Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 4 TX Regs. Garchomp

Gowk

Tournament: Regionals
State: TX - Senior
Deck: Garchomp (Stage 2) / Sableye or nom nom nom

Pre-Pre Tournament:

I had tested a few things and settle on garchomp for several distinct reasons. First off was its ability to sweep set ups that lacked a good start, which should provide for a game here and there. Second was because the deck counters a ton of the metagame in all divisions. Dos can constantly be one shoted with the aid of expert belt or weavile, with out the threat of a ohko back. SP rarely have enough energy to take a 120 hit and survive and I don’t think I need to comment on jumpluff. Finally, I was just a big fan of what this deck could do and what options it had.
I sleep over at Keeli’s house and practice. I get 2 amazing Brawl games in as Falco (Thank you Alex) and get pumped for the next day. Bed time is 12 and by then I have all the cards I need and 2 deck list’s printed out. Ready to go.

Pre Tournament:

Practice Game vs Austin C. (Magnezone switch)

I get lucky with a few heads on a cyrus iniative, slowing him down. He sends up a tomb and I sand tomb it was gabite. I stall for a few turns and guard claw KO. I follow up with a few guard claws and switch preventing kills from his 60+20 (belt) – 20 = 60 damage. He has no means to do 70 or above when I guard claw so I push him down in prizes. He eventually knocks stuff down and ties it, but I have a better field. The use of conductivity and dce to a mime is not enough to prevet my final KO. His next card was Blissey Prime, which would have essentially elongated the game and given him another chance to win. Well played.

The Tournament:

Round 1: v Jazzmyn T. (Machamp/Donphan)

My T1: Mulligan, then call for sableye and baltoy
Her T1: Roseane’s for Zelf and Nidoran
2: Cnat get what I need, but I do get the 2 heads on cyrus! Woot.
2. Clutch draw of a professors oaks visit -> uxie.
3: I fail again for some reason
3: She clutch draws again, and I know what she had in her hand, so she pulled some great tops

She kept drawing exactly what she needed to win. I eventually get set up, but she has energy in play so the sweep is a tad hard to set up. She takes a prize from a machamp on my sableye. I send up Chomp and threaten it with guard claw (keep in mind she unnecessarily attachs a expert belt.) Then she flips 4 heads to knock out my guard clawed garchomp. 4 heads. What? I ended up also having a rare candy, garchomp and DCE prized. GG

Loss 0-1

I already figure my resistance is shot, considering she didn’t know what call did ( I was pissed that I lost), so I had to win out. We calculated it out that I could loose again, but I would need great resistance.

Round 2: v Jared M. (No idea)

He starts Pachi and gets three random pokemon (2 of which of where giratina.) He fills his bench with a roseane’d mareep and a shinx. I begin setting up and I get a dol off a call + bebes. Next turn I sweep and eliminate his giratina X. I luck sack some unnecessary reversals and win.

Win 1-1

Round 3: Gavin S. (?) (Loaner deck)

I figure out that I really don’t need sableye against this kind of deck, but I use it to just set up fast. He gets a KO on sableye by using Hitmonchan. I sweep from there with no worries.

Win 2-1

Round 4: Harrion M. (No idea)

This kid seemed mad the entire game for some reason. He had a lot of random stuff going at once. He ends up using Tyrogue mischievous punch like 3 times, before he gets a tails with it. I almost knock it out before it can even attack with Dragon Pulse or w.e. I use reversals to make this as painless as possible.

Win 3-1

Round 5: Corey R. (Nidoqueen/Girantina)

A great player who was nice and cool. I hit his weakness with the use of weavile, so I started out in great shape. The sweep follows quickly. I had no worries after my bench/energy shortage.

Win 4-1

Round 6: Jake T. ? (Jakesnake#) (Curse Gar)

Amazing player. World compeitor and top 4 at nats. He was great. On top of that he had a great sense of humor and it was just a fun game. I used weavile to my advantage and proved that I could handle cursegar. We have a small stall thing going. Hetakes a prize lead on a uxie start and I figure out what I need to do. He had leveled up and I had him. I btw to weavile and dark engage. Attach a belt and maybe a sp. Dark. I take 2 prizes (belt) on his Gengar X with a speed impact. Because of that he is down energy wise and I start taking prizes. He sends out Gengar SF to stall for a little and I nail it for 90 with a non exp belt, dce, dark engage, guard claw. I then use uxie to take him out. I nw have one prize and he has two. He does a few last ditch draws and a wager trying to get his nmed gengar sf back into play to push SD. He cant do it and ends one card short. I take the game. Serious Kudos. That was a great game.

