Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 16 ranked for invite to Worlds?

it says on the world champions web page that the "Top sixteen ranked players in each age group in the Pokémon Organized Play rankings database as of July 20th, 2004." gets an invite.

does anyone know if it is based on Modified or Overall rankings? because it does make a difference.

I emailed this same question a few weeks ago and got response of

It is based on your OVERAll ranking.

Information received from
Michael Liesik
Organized Play Coordinator
Pokemon USA, Inc.

Last edited:
It's a somewhat precarious balance.

We want to reward people for their ratings without discouraging them from participating in other formats. If someone really enjoys limited play, we don't want them to suffer because they don't play much Modified. At the same time, if someone only plays modified, we don't want them to suffer either for playing thier preferred format.

My personal hope for next year is that we can do both limited and unlimited segments at Worlds, though this year will be straight Modified.

Prof. Dav

Check out News and discussion. It's in there on page 2.

mewsmom said:
I emailed this same question a few weeks ago and got response of

It is based on your OVERAll ranking.

Information received from
Michael Liesik
Organized Play Coordinator
Pokemon USA, Inc.

Nope! Professor Dave came out last week and said it will be based ONLY on Modified ratings.

Ok, so its going to be based on Modified rankings only? I wish they would make it clearer on the POP's Worlds information page.

Last edited:
SteveP said:
Nope! Professor Dave came out last week and said it will be based ONLY on Modified ratings.

He most certainly did not, and he most certainly does not like being misquoted.

What I said was, that I currently am unhappy with the way that the combined rating is being calculated, and that I am LEANING towards basing invites on Modified ratings only, but that this discussion is ongoing here in the office, and that an official announcement will be made when a final decision is reached.

Mike was of the understanding that we would definitely use combined scores, and misspoke when he assured this person that it would be combined.

Thank you to dld4a for going and retrieving the actual quote, since I have not yet said whether or not invites would be based on combined or modified only scores.

Prof. Dav

Professor Dav said:
He most certainly did not, and he most certainly does not like being misquoted.

What I said was, that I currently am unhappy with the way that the combined rating is being calculated, and that I am LEANING towards basing invites on Modified ratings only, but that this discussion is ongoing here in the office, and that an official announcement will be made when a final decision is reached.

Mike was of the understanding that we would definitely use combined scores, and misspoke when he assured this person that it would be combined.

Thank you to dld4a for going and retrieving the actual quote, since I have not yet said whether or not invites would be based on combined or modified only scores.

Prof. Dav

Well thanks for clearing my back. Sorry Mike had misquoted me, I was just passing on what I thought was final information seeing it came from Pokemon USA themselves.

Just when we thought we had it down. Well all that matters is keep your rankings up regardless.

So as of NOW it is still undececeided.
Modified makes more sense, because isn't that going to be the format at Worlds?

Last edited:
mewsmom said:
Modified makes more sense, because isn't that going to be the format at Worlds?

That seems to be what will happen but I don't think that it should be this way.

I would like to see the world champion, the best player in the world, have to earn that title by competing in modified, limited, and unlimited play at Worlds. Go ahead with modified on day one to trim the field, but have the finalists compete in three tournaments and determine the best of the best that way.

Are we going to say that this person is the best in the world, but only for modified?

Pokemon deserves an overall champion, not just a modified champ.

Adv1sor said:

I would like to see the world champion, the best player in the world, have to earn that title by competing in modified, limited, and unlimited play at Worlds. Go ahead with modified on day one to trim the field, but have the finalists compete in three tournaments and determine the best of the best that way.

Are we going to say that this person is the best in the world, but only for modified?

I totally agree with you, I was just making a statement that since Worlds LOOKS to be modified then they would probably use the modified ranking.

Giday

I too totally agree with the 3 formats to decide the true World Champion.

Here is what i'd do to decide the top 16 invites ...

Base it on the ALL ratings, but with this condition ... They MUST have a rating in all 3 catagories ... Limited, Modified & Unlimited.

This would make sure only those that play all formats are inculded & shows they are some of the best overall players.

