Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Texas Regionals ScrubOut Report

Tylertyphlosion

Hey there Pocket Monsters Gymnasium! I'm Ty Smith and I will be bringing you my Top 32 Master report from the Southern Plains Regional Championships.

It's Friday morning and I get up and go to a few courses and then bounce out early to head over to Tulsa. We end up leaving from Tulsa way later than expected though. We= Andrew Parmely, Joe DeVore, Kevin Murphy, Adrian Saunders, and Cameron Branch. We head down to Ardmore to pick up TAB co-founder, Kurt Creswell. From here, we make the trip down to Houston. I drove Kevin's sick Denali down to the Texas border from Tulsa. The car rode pretty nice.
We arrive at the Marriott and apparently, they double booked our room... So Kevin and Kurt walk in on Jorel Ker and a few of his buddies having fun... ANYWAYS. We get our room situation figured out and I eventually pass out. I wake up and head downstairs. It was great to see everyone again.
It looks like the final number ended up being 270 Masters if I read the Houston Pokemon Facebook correctly.

R1: Vs. Reshiphlosion I think??
Well, I do what I do and take KO's from Turn 2-7. I never let him have more than 2 pokemon on the field because of my steady stream of catchers.
1-0

R2: MeesieMew
This guy was pretty cool. He goes first and lost zones pluff. Apparently his chandy was prized so I am in the clear. At one point in the match he announces "Mass Attack" and draws his prize. Sadly, he has a Yanma active and the attack wasn't valid. So a judge comes over and confirms and we get things settled. I pull away from here.
2-0

R3: Mirror
I love mirror. More skill than luck when it comes to mirror IMO. I just remember rolling this guy.
3-0

R4: Mirror
Same as game 3. I love mirror.
4-0

R5: LegendLock
Man... This was a close game. He gets the lock up fast and I don't run Zapdos. So it is an uphill battle. I take down a gigas before he can get reuniclus up. At one point I drop a Mewtwo down with a tonnnn of energy on it to kill his active Kyurem EX. He then drops his own mewtwo to KO mine. I have mewtwo, juniper in hand. I also have 2 dynamotor at my disposal. GG there.
5-0

R6: Zebras (Jon Viveros)
Well... I run the ball engine. He runs Zebstrika and goes first. Bad beats for me! His turn 2 disconnect just makes me sad. I take 2 prizes though :D
First loss. 5-1

R7: Aaron Curry w/ Nightmare.dek
I tested this deck when it was in it's early stages. At this point, Aaron and his mystical eyes had perfected it. Oh, AND I start Mewtwo. GG.
5-2
So I am sitting at a pretty bad spot. I was running so hot and then fizzled my last 1 games. Time to win out.

R8: Papa Mash w/ mirror
This is the first time I get to meet this fine gentleman. He made some snarky remarks about my mullet before the game, but I do not care :D I get rolling hot and I am unstoppable in mirror. Good games Papa!
6-2 One more match to go... And I see it is versus Milo! Should be a good match.

R9: Milo w/ Mirror
I believe this was the first game for me to go first. Finally. I deny prizes and I believe Milo takes one or 2 prizes throughout the game. He announced disaster volt once, but forgot to play JA for the pluspower :( I felt bad for not allowing the take back, but since we were on the bubble for cut, I wouldnt allow it. Milo still made cut at 32nd seed though!

7-2 Swiss. 14th seed.
Top 32 vs. Isaiah Middleton.
Well. Here it is big boys. My downfall. Isaiah flew in from WA and I know he is a solid player. I go first Game 1.
G1: I god setup... Minus the energy for charge. I can't do anything for multiple turns without the energy :/ I lose here.
G2: I have the win with 1 prize left. That one prize left was my final catcher. I burn through my deck on my last turn to find that out. My fault for not knowing all of my prizes. I offer my hand to Isaiah. He goes on to top 4, only losing to the Champ, HT's own, Adam Garcia.

Props:
Topping... I suppose
My boy Andrew Parmely being Regional Runner-up (we ran the same list)
Everyone down in Texas for being so amazing. I can't wait for Nats.

Slops:
Only making Top 32 and losing on the energy whiff :(
Andrew losing in the Finals. (glad Adam won it though!)

Back