Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tournament Report of the 3rd Annual Battlenet Championship

Jigglypuff666

First of all, if this is in the wrong place, tell me or move it or something.

Report by: Jigglypuff666
Deck: Infernacatty
Event: The 3rd annual Battlenet Championship
Format: Modified (HP - DP)

Hey guys,

On the Friday just gone, I was able to finish off my Infernacatty deck and play a few practice matches with it, and it seemed pretty potent. I was concerned about the Metagame, though, as most people who attended didn’t go to league this week. I did know 2 decks, though, one since I was lending it to the player (Adam S.) (and it was GatrQueen so you know) and 1 I helped build, even lending a few cards to the person (Josh A.). Once there, I realised the turn out was very good, though I’m not certain on how many people there were.
Onto the deck!

Pokémon (20)
4 Chimchar (DP)
2 Monferno (DP)
3 Infernape (DP)
1 Infernape Lv. X (DP)
4 Skitty (2x PK, 2x CG)
2 Delcatty (PK)
2 Delcatty Ex (CG)
1 Sableye (CG)
1 Luvdisc (CG)

Trainers (24)
4 Windstorm
4 Rare Candy
3 Scott
4 T.V. Reporter
2 Holon Mentor
3 Professor Elm’s Training Method
2 Celio’s Network
1 Crystal Shard
1 Plus Power

Energy (16)
12 Fire
4 Double Rainbow Energy

Strategy:
Do I have to tell you? If so, it’s to get Infernape out ASAP and start Flare Blitzing for 80-90 damage every turn. Delcatty (PK) is the main draw engine for the deck. Mid to late game, Delcatty Ex’s Upstream and Infernape Lv. X’s Flare Up are used to do lots of damage.
Now for the techs and odd parts of the deck. Luvdisc was only really in the deck as I didn’t have a second Sableye. Sableye is for discarding energy with Excavate, and possibly to stall with Disable. I use the Scott engine instead of Castaway as I prefer it. After everything, I only had room for 2 other trainers, so I went with 1 Crystal Shard as I was expecting lots of Dragons, and 1 Plus Power for the 1 time increase in damage.

Onto the matches!

Round 1: vs. Saltaria (George M - D)
When I saw the first Bagon, I was happy with the addition of the Crystal Shard. Thankfully, for the first few turns, he had no energy! Before he could get one Salamence Ex (PK) powered up, I was able to Flare Blitz a Tailow, a Budew, a Swellow and a Bagon! Volcanic Flame KO’ed my Infernape, but by then, I had 8 energies in the discard, ready to be Upstream - ed from Delcatty Ex. I was happy after that, and hoped my good luck would continue.
1-0

Round 2: vs. a Torterra deck (Pat. P)
Pat got a 2nd turn Torterra, but with only 2 energies on it! I Had a Monferno and Flame Danced it to 80. She used Body Slam next turn, but I had Infernape in my hand, so I flare Blitzed it. Everything else I KO’ed was either a Holon’s Castform or a Tutwig, all because of Flare Blitz. Apart from 1 Tutwig, which got KO-ed to a Flare Up, doing 160 to it!
2-0

Round 3: vs. Crawdaunt Ex/Swampert Ex/Nidoqueen (Charlie H.)
I knew what he was playing and, after having 1 Chimchar, along with a Rare Candy and Infernape, but no DRE., while he had 2 Corphishes. He started. I was about to say well done when he passed without doing anything! I Rare Candied, attached Fire and went for the Meteor Punch, doing nothing. He got a Cyclone, bringing up the Chimchar I drew last turn. Thankfully, I got a Monferno, and that was it for the first Corphish as it was Flare Blitzed. He then did 40 to the Infernape with the second Corphish. Still no DREs for me, so I had to go with another Meteor Punch, this time getting 2 heads and winning the game for me!
After the game, he realised that he could’ve played Holon Circle to stall. Oh well. We also had a friendly, were he thrashed me. I didn’t like that.
3-0

After that, it was lunch. Something I didn’t tell you was that I only live about 5 - 10 minutes walk from Battlenet, so didn’t have to get any of the junk that other people may have got, or use any money. I didn’t get any chance to play any practice games after lunch, so onto round 4!

