Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Things the New Front Page Editor is Looking for in Feature Article Submissions.

DarkStar20

Front Page Editor
Things the New Front Page Editor is Looking for in Feature Article Submissions.

Introducing the New Guy

Hello! My name is Jason Schelin. I am 23, and the Tournament Organizer in Southern Oregon where I have run all of our leagues and premier events for 3 different cities for the last 3 years. I have a part time job and am working towards a College Degree as well! For the last 6 months, I’ve been the Forum Moderator for the Tournaments and Organized Play forum, and am extremely excited about my new position as Front Page Editor here on the Gym.

I have always loved writing, but am unfortunately cursed by bad spelling…(And handwriting for that matter.) Thank god for computers! I spent much of my energy during my grade school years on English and writing courses, as well as a few challenging courses in college, though it is not my major. I like to think I’m not too shabby at it though, but still have a lot learning to do. I have had the privilege of writing a few articles here on the gym, and spent lots of time studying the process of my predecessor, Da' Fish.

The Editor’s Process

The process I use for handling article submissions will be very simple, and I’ll take that same process every time.

• Glance and response
  • Before I even read the article, I will skim it, and tell you what required items you are missing. (I usually won’t read the article until you’ve got all the required pieces in.)
  • After basic article requirements have been met, I’ll give you an estimation on when I will be able to review the article and give you notes.
  • 1st Draft Review
  • I will give you general notes on things to work on in the article, like information needing to be added or taken away, or structural editing.
  • 2nd Draft Review
  • I will really comb through the article and give you specific notes on reactions I have to your article, awkward wording/phrasing, that kind of stuff.
  • Front Page!
  • I will ask you to put up a new thread in the Article Submission forum, and PM me when that’s done, and I will move it to the front page!

Of course we will go through each bullet point multiple times if needed until it’s finished, or skip them if they aren’t needed. Most articles need work after they are first posted, but a few get it pretty close on the first draft.

One thing I will be attempting to do better on is giving updates frequently. I was always a little bit upset that whenever I would submit an article, or make changes, I would have to wait up to 3 or 4 days before hearing back on them. I now understand how busy the staff can be, but it would have been nice for them to drop in and give me an update. I'll be trying to at least come in and type stuff like, 'Hey, thanks for the submission! I have my leagues and work these next couple days, but I should be able to get to it within 2 or 3 days!'

What the Article Writers should expect from the Editor

I consider the job of the Front Page Editor to be to work with the writers until their article is ready for the front page, and posting it. It is my job to make sure that the finished product is up to the expectations of the Pokegym Community, and I will work hard with you until your article is up to snuff, and I won’t post it until I’m sure it’s ready. If your article can’t be put on the front page, for whatever reason, I will try to help you get it to wherever it’s supposed to go, and still work with you to make it as good as it can be.

What the Editor expects from Article Writers​

Most gym articles are Deck Articles. There is a great article on how to create these articles here:
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140642
I will be expecting to see most, if not all, of what this article suggests in the Deck Articles. I will be looking for specific things though that will be required to be put in before I accept the submission and move into editing:
  • All of the cards in your list must be linked back to the page that the card appears on in the Gallery.
  • You must have the large pictures of the Main Pokémon in your deck at the top of the article under the title.
  • You need to put in an explanation section with all of the cards in your list, explaining why they are in there, and how important they are.
  • All other pictures in the article need to be the smaller pictures in the gallery, and linked to the pages with the bigger pictures.
  • You need to have at least 5 matchups of the core metagame decks.
  • You must include your strategy for the deck.
  • You need to post the intent of the article, (is it a fun deck or meta deck?)

I will also be strongly suggesting that the Deck Articles include:
  • A short description of who you are, what age division, and your experience as a player.
  • Your experience with the deck.

For other types of articles out there, I’ll be looking for good solid information and expertise on the subject matter for your article. If it’s a good solid contribution to the Pokegym Community, I will work with you to get it ready and onto the front page. Here are some things you should keep in mind for some of the different articles:

• For opinion piece articles, I will be looking for a generally unbiased view. It’s ok to display a belief in one side or the other, but both sides of the subject must be presented fairly and thoroughly. When it comes to opinion pieces, the goal should be to give the reader all the information they need to make an informed conclusion themselves, rather than you cramming it down their throats.
  • For ‘How To’ guide type articles, I’ll be looking for an in-depth and precise approach to what you are trying to put out there. The reader should be able to know nothing, or almost nothing about what you are writing about, and be able to benefit from the information. If you are creating this type of article, I’ll expect you to be somewhat of an expert in the subject.
  • For Story Telling articles, I’ll be looking for a complete and well told story. We’ve had a lot of great articles of this type, and it’s always fun to be taken on a journey with the writer. You’ll be wanting to be as complete and detailed as possible. It’s ok for these articles to be nice and long, and most of these types of articles should be teaching the readers something about what you got from your experience, and what they might get if they were to do something similar.

