Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Turbo Blastoise's Phenomenal TX Champs Report

Turbo Blastoise

Turbo Blastoise's TX State Championship Report

Got early at 6:30p.m, got dressed and stuff and headed out to pick up my buddy. We goofed around for about an hour and a half playing Pokemon: Colosseum (what a sweet game!). Anyway, took off about 8:20a.m. and headed for the event which took an hour to get to. I registered and everything and then the tournament started around 12:30. I decided to go for the sure thing and play Zap-Turn-Dos. So here’s the report.

Round 1: vs. *random person* (1-0)

This deck had D T-tar and some other sporadic stuff. I T2’ed him, he had a lone poke out so there’s not much to talk about here.

Round 2: vs. Diana Chambers (2-0)

Both of us ran Zappy so it was a pretty dynamic match. After trading KO’s on each others zapdos, she ran low on energy and she evolved her voltorb into electrode ex and then did Extra Energy Bomb. Sounds great and all except the only other pokemon in play was her active zappy. Of course, as we all know that’s illegal so she basically lost two prizes automatically. In the end, though, it probably didn’t matter anyway since she had like 1 energy on the field and I had a powered-up Zappy, a Manectric with I think 1 energy, and another Zappy in my hand. So in a couple turns, it was game.

Round 3: vs. Johnny Kettler (2-1)

I knew this was going to be interesting. He played D. Amphy/D. Tar, a deck that is widely recognized to beat Zappy probably about 80% of the time. I got set up T2 and nailed a couple of his pokes. Than, uh ooh, he brought up his Pupitar and played Celio’s. D. Amphy comes out and the slaughter begins. After he took down 2 zappy’s, the match was pretty much over.

30 minute lunch. It took forever to get my food at Sonic but when I got it, I crammed it down as fast as I could. Immediately after I eat, the pairings for Round 4 are up.

Round 4: vs. Tom Chambers (3-1)

He played Sceptile. Now why anyone would play Sceptile or any other grass deck in the metagame now (except Crobat ex maybe) is a mystery to me. Anyway, he went first and got a Wurmple and did the whole full bench thing. I go 2nd and I Steven’s Advice for 6. I get a Zappy something I did not get in my initial hand and pretty much everything else that I could possibly want. I T2 Zappy and I pick off his pokes one by one. I think the best thing he got was a Grovyle with one energy. Wow! I’m scared already.

Round 5: vs. Ty Walraven (3-2)

Yet, another Zappy deck. Worse yet, my only Zappy start for me of the tournament. Terrible!!! Terrible!!! He went first and got set up. I don’t think I could have won anyway since he practically got a god hand from the start. So he T2’ed me and that was pretty much that.

Round 6: vs. Veronica (4-2)

At this point, I thought to myself, gosh this is it, I better win this or else no hot pockets or internet access for me for a month!!! This was it, I needed a 4-2 record to get in. And get in I did!!! She ran a Blaze deck. She went first and had no energy to start for 2 turns. I T2’ed her and knocked out her Sparce. She sent up Torchic and burned me. I knocked that out next turn and I think all she had was a lone skitty. So that was game.

After Swiss, we cut to T16. I went 8th seed, middle of the pack basically which suited me fine. It was elimination best 2/3. Really, in the end, though it’s not about what seed you are but where that seed plants you. In other words, which opponent and what kind of matchup you’re up against is all that really matters at this point. So here’s the elimination rounds.

T16 Match: vs. Jose (Gardevoir/Metagross/R’s Mewtwo) Deck

1-0- Got a good setup the whole T2 thing plus I got both my Manectric’s up and running just in case I might need them. And I did, after I KO’ed 3 of their pokes while he was scrambling to set up, he then sends out his Rocket’s Mewtwo ex and uses Metagross’s power to put a psychic on Mewtwo and then he attaches one and then after that my turn. I draw and then bust him for 50. His turn he does his darkness switch stuff. Next turn, I play Reversal get a heads and then I switch out his Metagross and then I KO it in 2 turns. He then sends out his Mewtwo and does it to me again! I bust him again for 50. Next turn, he retreats Mewtwo for some reason, I by the way have 2 NRG’s on Manectric ex. Next turn, I mega shot Mewtwo for the win.

2-0- Almost the same scenario as above. Except he T2 GEX’s me. I had to scramble a bit at first but I successfully pulled 2 Zappy’s with a dual ball. I then did my thing. I KO’ed his GEX and then 2 of his other pokes and then he did the whole Mewtwo darkness switch again. Urrgh! Got annoying! I just did like last time, tapped his Mewtwo with my Zappy and then sent up ManEX for the kill

T8 Match: vs. Ty Walraven (Zap-Turn Dos) Deck

1-0- Well, I lost to him in the Swiss so I was a bit worried. He went first and T2’ed me. I had a elekid up front and EXP. All on my electrike so as a result I was able to T2 his T2 LOL!!! Still though, he brought up a couple turns later another Zappy so I scrambled and a couple turns later I countered him with my ManEX. After 3 or 4 turns with that, I brought up Zappy and he had nothing else so I won!

