Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Throne0fLegends Regional Report Eastern Canada

Throne0fLegends

Alright, so I don't write reports very much, but I'll try to make this one as detailed as I can. However, if I miss any details, I'm going to apologize in advance and please bare with me as it's 2 in the morning and I might be a little too tired to see if I'm typing correctly =P.

So the morning of, I realize I only got maybe 4 hours of sleep and Geneses (OmegaPrime), his bro, and I get ready to head out. We pick up the other members of our group, Curtis, BJ, and Mark and head up to TO. We get there, I still haven't decided what deck to use. I have 3 decks, T2 Banny, Shiftry EX Krow, and my GG deck that I played at Provs. I go up to my friend Paul and asked for advice. He told me to go with the GG and so it was settled. I still had some doubts but it was too late now as the list was handed in. Now onto the rounds...

Round 1 Vs. Renee (lickilicki, typhlosion, delcatty) [turtwig]

She was a new player and I think she was just here to keep the Lesage family company as she was their cousin. I guess this was Zach's infamous lickilicki deck that he always spoke about. Unfortunately I got a turn 3 gardevoir and locked a cyndaquil down? =P. After the match, I ran through another one with her to show her what some of her pokemon did and what I thought to be how the deck worked. All in all a very nice person and a pleasure to play with.

1-0

Round 2 Vs. ???? (Gardevoir/Gallade/Claydol)

I'm sorry I forgot your name, but I know who you are haha. The match started out with me a stantler, and him a ralts I believe. I went aggro stantler this round knowing that I had a scramble in my hand when he knocked out my stant. I confused his ralts for 20 and was ready to pluspower and frighten horn the next turn for 30 and the knock out, but of course he hits both his energy removals and evolves into a kirilia and double rainbows me for 30. He knocked out my stantler the next turn with his gallade and I brought out my gardvoir, laid down a lake boundary started setting up a gallade of my own, placed a plus power down and locked him for a 140. He tried to recover, but in the end time was called and I was up on prizes. Good match sir. Very well played.

2-0

Round 3 Vs. Kristi Beach (Gardevoir/Gallade/Furret)

She started off with a ralts and I with a stantler. She tried very hard to confuse me, but failed twice. I got set up, but she recovered by getting a furret out soon after and keen eyeing. This is where the problems began to start for me. She had no draw cards in her discard pile. Only a bebe's. I was running with maybe 3 - 4 cards in my hand and she was telepassing for all of my supporters. I had to go on the aggressive and I began locking her while setting up another kirilia on the bench. Luckily she didn't have the necessary energies to attach and catch back up and I got too far ahead for her to come back. It's always a pleasure though to play with you. Good game.

3-0

Round 4 vs Robin Mackenzie-Boone (Weavile/Darkrai/Blissey)

Robin and I practice at the Oakville League all the time and it's always fun times to play against him. It really relieved a lot of pressure of watching my every move and to be honest I thoroughly felt like it was just another league game in this one. He started with a Sneasel and I with a Stantler. I went first and lead for a roseanne's. I knew he was going to attack fast and hard so I decided to get an extra stantler along with a ralts so I can set up in case my active dies or if he warped me out. As it turns out, he got a turn 2 weavile and started chipping away at my hand and KOing my stantler with a strength charm. I brought up another stantler and placed a duskull on my bench along with another stantler all the while builidng up my lone ralts. He got a T3 darkrai lv. x out with a blissey being set up on the bench. I decided to sent up my duskull thinking I had resistance on his blissey, and hoping to stall for a turn. I forgot he can be turned dark and turn into my weakness and do double damage to me hahaha =P poor duskull. After falling behind 3-4 prizes (all stantlers and one duskull), I got out my gallade and lake boundary and flipped one to KO his blissey. Time was running a little tight and I do apologize now for rushing you Robin, but I desperately needed to catch up if I had any chance. Eventually my gallade was too much as all his pokemon were weak to it and the game was soon over. Thanks for the match, I was really impressed with the deck and congrats on making something different from the archetypes being played and making it so far.

4-0

Round 5 vs. Sebastian (PLOX)

This one is actually quite short. At this point, I knew I was in the top 16 so I wasn't really worried so I played carelessly. I got a turn 3 Gardy out and psychic locked him without setting any other ralts up. My mistake. He sends up a Gallade, attaches scramble, wagers me, i lose it, and psychic cuts me for the KO. I tried to recover with stantler, but it was too late as he would just wager me every turn to get rid of my supporter. Nice match as always, sorry it couldn't be a little more exciting =P.

