Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Trying to go back to the Ruby and Sapphire Days

Chompy

I wanted to show some of the kids a little background history on what decks were good back in the day, and why they were winning decks. Also, what was the last set in the RS-On format?

Decks that were popular back in the day.

Gardevoir/Delcatty/Wobbuffet SS

Blaziken/TA Manectric/Rayquaza ex

Swampert/Suicune ex

Kabutops ex

Slaking/Espeon SS

Team Magma

Sceptile/Slowbro

If there are any decks that I missed, let me know.

Last edited:
RS-On (the 2004-2005 season) included EX: Emerald and earlier sets... I think. My main source for this information is a timeline constructed by someone else that you can view here, but the creator was overzealous and included a "guess" for the then upcoming format of the 2012-2013 season. :rolleyes:

Kabutops ex should not be on this list. Kabutops/Steelix would be on a list for Neo cards, but this remake did not make the cut in this format. I don't know why but I would guess that the attack damage vs the flips no longer did well because of the higher HP on pokemon-ex.

Sceptile/Slowbro was a fun deck. Should not be on this list.

Slaking/Espeon SS, I never heard of that.

RAMBO and Gardevoir were really the top decks from the prior format, E-On. They survived format rotation and were still played, but in RS-On, ZapTurnDos (later ZRE) would have been the first next big deck, followed by Dragtrode and a clunky version of Rock-Lock with TRR. Ludicolo came next with Deoxys. Rock-Lock got better in the latter part of RS-On and then became good in the next modified. Early in the modified, "Monarchy" was played with but was a failed deck. Later, it would be shown that "Queendom" would have been a better focus due to its success at Worlds but it just didn't get too many looks prior to that (consider how Team magma took everyone by surprise).

I don't know if I would consider Team Magma "good." Yes, it won at worlds but after that it was not really played. It was more like a metagame decision that people were not ready for rather than a deck that proved itself over the course of several tournaments (either before or after). The consensus was that Team Aqua was a better all-around play. At US Nats, one theme deck sealed tournament with Team Aqua and Team Magma decks, Team Aqua was considered superior but in hindsight that was probably because no one knew how to play Team magma and simply let their prejudices win out. Maybe in Japan it did well, but I don't recall seeing it with any consistency at tournaments after Worlds except as a fun deck. Compare this to Queendom which did see play after the Worlds that it did well.

It may be useful to search the featured articles and tournament reports. Unlike older formats, this one and the one after it began a time of well-documentation of what was played. in articles, people will show match-ups, showing what decks were most likely to be faced (and therefore popular) as well as some random rogues.

Last edited:
Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot one of my favorite decks:

Liability.

Liability had few if any noteworthy tournament wins... but it wasn't a bad deck. Thankfully someone took it and went 8-0 at a Grinder to prove it wasn't just a "fun deck" people were over hyping. It was by no means the best deck in the format, but it was a good deck. Its biggest enemy was itself; it was hard to play and understandably a lot of skilled players just preferred something that didn't blow itself up.

The star of Liability decks was Weezing (EX: Deoxys 51/107). There were multiple options for partnering with it. I think the most successful was the "Acid Liability" variant, which used Victreebel (EX: Fire Red/Leaf Green 17/112) to ensure that you could trade a Stage 1 Pokémon with a single Energy for a guaranteed Prize. The deck also would make use of Desert Ruins to make it even easier to OHKO a Pokémon-ex. Due to EX: Deoxys (...this is the set that made me realize I had to underline set names =P) remaining Modified legal so long, there were other variants both before and after, as the deck was legal for three whole formats despite all years having proper rotations.

^Oh yeah, I remember that deck!

This was a great time in the game. E-On ended up being two dominant decks, but the RS-On metagame (and even the format after it, DX-On) was so wide open. Even though the decks I named dominated, there were so many deck ideas. Kind of like the latter DP era of the game. Lots of ideas and ways to make them functional. It was easier to make an experimental deck and take it to several events and expect to do decently or even well.

ShadowCard: Slaking/Espeon was basically a deck that can slow decks that relied heavily on Pokemon Powers. Espeon SS was in to OHKO decks like Flygon, Gardevoir, and other fighting type varients to cover Slakings weakness to fighting.

I do agree with you that DX-ON had a lot of different decks to choose from, and you couldn't even predict which deck would win an event. I wish that this format has more decks to choose from that all were equal in terms of functionality.

Back