Something I will be expecting from all articles before I begin editing:
  • You need to put the article through a Spelling/Grammar check program. If it’s got a lot of errors, I will ask you to fix them before I give notes.

The main thing I expect from the Writers is patience. No one likes a bad article, and I’m going to be doing everything in my power to make sure that every article is top quality. That means you have to be willing to put in the work. Most articles don’t get published off the first draft. Don’t expect your article to be posted on the front page a few hours after you submit it, or even the next day! Even the best articles that are near perfect on the original submission may have to wait a few days before they are properly reviewed and posted. But everybody will have a chance to make it to the front page if they are willing to put in the work.

Conclusion​

The front page is the face of the Pokegym. I’m honored that I’ve been given the opportunity to provide this service to the Pokegym, and am planning on doing the best I can to help all the article writers to represent the Gym in a positive way. While I am new at this, I’m not new to the feature article section or process, and I believe I have a lot to offer it. I look forward to working with all of you in the future!

Good to know for anyone planning on posting their fancy new HGSS decks...

I give it a week before DarkStar feels like he never wants to see another Emboar or Reshiram ever again.

This set up sounds brilliant and is way overdue. If this is how things are going to be, then I think the front page will be massively improved.

First and foremost Jason, congrats on your second part time job..lol. This is Kenny Moylan from up North. My crew and I wish you the best and if you ever need help don't hesitate to ask.

Kenny Moylan, DJ, Ozzie, Keanue and Issah

This system is too rigid - I hope top-notch articles won't be rejected for deviation from this rather strict list of requirements.

I suppose I am pleased with this because there have been several articles of questionable quality recently submitted. However, I feel that it regulates the system too tightly and time will tell if it is helpful or not. Certainly, I am concerned that this rather heavy-handed approach will also slow down the editing process considerably. Because of this, I expect that every published article will have both the date of submission and the date of publication listed. If the system proves to be inefficient, the editing staff should consider reverting or at least trimming the editing process.

You talk big, but I am certain the system will soon fall apart, as your 'What Won Regionals' thread is, as of this post, not up-to-date. Since you've set quite the standard for yourself, it's in your hands now. Make good on your promises, and I'll be impressed.

I feel the same as box of fail. I'm very glad there will be more quality control but at the same time it seems like the articles will become redundant after a while.

^^I wish I could say I was surprised by your skepticism and generally negative view Box, but it's not the first time you've
given me a hard time about decisions I've made when taking charge of something before giving it a chance.

I like this system. I'm giving anybody who wants to write an article the chance to know exactly what they need to do to get
to the finish line, and committing to help them get there. It's not like this is a new system. This is the same system I've been
running since I took over.

I will admit that it hasn't been fully tested under the weight of a flood of articles, but we'll just have to see what happens. And
you know what? If you turn out to be right, and I can't Walk The Walk, I'll change the system until it works. I think this is a great
place to start, and I bet it will turn out great for the gym community.

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

I think a better image guide WOULD be nice, as it took me forever to figure out how to post them on my article.

About new HGSS decks although vilegar is well "retired" mismagious is an alternitive, the only problem is it only has 80 health : (

There's a better method for image linking than the one you provided. Try it, you'll like it ^_^

I would suggest one minor tweak to it, in requesting that 5 matchups be posted. Sometimes, there might not be 5 matchups worth testing. Or, in the case of not knowing the meta, it would be impractical to post 5 matchups. I would rather see 2 or 3 matchups being the requirement. Quality of quantity IMO.

I would suggest one minor tweak to it, in requesting that 5 matchups be posted. Sometimes, there might not be 5 matchups worth testing. Or, in the case of not knowing the meta, it would be impractical to post 5 matchups. I would rather see 2 or 3 matchups being the requirement. Quality of quantity IMO.

Agreed, and possibly, in addition, adding statistical data of how many matches were played, against which decks, and any other details that affect the final projection, rather than basing it in wide-general theorymon.

Back