Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Revenge of Geminine

Fangking Omega

Right then, I’ve mustered up the inspiration to at last try and write (and hopefully FINISH!) a fanfic. I love to write, and I write a lot, but I rarely have time to do fanfics because it builds off ideas that aren’t mine. However, it will be an interesting experience for me to attempt something like this. I’m going to do my best to remove the characters and story as far away from the standard Pokémon one as is possible while not straying so far from the line that it is impossible to recognise as being just what it is; a Pokémon fanfic. I'm even slotting in a vast number of my own made-up Pokémon. I’ll be sure to stick a couple of massive clichés along the line somewhere though...

I should get round to roughly a full chapter a week. Some chapters will be relatively short, others will be longer. Chapter One is somewhat short.

I’ll have to be wary of not babbling on too much about the story in summaries and actually get down to some solid writing I get sidetracked otherwise. I will therefore not be presenting any form of synopsis since it may spoil the story. It will involve some of my Legendary Pokémon at some point though, six of them to be precise. I intend to do a small set of fake cards to accompany the story.

I’ve also been egoistic enough to put myself in the story.

Today, I present the Prologue and Chapter One.

Prologue – Dragon’s Refrain

A history long forgotten will awaken again. The bravest hearts will fall with despair and the strongest spirits will crumble. Time will pass and the cycle will begin again.

A crashing sea, a thunderous roar, a red-hot sun. Serpent like, the skies will swim with bitter fear. All will behold them as they once did and sink to their knees before the great Shadow. Power without mercy, cruelty without thought. A nightmare once we had will haunt our waking eyes again.

Will the Saviour come again? Will we see the righteous light? Will the Three be cast down again, or will they join their terrible King?

Time will tell.

Chapter One – Guardian of the Mountain

“So, that is what they say.”

The words belonged to a boy no older than sixteen. He was crouched over a stone tablet scratched with strange text. His face was shadowed by the hood of his travelling cloak, and shoulder length brown hair was peeking out from behind the shadowy mask. He was just over six feet in stature, though he had been inspecting the stone tablets in the building for so long and so often that he was developing a hunch in the shoulders.

He was searching for something, and his quest had brought him to a lonely temple on the road from Mezereon City to Maplegrove Town. The main chamber was circular and carved out of marble. Flames flickered on the walls and cast eerie shadows about the place. The entire building was littered with ancient texts on stone tablets and it was rumoured by the people of Merto that a great secret had lain here for thousands of years. People who had seen this mysterious boy hanging around the temple speculated that he was here for that very same secret that none had yet uncovered.

After researching the languages of the distant past, he had deciphered a number of the strange texts. They revealed intriguing prophecies regarding the hidden power that lay beneath the foundations of the building, but did not reveal how to get to it.

“The prophets speak of the Three as though they were evil,” muttered the boy under his breath. “They were not evil, but powerful. Once I find them, that power will be mine…”

He took out three silver and purple discs that glinted brightly even in the faint torchlight of the temple. They were Pokédiscs, a newly invented device for improved storage and transfer of Pokémon. These particular discs were special, and these were the only ones suitable for the job the boy had in mind.

“The rule of the world will not belong to the Three and their King, but they will be my servants. The whole world will cower in fear at the sound of my name! I am so close now. Hold on, my mighty beasts! The Fangking is coming…”

~ * * * * ~

Further north of the temple was another boy of roughly the same age, slowly making his way along a winding road that wrapped the midriff of an enormous mountain. He wore a black t-shirt covered by a brown and black jacket along blue jeans that were dirty from his climb up the mountain. His white trainers with blue markings were scuffed and worn from his exhausting travels. Slung over his back was a grey backpack with markings like a Pokéball (another device for catching Pokémon). His medium length brown hair was wild and wavy, but his brown eyes shone with an unrelenting determination. This boy was Darren Carthy, more commonly known as Daz, one of the most talked about Pokémon Trainers in Merto.

The mountain was known as Greatvine, the home to Merto’s Pokémon League. He was here to fulfil his dream of becoming a Pokémon master; a goal he had been pursuing for little over five years now.

Daz hadn’t always lived in Merto. A few years ago, he had lived in Johto with his mother, having never known his father. At the age of ten, Daz lost his mother when she fell ill. He was sent to Olbranch Town in Merto to stay Professor Stanley Willow, an expert on Pokémon research and a close friend of the family. Daz didn’t make any new friends in Merto, and didn’t try to. He had found a love for learning about Pokémon from Professor Willow and at the age of eleven he captured his first Pokémon; Striktoil, the fire snake. Since then, Daz made good friends with the Pokemon and then aspired to train Pokémon and become a great trainer. He eventually caught more Pokémon and went on to take the Merto Gym Challenge. Over the space of two years, Daz succeeded in defeating each of the eight Gym Leaders, some of the strongest Pokémon trainers in Merto. He then prepared to face his greatest challenge in the form of the Pokémon League’s Elite Four and spent a year training his Pokémon.

