Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Things Every Pokemon Player Should Have

Dark_Mewtwo

Hi folks,

I am often asked by new players, "what are the things that I should have if I want to play Pokemon competitively?" The suggestions range from the physical (60 card legal deck, damage counters/dice/coin, ...) to the intangible (good sportsmanship, luck, analytic ability, ...) to the indulgent (ebay account, ...). I know when I answer these folks that I am always forgetting something. Having played Pokemon since its beginning, I take a lot for granted. There are also things that one player uses successfully, that another may feel is unnecessary. So the question is, if you could advise a new player on what to get ("a life" doesn't count) if they want to play Pokemon competitively what would they be?

Thanks,
Randy

Thamks for posting this Randy. Might I add having some friends who've been playing this game for years to lend them a hand. It doesn't work all the time though, but hey, anything is possibble.

-Peter

Apprentice
Good Area
Knowing a top player(I am willing to take an apprentice lol)
Apprentice
Dice
Positive outlook
LOTSA CASH

You must go to Prereleases and buy themedecks and boxes/packs before playing in organised constructed play. Buying a theme deck and throwing them in a City/State/Regional doesn't do that much for them. Go to your prelease. By a few packs/decks. Find a League! Practice Practice Practice. That's how the others are so good because they dedicate their time to practice to win. I would say if someone were to start around now, go to the DP Prerelease. Enroll in a league. And play in battle roads which will be more of a casual event than a competive city or state championship.

Dom's keyboard seems a little rubbish today from what I've seen of him. Could be the drink though...

Anyway, I have not much cash, and don't use Apprentice.

But I have some Holons cards, luck (a bit), sportsmanship, no dice, I know a few good players, and I'm on pokégym.

Oh, I've been playing a little over three months.

I've built up 8 Rare Candies, 3 Holons Transceivers and 3 Windstorms out of the crucial cards. :p

Hi folks,

I am often asked by new players, "what are the things that I should have if I want to play Pokemon competitively?" The suggestions range from the physical (60 card legal deck, damage counters/dice/coin, ...) to the intangible (good sportsmanship, luck, analytic ability, ...) to the indulgent (ebay account, ...). I know when I answer these folks that I am always forgetting something. Having played Pokemon since its beginning, I take a lot for granted. There are also things that one player uses successfully, that another may feel is unnecessary. So the question is, if you could advise a new player on what to get ("a life" doesn't count) if they want to play Pokemon competitively what would they be?

Thanks,
Randy

I would have to add- lots of patience with learning the game. Most of the time, unless your last name is Burt or nance- You aren't going to walk in to this and win all of your games being a new player. You must pace yourself and just keep at it...if the deck you are trying isn't working- change it! And don't be afraid to travel to other places...just make YOU the better player...

Friends who quite Pokemon and are getting rid of there cards.
Lots and lots of cash.
(If old enought get a Job)
A Deck
Cards to trade.
Rules book.
A High Ranking player to help and teach you and have as a friend.
A ride to the events....
Lots and lost of Pokemon know-how
Skills
Training of your deck.

You need a stuffy mascot to sit beside your deck and ask for advice during games.

People look at you funny, but it's worth it.

you really dont need apprentice
QFT. I don't use apprentice (doesn't run on my computer) and I'm having a great season...Same with you frankie (I assume you don't use it either). Anyways, the only things you really need is a good attitude and access to the 60 cards you need to play in your deck.

My Personal List (and reason why following each answer):

Deck (um, yeah, ya kinda need one of these to play)
  • Multiples of key cards should be used in your deck (ie. fleshed out evo lines, 4-ofs of Trainers, etc.)
  • Dice or some other form of damage counter (preferably NOT cards you shred to count as 10 HP per shred; dice are best because they are compact forms of displaying damage)
  • Dice or some other form of randomizer (again, coins are great, but d20 are better)
  • The Ability to Shuffle Cards (seriously, even Junior players should learn this ability; it is INVALUABLE and you'd be surprised how old some players are that can't shuffle (ie. I didn't know how to shuffle until 16))
  • Firm Grasp of the Basic Rules (duh...)
  • Firm Grasp of the Advanced/Complex rules associated with your deck (many players are unaware of exactly how their deck and/or parts of their deck work. Knowing how these cards function so you can explain it easily to other players will improve your gameplay incrementibly)
  • Good Sportsmanship (most players, including some high-level players, don't get this one; and all players lose their cool at some point, the key with this is being able to admit you screwed up as opposed to believing you're always right)
  • Apprentice (even when you don't have the cards, you have a way to deckbuild with unlimited access to cards)
  • Access to Cards needed for major tourneys (this envelopes friends with resources, borrowing needed cards, attending as many Prereleases as possible, etc.)
  • Ability to Playtest (playing your decks against your major competition in a League, online, at friend's homes, etc. is the biggest way you can improve)
  • Respect for players, peers, and Judges (I listed this outside of Sportsmanship because it bears emphasizing; so many people do not respect other players because of their new and budding ego and this really needs curbing ASAP, even with higher level players)

If anyone else can think of anything, feel free to add it. This is a frickin' GREAT topic!

i've been playing since september.
i have 24+ transceiver.
xx candy.
xx cards.

get good and win lots of cards, then trade for the essentials.
that's the play.

Back