Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

'tis the Guru's DS Prerelease Report! (Completed!)

pokeguru

Greetings once again, y'all, and welcome to yet another report from the guru's tournaments, this one from the 2 Prereleases in Falkirk this weekend.

Saturday:

It was a cold and windy morning...a little wet too. I arrived at Edinburgh Waverley around 10am and met with Fred (aka lev), who I found out to be not only a good player, but generally a good guy. :thumb: After purchasing the train tickets, we took a look around, then tried to get on the train, passing the automated ticket barriers...unfortunately at that point I realised that we were on the wrong platform...ours was before these ticket barriers. :biggrin: Still, we got to the train on time, and we played on the train on the way there. I played my mystery deck of doom, secretly hidden in my sig :wink: , and Fred played with my Scizor deck (he's still looking to get an English deck of his own). I won three games on the train there before we had to get off...as I accidentally bump my backpack into an old lady. Whoops!

Arriving at Megazone, we see the regulars there and I introduce lev and we get our boosters around 11.30am. I open them and manage to get Mewtwo and Salamence...but no Metals or Shelgon...so I go with a Slowking/Ditto/Weezing combo with mentor and farmer.

Prerelease 1
My first round was against Fred...ouch. he just bombarded me and I couldn't attack thanks to my lack of energy...so he won.

My 2nd round against Paul C. ...this was a good game. We battled for ages, and I can't exactly remember how it ended! Curse my terrible short term memory! I did win, however, so that's 1-1 so far.

My 3rd round was against Alison...er...I'm gonna move swiftly on from here...long story short, she powered up her Dragonair and kept bombarding my Pokemon, by the end she had 1 prize left and all of my pokemon would get knocked out by her next attack whether I liked it or not. GG. 1-2

4th round was against Emma, Paul's daughter. I keep bombarding her with attacks from Weezing and eventually it comes down to time. It's 2-2 on prizes and I knock out one of her Pokemon to take the game.

2-2

so I can't remember exactly what ranking I came in, but Alison came 2nd and Fred won! So we all get our 4 boosters, pin (sorry traders, looks like there's only one type this time, black!), promos and, in Fred's case, his special winners pin and papery poster. w00t! Personally, I think it would've been better being like the older types where it was a huge poster...the one I got for Unseen Forces was longer than me!

Back to Edinburgh
So we take the train back to Edinburgh where I once again beat Fred...that improves my confidence a little, plus we find these fun little BK vouchers to get free bacon Double Cheeseburgers, etc. so not a day wasted! Fred then runs to BK to get his meal of champions when we get out whilst I walk home. So that was fun!

Sunday:

Copy and paste line 1 of the last report here, only add a bit more wet and an hour earlier. We DON'T get on the wrong platform this time and we play three games. I win one, and he wins two, the 3rd game being sudden death one prize, and I had a lone big EX start.

Modified Tournament
We get to Falkirk for 10am to take part in our warm-up tournament, where we can win our special tournament tokens to exchange with the TO for boosters, rare cards, playable cards, etc. I play my eevee-lution deck.

Game 1 was against Ross, where it was really tense with my lone EX start. We battle for a bit until he gets out Deoxys ex Defense and it gets to 2 prizes each, and he basically blocks my attack. I send out Espeon for a turn and do 30 to his benched spoink. Then I send out high HP EXs to basically withstand some of his attacks. Time is called, I retreat for Espy again and KO the benched Spoink for the game. GG.

Game 2 was vs. Owen, where he played his Meganium ex deck. He couldn't get out any energy, and I knocked out his 2nd pokemon with flareon for the game.

2-0

game 3 was against Calum, playing a rogue celebi ex POP2/ dark golduck deck. I eventually KOed the duck before it came to the Celebi ex. I hit him with Vappy for 60 and sleep, he fails to wake up, next turn demolish him with Ho-Oh for the game.

3-0

Game 4 was against Paul C, who played a dark T-tar/Dragonite/electrode deck, but he couldn't get out any energy, plus he made several errors in play which I had to correct him on (i.e. Tyranitar ex doesn't evolve from dark pupitar, R energy = 2 darkness only, etc). Eventually, I dropped down a BF and starting to take contol, eventually knocking out his Dark T-tar for the game.