His party of Pokémon includes Cobroast, the fully evolved form of Striktoil and Daz’s best friend; Kirosyche, an angelic Light type Pokémon with a beautiful voice; Leafly, a green bird with broad leaves for wings; Darukeni, a brawny Fighting type that evolves from Darukan; Starmie, a starfish Pokémon with a beautiful jewel in its core that radiates the colours of the rainbow; and Jolteon, a speedy Lightning Pokémon that evolves from Eevee. To aid his quest, he always takes the Pokégear that he received from his mother on his ninth birthday, and the newest version of the Pokédex designed by Professor Samuel Oak, VID (Visual Information Database). As a trainer, Daz has become renowned throughout for both his strength and also his temper. He does however care for his Pokémon since they’re his only real friends now.

He had been trekking up the mountain path for a long time. It was said that worthy trainers had to climb the mountain before the Elite Four would face them. He was just starting to grow tired and sat down for a rest. He pulled a bottle of water from his pack and drank it in large gulps, then took a few minutes out to catch his breath before continuing the draining journey to the top of the mountain. Another twenty minutes passed when he discovered some stairs and an entrance to a cave. He began to ascend the stairs when he heard echoing footsteps from the cave mouth.

“It is a long time since anybody followed this path, Darren Carthy. We were beginning to think that you’d forgotten us!” said a tall man with short grey hair who looked to be in his mid-forties. His eyes were a piercing blue. He wore an official looking red jacket with the Pokémon League emblem pasted onto it. There was something familiar about this man, but Daz could not quite put his finger on. The man smiled which had the effect of accentuating his lined face.

Daz stared defiantly at the man who blocked his entry into the cave. “You know who I am then,” he said with a hint of arrogance.

“Naturally, Mr Carthy. Your reputation is well recited around these parts. My masters have been wondering how long it would be before you finally came to face them.”

“So why are you here then? Are you the welcoming committee?”

“No, Mr Carthy. I am merely a herald to the Elite Four. My name is Argus Bowerton. I must inform you that they have left Greatvine Mountain to attend to other matters. The League is closed for two weeks now,” and at these words, Daz exclaimed in horror.

“What? How can this be? I’ve come halfway up the mountain only to be told I won’t be facing the Elite Four at all? What am I supposed to do now then?”

“Halfway? You’re outside the entrance of your destination, Mr Carthy. This is no simple cave! It is the headquarters of the Elite Four.”

“I am? Well, that doesn’t matter one little bit now that I know there’s nobody here.”

“Fear not, my friend. I will notify the secretary that you have been and you’ll be allowed to come here however you want in the future. Fly up here if you want, anything that will save you the trouble of climbing up this horrible mountain again.”

“Oh, great. Thanks…” Daz muttered, still unhappy with the result. He turned to head back down the mountain, but Angus held out a hand.

“Don’t leave just yet, Mr Carthy. I should like a battle with you first. I want to see if what they say is true.”

“I’ll fight on one condition, Mr Bowerton,” Daz said with a wry smile before turning to face the herald.

“What might that be, Mr Carthy?”

“Stop calling me Mr Carthy.”

Angus grinned before whipping a shining disc from his belt, “We’ll have a quick match of three on three,” he said before he cast it to the ground to release a Plantree, a Grass Pokémon that resembled a tree with powerful flailing branches. Its body was covered in a tough bark. Daz took up one of his Pokéballs and let out Leafly. The graceful bird’s leaves ruffled like feathers in the mild wind that blew. With a squawk, Leafly flapped its leaflike wings and raised itself from the dusty ground.

Daz was the first to issue a command. “Leafly! Get it with Drill Peck!”

Daz’s Pokémon was quick to obey, thrusting its golden beak at Plantree, Angus was prepared though.

“Plantree, Endure!”

Plantree’s bark flashed and glowed as Leafly attempted to deliver the attack. As potent as the effect was, Plantree prevented fainting by bracing itself. Angus followed up.

“Now Plantree, Flail!”

The treelike Pokémon thrashed its rugged branches furiously at Leafly and struck its weak body. Leafly couldn’t take the hit and fell to the ground, defeated. Daz recalled it and picked his next Pokémon. From this Pokéball erupted Darukeni. It flexed its muscles tauntingly at Plantree.

“I’ll fight power with power! Darukeni! Get it with one of your Chaos Punches!” Daz ordered.

Darukeni balled its fist which glowed with purple light. It then unleashed an incredible punch upon Plantree. Since Angus’ Pokémon was already hurt from before, it fainted. Angus switched in Volcone, a Fire and Rock Pokémon which inhabited a volcanic body. Its pale green face hovered in a plume of black smoke, peering out of its crater.

“Ha! Darukeni, take it out with another Chaos Punch!”

“Don’t give it the chance Volcone! Explosion!”

Before Darukeni could land another hit, Volcone blew itself up to knock out both Pokémon. It was two-all. Each battler sent out their next Pokémon at exactly the same time. Daz called Cobroast which reared its flaming head and bared its venomous fangs menacingly at Angus’ enormous snake made of metal, Steelix.

“Well, this could be interesting… Steelix! Earthquake!” Argus roared.

Knowing this attack would spell defeat, Daz instructed Cobroast to attack with Fire Blast. Each Pokémon attacked simultaneously. A powerful tremor quaked Cobroast into submission just as a blazing jet of flame licked Steelix’s metallic body. Each Pokémon was overcome. Argus recalled Steelix as Daz rushed over to tend to Cobroast.

“Very good… very good…” Argus breathed. “Very few have ever come so close to beating me before. You have your father’s blood in your veins after all.”

Back