Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Top Cut Invitational 2012 (Matches Uploaded!)

Pooka

Master Trainer
UPDATE: Matches from the tournament have been uploaded!

Round 1 - David Cohen vs. Tom Dolezal

Round 2 - David Cohen vs. Tsuguyoshi Yamato

Round 3 - Esa Juntunen vs. John Roberts II

Top 4 - Tsuguyoshi Yamato vs. Yuta Komatsuda

Finals - Tsuguyoshi Yamato vs. David Cohen

When more matches are posted, I'll update the original post. Thank you for a great event, everyone!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, everyone! Last year we were privileged to be able to host the first Top Cut Invitational, which featured eight of the game's best players squaring off to see who would come out on top. When all was said and done, the winner ended up being the most successful player in Pokémon TCG history, Jason "Ness" Klaczynski. Now that another year has passed, we are looking to invite some new players to clash with the veterans. Without further adieu, here are the players that we plan to invite to this year's tournament!

Jason Klaczynski (Confirmed)
Tsuguyoshi Yamato (Confirmed)
Sami Sekkoum (Confirmed)
Yuta Komatsuda (Confirmed)
John Roberts II (Confirmed)
David Cohen (Confirmed)
Esa Juntunen (Confirmed)
Tom Dolezal (Confirmed)

Due to time constraints, we were able to invite only eight players. While there were many more that we considered, eventually we decided on these players for various reasons. I know people are going to be upset that some of their favorites or friends were excluded, but I think we all can agree that this is an intriguing mix of some of the best the game has to offer. Also, we would love to invite the World Champion, but it's not practical; the player will want to celebrate their win instead of playing more. Ultimately, we are looking for a tournament that showcases the highest caliber of play and exciting stories with players from all sorts of backgrounds.

So, why am I posting about this here? Well, the point of the tournament is to give more exposure to these players and show them for the stars that they are. Although the tournament itself is important, the goal is to give everyone an in-depth look at what makes each of these players special. Of course, this means videos of every match and interview will be posted online for everyone to watch! If the Internet connection exists, we will stream as well, but there is no guarantee of that. Since we feel like the future of the game involves video coverage, the emphasis will be on capturing every one of these players in detail.

For the tournament itself, we tried to pick a format that gives the best opportunity for players to be showcased. Here are the details for everything the event entails.

Date and Time

The tournament will take place in the open play area after the World Championship ceremony concludes. Right now the approximate time is Sunday, August 12th at 6 PM HAST (Kona's time zone), but it is subject to change.

Format and Structure

If you've ever watched Starcraft 2's GSL, you'll be familiar with the tournament structure. On the day of the event, the players will be placed into two groups of four randomly. Two players from each group will advance to the Top 4. Here is how things will look.

Round 1

Player 1 vs. Player 2
Player 3 vs. Player 4

Round 2

Winners play each other; winners advance
Losers play each other; losers eliminated

Round 3

Both 1-1 players play each other; winners advance, losers eliminated

Basically you must win two games to advance, and you are eliminated if you lose two games; it's pretty straightforward. The games for the group stage will be 30 minutes + 3 turns. Then we will move onto the Top 4. The undefeated player from Group A will face the 2-1 player from Group B and vice versa. All top cut matches will be 90 minutes Best 2-of-3. The purpose of this is to have legitimate series that aren't hindered by time limits. In addition, we may see more diverse decks with the longer time limits! Of course, this will be run with the current HS-DEX format.

Tournament Rules

For any ruling disputes, we will be using standard P!P rules to resolve the issues. Penalties will be the same. We may need some people to help judge the event.

Prizes

Right now we don't have anything set, but there will be a trophy and booster boxes among other merchandise as prizes. If you would like to donate some prizes for the players, please contact me here or at [email protected]!

Now that we have a year of experience under our belts, we're going to make a ton of improvements that will make this a more enjoyable event for everyone involved. When it comes down to it, this is a spectator event. We want the community to be able to watch the best players in the world face off to show what the Pokémon TCG is all about! If you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to post here or contact me however you feel fit. Thank you!

-Pooka

Last edited:
Esa might be known better as the founder of The Deck Out. He has been Finland's National Champion six times!

This event was really fun to watch last year. I wasn't at worlds but the videos were really satisfying. I would really love to see all of the matches recorded and uploaded, but doing so would mean that most of them can't be commentated live right?

Only one match will be commentated live, but all of them will be recorded for commentary to be added in later. The videos will be much better this year!

If anyone would be willing to donate prizes, we're still looking for some cool things to give to the players. It would be appreciated greatly!

firstly i want to state i have no complaints with the players chosen. all are very exceptional...

i know the purpose of these tournaments is to showcase some of the best players in the world and make sure they get recognized among the mid to low teir players. i think maybe a suggestion for future tournaments is to only re-use the champion of the tournament (in this case jason K) and showcase a whole new cast (7 different high caliber players)

Congratulations to Tsuguyoshi Yamato for winning the event! We should have videos of the matches online within the next week. If you want to know how the event played out, check out this article. Thanks to everyone who made the event a possibility!

Congrats to Yamato-san.

I absoulutly love the picture of Yamato with his trophy, his box, and a sign from 2004 Worlds. Thanks so much to the Top Cut for doing all you have done for the past year.

The first matches from the tournament have been uploaded. For anyone who's a fan of the game, there's lots of great stuff!

Back