Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 128 Canadian Nats

Throne0fLegends

So after a long week of just testing and helping the team build decks etc. I decided that I"ll just go with whichever deck Curtis uses and so I play GG with healers and queen. When we arrive at the Convention Center, I scramble around looking for a cards for other people, translations, etc. and when I finally get that all done I find that one of my sleeves are ripped so I go back out there looking for new sleeves lol. Luckily the person I always go to always has an extra mint condition set of sleeves for me ( Thanks Paul =P). Anyways onto the day itself.

Round 1: Vs. Steven C. (Raichu/Bronzong)

I met Steven at my very first cities where he top 4ed against my friend and so it was a pleasure to see him return to the game. As my luck goes, I start off with Unown G with nothing but a Bebe's in my hand. I go first and I draw into an Unown Q (yay!) so I bench that and pass. He starts off bronzor, baltoy, and pikachu on bench, roseannes for an uxie and azelf, time walks for the claydol, attaches to pikachu and passes. I draw for my turn and I hit.... an energy. With no other move I just bebe's for the Uxie and hope for the best. I Uxie for 4 and get the ralts rare candy gardevoir and DCE. I got real lucky there, but from that point on I set up a queen, 2 gardevoirs, and let loose with the giratina. The next turn he draw passes and on mine I attach and start psychic locking for 6 prizes. He expresses his dislike for psychic lock and signs the slip =P Good game Steven

Round 2: Vs. Jason L. (Cursegar)

Jason's a good player and even though he just started this year, he's up there with the rest of the good players in Canada. I know this is one of my hardest matchups so I had to not make any mistakes. I have a terrible start again with just one tomb and nothing else. I go first, draw... into another tomb YES! I bench it and passed. He started wtih gastly and baltoy, draws into the spirtomb, benches it attaches warp energy to bring the tomb up, roseanne's for a gastly and an energy and darkness graces into a haunter.... great. I luckily top deck into the call energy and call for two basics. At this point I knew that I only had one more turn before his massive gengar is going to come out and start hitting me and I still haven't got my set up yet. Next turn he does get his gengar comes out and KO's my tomb while getting out his claydol as well. I send up another tomb, attach psychic onto Ralts, evolve into claydol and start setting up. I end my turn with a time walk and I'm ready for the next turn. As predicted he KO's the tomb and sends up his own again. This was the turn I've been waiting for... I promote my gardevoir (darkness graced the last couple of turns to it) and leveled it up, Teleported out to my azelf, telepassed his bebe's and Azelf X onto the Azelf. I then retreated with moonlight brought back up the Gardy attached the DCE and psychic locked. I couldn't get my Queen set up since I was trainer locked so I could only hope to KO all the tombs b4 my gardevoir got Koed. He came up and did 60 and placed down another tomb to my disappointment. I was pretty happy he didn't have the expert belt though so I couldn't complain really. I started charing another ralts up and Locked him again. He drew for his turn and dropped ANOTHEr tomb down... at this point I was going to see both my gardevoirs get KOed in 2 turns if he can pull off the Gengar Lv. X and compound pain me. Oh well nothing I can do. He hits me for 60 again putting my Gardy Lv. X to 120 so I switch out and bring out the other Gardy and lock the 3rd tomb away. He draws for his turn into the belt and puts down ANOTHER tomb... man he had all of them in his hand. I couldn't believe it. so he attaches the belt and does 80 to my gardevoir. I draw and I attach a psychic onto my nidoran with the Rare candy Queen ready next turn knowing that both my gardy's are gonna get compound pained if he had that Gengar Lv X. He draws and gets the bebe's search he needs and grabs the Level X and compound pains me for 2 prizes. I have no choice but to promote queen and hope for the best. The prizes are 2 - 2 at this point and Im at a huge disadvantage. I do some calculations and see that even with the belt he can only do 120 to my nidoqueen (after weakness, a curse, and a level down to my Azelf). so I hit him for 60 with a mega punch while attaching a DCE onto my benched ralts. Surprisingly he didnt level me down (YES) and instead got out the fainting spell Gengar and just hit me for 60 while switching into his fainting spell. At this point, I knew I had to bring back the lock.. I coudln't risk having him forget to level me down 2 turns in a row. I rare candy into my last gardevoir and I lock him for 80 on his fainting spell and judged his hand away earlier. I was hoping to draw into no supporters or trainers to avoid the poltergeist.. but I drew into FOUR trainers... if he poltergiested me I would have definitely lost. He draws and thinks for a bit, and just hits shadow rooms my claydol for a prize. I coudln't risk the fainting spell on my turn since it was 1-2 prizes in his favour so I warped him out and he gave me an uxie or something small to psychic lock. It's now 1-1 in prizes and he draws. He thinks for quite a bit and decides on hitting me for 80 with his cursegar and leaving it up there knowing that I'll be 20 short in KOing it. At this point I had no more psychic energies and no more attackers that could take a hit so I palmers' for my energies back, telepassed his roseanne's and attached onto my azelf and Deep Balanced his Gengar SF on the bench for game. Nice game Jason and good job going 6-1 on the day.

