Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This guy hates Machamp (Naki's 4-3 OH States)

Naki Feralkin

So, I wake up to another wonderful (and long) day of the fun and awesome pokemanz. I (have been) sitting healthily in top 10 in Ohio in rankings after a decent showing in Virginia last week, so I opt for Legos (Palkia Toolbox with 1-1 Dialga) as my play again. I think I might have regret it, but I did well (IMHO) even though luck in this game still absolutely hates me.

EIGHTY-FIVE Masters in Ohio. Top 16 with 7 rounds. Long day.

Round 1 Vs. ??? (Machamp)

Great. Beginning of the day and I already have to play this mess. Fortunately, my opening hand was clean, even though I had no idea he was playing Machamp until the Roseanne's dragged one out. I opt to take the extra turn and Unown G my early Palkia. I level it up and constantly Pearl Breath him to oblivion. He doesn't even manage to get a Champ out and I lock his Claydol with sprays and Mesprits until I can snipe off the Claydol. He can't get a Candy and apparently only runs one Machoke in the deck so I manage to wipe him out quickly.

(1-0)

Round 2 Vs. Matt Nawal (Uxie/Crobat Swarm feat. 1-0-1 Machamp)

I went into this game becoming the great assumer, assuming that I had yet again another Machamp, because he'd told me about him donking his first opponent's G-deck with Machamp, so I'm not looking forward to this.

Imagine my surprise when he takes a 6 minute long turn filled with Unown R's, Uxies, and Crobats. It was a tech?! I was annoyed because I was setting up a Palkia with Unown G again to ready myself. After his long turn, I still manage to get something going, lock out a Uxie the following turn and just jump ahead. He can't empty his deck out for the constant 60 damage and can't keep up with Palkia's damage as I sniped out a Machop before it gets to the Champ.

(2-0)

I'm feeling confident, and then round 3.

Round 3 Vs. Drew Holton (Dialga/Palkia)

Oh. Great. 2nd place at nationals and one of the best players in the state. In addition to the fact that the Dialga heavy variant just walks on my Palkia version. Greatest part of this matchup is he was blinging the Dialga sleeves and I was blinging the Palkia sleeves.

Long story short, I do manage an early 2 prize lead while he dumps 3 special metals on his dialga, in which he comes out and obliterates me all over the field leaving sad face Palkia pieces everywhere.

(2-1)

Round 4 Vs. Michael O'Donnell (Kingdra)

I like this matchup. A ton. I know the deck from playing against it a million times at cities, and I love just locking it down forever. I got a very early lead by dropping a quick Energy Gain and got Palkia G by Turn 2. I managed a lot of early prizes and even got the Pachy out against him for extra damage. I kind of lost some serious crap late game, but manage to squeak away with a win on time. I still had another Palkia ready to go, but it was gonna be a LOT closer than I wanted it to be. I was sitting at one remaining prize, him at 2. Too close for comfort.

(3-1)

I like my odds here, doing good, Drew as resistance, getting confident here.

Round 5 Vs. ??? (I am so sorry I don't remember names right now) (Galactic Toolbox, Toxicroak Variant?)

Early Palkia start, power sprayed critical stuff, walked all over the little nasties. Did not drop a Snowpoint to give him that luxurious extra HP that he no doubt wanted.

Long story short, Palkia owned him.

(4-1)

I REALLY like these odds now.. however, my luck, just goes down the drain from here...

Round 6 Vs. ??? (I've seen you so many times and I never remember your name.. -.-) (Kingdra)

This match just erked me slightly. only 2 prizes taken until time, I couldn't kill a Claydol and I was sitting comfortably ahead for so long. Time gets called and I can't do anything. /sigh.

(4-2)

I REALLY hate tension-filled final rounds. And my heart pretty much just stopped as I knew my luck at ended here as I stared in shock and annoyance at my Round 7 opponent. Not because of who he is, as I respect him a ton as a player, but I knew what he was playing and I just pretty much thought to whatever god exists in this world: "Do you hate me? Do you not want me cutting or something?"

Round 7 Vs. David Brown (Machamp)

Yes. THIS thing again. I get so far, start off so well, and I get paired up. Against Machamp. OF ALL things. I'd beaten it once before, but I know Brown's list is just plain better than the ones I've seen before. I start with a stellar Uxie/Unown G start, staring blankly like a deer at headlights at my supporterless hand, wondering just what in gods name I'm going to do.

Mr. Brown has got to have one of the fastest Machamp lists I have ever seen. In his first turn alone, I think I saw 2 Machamps hit the field along with 2 Unown R's and a Pokemon Rescue to bring an Unown R back as well as like 2 Pokedex Handy's and a great ball. I don't think he has a single bad draw in that deck.

Needless to say, I get nothing. I try to swing with a Uxie to get some damage and buy time to set ANYTHING up, and he flips ALL 4 heads on Hurricane Punch, just dashing my hopes right there.

Sad Naki. Very sad Naki. (4-3 and another cutless States showing. :()

I mope for a while and I swear revenge at Regionals. I can't be a Dragonite fan without a Dragonite Trophy. I am beyond desperate. I know I'm a good player, but I just seriously lack some luck in this game and I wish someone would throw me a bone here. My time will come eventually! *raises fist*

Props:
- Team 330 for doing relatively well (Richie and Aquaman cut! woo woo!)
- Legos for not falling out on me. I don't blame the deck, I blame the luck of the person running it.
- Ohio judges for still being awesome
- Ohio for being awesome to make 150 PLAYERS! WOOO!
- Whoever threw Chris (Not Fulop) into a wall was hilarious.

Slops:
- Machamp. Please. Just go away. Stop haunting me. I know you hate how I ditched you after Sandusky because you can't beat Dusknoir, but for the love of god, leave me alone when I'm on a roll! X.X
- Machamp (Yes, I'm bitter)
- Long day and I'm tired
- Severely bad luck continues to haunt me. So long as luck exists in this game, I'm going to continue not doing well.
- Did I mention Machamp?

Let's talk about luck. Baby, you are far from the only one with the craptastic luck. How about my awesome double honchkrow hand last week? Well, I have no energy, a warp point, 3 energy gains, 3 power sprays, and a poketurn. Hmm. I'll attack with Honcho's orders for 3 turns. *Opponent plays giratina and let loose* *Draws new hand* Attack with Honcho's orders another 6 times before i get a crobat. Thanks energy and supporters for being buried in the deck and never showing your face.

Sorry dude! U know how my day went!! Luck is soo much of a factor in this game! lol But, I kno you'll kill @ regionals! Can't wait 2 c u there for this will b my 1st time! Check u later.

ya i fell ya i got donked by a machamp to fast at states and i coudnt set up like my deck was supposed to sooo its just about luck i guess at some points

Down with Machamp! We're feeling it too. Andrew's only losses were to Machamp - a first turn donk during Swiss and then in top 2 cut. Still, it was a great day for Pokemanz in Ohio and you'll get 'em at Regionals.

Back