It would however mean that the current ALL World # 1 ... Te Awhi Woon from New Zealand, would NOT get it as he's only played Unlimited. If he wanted to get the invite, he'd have to search out & play in a Limited & Modified tournament ... do well & hope his rating stayed high enough to still get into the top 16.

Thats an example ... Te awhi is our National Champion & WILL be at Worlds anyway ... but you see the point.

Adv1sor said:

That's true, but overall rankings=meh at the moment

I mean, I'm taking a look at my rankings right now. A fellow from Oklahoma is lower than me in both Modified and Limited, yet he has no unlimited ranking...I have one, and we have the exact same score. By current standards, by merely playing unlimited, I am punishing myself. I'm sure many others have the same problem with the overall rating.

I hope that Jimmer, Dav, and the others come to the conclusion to go with modified this year, but not next year. I agree that the world champion needs to be great at all aspects, not just modified.

If all the major qualifiers for Worlds and Worlds are gonna be all about Modified as they are now then almost every competitive player will focus just on modified. Shouldn't these spots be for the best 16 who just missed out on the other ways to qualify? The best players are only playing modified so I think the top 16 invites should only depend on modified. I haven't seen an Unlimited tournament in a few years except at like Gencon and stuff. I feel the same way as Patriarch kind of too. I'm 24th Modified and only 30th overall for 11-14 because I went 3-3 in a stupid pre-release.

Giday

I strongly disagree that the best players play just modified.

Now this may hurt some feelings or ego's but ... The BEST players play ALL formats & prove they're the best. If someone played a Pre Release & went 3-3, then they've got some work to do to prove they're the best.

Look at Michael Jordan in Basketball ... he was considered the best ever, but when he played Baseball ... just another good, but average player ... nothing special.

The same holds true in Pokemon ... a brilliant Modified player might be an average Limited player & possibly above average, but not brilliant at Unlimited.

Only those that have proven to be good at all 3 formats deserve the invites. If players haven't played a format ... why should those that have be disadvantaged because of it.

Not everyone in the world has the resources available to them like the USA & in some countries, Unlimited is the only format played to keep the game alive.

Thats the case here in New Zealand. We are moving to Modified & will be mainly Modified by August, but will include Unlimited in our tournament program. At the moment, NONE of our players would make top 16 overall, but we dominate the top 10 Unlimited rankings.

Thats our disadvantage when the TOP 16 get announced using my idea. I suspect the 16 named will come from the Modified rankings, simply because there will be less cost involved as most live in the USA.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm all for a world champ being a all-around player, but i think that worlds should be modified and limited. If they did unlimited then everyone who started in like neo 1 would suffer. because not everyone has the advantage of starting in base set or jungle. for instance what if a person playing at worlds has no unlimted cards. then should they lose just because of it. NO

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Not necessarily, Jermy. Realize that most of the unskilled players get overwhelmed by the new cards at prereleases, and even if they do look up the spoilers, they need to keep an eye out for what's good and what's bad.

I got the worst draft of a lifetime at the Sandstorm prerelease, and I won it with no sweat off my back.

Venusaur said:
I disagree with the prerelease format counting for something because it takes little skill to play. You get bad cards or you get good cards.
Exactly. Draft is a little better but your still at the mercy of the packs.
I have to disagree MP Juggie. I know you may have a unique situation in New Zealand but atleast in America for the last 3 years every major competition has been modified. WOTC and Nintendo have paved the path for Modified to be the only format for the highest competitions. If they thought that the best players should be those that can play all 3 well then why is every qualifier, CC, SC, SBZ and everything else been modified? It has been set that Modified is the highest tournament format. Mostly because unlimted doesn't change much or promote the new cards and limited requires a lot of luck. Most of us have been encouraged for years to play Modified for the high competitions. I know for US players ( and I assume MOST other countries) there are way way WAY more modified tournaments than others. I atleast look at the other 2 formats as strictly fun formats. If they use all formats for invites then they're discouraging people from Limited and unlimted IMO because it could lower your sparkling modified rating from playing all those competitive modified tourneys. You can argue that using all formats encourages the other 2 formats but that doesn't make sense to me when EVERY major competition is modified.
If Worlds and most other high competitions were of the 3 formats I would completely agree with you Juggie.

Last edited:
Back