Round 4: vs. Lucario/Seaking (Josh H.)
OK, I didn’t like my chances when I found out what his deck was. I didn’t like them even more when I started with 3 (!) Skittys. I just couldn’t get set up due to his Cessation Crystal, and he managed to take all 6 prizes very quickly, all for no return. I knew that I now had to win every game to stand any chance of getting into the top 4 cut.
3-1

Round 5: vs. Royal Flygon (Matt H.)
I start with Sableye, him with 2 Holon’s Castform. He started, attached, and passed. I attached, and Disabled Delta Draw. He retreated, put up the other H. Castform, and put a Nidoran (Female) onto the bench, then he Delta Drew for 1. I got some basics onto the bench (I think it was 2 Chimchars and a Skitty, but I can’t remember), and preceded to Disable Delta Draw until H. Castform got KO-ed, all the while setting up my bench. He then put up Nidoqueen and did 40. I then started to Disable that as well! He dropped an Absol Ex to move 30 from Sableye to a benched Infernape, and passed. I got another Infernape, each Ape with a DRE attached, and Disabled Nidoqueen again. He retreated, putting up a Flygon Ex and KO-ing Sableye. I put up the damaged Infernape and did 80, which then got KO-ed. I put up my other Ape, got another one set up on the bench (with DRE attached) and KO-ed the Flygon Ex. He brought up Nidoqueen and used Vengeance. I KO-ed it with another DRE fuelled Flare Blitz. He then brought up his second Flygon Ex and KO-ed the Infernape. My final one was then made active, being Levelled Up to the Level X version. I had 8 fires in the discard pile, a DRE attached, and used my teched in Plus Power to KO it! I knew it would help during the day.
4-1

Round 6: vs. Shiftry Ex/Dusknoir/Mightyena Ex (Alex S.)
He played Sidney’s Stadium first go (I started, using Luvdisc). Second turn, I use Stadium Play for bench damage! Not something I say very often when using Infernacatty. He got a second turn Mightyena Ex out and did 40 to a Skitty. I started powering up an Infernape with fires, then KO-ed the Luvdisc next turn (it had 20 after a Double Kick). I put up Infernape and Flare Blitzed it. He then had few energies, so KO-ed a Shiftry (DP) after a while. Shiftry Ex (PK) then came up (with a Special Dark) and Skill Hacked Flare Blitz. I put up Delcatty Ex and did 110 with Upstream, which then got promptly KO-ed with another Skill Hacked Flare Blitz. Shiftry Ex then got KO-ed, I think by a Flame Dance, but I can’t remember. He put up a Dusclops, which got Flare Blitzed for the win!
5-1

With a 5-1 record, I knew I was into the top 4 with the 2 other people on the same record, but it was just 4th seed that needed to be sorted out. It ended up being Adam S, the person who was using my GatrQueen! The seedings ended up like this:
1st: Charlie H.
2nd: Shaun B.
3rd: Me
4th: Adam S.
That meant I was facing Shaun in the Semi Finals. Yay.

Just so you know, I made notes for all of the swiss matches. When it came to top cut, I didn't have enough time to make any notes, so I had to do it from memory when I got home. Because of this, I had to miss out some parts of some games.

Top 4: vs. Infernacatty (Shaun B.)
Game 1: I played his deck a couple of times at league, so I knew what to do. I don’t remember too much of what happened in this game, apart from I started with Sableye and tried to stall for a while at the same time as getting set up. However, he Flare Blitzed my Sableye, which caused me to play catch up all game, never getting ahead.
0-1
Game 2: Again, I can’t remember much, but when he discarded an Infernape for some sort of drawing trainer, I was confident of victory. The other 2 were, eventually, KO-ed, along with a Delcatty Ex, which ended up in me winning.
1-1
Game 3: It was getting close to time, so I had to start picking up prizes soon. So obviously, I started with Sableye again. Disable was used to stall again while I was getting set up, ending up with 40 on a Chimchar/Monferno until Sableye was Blitzed. Eventually, he had to put up his Monferno, which I used Flame dance on for the KO, and we were all tied on 4 prizes left each. We had about 1-2 minutes left, when Shaun started to try and stall (he had Delcatty Ex on the bench with enough energies to KO my Monferno). However, I was having none of that, and did Upstream with about 30 seconds left. Time was called during my turn, at which point I did 110 with my own Upstream to win the match.
2-1

In the over semi, Adam and Charlie battled well, with the first victory going to Charlie. However, in the other 2, it seemed as though Charlie got bad starts, both of which allowed Adam to win! I was now very happy as both of my decks got into the final! I had a friendly against him earlier, where I won, so I was confident of victory again.