4-0

So I win the modified tournament, and earn two tokens. Fred came 2nd, and Paul came 3rd and they got themselves a token each as well, so that was good.

Prerelease
Opening my boosters, I was a little annoyed...I would have played Sandslash, or Metagross...had I got any Sandshrew or Metang in my remaining boosters...I didn't, therefore I didn't play them. I played a Castform/Ditto/Azumarril deck, with 1-1 Hypno and a couple of others...but can't remember. As yesterday, I didn't get any metal energy...again. I learn that Fred got himself a Vaporeon ex, Owen got a Jolteon ex (to add to his Kyogre* he got the day before...which he THEN sold for £5 to the TO after the prerelease :mad: He's just that desperate! :biggrin: ), so that's a little unnerving before it starts. Pairings get put up...I'm up against Owen in Round 1...DAGNABIT!!!

Round One vs. Owen

Owen has a lone Skarmory start, so I can't attack him. I spend my next couple of turns building up my bench. When he drops down an Eevee, I get nervous, but use Castform's Holon Draw. Eventually, he sends out Jolteon. From there, he takes control and wins by taking all of his prizes.

0-1

Round Two vs. Conan

We both get Ditto starts, I have 2, he has one. He starts to build up his Ditto and I start to attack before he does. He benches another Ditto and attempts to look for my weakness. Turns out it's in his prizes...from there, I start to beat him down and take 2 prizes to win as he has no more in play.

1-1

Round Three vs. Ross

He gets out Dragonite early and beats me to oblivion. GG.

1-2

Round Four vs. Fred?!? Not again...

We both start with Castform and start drawing to get powered up. I start to knock out a couple of his, he knocks out a couple of mine. He gets close to the bottom of his deck before he gets his Vaporeon ex. After a couple of attacks from my Azumarril for 50 each time, I assume he got nervous and attempted to fight back with a different Pokemon. When time is called, he can't knock out any of my Pokemon, we're 2-2 on prizes and he has no cards left in his deck. When it gets back to my turn, I've won if I pass it on to him, or if I knock out his Active. I knock out his Active and that's game. GG.

2-2

We hear the rankings, and our TO says there's a tie for 3rd place, but moves on to announcing that 2nd was Ross and 1st was Owen, so GJ to them. Turns out the tie (with exactly the same tiebreakers) was between me and Fred. :eek: The only real difference is the poster, so Fred lets me have it as he already got one the day before. Thanks, Fred!

Back to Edinburgh
We decide to grab a burger at BK so we can use our 2 for 1 on Bacon Double Cheeseburgers vouchers we'd got the day before (the meal of champions!), so afterwards, we leg it to the train station and there's a train going to Edinburgh there...so naturally we take it. When it becomes apparent that it's only stopping at one of the 3 Edinburgh stops, we get off there and make our way onto Princes Street, where the other train station is. We then split up, and I grabbed the bus home.

So my props and slops...

Props to...
-our TO who was funny and great at judging throughout the weekend.
-all the players in both prereleases.
-the winners of the prereleases.
-Fred
-Azumarril
-Burger King

Slops to...
-That last train back
-Weird tiebreakers
-The people who didn't go to the Saturday prerelease...shame.... :nonono: :tongue:
-Dragonite
-Jolteon ex
-Scottish weather...that walk back to Princes Street from the station was horrendous... :nonono:
-Elastic bands...don't ask.

And anything else...yeah.
~PokeGuru

Last edited:
Very nice, and well done for the modified tournament (though the way you won your first game wasn't really fair... :biggrin:)!

I came 2nd hey! Paul was 3rd :tongue:

[EDIT]

That game was really... intense... I mean I drew way too many cards with my Castform... :biggrin: But that was a really cool game... And thanks Burger King we had ... "the meal of the champions"... *cough* Whan I came to Scotland, I knew I'll lost something... Where is the French cuisine?! :biggrin:

Last edited:
French cuisine...? Eh?!? Cannae say I e'r see tha' 'afore! [/scots accent]
And I know how you felt with Castform, I only had 3 cards in my deck by the end of it!

Back