Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Worlds Report

FlareonEX

Hey Guys, so I thought lets write a report.
This is my first report on the gym so I'll introduce myself first:
I'm David Booij, I'm from the Netherlands and I have got to worlds by getting NC.
My English isn't that great but I'll do my best.

So we got at the hotel on Wednesday after a great holiday. I had already chosen luxchomp as the deck I would play coz I had won my Nats with it. I playtested Thursday and Friday and got 14-4 or so, that gave me a good feeling.
My brother and I wrote our lists Friday evening and made no chances, my bro played exacly the same list as I did. It was the most consistent list we could get! (the list is down this page).

Now on to the report:

Round 1 - vs Jimmy O'Brien (US) with Cursegar

Hiding behind a spiritomb he got out a Haunter with 2 energies and a Claydol. I didn't had that great but could Bright Look his Haunter and KO it with Flash Bite + Flash Impact (he played the 70HP one).
Now he had to make his setup again while I could take prices by KO'ing his Claydol and 2 Tombs. At this point he had got a Gengar X with a psy, a call, a warp and a exbelt, and he had got a Nidoqueen on the bench. He played Judge coz he needed the psy but didn't draw into it, so he sent his Queen forward and passes.
I play collector for Lucario and playdown Uxie X for the KO. He still can't get the psy so I could D-Rush his benched Duskull FTW.
GG

1-0

Round 2 - vs Adam Arsenault (CA-NC) with Cursegar
Again Cursegar :O I hadn't expect that, but the matchup isn't that worse for me.
He got a bad start and had to Pitch Dark 4 turns. My start was not so great too but I could get out a Luxray and make some KO's.
I don't remember much about this game... I made a bad mistake by attacking his benched uxie for the last KO while he had got a Manetric on the bench... but after a few turns I could take my last price and still take the win.
GG

2-0

Lunchbreak
I don't like it to have a lunchbreak, surely not after 2 rounds.
We got back to our room and ate some bread. I read 20 minutes to take some rest, took a cold shower to get awake and head up to the gaming room.

Round 3 - vs Yuta Komatsuda (JP) with Luxchomp

He directly got Luxray X. I didn't had any supporters so I got out my Garchomp X and made a KO, hoping to draw a supporter from my prices but that didn't happen, it was a Azelf.
He KO'ed my Garchomp X with Dragonite.
I Time Walked into a Uxie and Setup for 5. Got a Garchomp and KO'ed his Dragonite.
He had got another DCE and could KO my Garchomp. From there on I couldn't get anything so GG .

2-1

Round 4 - vs Morten Gundesen (DM) with Abomasnow/Ampharos

The idea of his deck was to get out an Aboma and a Amphy will he hides behind a Spiritomb. Aboma puts 20 on all your opponents pokemon (except water and grass) and Amphy blocks all powers from pokemon that do have a damage counter on it.
He got a really fast setup will I had to mimic twice to get a supporter. I couldn't use my powers coz he snowplayed every turn, and after a few turns he took all his prices.
Still a good game, and really nice deck!

2-2

Round 5 - vs Benjamin Potter (US-LCQ) (Not sure of this) with ?
He had to start and only got a Baltoy, he attached a water and passed. I attach DCE to Luxray, collector for 2 Crobat and double Flash Bite + Bite FTW

3-2

Round 6 - vs Alessandro Cremascoli (IT-NC) with Cursegar
A judge asked us if we would like to play on the stage. I ask Alessandro if he likes to and he's oke with it.
So we played this game in the spotlights ^^

Again a Cursegar XD but I had won the other 2 so this one couldn't be a big problem, could it?
I had a nice hand, menaged to get out an Luxray X and took some prices while he made his setup. I KO'ed his Gengar, Claydol and 2 Tomb and then he played.... POKEMON REVERSAL --> Heads, pulling my Bronzong G forward and locking it with a Spiritomb active.
My Bronzong had got 30 damage so after 3 turns Galactic switch I KO'ed myself, sent up a Luxray, Leveled Up, put another Luxray on the bench and KO'ed something. Now I had 1 price left and could make the last KO next turn with a new Luxray X or if I did draw into a Garchomp X I could even make a KO with it coz I had got a Garchomp with E.Gain and DCE benched.
He sent up his Gengar with 3 energy and an exbelt, played reversal --> HEADS! pulled my Luxray and KO'ed it.
I played Aaron's for Luxray, lay it down and passed.
Again he played reversal --> HEADS and he KO'ed again my Luxray.
I Poke Turn'ed my Luxray X, lay down my Luxray and pass.
He: Reversal, Heads, Luxray, Judge, KO.
I had to draw a Garchomp X or something to get it, otherwise I would lose... I drew: Random, Random, Pokemon Communication and Azelf! So I get my Garchomp X and KO something FTW
Pfffw close game! Really GG!