Win 5-1

Round 7: Zach R.? (Curse Gar)

This guy is new to the game and is dominating. He does what he needs to do and hurts me. He starts tomb, which is fine but I cant fish an sp dark to hurt it and knock it out. He then Let Loose’s my hand and I cant set up my deck. I had a bebes and everything. He gets what he needs and I cant. I end up scooping when I run out of ways to get Kos. I end up sand tombing his tomb. He uses a warp energy and I am practically done. (<-BTW this info is really important.) I end up trying to use a wager to stall him a tad and get what I need. 5 minutes into our epic wager I loose. I scoop then. Kudos, great game man.

Loss 5-2

I am some what worried about my standing as only a few 5-2 are goind to make it but I am still confident; I was at the second table after all.

We wait like for ever and things eventually get posted.

I make it as 12th sead out of 16 and move on. I calculate it out with the help of Austin C (master) and figure out im going to be battling shuppet. I feel confident in the round, besides the fact that I knew he had dunsparce.

Top 16 / Round 8: Brian Perry (Shuppet)

Game 1 ( I might have mixed this up with game 2) : I go start sableye and cyrus iniative because I cant donk. I hurt him enough for me to get set up and start my stuff. Guard claw is pro against him and my timely iniatives and wagers help. I end up sand tombing stuff for him to waste his attachments. I figure out I cant take 3 prizes before he takes one, and I do just that. It gives me the lead and I push forward. Win

Game 2: I know he can get me this game if I don’t set up. I get lucky and sableye first and work soley on setting up. I end up pushing the game down and go agro on his set up. This is the correct call as he sets up. He might have taken a prize, but I had at least take one or two on crobats, mimes or spiritombs. I end up going down another prize and send up garchomp with my weavile @ 2 sp dark on the bench. I reatreat send up weavile. I know he can do 80 damage to me so I attack an expert belt. I dark engage and use its attack. I get a KO and I get to go to town on his hand. I end up discarding like 12 cards and the judges start laughing. Its great. That practly seals the deal. I finish strong. This guy was cool and I was happy to battle him. I look forward to seeing you in the future, kudos.

Win 6-2

Top 8 / Round 9: Zach R. (Curse Gar from round 7)

Game 1: I cant set up like I would like. I make sure to kill a ton of time, and start t get back into the game. I cant catch up prize wise and I know I should be able to out speed him game 2. I d some tricks, cant take the KO and scoop. – I might have forgotton something, but these games were amazing and I am not giving the justice.

Game 2: I go agro so hard. He sets up 2 spiritomb which is fine with me. I use sableye and knock one out. I end taking one prize there and 3 more from some garchomp tricks. I hurt him hard and he ends up scooping when I have one prize left.(Having a 3 energy attack is hard to get too when I apply that much pressure.)

Game 3: He knows exactly what he needs to do. He giratina’s again, but I am lucky and top deck the claydol I need. I set up and take 2 easy prizes on spiritombs that he probably shouldn’t have sent up. At this point we are both tired and kind of angry and just when we think we have had enough of each other time is called. I don’t know if he could have pulled it out, but going agro like that gave me the lead.

Dude our games were down to the wire. Im sorry about some of my mis plays and stuff and I am really happy we had such good games. That was really pro. Kudos man and im sorry about the whole time limit thing.

Win 7-2

I shake hands with my fellow top 4ers and we are tyring to know who we are going up against. I should be going against Dialga Chomp, which should be an ok match up. My deck was made to combat SP and small energy decks. I should be able to handle it. I can actually handle every deck in top 4, but I just need a little luck.

Assuming seed placement, here is the top 4:
1. Ryan M. (LuxChomp)
2. Tyler ? (DialgaChomp)
3. Me (Garchomp)
4. Jake T.(CurseGar)

Things get called and I go to my table..