4-1

Round 6 vs Zach Lesage (Gardy/Gallade/Furret)

The last match and the most entertaining. He starts off with a ralts and as do I. I hit him for 20 the first turn, and he draws. He puts me to sleep and I unfortunately dont wake up. I attach an energy to my benched ralts and pass. Still don't wake up -.-. He just attacks me for 20 and passes again. I guess he had a really bad hand, but I evolve into Kirilia and I top deck a double rainbow (even though I could of just retreated and smacked him.) I laid down my 2 pluspowers for emphasis and the game was done. Sorry for the bad draw =/.

5-1

So I finish 5-1 after 6 rounds of swiss and 3rd overall. At this point I felt pretty bad as I knew there was a big chance I'm going to face somebody I came here with. As a result I end up facing Curtis. So onto the hardest and most intense match of the day.

Top 16 vs. Curtis Lyon (Salamance EX/Togekiss)

I've faced this deck so many times during practice and I know how hard it can get if an early kiss gets out and powers fully a sally EX. Luckily I always tech in a crystal shard into my deck to fight resistance and sometimes gain the advantage on weakness (Contrary to popular belief that I just teched it in for the sole purpose to beat this deck =P). I drew an amazing hand, that would get me a turn 2 gardevoir that will be fully powered and a warp point to get my stantler back. As a result I psychic locked him before he could use his claydol or any kisses. I thought I had this match in the bag. I knew he had to manually power up his Sally EX on the bench and by that time I will have at least taken 2 prizes. Also in my hand I had my crystal shard, plus 2 PlusPowers and a fully powered gallade ready to go. He comes out with his sally EX and 150's my gardevoir and I put up my gallade. I place another ralts down and try to rebuild another gardevoir. I KO his salamance EX with my shard and 1 pluspower and flipping over one prize (160 with a DRE on my gallade). I took 2 prizes. Just 2 more to go. His next turn was what turned the game around. He rare candied into a kiss got 8 energies, powered up a kiss, a bagon, and half another kiss. Then he did 70 to me. Next turn he rare candied into a sally EX and hit my gallade for 150. I was in trouble. He saw me set up another Gallade and I had a gardevoir on my bench ( this was after sacking away a dusknoir and a couple of stantlers.) He saw through my plan of sonic blading his sally and bringing it down so he brought out his togekiss and started attacking with it. I had no choice but to bring out my gallade and sonic blade it. He switched into his Sally EX and did 150 to me. It' was 2 prizes to 2 prizes now. I brought up my gardevoir with 2 energies on it and I knew there was only one way to win this game. I evolved into a Gardevoir Lv. X, played a ralts and rare candied into another gardevoir. I added an energy onto gardevoir and used his rowans for a new hand (Sally only plays celio's and rowans as supporters as a counter to GG). I proceeded to bring down one of the kisses and drew a prize. He brought up a pachy, skitty rare candied into a delcatty EX and upstreamed me for the KO. He had exactly 13 energies in his discard to do it too. I sent up my last and only gardevoir, attached a multi to it, evolved it into my second gardevoir lv. x and I brought down one of his pokemon for my last prize. Good game man. Couldn't of asked for a better match.

6-1

Top 8 vs. Kant Shen (PLOX)

He's like the rival trainer you face in the game. This guy's been a good friend and an extremely hard opponent to beat. We both set up, but he filled his bench up even though I thought he remembered I played Dusknoir as my tech in my deck. This unfortunately cost him the match as I won the wager and rare candied into a gardevoir and dusknoir. I locked him down and sent his gardevoir back into his hand. He tried to recover, but I kept telepassing his wager to keep him randomized. I got 2 Gardys and a Gallade set up and he was too far behind to recover. I drew into a double rainbow, played my pluspower and wagered and won to draw into my last pluspower to knock out his gallade in one hit for the final blow. Im sorry it had to be this way, but we both knew that one of us had to come out on top. Like always, your skills to comeback and fight to the end ceases to amaze me. Great match.