4-2

Round 7 - vs Pooka/Kyle Sucevich (US) with Dialgachomp

He starts Dialga attached special metal passed. I started Chatot, play Uxie for 3 but didn't draw that great. I thought a moment and than played Judge. I drew Communication and a Pokemon, search a Uxie and draw 5. I played my bench full and passed.
He played down a Garchomp with DCE and passed.
I got an Garchomp X out and KO'ed his Chomp.
He still hadn't got anything so after I Flash Impact'ed him he Poke Turn'ed his Dialga.
GG, sorry for you not drawing anything.

I waited for an hour or so and heard I was 16th (grrr why do we have a top 32???! XD). I had to play the guy from round 4.

TOP 32 - vs Morten Gundesen (DM) with Abomasnow/Ampharos

Before the game I tried to figure out how I could win against this deck without a Dialga X. But the only thing I could think of was being really really fast. What wouldn't be that easy as he would be ready at turn 2/3 :S
The other option was switching his energies to the bench and hope he couldn't get more energies XD

Game 1:
He started with Jirachi but got 2 other pokemon so I couldn't donk him.
I kept my bench small so he wouldn't win that fast. But I couldn't make a good setup.
He started attacking turn 3, will he has an Ampharos benched.
I tried to swoop his energies to the bench with ambipom. But he had enough energies in hand so I scooped.
Game 2:
I started with Luxray, Call, DCE and Collector. Coz I didn't want a full bench I attached DCE to Luxray and use Bite on his lone Tomb.
He played Collector and used Darkness Grace for a Aboma.
I played Collector for 2 Bats and KO'ed his Tomb. Then I Bright Look'ed his Bat and KO'ed it.
Because of my fast start he couldn't get his Amphy. He scooped after a few turns.
Game 3:
He got Aboma and Amphy out turn 2. I knew I couldn't win against that, so I tried to get a chatterlock but didn't draw an energy from my uxie...
He made 6 KO's FTW.
GG mate!

1-2

I ended 22th in a really nice tournement and am happy with it. I think it's a really good performence for my first year masters.

Here's my list:

2-2 Garchomp X
2-2 Luxray X
2-1 Uxie X
1 Toxi
1 Zong
1 Ambi
1 Lucario
2 Bat
1 Azelf
1 Chatot
1 Unown Q

4 Collector
4 Cyrus's
4 Turn
4 Spray
3 Gain
3 Radar
2 Communication
1 Bebe's
1 Judge
1 Aaron's
1 Luxury
1 Night Maintenance

4 DCE
3 Call
2 Lightning
2 Psy

Props:
- My brother Olaf for playtesting and everything!
- Anna for playtesting end all other help she has given me!
- Bert, Danilo, Melchior, Roan and Emanuel for playtesting!
- All the Dutch and Belgium players (and parents ofc.) that were at worlds for being there!
- Everyone who was rooting for me!
- My parents for being that great supporters!
- Yasmin for getting 5th in her first year masters!
- Luxchomp for being a great deck! I love all the options it has!
- TOP 32 and NC in my first year masters!
- All the staff, judges, translators, volunteers and everyone who helped the tournement being this great!

Slops:

- Long, long, long flight (36 hours...)
- Everyone who dropped... it's worlds! It's for fun!

Thanks for reading my report. I hope you did enjoy it :)

Last edited:
You've had an amazing season, and congratulations on making top cut, shame you had to face that deck, though you gotta give him props for running it.
Congratulations again, and here's to next season.

nice job man

you also got to play pooka and the world champ in the same tournament!

5-2 in Swiss really isn't bad for your first year in Masters, let's see if we can do better this year, and maybe play Worlds together in the same age group :p

Back