I will explain the details of it. First off, jeans and t-shirts would be banned in favor of the more professional slacks, button up shirt and tie for all events. Furthermore, matching dress shoes and a belt would also be included in the dress code. For the ladies, a nice dress or blouse is appropriate. At larger events, such as Nationals and Worlds, a full suit would be the standard for all males. For countries with different formal attire standards, Pokémon USA will arrange for a group trip to J.C. Penney’s before Worlds so that everyone can conform to the same dress code. This will further eliminate group identities which could be mistaken as gang affiliations by some participants. I hope that Pokémon Organized Play will take this request as seriously as I do and I look forward to seeing everyone in their professional attire next season.

ROFL

If this is a joke, well done.
If this is serious, get help.

I've heard this idea from other people and I have to say that I like what I hear so far. A more strict dress code definitely improves the image of the game. Maybe be more lenient during smaller tournaments, like cities, but at Nationals & Worlds, there's no reason players shouldn't be able to dress in a full suit (or a nice dress for girls). Afterall, with all the pictures that get taken at the larger events, who wouldn't want to look nice? This is also good advertising for the game. Who is going to want to learn Pokemon if they see some sloppy teenager dressed in an old worn t-shirt?

I can only guess this is a joke thread...seriously, how are you going to enforce a dress code? Why turn off even more people to the game along with the new POP Policy?

Given the sorry state of most of the competitors’ hygiene and overall attire in this game, I believe it is necessary to institute a dress code for all premier events in the future. The new dress code could be rolled out with the recently announced and equally necessary foreign card policy at the start of the 2009-2010 Trading Card Game season. This would give ample time for everyone to update their shabby wardrobe and catch up with the latest Hollywood fashion trends. Although, the need for such a measure should be quite obvious to most of the knowledgeable competitors that frequent this glorious website, I know some of you have been living under a Snorlax, so I will lay the entire case out.

Pokémon is a serious game that should be treated as such by the people that play it. Too many people blow off the finer details that are necessary for success by not taking this game serious enough. You would not show up to a job without first carrying out all the proper steps. Some of the more important steps include, but are not limited to: Showering, wearing deodorant, brushing your teeth, shaving for males (and some females), putting on clean clothes and putting on appropriate clothes. By waking up with a ten minute cushion on your Mapquest directions and throwing on whatever decent smelling clothes that were laying on the floor, you are disgracing the game. Sure, that shirt might smell alright, but you, undeodorized and unshowered, smell like the backend of a Skuntank. By the end of the day, everyone that comes into contact with you is worse off as a result. By finally instituting a dress code, Pokémon would be taken more seriously, and it is my belief that other good hygiene practices would arise as a result. Not only that, but Pokémon would be on the cutting edge of Trading Card Game innovation, as to my knowledge, no other card game has a dress code policy in effect. For once, Pokémon could be a leader that other card games can look up to and follow.

Not only would the dress code raise the overall level of hygiene in Pokémon, but it would stop the rise of gang activity that has threatened the game recently. Players showing up in gang shirts for notorious groups such as “Lafonte” and “Team Underground” are a looming threat to any respectable player. Furthermore, the gangs have started to incorporate other inappropriate attire into their wardrobes as seen recently by “Team Underground’s” liberal use of hideous bandannas. United crews strike fear into any free agent players at events and helps explain for the general domination displayed by the gangs. No rational individual can perform well when they face unmerciful retaliation at the hands of the gangs. Unfortunately, those individuals that do stand up against the gangs and achieve under pressure are ultimately sucked up by the gangs themselves in the end, or face a life of constant humiliation. One needs to look no further than the sad case of former World Champion Jeremy Maron. The young man lived the dream of a Pokémon Master for several years before he was cracked and broken by team humiliation tactics. Today you can find poor Jeremy bagging groceries at an Arizona Krogers humming along to the Pokémon theme song. The more recent issue of gang violence has plagued many a venue where the two rivals happen to cross paths. This unnecessary bloodshed needs to come to an end if players are going to survive long into their Master’s careers. By causing these posses to conform to a dress code, we are eliminating outward gang ties and alleviating the minds of the many good natured Pokémon players. No longer will players have to live in fear of gang strong arm tactics.

Screw it. You can't tell me what to wear. I can wear whatever I want.

Vulgar, racist, profane or otherwise unfit clothes (I think) are already banned by the rules. If not, they should be.

