Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 2 Great Lake's Regionals with Yanmega/Lanturn/Zekrom in Seniors!

Chalupa116

Hey everybody! My name’s Harrison Dye and I took Yanmega/Lanturn/Zekrom to the Great Lakes Regionals! Anyways, here’s the report.
So I get there and write up my deck list, looking for my friend Andrew Estrada, but couldn’t see him. Shortly after I’m registered, we begin.
Round 1: ??? playing TyRam
So we both have awful starts, we draw and pass until I’m able to get a Lanturn Prime up, he can’t get anything going, and I sweep with Lanturn.
1-0
Round 2: ??? playing Emboar/Samurott/Reshiram
She opens pidove, and I love the sight of this! She doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing and she just sends up free prizes for me, not a hard match at all.
2-0
Round 3: Matthew Uchno playing TZPS
Ahhh, the matchup I feared the most, my worst nightmare, TZPS. What a game. We both start strongly, and we trade prizes. He makes a crucial misplay by catchering up my bouffalant instead of my lanturn, and with bouffalant gone, I can knock out his last zekrom with a powerful spark from lanturn, and he only has tornadus left. We’re tied 1-1 on remaining prize cards, and he catchers up my yanmega, and shocking bolts for 100. I top deck a judge, play it, and sonicboom for my last prize.
3-0
Lunch break goes, and I get a Doctor Pepper and a pretzel from a store at the center. My brother is 2-1 with Reshiboar, and my friend Andrew Estrada is 2-1 with Tyram, not too bad.
Round 4: Kaitlyn Y (Stage 1’s)
So I open double chinchou to her yanma and phanpy, she goes first, draws, attaches a fighting to phanpy, and ponts for 6, she brings her hand down to 4 cards, and passes. I draw a copycat, and my hand sucks, I have 2 lanturn prime, which is good, but nothing beyond that and two copycats. I go for a risk, and play the copycat to draw four new cards. I get two lightning energy and two junk arm, attach to chinchou, and hit yanma for 20. She draws, evolves to donphan, plays a juniper, and earthquake k.o.es my chinchou. I bring up chinchou, and am prepared to topdeck like a pro. I draw, get a pokemon communication, shake her hand, and scoop up my cards.
3-1
Round 5: Adler P. (Gothitelle)
We get set up, I draw my cards, and in my hand, I get a chichou and tyrogue, now normally I wouldn’t start with tyrogue, but because I didn’t have an energy to retreat chichou, and I know he’s playing gothitelle, I start with it for the heck of it. We flip, and I go first. He flips over a solosis to my tyrogue, and we clean up our cards.
4-1
Round 5: Austin Hanna (ZPST)
We set up, and get the show on the road, he starts, but it’s not that big of deal, considering I have 3 basic pokemon. He gets a T1 Bolt strike going, and I have little response. I collector for a bouffalant, yanma, and chinchou, bench bouffalant, attach a dce to it, and revenge k.o the zekrom. So were tied 5-5 on prizes, and I don’t look to be in that bad of a spot. We start trading hits, he would keep catchering up chinchous and bolt striking, and I would keep revenging for k.o’s. Eventually we’re tied 1-1 on prizes, and he has a catcher to win the game.
4-2
So I know I need to win my next match to land a spot in top cut, and of course, I end up playing my brother.
Round 7: Connor Dye (Reshiboar)
So we start off with me having a huge prize advantage, and when he can’t get an emboar out, there’s no real way for him to consistently blue flare. He takes 1-2 prizes to my 6, and it looks like I’m off to top cut.
Top 16 for Seniors looks something like this…
Ben G. (Donphan/Reshiram/Zekrom/Mew/Jumpluff)
2. Ty Wheeler (The Truth)
3. Kaitlyn Y. (Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark)
4. Christopher S. (Gothitelle)
5. Henry P. (Yanmega/Magnezone)
6. Daniel M. (ZPST)
7. Devin R. (Reshiphlosion)
8. Justin L. (Reshiphlosion/Kingdra)
9. Adler P. (Gothitelle)
10. Stephen P. (???)
11. Harrison Dye (Zekrom/Yanmega/Lanturn)
12. Che E. (???)
13. Austin Hanna (ZPST)
14. Alec Z. (???)
15. Andy R. (ZPST)
16. Andrew Estrada (Reshiphlosion/Kingdra)
The players in bold are all from Canada, and I slid in at 11th seed!

