Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 4 at US nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xicious

So, according to the invite structure for worlds it is possible and even somewhat feasible for a top 4 player to get a paid trip to Vancouver but not the invite to play in the world championships for the vgc. Anyone care to comment on this?

I believe you will get more help in this area of the sight verses this being in the VGC section. This is not a topic I have information on to make a comment, so this is the next best thing I can do to help get you an answer.

Really? Alright, I'll trust you on this one.... I wasn't asking a question just trying to bring this to light and get some publicity for it, i think this is really screwed up. "Top 4 at nats, good job, here's a trophy, and you get a chance to grind in to one of the 2 spots available at the last chance qualifier!"

Note: If you top 2 at VGC nats you'll probably get the invite but 3rd and 4th might not get the invite but would still get the trip. Due to this.
Players will receive invitations to the 2013 World Championships based on their final Championship Point standings.

North America: Top 12 players based on Championship Point standings,

Right now top 12 is sitting around 250cp.

So if anyone who hasn't gotten a lot of championship points makes top 4 they'd get a trip and no invite to worlds.

Last edited:
In TCG if you win a trip you also win enough points to qualify for Worlds. I would assume this will also be the case for VGC, even if its been overlooked on the price FAQ.

The VGC invite system is a little different, there's not X amount of points needed to get a Worlds invite, It's only top 2 from last year worlds, top 12 in the North America, and 2 players from the LCQ. I really do hope they change because that's ridiculous.

^ Having points awarded for the VGC is an additional way to boost your chances at earning the required amount of points to get into worlds. The TCG has a point system, and so does the VGC.

Basically, the VGC is sort of a "bonus" way to stack on points at events that host the VGC. If you play in both the TCG and the VGC- you are increasing your ability to earn more points at an event.

This next part I am saying is how I see it, and not factual in the point system:

TCPI implementing the VGC into the events is still young. There is a point system in place that is considered a step into the direction of helping players out to earn more points at events, using the VGC as a way to boost your chances of acquiring the total points needed to get into worlds.

Top VGC players receive what awards go into the system as per what is allowed by TCPI to earn specific spots for winning. The rest receive points to go to an invite if they have earned points in either (both) TCG/VGC and reach the amount of points required to get that invite.

This is the first year in which the VGC has been incorporated into events and points being given to the VGC players. Like I said, this is still young and I am sure that TCPI is working on getting a system down that awards accordingly for the VGC players.

Again, I am not speaking for TCPI and I know exactly the whole way the system works/functions- just saying that VGC is a second way of boosting your over all points.

Example:

You attend a Regionals- you get points for TCG. You make top 64. You get points. You also played in the VGC (if hosted for Regionals)- you get points.

If you can not attend enough Events, but can make it to the Events that do have the VGC- play in both and it will make up for the points you are not able to make since you are not able to attend other Events.

As I was saying, the VGC is still young, and they are looking into what works and what does not work for the point system.

One thing to consider is how the VGC does not directly put "funds" into the Events. What I am saying is that comparing the VGC to the TCG- the TCG has merchandise that funds the game. Video games do not put "support" into the TCG Events. TCPI extended the Events to include the VG player base, so it is with great acknowledgement to them for extending rewards and points to us Vg'rs on behalf of the company to include us in the first place since the video game does not directly put funds into assisting on supporting the video game scene.

I am not saying the VG players are "free loaders" either. A good amount of the video game players do play the TCG as well. But a company is smart to see potential in the VG player base that they could become TCG players, which in turn is good business. The old saying of "got to spend some money to make some money" applies here. This is a great way to reach out to the Pokémon community to extend opportunities to grow the game, even if it is some from the video game side of things.

Video game players outnumber the TCG players (this is not a slam on the TCG) world wide. Seeing the TCG and the VGC coming together is an opportunity to blend in the interest of both aspects to grow the game.

Again, what I said is just how I see it, and not factual. I do not speak on behalf of anyone but myself on this matter. I just thought I would put this out here, and if I am at all incorrect in anything I have said- I will retract it, no problem.

Give it some time, and I am sure that when the time is right- changes could be made in the VG part of things.

yes in vgc you can top 4 nationals win the trip and NOT recieve your worlds invite if you arent in the top 12 CP. its just an unfortunate fact about the vgc season. it is not like tcg where you win an auto invite with your trip.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Just wanted to make a note that cp from the tcg and vgc do not mix together for the chance to get an invitation, I can personally confirm this.

Angel my man, I think I got lucky and bested you last night on gbu. Gg though, but yeah it really sucks its almost deterring me from attending. I ahould be fine of I top 4 but still, this is really dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back