7-1

Top 4 vs. Zach Lesage

I've had pretty successful results facing against Zach, but of course I knew he was also one of the top ranked players in Canada. In match one I made the same mistake of bringing out my gardevoir too early to lock him when I clearly knew the turn before he keen eyed for 2 cards. He anticipated me bringing up the gardy and was prepared with a candy gallade scramble on me. I fell too far behind and I scooped because I knew I had no time to waste if I was to catch up and win 2 matches.

Second match I was a little bit annoyed at myself for misplaying the first match and I lost a little bit of my composure as I was pressed for time to make something happen. As a result for the first time, I adverted from my game plan of getting gardy first and went for a lone T3 gallade. I took 3 prizes before he got set up and sent up his own gallade to KO mine. By this time I got a gardevoir set up and I knew what I had to do. I played the lake boundary and added a pluspower and I copied his wager. Every turn from then on I telepassed his wager to stop him from getting back into it with keen eye. He didn't understand why I would wager him again after he only had 3 cards in his hand. In short, I needed to keep you randomized and I can't let as good of a player as you plan out what you have in your hand and plan for your next 3 moves with it. He scooped in game 2.

I knew time was against me, and Zach took the early lead with an early Gallade. I drew into a lake boundary and knew what I had to do. I locked him and KOed his gallade with a pluspower. By this point , though, Zach had a commanding 5-2 prize lead over me. Time was running out and again I knew I had to play catch up. I literally made 10 second moves as all my moves were attach an energy, telepass your wager, lock/psychic cut for the KO. With 5 minutes left, I finally caught up with both of us having 2 prizes left. He had an active Furrett and a benched gardevoir. Time was called as he attached an energy on his benched furret and we were into sudden death. At this point he knew his furrett was the next one goiing down as there was no way for him to retreat it. He scooped and the game was mine. Good game Zach.

7-1

Top 2 vs. Kevin Lee (PLOX)

I've been here before. I had to change the result though. First match I went back to my plan by setting up a Gardy first and then a gallade. We both knew that the other played dusknoir so keeping a bench of 3 was crucial. My 2nd Kirilia was prized so for a good 6 turns all that happened was him smash shorting me, and me leading to find no more supporters. haha. I had about 15 cards in my hand with no candy, so he decided to wager me. I was relieved. I won the wager and found 3 candies in my hand (go figure). I got set up and I decided to attack first. I evolved into a Gardevoir Lv. X and warp pointed out to KO a ralts. He brought up his Gallade and flipped over a lot of prizes to KO my gallade. I brought out my gardevoir, laid the lake boundary and plus power and KOed his gallade. He locked me for 120, and it was too late, as I laid another pluspower and KOed his gardy lv. x. He scooped and we started round 2.

The same thing happened, both of us got set up, but he attacked first this time. He warped out my stnatler and I brought out my dusknoir. He locked me for 50 for 2 turns (100), as he filled his bench since I couldn't use my noir's power and had no way to retreat him. I top decked a warp point, and I locked him back. It went back and forth from there until I had 2 prizes left and he had 4. On my turn I psychic locked him for 90 on his gardevoir. I had 2 stantlers and a ralts on my bench. I was out of pokemon and I knew I was in trouble. He evolved into a gardevoir lv. x. and locks me for the KO. I bring up a stantler and I'm forced to pass as I had only 3 cards in my hand. He maintainanced his ralts back and started setting up another one on his bench. He attaches an energy onto it and just then time is called. Kevin is forced to KO oneof my pokmeon to force sudden death and the only one that can KO me is his gardevoir lv. x. He locks on my stantler who had 60 on him already and it's my turn. I bring up my ralts, lay down an energy and add a pluspower beside it. I smacked him for 40 to KO his lv. X and take my prize. Very good game Kevin.