Top 16: Daniel M. (ZPST)
So we start off with me praying I’m not playing against a ZPST, but lady luck hates me. He opens tornadus to my yanma and chinchou. He goes first, benches a pachirisu, self generations two lightning energy, benches a zekrom, and flips one heads with dual ball, grabbing a shaymin. He passes. I draw, play a judge, and screw myself here, he gets a juniper off the judge, and gets too far ahead in prizes for me to make a come back.
With game two, I choose to go first, to which he tells me he has the donk in hand, I smile, and play a judge. He gets nothing here, while I get a yanmega prime, pokemon collector, PONT, and a yanma. I bench the yanma and pass. He plays a cheren, benches a tornadus, attaches a DCE to his active tornadus, and passes. I draw, evolve to yanmega prime, pay pokemon collector, grab chichou, chinchou, and bouffalant, bench both chinchou, and pass. He draws, attaches a lightning to active tornadus, and hurricanes my yanmega for 80. I PONT, and after that, it’s a blur. I remember me speeding ahead and taking a 1 prize lead for the rest of the game, he forfeits when I have 1 prize left to his 3.
We get setup for game 3, and right at the beginning, time is called. The judge informs us that whoever has the least amount of prize cards wins at the end of turn 3. I draw, attach a lightning to chichou, and pass. He draws and passes. I draw, evolve to lanturn, attach a DCE to lanturn, and powerful spark for a k.o on his tornadus. He draws, ends his turn, and we shake hands, putting me through to the top 8.

Top 8: Kaitlyn Y. (Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark)
So we start up, she goes first, and there’s not a lot to say about game 1, she has a dominant board position, and I forfeit early on.
Game two, I go first, and I have a Yanmega and 3 Lanturn up on turn 2, and she forfeits early on.
Game three, we actually have a prize trade, we trade donphan for lanturn, however, because I play defender and she doesn’t play pluspower, I have more lanturn left than donphan, she sets up zoroark, and catchers up zekrom to foul play a bolt strike, only to be met by an outrage k.o the following turn. I end up winning, and I see myself to top 4.

Top 4 looks like this:

1st. Austin Hanna (ZPST)
2nd. Ty Wheeler (The Truth/Ross)
3rd. Harrison Dye (me) (Yanmega/Lanturn/Zekrom)
4th. Andrew Estrada (Reshiphlosion/Kingdra)

Andrew and I are super pumped, because both of us are from Canada, meaning Canada can easily walk away with a victory from this. We come up with a plan, so that he can beat Austin Hanna and I beat Ty Wheeler, to secure an all Canadian Final! Anyways, back to the report.

Top 4: Ty Wheeler (The Truth/Ross)
He goes first, draws, plays a sage’s training, gets a pichu, and uses playground. I fill my bench with two yanma and 2 chinchou, with my shaymin active. He grabs 2 solosis and 2 oddish. I go, play a judge, attach a lightning to a chinchou, and pass. He draws, pichu wakes up, he rare candys to vileplume, benches phanpy, and plays a PONT. He draws hs six, and passes. I draw, topdeck a juniper, and slam it onto the table, getting a fresh new hand of seven. I get two lanturn and a yanmega from this, not to mention a DCE, by the end of my turn, I have two lanturn, a yanmega, and a crappy shaymin stuck active. He gets a donphan out, and passes. I draw, attach a lightning to shaymin, retreat, play a copycat, and linear attack a solosis with yanmega. He draws, benches zekrom, retreats, attaches a DCE, evolves to duosion, and outrages for 40. I draw, retreat yanmega into a non-damaged one, and linear attack duosion. Eventually he gets a bolt strike off, and then I promote lanturn to powerful spark a k.o on zekrom. Then we start trading prizes, donphans for lanturns, I get too far ahead, and I take the first match.
Game 2 he goes second, and it’s just more of the same. He congradulates me, wishes me luck, and is on his way. Sadly, Andrew looses in game 3 to Austin Hanna, so no “all Canadian” final.

Top 2: Austin Hanna (ZPST)
He just dominates me both games. Forgive my lack of remembering things, but it was 10:45, and I just wanted my two boxes and to go to sleep. He wins and is the regional champion, we shake hands, congratulate eachother, and receive an ovation from the judges. We thank all the judges, and head our spereate ways.

In the end, I had an amazing experience, and an awesome team backing me up. Props to Andrew for top 4 and props to Austin for top 16. Also, special thanks to Andrew Estrada, Connor Dye, Jacob Lesage, Joshua Pokroy (JoshA11), and Hamza Khan.

Also, Hamza Khan would like me to tell all of you that I ran no pokemon catcher whatsoever, I plyed two pokemon reversal, what can i say, i love to flip coins!

Last edited:
Thank god you didn't ran reshiboar you woulda had a bad experience lol but grats never the less! We're taking cities with our deck ;) (Hamza btw)
Posted with Mobile style...

Back