Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This year's E3 has been the last as we know it (scaled down).

Orange Soda

EDIT: For official news, see my post about the ESA announcement further down.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's likely that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, but it's clear that the days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone.

Calls to ESA staff are not being returned at present.

It's a surprise, but I guess it makes sense if it's true.

Last edited:
It's peculiar that the games industry's big event happens before the product is released, while every other industry's events (The Oscars, the Grammys) happens afterwards. The Oscars can drive sales up because the product is already out there. E3 can only drive hype up, as the event'll be forgotten by the time the game hits the stores, but it's always been proportional to how much is already out there. The big E3 stories always involve games people are already looking forward to, like Halo 3.

It does make sense, though I have a feeling this'll blow over and E3 will continue.

Well, regardless of the situation, the costs of the event never justified the returns. Not only that, but it was never open to the public, so how exactly are you going to broadcast something like this to millions more people while trying to get some cash out of it? Easy. Make it open to the public. Have them order their tickets months before the show, like Ozzfest...

Or better yet, I have some great ideas...

1. Stop spending so much for using flashy designs. You don't see someone at E3 going "There is too much pink on this wall and too much blue on this wall. The green and orange don't mix well here." No; you see people from the video game industry ready to crap their pants from the surprise or the sight of the next Doom game or the next Zelda game.

2. Sell some fricken demos of the games right then and there. I don't care how much you sell them for, nor do I care if you run out of copies. Make some fricken money from this thing. Tips and Tricks and EGM did it whenever they had a spot at E3.

3. Stop spending millions of dollars by giving celebrities that go to E3 stuff that they probably aren't going to use. I kid you not. I already saw the VH1 "Fabulous Life" special about award shows. Millions of dollars are spent on the celebrities that go to the award shows. Why? Because they go. They get free stuff just for attending something. Chances are E3 is no different.

My two cents...

Shiloh Phoenix said:
don't famous people get like free iPods and crap?
Depends on where they attend...

If it's something that is high-profile as the movie awards, they can get iPods, free clothing/shopping sprees, video game systems, free vacations, hair products, etc...

And I only got to go these 3 years! The Last two as press.

Well... I just sent a message to my connection at Nintendo to see if they can shine any light on this. I'm also waiting on word from the ESA. If they do announce and confirm the end of E3 please join me in a eulogy and moment of silence in remembrance of the greatest expo ever.

We will miss you.

If E3 is overwith, you can bet that something else will take its place next year.

It is such a HUGE way for game companies to show-off that there's no way they'd just let it disappear.

Well, here's the official news.

http://www.theesa.com/archives/2006/07/for_immediate_r.php

Washington, DC (July 31, 2006) – To better address the needs of today’s global computer and video game industry, the 2007 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo) is evolving into a more intimate event focused on targeted, personalized meetings and activities, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.

“The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago. At that time we were focused on establishing the industry and securing orders for the holiday season,” said Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, the trade association representing U.S. computer and video game publishers and the owner of E3Expo. “Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program, including higher quality, more personal dialogue with the worldwide media, developers, retailers and other key industry audiences.”

The new E3Expo will take shape over the next several months. As currently envisioned, it will still take place in Los Angeles, described by ESA as a “great and supportive partner helping to build E3.” It will focus on press events and small meetings with media, retail, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, E3Expo 2007 will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

“E3Expo remains an important event for the industry and we want to keep that sense of excitement and interest, ensuring that the human and financial resources crucial to its success can be deployed productively to create an exciting new format to meet the needs of the industry. The new event ensures that there will be an effective and more efficient way for companies to get information to media, consumers, and others,” said Lowenstein.

Additionally, the evolution of the video game industry into a vibrant and expanding global market has led to the creation of major events in different regions, such as the Games Convention in Leipzig, the Tokyo Game Show, and company-specific events held by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and others around the world. As a result, Lowenstein said, “It is no longer necessary or efficient to have a single industry ‘mega-show’. By refocusing on a highly-targeted event, we think we can do a better job serving our members and the industry as a whole, and our members are energized about creating this new E3.”

Additional details about the new E3Expo event will be forthcoming in the next few months.

The ESA is the U.S. association dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the companies publishing interactive games for video game consoles, handheld devices, personal computers, and the Internet. ESA members collectively account for more than 90 percent of the $7 billion in entertainment software sales in the U.S. in 2005, and billions more in export sales of entertainment software. For more information about the ESA, please visit www.theESA.com.

edit

Sweet!
But to bad they won't be featuring the trade show however.

Last edited:
Sheesh your quick. I just finished posting the news at The Labs.

Anyways. I'll give it one chance. If it ends up being crap... I guess I'll be going to GDC and ECS instaed. Also, my contact at Nintendo doesn't know what's going to happen. But did mention that if it goes bye bye, they'll be doing something themselves.

Can we possibly expect a SpaceWorld here in the states? Odds seem really good now. The only thing that kept holding off SapceWorld here was E3. Now with a lackluster E3... who know's?

Back