Final: vs. GatrQueen (Adam S.)
Game 1: A Luvdisc start with no Fires in my hand. When I saw he had a Totodile start, I said I thought he was going to win. First turn, I passed. He attached, put Nidoran (Female) on the bench and I think another Totodile and did 20. I think I got T.V. Reporter, used it and got a Skitty and a Fire! I played the Skitty, attached fire to Luvdisc, and got 2 Chimchars and I think another Skitty. From there, I got set up, and he had no Rare Candies throughout most of the game, allowing me to Flare Blitz most of his Pokémon. He did get 1 Gatr out, but I Blitzed that a couple of times (even if once, he did use Memory Berry/Rage against me).
1-0
Game 2: I had a god hand for going second (Chimchar, Rare Candy, Infernape, DRE), but he chose for me to start. I was a little annoyed. He had 1 Nidoran to my 2 Chimchars. I attached a Fire and did 10. He Mentored for more basics (2 Totodiles and a Nidoran) and Tail Whipped for nothing. I Rare Candied into Infernape and Meteor Punched, getting the heads I needed. He then started sending out sacrificial basics while getting a Nidoqueen out with a Scramble attached, and I think started on getting a Feraligatr. He had 4 Pokémon in the discard and used Vengeance. I Blitzed it, then he KO-ed Infernape. I put up Delcatty Ex (it was all I had to attack with) and Up-streamed to KO it. He got Feraligatr up and running and did 60 or 70 damage to it (I can’t remember exactly). I retreated, put up Infernape and Blitzed. He then Dragged off the weakened Delcatty Ex, KO-ing it. He still had no more basics. I Blitzed the Feraligatr again for the win!

I won! I couldn’t believe it.

Props:
Me winning.
Getting 60 Lucario Sleeves, a massive Meowth Plush, and a Dragonite Ex in my booster packs, along with other great cards.
Martin for hosting a brilliant tournament.
Nigel for being a great judge.
The atmosphere thought the whole day.
Disable.
DRE.
2 of my decks getting into the final.

Slops:
Losing some games.
Someone else getting a Flygon Ex in a booster.
Not winning any of the spot prizes.
Having no Jigglypuff plush on the day.

All in all, a great tournament.

Thanks guys!

Prime - I couldn't believe how useful it was. Same for Luvdisc.

Kemply05 - Last year wasn't that close, after out first game, I was almost resigned to losing.

Thanks again guys!
Leonners - there are several reasons. First, I've been experimenting with the Scott engine since the end of last season, and thought I would test it out during the tournament. Next, the GatrQueen deck I let Adam S. use, I thought, would need the 2 Castaway I have (seriously, that's all I have) to search for Memory Berry. Finally, most Infernacatty's that use Castaway will (as far as I see) run Strength Charm as well, and I don't see that as necessary since 90 is hardly a major amount of damage to get to (I say 90 since most of them time I will Flare Blitz with a DRE attached, doing 80), so wouldn't be that useful. However, I did decide, at league, to try out 4 Plus Powers instead of Scott. Didn't work, so it will need an engine of some sort. However, I will try out the Castaway engine at league soon to find out which is better: the Scott engine or the Castaway engine.

i use a castaway+strenght charm for okho on lucario. U did'n need a crystal shard, but just imho. Sableyes are very very cool, but not in a flygon ex meta.

No mario, there?

There was one Mario, but I didn't have to play it. I did play against it a couple of times at league, and, due to a couple of lucky top decks, managed to win both times.
As for the Flygon Ex metagame, there was only one. Same with most decks, actually. Sableye seemed to wotrk pretty well, so that will stay. The Crystal Shard was a waste of space, and has been taken out. I will probably test Castaway + Strength Charm at league to see how good it is.

Pokémon (20)
4 Chimchar (DP)
2 Monferno (DP)
3 Infernape (DP)
1 Infernape Lv. X (DP)
4 Skitty (2x PK, 2x CG)
2 Delcatty (PK)
2 Delcatty Ex (CG)
2 Sableye (CG)

Trainers (24)
3 Windstorm
1 Warp point
3 Rare Candy
1 Castaway
2 Scott
4 T.V. Reporter
2 Holon Mentor
1 Professor Elm’s Training Method
2 Celio’s Network
1 Strenght Charm
1 Plus Power
2 Masterball
1 Copycat

Energy (16)
12 Fire
4 Double Rainbow Energy

I'm testing scott in this way. I also tried a greatball-masterball version with only 2 celios (also with budew as starter in 3 or 4X). This is my list right now

I tried the Castaway version (-2 Scott, -1 Plus Power, -1 Crystal Shard, +2 Castaway, +2 Strength Charm from my list), and I have to say, it worked beautifly. Well, apart from the first game where I had both Castaways int he prizes. If I could get my hands on 2 more Castaway, then I probably end up keeing that way.
I have to say, I'm not keen on the idea of a Great/Masterball version of Infernacatty. Can I ask, did it work? I may end up trying it for my self either way.
Oh, and I like your list!

I tried a while a Budew+balls list, was for mirror (in which losing 2 chimchar in the first 2 turns could be a problem), but here not a lot of Infernape. So i drop not changing the enegine. Actually, i like the masterballs. Great ball could works, but master is needed, imho. I am also thinking about the 3rd Monferno

Pokémon (20)
4 Chimchar (DP)
2 Monferno (DP)
3 Infernape (DP)
1 Infernape Lv. X (DP)
4 Skitty (3x PK, 1x CG)
2 Delcatty (PK)
2 Delcatty Ex (CG)
2 Sableye (CG)

Trainers (24)
3 Windstorm
1 Warp point