Telling me I cannot wear a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt? My only other option is nude, I seriously own nothing but t-shirts and blue jeans. Would you like me to show up nude? Then don't complain.

What do you have against t-shirts and blue jeans?

Simple rule: If you don't like the way I look, then don't look at me.

Bathing and using deodorant. What if this person's water went out the day before a Pokemon tournament? What if they don't have any deodorant because they went out the day before and had no chance to buy some more? You're denying them the right to play?

I deny you the right to play a game that is targeted for kids because you're over the age of 10. Fair enough, right?

People stink, get over it. Or, alternatively, breathe through your mouth, but you're probably more sophisticated to do that, too.

I hate control freaks.

Last edited:
I've heard this idea from other people and I have to say that I like what I hear so far. A more strict dress code definitely improves the image of the game. Maybe be more lenient during smaller tournaments, like cities, but at Nationals & Worlds, there's no reason players shouldn't be able to dress in a full suit (or a nice dress for girls). Afterall, with all the pictures that get taken at the larger events, who wouldn't want to look nice? This is also good advertising for the game. Who is going to want to learn Pokemon if they see some sloppy teenager dressed in an old worn t-shirt?
I think my blue jeans and t-shirts do look nice. Have a problem with my style?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Now, teams.... I can agree there.

I can see where this poses problems attire wise, but seriously, calling them gangs? Ban team attire if you think it scares people, but it doesn't bother me. (not aimed at Ness, because I quoted him. This is just a spurt off to anyone)

Oh, and by the way. They aren't "gangs" they are teams. Teams are people work together, gangs kill people. Way to give people the wrong idea.

Has Team M, Lefonte, Hatter, or any other team killed anyone? I don't think so, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong here too, but.... Pokemon gives away or sells t-shirts (I'm not sure, I've never been to worlds) at worlds. I doubt they will ban them. It's funny you didn't mention hats. They make those too, just so you know.

Can I bring my iPod to a Pokemon tournament? It has rock music on it. I wouldn't want to offend anyone because I listen to rock music, just like 90% of other Pokemon players.

I have long hair (seriously, I do), am I going to have to cut it off too, or because I am a guy, must I have short hair?

I'm not going to change my entire lifestyle just because you don't like it. Just try to make me.

Anarchy!!!!

Last edited:

Thank God!!! I was getting sick of that ratty old La Fonte shirt. Not everyone can pull off the sexy T-shirt look like me. I'd suggest a dark tan Manatoni suit with cuffs and alligator shoes - very Florida chic with a subdued color that will work well anywhere - cuffs are optional. Starting immediately,PUI should send all players a years membership to GQ... while they're at it they should send out some Men's/Women's Health as well - have you seen the physical conditioning in the pokemon community? - absolutely appalling.... There is so much work to do... I'm calling Oprah... makeovers all around....

This is interesting. Let's get real it is a pokemon tournament, who dresses up for that? I would rather dress up to go to the mall. I do think it is important to look presentable wherever you go but you have to realize peoples values and they type of people who play pokemon.

So you're telling me that juniors are supposed to show up to a tournament wearing a full suit and tie? You'd be lucky if they would get out of their PJ's.

I already dress for success at major events. See the jacket and tie I wore at worlds last year. I wholeheartedly agree with the proposal put forth by the OP.

Major events are a serious issue and should be treated as such. Poor hygiene is one of the most infamous stereotypes that plagues the Pokémon community.

Telling me I cannot wear a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt? My only other option is nude, I seriously own nothing but t-shirts and blue jeans. Would you like me to show up nude? Then don't complain.
You could also not attend events. Or you could buy some respectable clothing. These are just some other helpful options.

Ok guys, I think all the TOs and PTOs could see the point here.

At tournamnets, esspecially ones in public places, people with their kids often come and check things out, sometimes even wanting to get a POP ID and start playing. Think about how many people would be turned away because they never knew Pokemon Dress Code existed because they never knew about the tournament.

*New kid walks by a game store where cities is being held*
*Kid walks in and asks the TO about what is going on*
*TO tells him, and he is interested in learning Pokemon*
"sorry", says the TO "but I can't let you play cause you have to dress properly, please come to some other tournamet to learn how to play the game."