Okay... sorry for writing so much... again trying to be as detailed as I can remember. Before I end this, I just want to say thanks to Paul and his family for the support and cards that he supplied, Geneses for his generosity of letting me stay at his place, Team L for making it so far and performing so well, Sean for his near perfect swiss rounds in every tournament, the gang for all the good times and jokes, and lastly the judges for all their hard work. I"ll post my decklist in the following post.

and for Curtis ... [turtwig boyyssss, it's all about the turtwig]

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Dark Lock

Pokemon: 19
4 Ralts (SW)
2 Kirilia (SW)
2 Gardevoir (SW)
2 Gardevoir Lv. X (SW)
2 Gallade (SW)
4 Stantler (SW)
1 Duskull (MT)
1 Dusclops (PK)
1 Dusknoir (DP)

Trainers: 25
4 Celio's Network
2 Roseanne's Research
4 Rare Candy
2 Professor Oak's Visit
1 Steven's Advice
2 Night Maint.
1 Crystal Shard
1 Castaway
2 Warp Point
4 PlusPower
2 Lake Boundary

Energy:
3 Double Rainbow
2 Scramble
3 Multi
8 Psychic

Last edited:
Great job Matt. Sorry we didn't get a chance to play. I just couldn't break out of the win one lose one rhythm.

KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO
Congrats man! After both of your 2nd @ Provincials & Reigonals last year, and 3rd @ provincials this year you deserved this one.
A couple things...
You told me halfway through saturday that you wished you had played Banette, you still think that? haha
I didn't know there was a Grade/lade line and stantler in GE:tongue:
Also... Wanna buy my plane ticket to Vancouver?:lol:

Great job Matt. Sorry we didn't get a chance to play. I just couldn't break out of the win one lose one rhythm.

You only got into that rhythm because you got cursed that match where you had Kevin and I on each side of you :lol:

What can I say? Great job Matt! You deserved this victory. You have been a huge influence on my deck building skills and I enjoy play testing with you as often as possible, Monday night, Sunday afternoon and any time in between. Now, on to the Battle Roads. :thumb:

KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO

BOYS!!!

I thought i was suppose to write this for you?

anyways what a LOOOONNNG weekend... but wouldn't change any part of it! but you forgot one of the most important members of team Lucario ... JEREMY. hahaha too man jokes especially right after at MickyDs with the free food, when my car's tire got flat at untouchables and the insane one ways in Hamilton (you really gotta get out of that city)

Me and Bidier are already making plans and arrangements, hopefully they all get through as planned and they'll be about 20 people in your room... hope we can all fit =S

Anyways most importantly, CONGRATS!

BOYS!!!!! (i'll make sure to remind all of them that you made a thread so we can all spam it!)

KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO
remember, after exams, practice till we DIE!!!

FINALLY!! ive been looking for this in all of
international business class all day lol ..

BOYS ...!!!

KOO
KOO
KOO
KOO
KOO
KOO
KOO
KOO

BOYS !!

hahaha international business.. what a class. =P. But yes, Battleroads are next and after exams. That's mostly what I'll be doing haha. No problem Terry.. there will be many more chances at league =P.

good job man
if anyone deserved to win a big event, it was you since you've always been cool and came close so many times haha

see you in vancouver

this guy gave me like the best shout out of the year!
BOYS!
you got the streets on lock
Glad i gave you the best match,
remember were videotaping the match we had and posting it on youtube for 1002192 views

boys
KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO!

CURTIS WHAT A AVATAR!!!! oh man!!! what is that!!! hahaha

KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO KOO

reppin' all the BOY!!!

Turtwig FTW!

Yeah, I actually lobbied for best of 3 for all the top cuts, but was vetoed. I would have been happy for even best of 3 in top 8. Apparently the reasoning was that the big prizes were for the top 4, so that's what you got. My reasoning is that under normal circumstances, best of 3 doesn't add that much onto an event that already runs late - in most cases (on average) it only adds about 20 minutes per round. Since there was no time limit on the room, it only made sense ..... but since I wasn't the head judge on this one .....

Regardless though, I think the tournament ran really smoothly and that the judges did a great job controlling the environment for good and fair game play. The thing about tournaments of this magnitude is that you can't give everybody their perfect tournament and that's where usually the judges get blamed. So all in all, it's an accomplishment in itself to keep the tournament running with little or no disturbances and yes there will always be losers and winners but more importantly the excitement of playing the game isn't lost. Or at least I think so anyways =P. So thank you and I'll see you all at Battle Roads maybe?

Page one of Ontario rankings

1 1817.96 Matthew Koo
2 1801.92 Sean Robinson
3 1789.31 Kevin Lee
4 1777.21 zach lesage
5 1741.65 Sebastian Swierad
6 1739.49 Kant S
7 1733.05 Bryan Cresswell
8 1684.06 Geneses Pabuna
9 1668.97 Paul
10 1665.58 Bj A

WHO'S A BOY!!!