Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 16 at Great Lakes Regionals! (10th overall)

Naki Feralkin

After my absolutely terrible states showing (starting 4-1 only to end it all 4-3), and only breaking 4-2 without cut at VA, I decided I was going to go into Regionals with a vengeance, and I certainly bust out my A game for this event. I played Legos for states, but didn't have enough confidence to stick to a deck I was uncertain of. Expecting a heavy Machamp metagame and extremely confident in my ability to beat SP decks with it, I went with a Speedgar build. Everyone knocks its late game, but I was capable of multiple comebacks in this tournament and did relatively well.

This event took place at the very beautiful Potawatomi Inn in the Pokagon State Park in Angola Indiana. This place was a very superb venue for this event and I certainly hope the organizers of this event consider this place again in future years.

Onto the report:

Round 1 Vs. Bob ? (Forgot the last name.) - Mishmash

I give the gentleman credit as this was only his second event in this game and he was trying to learn quite a bit from the game. He brought his son along with him and I think they just wanted to get into it. He made a number of errors and I was thankful that this was my first round, as I had a terrible hand that didn't let me set my Gengar up until two turns later. He made a couple of mistakes during the game but I let him take them back as he was still learning the game and I didn't want to make him feel really bad on his first game (I know how it is going to a new tournament and getting your teeth kicked in by someone way better than you. Its not a pleasant experience.), I end up getting a perfect set up and had 3 Gengar's ready to go by games end.

1-0

Round 2 Vs. ??? (I really forgot your name, sorry.. X.X) - Skuntank/Machamp?

I didn't really get to see his list at all. He started with a lone Stunky and I had Gastly opener. I go first, lay a Crobat G to flash bites his active and drop call to set up quickly. He drops an energy and swings at me for 30 damage after using a Buck's Training. I then respond by dumping a massive setup of a cleaned up uxie (7 card set up), dropped Claydol down, psychic, candied to Gengar, poketurned one crobat, and dropped a second. Shadow Room for KO, GG.

I beat him a second time for fun in only one turn with my Speed Wrath deck. X.X

2-0

Round 3 Vs. Joel ? (I'm just bad with last names. I'm bringing a notebook with me again...) - SP Deck, Dialga Variant.

Joel is one of the guys who came with Austin Reed to this event so I was expecting a good fight here. He does start off pretty strong by getting Deafen off to slow me down a little bit, but I manage to buy some time in return by dumping a Crobat in front of him while I set up. He whiffs on a lot of draws and is unable to keep a Power Spray down while I manage to draw through him with Uxies and Claydols. He has numerous guys down on his bench that I abused with Shadow Room, in addition to getting Cresselia Level X down against him, unable to stop the constant Full Moon dances to set up knockouts.

3-0

Lunch break time! This place had excellent sandwiches and I also got a Mountain Dew Float to go with it which was delicious. I sat down with Heather and Misplay Mike O'donell and we chill for about an hour between rounds.

Round 4 Vs. Chris F. (Ruiner) - SP Deck Dialga/Palkia variant

Geez Laweez. Can I just get a tournament where I don't get paired versus Chris? I know its inevitable when I'm sitting 3-0, but there were like 11 other people I could have played. X.X

Normally I give him a good fight and just lose in the end, this time I just get stomped on. He gets an early deafen off on me and I try to set up a second Gastly while that one gets owned, he gets rid of that one too and I'm left with nothing, I attempt to use set up, he sprays, I scoop because it was over anyways. Oh well.

3-1.

Round 5 Vs. Michael D. - Magnevire

He gets Mesprit start. I get Crobat G and early Gengar to shadow room for early donk as he has like no good supporters in his hand. We play a second game later and he has a much better game. He still lost, but he took 4 prizes the second time before finally running out of gas.

Round 6 Vs. Justin W. (Absolution) - SP Deck Palkia/Dialga

This matchup was one of the more difficult ones I had on the day. He did manage to hop ahead of me early on, and I seriously thought he had the game on multiple occasions, but I stayed strong and walled smart with Crobats to buy some time to set up during Deafens. He laid down a Snowpoint to set up a Skuntank, which helped me out significantly, letting a Crobat wall for a whole turn. I manage to finally recover one of my Gengar's from the discard pile and get it back in the game. He ends it by taking a risk on Remove Lost, I flip heads on Fainting Spell, come forth and end it by knocking off one of his bench. Very good game!

5-1

At this point, I'm certain I'm in as Fulop is my only loss in swiss. Didn't really mind how the next game panned out, so I had fun with it. Before this matchup, apparently one of the seniors from Ohio made mention to another senior that I'm a huge Dragonite fan and this one (Adler P.) came over to me and gave me a Dragonite FB from Pulse of the Frontier! I placed it right next to my UFO Dragonite plush as a secondary good luck charm. I don't care about the lack of japanese cards next format, a dragonite is a dragonite! :3

Round 7 Vs. Brian D. - Rhyperior

And this only excited me more. Seeing Rhyperior in action. This player was one of the remaining 5-0's before this last round and he finally lost it round 6. I got to play this list and I was incredibly impressed by it!

I did manage to grab a very early lead by getting rid of his draw support (which I think saved me in this game), knocking out quick Claydols and keeping him from blowing through his deck. His first Rhyperior REALLY hurt me by discarding a Night Maintenance, a Haunter, AND a Gengar all at once, efficiently putting me down one Gengar, and forcing me to have to scramble for a second one late game. The only way I managed to get back in this is by finally getting that night maintenance and getting my Gengar back in. I take a prize, but he knocks out my last gengar. Fortunately, I am able to flip heads on fainting spell, tying th game and taking it to Sudden death.

