Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

.trn file (1.06) what comes first...

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
...the Blaziken or the torchic.

OK, I can't upload my .trn file from the El Segundo CC. I get an error. I'm impatient and [email protected] hasn't written me back.

I decided to see if there was something wrong with the file, so I horked it into MSExcel (the best program they make, next to Squirrel server). Anyway,

ROUND 1 has the dates in the 8th column and subsequent round have the dates in the 7th column.

:mad: ?

OK, is it s'posed to be that way?

I don't want to do trial and error in case it makes my players rankings come out in 1800BC or something (not sure Abraham played, but he would have been a crack TO).

Everything else looks good with the file -- no extraneous or missing commas, quotes, etc. etc.

Any suggestions? BTW, this is the error I get:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ','.

/international/tournaments/tournaments_upload.asp, line 188

Anyone else getting the error? Is this because somehow I'm trying to upload on the International pages :fire: ;) :lightning

I have narry a clue. Can you drop me a line with the .TRN file attached so I can peek at it and see if I can find anything?

My email is in my profile or PM me via AIM.

bulbasnore said:
Any suggestions? BTW, this is the error I get:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ','.

/international/tournaments/tournaments_upload.asp, line 188

Anyone else getting the error? Is this because somehow I'm trying to upload on the International pages :fire: ;) :lightning

BTW, just so NoPoke & co. don't feel even worse (were the possible):

/tournaments/tournaments_upload.asp, line 213

I get the same err but a difft line. Now, how is it that coming one way I get intl and the other not. I know, 'tis the nature of travel.

Well, I took a look at the file and no dice. With the number of commas in the file, it's nigh on impossible to figure out what the SQL DB wants. Regardless, if you do encounter problems such as this, you can email me your files to look at. If we can't get them fixed, best bet is to email the file to [email protected].

you can email me the file if you wish... I've had to manually reconstruct a large tournament in Excel as it was just far to hard to manually pair 60 players each round.

It may be that the .TRN upload has been altered so that it accepts 1.07 which uses a different file format. But the last one I tried a few days ago was still a CSV file in disguise. 1.07 uses $07C (vertical Bar) as a seperator.

Ian

I had lots of trouble trying to submit my TRN report. Then I was told to run my Virus protections software then try to submit, guess what, worked like a charm. I ran Macafee, went to Pokemon to submit, and 30 seconds later, it was done.

I hope this helps.

Oh and 'snore we in the UK don't feel bad. At least not at the moment. So does that mean that you have some 'news' for us *big grin*. Its much more Laugh than Cry in the UK at the moment

Beware Excel tends to mangle date and time the csv file should still be ok though.

each match has the following report format...

<matchresult> ::=<player>,<player>,<outcome>,<time>,<date>,<round>

where both <player>s are of the same format:-

<player> ::=<POPID>,<firstname>,<surname>

so the time is in column 8 and the date in column 9

Last edited:
bulbasnore said:
/tournaments/tournaments_upload.asp, line 213
Bulbasnore, could you send me a copy of that file? SQL I know. I'd also like to see if I could gen up a PHP frontend to output the same format file.

Columns need to be the same thing throughout. If one field is missing a terminator, you'll get column shift which will b0rk the whole thing. Then if a column is expecting a specific data type, like a DATE, but gets a VARCHAR instead...badness. :nonono:

:unknown-b

SQL Humor:
> SELECT * FROM nintendo_coders WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned

NoPoke said:
1.07 uses $07C (vertical Bar) as a seperator.

Ian

Well, I'm glad to hear its more laugh than cry.

Thanks for the information about the change in the file format. Being a UNIX-head, we call vertical bar a PIPE.

I tried re-piping this file, but still can't get it to flow.

babayaga said:
SQL Humor:
> SELECT * FROM nintendo_coders WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned

Are you sure clue is INT? Maybe it is BLOB. In which case that result is even more heinous.

Anyway, very kind of you to have a look at my file. Or should I say files. DGL & I stayed up 'til like 1:30am his time trying a couple things:

1. Upload orig file. Kabam.
2. Swap the date behind the time column (it was that way for round 1, but not for 2-7).
3. As #2, but shorten the name of the tourney; repeat w/out _ in file name.
4. As #2, but pipe rather than comma separated.

2-4 Kabam!

I'll PM you and NoPoke with a location to download a zip of all four.

I give this disclaimer... I didn't edit the orig file, except to change its name in the O/S. #1 is the file as delivered by the program.

I'll PM NoPoke and you with the URL to download all 4!

BTW, your are my kind of coder, fearless and inventive ... that is exactly how _I_ would create a TMS -- use a browser for the interface w/ local RDBMS & WebServer to do the back end. Runs everywhere except Palm. But as the Perl mavens say TMTOWTDI.

Well I noticed the date time swap too...

have you tried changing the time format to a 24 hour clock rather than using the AM PM modifiers.

It may be a combination of the swap and presence of an unexpected 'AM' that is tripping up the back end!

assuming I have your email address correct then : You've Got Mail!

bulbasnore said:
Are you sure clue is INT? Maybe it is BLOB. In which case that result is even more heinous.
No, I'm pretty sure "clue" is TINYINT. ;)

3. As #2, but shorten the name of the tourney; repeat w/out _ in file name.
Hmm. Now it has spaces which perhaps aren't allowed with the data type? We'd have to know what the other end is expecting. But of course a proper GUI wouldn't let you input improper data.

