Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Trick Room Pokémon

thunderjolt

What are some good trick room pokémon and why? I've thought of maybe using a snorlax with belly drum and have another pokémon use psych up to both gain the stat boost.

Also, shuckle's always been one of my favorite pokémon, so how could I best utilize him in a double team trick room battle?

Furthermore, what would be the sturdiest pokémon that could withstand a turn to use trick room? I was thinking of dusknoir for sturdiness or gengar for speed (though he'd seem kinda useless after the initial trick room).

I personaly like Brongzong. I like it's bulk, typing, and it's movepool is really nice. I like it's abilities, the abilities give a few options to work with depending on what you are looking to pair it with in a set of pick 4 of 6 team.

If you are looking to use Shuckle with Brongzong, trick room can do well if both go out in the lead.

Bronzong can be a physical or special attacker. With trick room in play, a physical attacker Brongzong using Gyro Ball while holding the onix tail(?) can be effective.

Shuckle can take a mean hit and live, then use Power Trick in the first turn. After trick room from brongzong, Shuckle will go first and have an attack stack that will make for some seriouse damage.

Natures for the two can very, and so can the move pool for the both. I can not really give a "full report" without knowing for sure what you plan to do team wise.

I do suggest looking into Brongzong though, it can be an awesome trick room partner.

Would bronzong be better than dusknoir? In the sense of surviving the first turn to use trick room that is? I've never actually played the VGC competitively, but I liked the idea of a trick room team.

I was thinking of something like:
Dusknoir/bronzong to use trick room
shuckle cuz its cool
rampardos for pure power
camerupt for a variety of moves eruption, earthquake, rock slide.
smeargle with fake out, spore, and something else
snorelax with belly drum

I also like Bronzong since a gyro ball with 0 spd and 0 iv can do some hurt. I also like to use level 1 shuppet holding focus sash :)

Metagross/Snorlax is a classic Belly Drum/Psych Up combo, as neither really share a common weakness exploitable through dual attacks and both are very bulky. Both are a bit slow, but can easily run through anything with their naturally high attack scores at +6.

@ desufnoc, can't use that Lv 1 Shuppet since everything is auto-leveled to 50.

Good Pokemon to set up Trick Room:
Chandelure
Jellicent
Cresselia
Dusclops
Reuniclus

Good Pokemon in a Trick Room:
Reuniclus
Rhyperior
Gastrodon
Scrafty
Hariyama
Heatran w/Eruption
Escavalier
Tyranitar
Abomasnow
Snorlax

Power Trick Shuckle is generally a bad idea. Too much physical priority attacks around so you'll get picked off easily even with Sturdy. Belly Drum + Psych Up is usable but you my find it difficult to set up and costly if you fail.

^^thanks team rocket elite

That's the kind of list I suppose I was looking for. I suppose a Rhyperior with lightning rod could help a dusclops not get thunder waved to almost ensure a T1 trick room.

Also, I am guessing that in a trick room, prankster and priority moves still get to work?

My friend won trick room at fall VG Regionals and got second place. He had some fast pokemonz holding power items to slow them down but I like my item. I suggest using a Pokémon to help set up. He used my eviolited Foongus, But Amoongus works to. You don't need them but I suggest it. And have the trick roomer hold a mental thingamawhasit so it cant get taunted. If your running a fragile tr user like Chandy use a focus sash on him. If you want his full team I can get it for you. And also, I love Scrafty in tr. Ice punch, fake out, drain punch and thunder punch really help.

Last edited by a moderator:
@thunderjolt:

Prankster increases move priority by 1.

Move priority is not changed by the effects of Trick Room, which only reverses the order of moves within a priority bracket. Increased priority moves still go first, and decreased priority moves still go last.

When a Pokémon uses a move, some held items and Abilities cause it to go last within its priority bracket, ignoring even Trick Room. The items Full Incense and Lagging Tail and the Ability Stall have this effect, but do not change the priority of any moves.

Hope this answers the question. Thank you Bulbapedia!

Instead of having a shuckle with power trick, what about power split? Provided that my opponent has a pokemon with a decent attack power, shuckle could use power split with gyro ball or maybe sludge bomb if they have a high special.

I'd rather just not have a shuckle prone to a bullet punch.

^^thanks team rocket elite

That's the kind of list I suppose I was looking for. I suppose a Rhyperior with lightning rod could help a dusclops not get thunder waved to almost ensure a T1 trick room.

Also, I am guessing that in a trick room, prankster and priority moves still get to work?

You'll likely run Solid Rock on Rhyperior. Thunder Wave is very unlikely to be used as an attempt to stop Trick Room so Lightningrod. Lightningrod could still be used if you have other Pokemon on the team that may benefit from it. The primary ways people interfere with Turn 1 Trick Room is Fake Out and Taunt. Sometimes Imprison is used and maybe even using Trick Room themselves to turn Trick Room off.

Prankster and Priority moves still go before normal moves under Trick Room. The slower Pokemon using a Priority will go before faster Pokemon using an equal Priority move, though.

Instead of having a shuckle with power trick, what about power split? Provided that my opponent has a pokemon with a decent attack power, shuckle could use power split with gyro ball or maybe sludge bomb if they have a high special.

I'd rather just not have a shuckle prone to a bullet punch.

Shuckle's attack stats will still be bad after a Power Split. I don't really think using Shuckle at all is a good idea. Life Orb Rhyperior isn't too much weaker and can use Swords Dance or Curse if you can find a spare turn to use a power up move.

Another good fit into Trick Room is Machamp:

Machamp
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Brave (+ Attack, - Speed)
252 Attack EV
128 HP EV
128 DEF. EV

Item: Iron ball (if you choose to use the Move Fling) OR Leftovers/Shell Bell/ Sitrus Berry (to keep him alive longer, but there are other options).

Moveset:
Earthquake
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Dynamichpunch(PP UP might work well on this move)
Fling/Protect

Hope I helped.

Back