I knew this was gonna be bad for him. A large portion of his engine relies heavily on his power supply, which I could remove much faster than he could a Gengar. Needless to say, I have him done by Turn 2.

6-1

Either way, it was a cut. I managed to avenge my crappy Ohio event by doing exceptional here. I also found out Fulop dropped because he had already taken a beating his last two games (He finished 5-2) and he didn't want to risk his deck falling out on him any more than it had been.

The standings I believe were like so:

AJ S. (Gengar) Vs. Scott F. (SP Deck Trashcan variant)
Tracy K. (SP Deck, didn't catch the variant) Vs. Drew H. (SP Deck, Dialga/Palkia)
Austin R. (Ignatious/Kingdra) Vs. ?? (SP Deck, again, didnt see the variant)
Samantha B. (Dusknoir) Vs. Liz R. (Gechamp?)
Stephen M. (Me/Gengar) Vs. Brandon ? (SP Deck, Dialga/Palkia)
Brian D. (Rhyperior) Vs. Dan R. (SP Deck, I think it was trashcan)
Pamela O. (SP Deck, trashcan) Vs. Eric R. (psycodad/SP Trash can?)
Dustin Z. (Umbreon777/SP Dialga/Blissey) Vs. ??? (I didn't even catch this one...)

Top 16 Vs. Brandon ? (I'm so bad with last names) - SP Deck, Dialga/Palkia

Before this match even begun, I had to run outside to grab the sleeves I use while I'm not in tournaments since my Palkia sleeves had finally seen its wear. Bruce B. (evil psyduck) made mention from across the table that I was gonna lose this match because I took them off, but I really didn't have a choice. I called him an evil santa claus and began resleeving. (Thanks again, btw bruce! The sleeves were great while they lasted!) I didn't have a lot of time to really get a solid shuffle and I sort of blame my really crappy opening hand on this. Guess thats what I get for having to resleeve.

Game 1: My hand is terrabad, his is not. I try to keep pace for a period of time and while I was able to start strong, I ended up whiffing on 2-3 draws after he nukes off Claydol with Palkia G Level X. I scoop to save time.

Game 2: My hand is significantly better, but his is better still. He gains a VERY early lead which was hard for me to keep up with, and I try using my stall tactic by walling with Crobat to fight through deafens. I finally manage to force him to whiff a few turns of draw as I slowly stage a comeback. I get it to the 2-2 prize apiece and have his Palkia where I want him, until time is called and he nukes off a Claydol to pull ahead last minute. EXCELLENT planning on that and great use of the clock (He was not stalling at all, and he patiently waited and played his turns out with exceptional speed) to finish me off. I'm sure I could have forced a much better Sudden Death game, which is why I was trying to pull it off, but he just outplayed me. GG!

6-2

Props:
- Potawatomi Inn for having a really great place to stay and making this regionals a great venue! I'm sorry, amish country just didn't work last year.
- Derek Farber for running a great event. I don't get to see much of him, but I know from the events of his I've been to, he does a great job!
- Gengar for being better than SP to me.
- My girlfriend for making the trip with me, despite the fact that she didn't do well. :(
- Adler P. for giving me a Dragonite I don't have yet!
- Team 330 for continuing our awesomeness! 3 of us cutted! (Krish K. in Juniors also is a part of our team!, as well as AJ S.)
- Awesome food.

Slops:
- Crappy service stations. Man, if I didn't have to pay 6-7 dollars for food normally 3-4 dollars anywhere else... yeesh. And having no Rockstar or Adrenaline rush for energy drinks for the drive back? What the crap.
- Fulop because I just can't beat him! X.X
- The rumor running around that apparently some player in the younger divisions was being taught how to stack his deck the night before the tournament. Man, seriously? I have no problems with people playing to win, but I hate cheaters. Seriously.
- Palkia G for turning on me! X.X

Next up. Spring BR's to test for nationals. I'm not afraid of losing my rating to prep for nats! I'm going for a higher place this year! Look out!

Last edited:
Your getting better and better every tournament, get ready to EXPLODE at Nats!
Congrats.

(edit: I played Blissey, not Palkia)

Great report steve, I'm glad everything went so well, but I do wish I could of gone. hopefully I should be able to complete my deck by spring BR

Wat I tell you bro!? Nice showing! If u haven't heard I had prom on saturday, thus no me. lol Congrats again dude!

Excellent showing!

Our Top16 games were pretty intense especially in Game 2.

I had to plan accordingly and make sure you never were able to get off a Genar flip. But very good job and hope to play you in the future!

Last edited:
^ A lot of people try to prevent the Gengar flip, so I had to learn how to play around that problem, which is why I preferred this deck over others. People can say what they will about Gengar, theres a lot more planning to the deck than people think.

But great game, Brandon! Hope to see you at Nationals!

Hey, it's Brian. Dagley's my last name if you wanted to toss that into your report. My opponent in T16 was Dan Richard.

Thanks for the awesome match by the way, it was great. Congrats on doing as well as you did!

^ Thanks for telling me! Our game was a great one I think, one of the best I had all day. Forcing it to Sudden Death made it a lot more interesting, methinks.

Good game, hope to see you at nats!

Back