At this point I'm feeling pretty good about the deck and my matchups so I was ready for my next round.

Round 3: Vs. Kevin C. (Garchomp SV)
This game became real ugly real fast. After Gallading his premature Garchomp SV Koing my Spirtomb, he top decks into not only 2 uxies, but 2 uxies with expert belts doing psychic restore for 70 twice KOing my gallade. The game came down to him having 1 prize left and me 4. He was pretty confident at this point but I wasn't out of moves yet. On the board I had 4 energies on my gardevoir that just got hit by a speed impact and me blowign all my healers already. Right when I'm about to make my move, the judge calls time. I realize that there's no way I could take 3 prizes so I scoop and admit defeat. I was about to sign the sheet when they called and said that there was actually 3.5 minutes left in the round. I didn't sign and waited for a judge to come by to tell him the situation. My opponent told me I couldn't win anyways, and I told him that I had the lucian's to the nidoqueen to KO his Garchomp for 2 prizes and the following turn the bring down on the 2nd garchomp for 2 more prizes to win the game. He was silent after that and just waited. The judge came over and said there was nothing they can do and I had to take a loss. My day was over as I didn't want to risk the ranking's invite and I wasn't at all happy with what had just happened. I dropped and that was that. I'm pretty sure I finished in the top 128 though =P

Staying on the sidelines for the next 8+ hours I just gave advice to my friends on how to beat their bad matchups like Curtis on Cursegar and Adam on Luxchomp haha. I watched the Seniors and Juniors and even saw Justin, a junior that I help, win nationals. And with Curtis, Adam, 8 other of my friends coming in top 32, Reed going 7-0 in swiss and being able to watch his match against David Jon, being able to laugh and chill with the Montreal players, and watching the great performances of the juniors and seniors that come to me for help -- the day was shaping up to be pretty good. I understood that people make mistakes and throughout the year the judges made very little to none of them and I just so happened to be caught in this one. Nothing can really be done and nobody is really to blame. In actuality I blamed myself for not playing the matchup correctly and being behind in prizes all game long.

To be honest I think a lot of this game and what keeps people playing aren't the prizes or the trophies or the money (although I do think that those things are a big part =P) but the friends and community that comes along with it. And with that I think that sometimes we just don't give enough credit to where credit is due... so here it goes =P:

Reed you're not only a great deck builder but a top player as well. It's no coincidence that you finished as the 1st and 2nd seed at both regionals and nationals.

Paul, Terry, Jenn, and the rest of the judges you guys did an amazing job this year running the tournaments, building up the communities at your leagues, and showing the patience and tolerance that are attributed to people with great character.

Robin, thanks for always makign our matches enjoyable and hilarious with your great sense of humour.

Kevin L. you're a good guy and if it wasn't for you helping me with a lot of the missing cards on tournament day I wouldn't know what to do so Thank you

And I know there are many more, but those are just a few people I would like to point out as making this run an amazing one. Lastly though, it's to Curtis, Geneses, Bidier, and I guess Juan (lol j/k). You guys were there from the beginning and it's always been a blast laughing and just joking (hardly playtesting) with all of you. I'm pretty convinced that there are no other ways to decide on a deck than at 6 am in the morning and flipping a coin lol.

If you got to the end of this rant, thanks for reading and as always it was a pleasure =D What would top it all off though, is if Geneses could play GG at a tournament at least once =) haha good luck to those going to Hawaii =)

technically since you dropped, you weren't part of the 128 ;) maybe next year you will get within the top 128 of us

overall though you had yet another monster season, your ranking invite is almost guarenteed and once wuan pays for our ticket we will take worlds by storm. congratulations.

"I decided that I"ll just go with whichever deck Curtis uses" ...whats new

p.s hawaii , might be too hot for your "lucky" sweater, leave it at home or with bin

technically since you dropped, you weren't part of the 128 ;) maybe next year you will get within the top 128 of us

overall though you had yet another monster season, your ranking invite is almost guarenteed and once wuan pays for our ticket we will take worlds by storm. congratulations.

"I decided that I"ll just go with whichever deck Curtis uses" ...whats new

p.s hawaii , might be too hot for your "lucky" sweater, leave it at home or with bin

i agree with all of the above ;) looks like you are good to go :p

24 Matthew Koo master Ontario, Canada 1877.86

*** i'll add something later, your GF want to use my computer to watch TV :(

Thanks Matt. That means a lot coming from you - it's too bad that the time issue affected you, but at least you're in for Hawaii. I'm sure between you and Curtis, at least one of you (if not both) can make it far in top cut. If you want obscure techs for your Worlds deck, you know who to come to :)

...being able to laugh and chill with the Montreal players...

As always, it's a real pleasure to talk and chill with you Matt!