Let me see if I understand the output:
ln 1: Tourney#,???,Tourney_Name,TO#?,TO_Name,TO_City,TO_State,TO_Ctry
ln2+: Winner#,Winner_First,Winner_Last,Loser#,Loser_First,Loser_Last,Age_Division,Time,Date,Round

The last line for round 1 is a bye, with loser 0,0,0. Or more properly, /n,/n,/n for SQL (methinks it might be better to output NULL than actual values). After that the date and time values are switched in the columns with the date now coming before the time. That does not make sense. Is there actually different code for the first round than the other rounds? I don't know why they are even worrying about date and time. It just opens up the door for More To Go Wrong. Both are complicated datatypes with many ways to format. I'd file a report in Bugzilla...oh, wait...we can't. ;)

Perhaps someone can submit more tournament files and we could compare ones that work vs. ones that don't. Do they all burp out switched dates/times on the second round? Or only after a Bye? Who's our contact at Nintendo for this? Is there anyone out there? :confused:

BTW, your are my kind of coder, fearless and inventive ... that is exactly how _I_ would create a TMS -- use a browser for the interface w/ local RDBMS & WebServer to do the back end. Runs everywhere except Palm. But as the Perl mavens say TMTOWTDI.
Ah, shucks. It's easy to be fearless and inventive when one is hacking on her own network at home. But imagine bundling a complete setup with Apache, MySQL and PHP that would install the complete tourney environ...no license fees and a robust system with OSS community support...

But that's too far out of the box, I guess!
;)

Beth the players aren't ordered by who won in the file. I believe that the <outcome> field has the following values

1: first player won
2: second player won
3: draw

there may be other options that we don't know of such as double loss

I don't think the TRN file captures age group.

------------

I have uploaded TRN with the date and time swapped part way through the tournament. All I can say is that the swap wasn't triggered by a BYE in my case.

Last edited:
babayaga said:
Ah, shucks. It's easy to be fearless and inventive when one is hacking on her own network at home. But imagine bundling a complete setup with Apache, MySQL and PHP that would install the complete tourney environ...no license fees and a robust system with OSS community support...

But that's too far out of the box, I guess!
;)

Oh no, its not too far. I haven't seen any indication yet that a solution that outputs a proper .TRN file would be rejected. Now, OTOH, Steve & Miguel are hot on the (Visual/Real)Basic trail and I'd like to see us all support their effort as they are further down the road.

So maybe we have to believe it when it says line one is the problem?

I cut my programming teeth on compiler design many years ago. Compiler error messages often take a bit of shall we say interpreting. But sometimes they really are on the money.

Line one indicates that it is a single elim tourney. maybe try changing it back to age modified

<sanctionid>,2,......etc

straw:clutch

Last edited:
Eureka!

NoPoke said:
So maybe we have to believe it when it says line one is the problem?

I cut my programming teeth on compiler design many years ago. Compiler error messages often take a bit of shall we say interpreting. But sometimes they really are on the money.

Thanks for continuing to think along with this issue.

Compiler message: As I read that, I believe it is saying the unexpected ',' is in the script not the data.

Single Elim: Well, we started with age mod & then went to two age group single elim.

Stand by...

Nope. Of course, I've somehow wandered over to the Int'l side and the error comes at a difft line number in the script... now that you mention it, I think somehow its choking on bad comma. Funny thing is...when I upload the vert bar (pipe) version of the file I get ... a different err message, no mention of comma. I wonder if my statement above about the err in the script is wrong...

OK, you sparked me. Success to the Brave! Its uploaded! (probably inside out, but accepted).

BAD
0403000217,0,El Segundo City Championships,170,Kim Cary,El Segundo,CA,USA

Also BAD
0403000217,0,El Segundo City Championships,170,Kim Cary,El Segundo,USA

GOOD
0403000217,0,City Championship,170,Kim Cary,ElSegundo,USA

I had to drop the state (I'll go back and see if that is something I put in where I shouldn't and
Take the space out of the city name!!!!

Horror!

Well, um er uh. It accepted the upload, but there are no results listed under details. How long does it take for the

player1 player2 winner

listings for each of the matches to appear in the tourney details. If its instantaneous, the egg has just hit the beater.

ooh thats new...

http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/international/tournaments/tournaments_detail.asp?tournament_id=0403000217

not seen that before

results are usually visible immediately

I think it may actually want the missing city/state/country

<first line> ::= <sanctionid>,<game format>,<title>,<TO POP ID>,<TO name>,<city>,<state>,<country>

I did wonder if perhaps it was insisting that the tournament name matched the sanctioned details. That wsa going to be my next suggestion but it seems that it is now all too late. Sanction up another tournament retrospectively and then upload the results to that one. Email tournaments and ask them to delete 0403000217.

If you know one of the players in the tournament check their details online and see if 04-03-000217 shows up on their list of tournaments.

Last edited:
Back