Also, it's hard enough to get kids dressed up for church, BUT for POKEMON events....lol

I'm not trying to insult the OP, but this would be a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

I already dress for success at major events. See the jacket and tie I wore at worlds last year. I wholeheartedly agree with the proposal put forth by the OP.

Major events are a serious issue and should be treated as such. Poor hygiene is one of the most infamous stereotypes that plagues the Pokémon community.

You could also not attend events. Or you could buy some respectable clothing. These are just some other helpful options.
I repeat my question: What is wrong with blue jeans and a t-shirt?

And I repeat my point: Pokemon gives them out at the most major event of all, and people change into them there to show their love of the game. You seriously think that's bad?

That's just like trying to make someone go to a rock concert in a suit and tie instead of a band t-shirt and ripped jeans. Good luck, you'll need it.

Ok guys, I think all the TOs and PTOs could see the point here.

At tournamnets, esspecially ones in public places, people with their kids often come and check things out, sometimes even wanting to get a POP ID and start playing. Think about how many people would be turned away because they never knew Pokemon Dress Code existed because they never knew about the tournament.

*New kid walks by a game store where cities is being held*
*Kid walks in and asks the TO about what is going on*
*TO tells him, and he is interested in learning Pokemon*
"sorry", says the TO "but I can't let you play cause you have to dress properly, please come to some other tournamet to learn how to play the game."

Also, it's hard enough to get kids dressed up for church, BUT for POKEMON events....lol

I'm not trying to insult the OP, but this would be a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

EPIC WIN! *Wipes tear from eye and begins clapping*

Last edited:
There would need to be some sort of rental service provided for these new players obviously. Either that or it would be mandated that all tournaments now take place within five minutes of some location in which it is possible for players to go and purchase all needed articles that they happen to be missing.

Also remember that not everyone who plays Pokemon has their parents funding. They may not be allowed to take their "Good clothes" to a Pokemon event. That prevents even more people from going to the event because their parents don't want them to mess up their nice clothes.

Even more to add. At most of the tournaments I go to there are 3 CONSISTENT things.

1.) The Juniors, Seniors, and sometimes Masters are playing around on the floor, outside, in the grass, in the parking lot, on the stairs, and in general places that will get your clothes nice and messy.

2.) Fast food is eaten.
Fast food is really messy.

3.) You usally have a backpack on that will pull on the shirt and in general just make your clothing look a mess.

I take all the above possible situations from real situations at school where I have to wear a Uniform every Thursday from ROTC. It's a pain in the butt.

Alas, I can think of another problem. Temepture. I hate wearing my good clothes because they are mostly long sleeve, and when it is really hot out, I sweat in them, and thus smell, which kinda defeats the purpose of the second part of your thread.

1.) The Juniors, Seniors, and sometimes Masters are playing around on the floor, outside, in the grass, in the parking lot, on the stairs, and in general places that will get your clothes nice and messy.

2.) Fast food is eaten.
Fast food is really messy.

3.) You usally have a backpack on that will pull on the shirt and in general just make your clothing look a mess.

1) The aforementioned groups should exercise greater caution when they are at events and more than likely need to take some sort of etiquette class if they dont think that it's important that they keep both their appearance and their behavior at a respectable level.

2) Lunch breaks should simply be elongated so that players are able to go visit more respectable dining establishments. Frankly, I'm surprised that this idea hasn't already been implemented.

3) Backpacks don't go with formal attire. Because of this all players should simply purchase some sort of briefcase in which they may carry their belongings.

1) The aforementioned groups should exercise greater caution when they are at events and more than likely need to take some sort of etiquette class if they dont think that it's important that they keep both their appearance and their behavior at a respectable level.

2) Lunch breaks should simply be elongated so that players are able to go visit more respectable dining establishments. Frankly, I'm surprised that this idea hasn't already been implemented.

3) Backpacks don't go with formal attire. Because of this all players should simply purchase some sort of briefcase in which they may carry their belongings.
Yes, and we should all grow up to be CEOs of major corporations.

I will wear nothing but a band T-shirt and ripped blue jeans to an official Pokemon event from now on. Prof. Clay had beter like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, and Metallica.

Do you realize we are banning Japanese cards from the game to 'make it easier'? Making a whole bunch more rules on how I have to dress and act before/during a tournament isn't making it easier on anyone. When the judges have to worry about all the small things they can't even get to the bigger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back