To be honest I think a lot of this game and what keeps people playing aren't the prizes or the trophies or the money (although I do think that those things are a big part =P) but the friends and community that comes along with it. And with that I think that sometimes we just don't give enough credit to where credit is due...

I completely agree here! It was the second National for us in Montreal, and we had a blast this year! The community is what keeps us playing and we realized it during the weekend. It's probably the most friendly and enjoyable community I had the chance to meet in all the card games I played. Congrats to all players for making this game really enjoyable! :thumb:

I understood that people make mistakes and throughout the year the judges made very little to none of them and I just so happened to be caught in this one. Nothing can really be done and nobody is really to blame.

I wasn't at your Nationals, but I want to express how impressed I was when I read this. You've got to have serious class to take that kind of mistake in stride. I'm glad your Worlds invite remained safe.

Best of luck in Hawaii.

****** brah, crappy way to bow out of a tournament. nice meeting you and your crew in toronto, hopefully u come to worlds =)

I love how there's more text in this 3 match report then there are in other people's full reports.
Congrats on the invite Koo! Good luck at worlds!

First of all, I want to echo all of the comments here about Matt and the other players in Canada. It was great to see Quebec, Ontario, BC and Alberta having so much fun together. I love being a judge, but I did spend the last few days before Nats wishing I was playing!

As far as the time issue in Round 3, I will give a quick overview of the situation from my position as Masters Head Judge. When the round started, I was sitting beside Mike in front of the computer. I walked up to the microphone, looked at Mike, and announced that Round 3 was starting. When the round finished, I was again sitting beside Mike, we watched the clock hit 0:00, Jen was standing at the microphone, we told her time was up and she announced it. I walked off the podium and out amongst the players to look for tie games, when Greg C yelled that his watch said 5 minutes left. A judge also said his watch had under 5 minutes left. While I was out on the floor processing this info, somebody announced that there were 3.5 minutes left to finsih the round. Confusion ensued, the round ended and then I heard that a couple of games had scooped at the first announcement. Nothing we could do at this point. My decision, as Masters Head Judge, then and now, is that the round ended when the clock on the computer said 0:00, and we announced it.

My props would be Marvin (PTO), judges Jen, Mike, Terry, Nicole and Geoffrey C (a star), and then all of the players who I consider to be very good friends (Matt, Geneses, Curtis, and Juan) and many others (too numerous to list here).

For those going to Worlds, I will be with you in spirit, and I look forward to seeing everybody at the Fall Battle Roads.

Congrats Matt on an outstanding season. 2 Rankings invites in 3 years is a pretty impressive achievement. But not nearly the achievement you have made in enhancing the game, by attracting a group of players which are an integral part of the local and National Pokemon Communities.

All I can on the Time Call, is that Paul's explanation is bang on with my recollection of the event. The Head Judge in Master's made the call of Time was Expired, and then even though my Watch and the Clock on the Computer were in agreement in the round end time this was reversed on stage without consultation with the HJ who made the orginal call. I completely understand why this would be extremely frustrating for players, and I highly commend you with the grace and class you handled this.

I look forward to the time leading up to World's and the event itself. I'm sure you'll see some PMs from me asking for your help as I tool up the Ugly Crew for our first full family trip to Worlds. BTW -- Quinn passes on his Congrats as well to "the best pokemon player [he] knows".

I dropped and that was that. I'm pretty sure I finished in the top 128 though =P

And I know there are many more, but those are just a few people I would like to point out as making this run an amazing one. Lastly though, it's to Curtis, Geneses, Bidier, and I guess Juan (lol j/k). You guys were there from the beginning and it's always been a blast laughing and just joking (hardly playtesting) with all of you. I'm pretty convinced that there are no other ways to decide on a deck than at 6 am in the morning and flipping a coin lol.

If you got to the end of this rant, thanks for reading and as always it was a pleasure =D What would top it all off though, is if Geneses could play GG at a tournament at least once =) haha good luck to those going to Hawaii =)

I can ALWAYS count on you for a boring read...:wink: but it's better that we count on you rather than we COUNT on Juan:lol:. I SWEAR you play 3 rounds and your report is longer than everyone's combined.

The funny thing is, me and Curtis was joking around at his place saying ":lol: what if someone writes a 'I MADE TOP 64!!!' report :lol:". We were laughing thinking of all the funny possibilities for someone writing a top 64 report... and long and behold you write a top 128 report (which by the way you don't count for), we :lol: at you a lot.

I swear to myself I told myself I was going to trust Koo for nationals and once I wasn't allowed into Untouchables, I was more than confident that I was gonna play GG, I'm so happy I slept over at Juniors because if I did play at Curtis the night before, Junior and I would've been miserable the day and we both wouldn't have been annoying with our optimism and swagger (which confused everyone and doubling everyone's attack stat. allowing more than 7 of us to top 32 too bad you're the only one that flipped tails).

Hope you do well at Worlds, think time you don't have me to screw you up and I can't tweak your deck without you knowing.

P.S. I left you feedback, it shows what I feel about you :wink:

Back