Top 4 / Round 10: Ryan M. (LuxChomp)

We shake hands and wish each other luck, like pros.

Game 1: I get two crucial heads on a cyrus iniative and begin killing his stark. I begging taking prizes and take a good lead. He cant get anything, even after he draws 2 DCEs to knoc out my chomps. He has the Chomp C active ad I sand tomb and expert belt it for 100. He fails to get anything . I take another prize, but he pushes back another chompe. I sand tomb again doing nothing. Here is where a problem occurs.
I see a benched chomp or something. I reversal it up. I had the stuff, but I couldn’t K.O it for some reason. I wager my hand, hoping to draw big and I do my stuff. I loose or something. I then look to claydol for my Garchomp. I use cosmic power, but for some reason Ryan and a judge thought I had used it. It might have been tha lack of sleep or a plain mistake on their part, but I am almost 100% sure I hadn’t cosmiced. This essentially prohibited me from getting another chomp and winning.
I end up loosing another chomp and having the last one prized. I cant do anything, but I see my opening for the game. I use bebes looking for one last chomp and its prized. I scoop. Ugh – I hate scooping when im ahead.

Game 2: I go agro for 3 turns, netting me 3 prizes. I end up having a gible prized and was un able to return the KO’s after 2 chomps were knocked out and I nmed already. I scoop.

Loss 7/3

I end up with a 4th place trophy and a box of HeartGold. I am a tad upset about my last round, but it was still a great run (I returned 0-1), seeing a ton of friends, and having a ton of fun. Kudos to Jake for winning at the end with some clutch Mewtwo action and being like 3 years younger than me. See ya around hommie.

After tournament:

I end up watching some masters stuff. I saw a donphan get creamed by a great LuxChomp. That made me smile – as did Max A winning Juniors. I wait for my dad to take me home (its like 2 now) and I practically crash when I get home. Good thing I got some sleep, I had to work in 5 hours.

Props:
+Some great plays by some great opponets
+An amazing wager in R7
+Discarding 12 cards from shuppets hand
+Having my friends Ampharos deck not fail too hard
+Getting 4th place
+Proving people wrong about Garchomp
+Great judging
+Well run tornmant
+A lot of fun
+Getting a box and glass

Slops:
- 4 heads from a Machamp R1
- Being so tired that I misplayed or having the judges mess something up, either way I missed winning by a small margin
- Kealyn’s opponet not getting the adequate prize penality for having 6 bench pokemon
- Giratina messing me up just once
- Time
- Me not proof reading this enough. Sorry about spelling/grammer problems - this was written with haste.

I hope I don’t misinterpret or represent anything. I may make edits to clarify or communicate what happened better.

GG
You did better with Garchomp then I did.

Glad to see the deck to well.

Also off topic. I don't even remember making that post in ya sig lol

@Cook - Thanks, i am totaly looking forward to being more competitive in Masters and catching some people by surprise.

@Absol - That quote is old - but eh. Dude, having a starter made my life a ton easier - but i really miss that nidoqueen tech. That is the way to go in the future. And this deck does a great job countering Pluff and stuff - i am surprised you didnt do better - what happened?

@Cook - Thanks, i am totaly looking forward to being more competitive in Masters and catching some people by surprise.

@Absol - That quote is old - but eh. Dude, having a starter made my life a ton easier - but i really miss that nidoqueen tech. That is the way to go in the future. And this deck does a great job countering Pluff and stuff - i am surprised you didnt do better - what happened?

Ran 4 Tombs and never got a tomb start once in 8 Swiss rounds and 3 practice rounds for starters.

My resistance was also TERRIBLE.

The first guy I beat in Round 2 was new to the game and new to SP decks, and if he played the rest of his matches as he did against me, he probably went 1-7 or maybe 0-8.

Then I beat a guy round 3 who was 1-2 with a bye and went 2-6 in the end.

So even though I went 5-3 with the deck I only got 49th, so not t32 for me.

Absol, If there was only a little bit more time you could have been 4-4 and I could have been 6-2 into top cut instead of 43rd overall. See you down the road.

Gowk good job after seeing what Absol and you have done with Garchomp It looks like a deck that I would like to try to play.

Back