1-1- Similar to last game, he T2’ed me. I hit him back and take down his next 2 Zappy’s in similar fashion to last game. At the very end, though, I thought I had him when he out of it seems sheer luck he Pokenav’ed one turn got the energy he needed and then next turn got the TrodeEX. Since there was nothing else in my hand (1 prize left) or on the field that I could do, I knocked out his Elekid. He send up TrodeEX for the game.

2-1- Wow! These Zap games are starting to get very predictable. Same thing as above, I go first though this time, and I T2 his Elekid. After I knock out a Voltorb the next turn, he sends up Zap and takes down my Zap. I bring up ManEX and use disconnect. The following turn, I bring out another Zap. He tried to get a Zap but his one Dual Ball failed him. So my Zap burned through everything else that he had wooo (*sigh of relief)

T4 Match vs. Big-fat San Antonio guy (Blaze/Moltres ex) Deck

1-0- Interesting deck. And I thought I had seen all the Blaze variants out there! This one in particular ran standard blaze stuff and something I hadn’t seen before in Blaze, Moltres ex. I heard earlier how much trouble it had been giving his earlier opponents. The thing was though that out of his 8 previous matches, he had not faced one single Zapdos deck. That probably explains why he went undefeated. So I was eager to see how Zapdos would do against him. Anyway, the first round went quick. I got T2 Zappy. He got Moltres ex and Blaze Firestarter. I reversaled 3rd turn his Blaze and tapped it. He played HPS and retreated it for one so he could attack with Moltres ex. I played a Dual Ball and got two tails. Man, I knew that was going to happen at some point! I then played Steven’s Advice. He had 3 pokes at the time so 3 cards. BAM! Another Dual Ball, I play it and one heads. So I go for another Zappy! I take down his MoltEX and after that I bring out another Zappy and so it was pretty much game.

2-0- He starts with MoltEX. I get out Zappy T2 again! (I bet you are wondering by now how many more times am I going to be able to do this!!!) I simply blow by this deck this round. I knock out MoltEX and his Blaze almost unchallenged. After that, it was basically over! Yeah Final 2!!!

T2 Match vs. Johnny Kettler *go figure* (Dark Amphy/Dark T-Tar) Deck

0-1- If I had to choose, I would have rather had the finals match be between me and Clay but instead I had to settle for Kettler (no offense or anything). After taking a much needed 10 minute breather and the Chambers getting me some water after looking well dehydrated, me and Kettler battled for the top, the pinnacle of excellence that is TOTAL AND COMPLETE VICTORY!!! Anyway, that didn’t happen well at least for me, he got out D. Amphy and crushed me plain and simple. Poor Zap. I gusted out one of his Pidgey’s to try to slow him down but to no avail 2 turns later he just layed another one down. So in a nutshell, I got basically got screwed by D. Amphy!

0-2- This was it! My path to glory and destiny ended! I got Zappy turn 2 but only after getting 2 tails from Dual Ball and top decking a zappy. Anyway, he just T3 or 4 (can’t remember) a D. Amphy after I knocked out 1 or 2 of his pokes, and since I had nothing to get any Zappy’s or anything else for that matter out, it was over, it was all over!!!

Well, in the end, I didn’t achieve my aim of total Texas domination but I probably came much closer to it than I ever thought possible! Although I didn’t get 1st, I had such a good time and such a blast and heck, at least I made the finals!!! This was such a great Tourney, probably the best I’ve been to in a long, long time probably the best ever!!! I feel proud to be part of a great community of players, people who are very supportive and postitive. And I appreciate playing this great game and I hope it continues to grow and flourish and that we can enjoy many great tourneys like this now and for many years to come! And yes, Clay, yes we will one day have our climatic matchup, I can see it now, me and Clay battling it out in the finals at next year’s TX state!!! And Kettler, I eagerly await our next match in the future. (*evil vampiric laugh)

Some Quick Props and Slops:

Props:
-States being in Houston this year
-Beating both Chambers (husband and wife) in the same tourney
-Seth actually acting somewhat sane (well, as sane as can be expected)
-Making T2 at State!
-Being the top Houston player in the tourney

Slops:
-Losing to Kettler (what else did you expect me to say?)

Until next time!

Last edited:
Haha, ole Aggronblaster/Seth is VERY sane from what it seems. I didn't recognize him at ALL when I saw him o_O""""

Yeah, fun stuff, and great job getting 2nd! Our matchup reminded me a little bit of when me and Clay duked it out for Richardson City Champion. Good luck at next states, and you'll get your climactic matchup with Clay...in the swiss rounds! LOL ;)

Nice meetin' ya, and GL at your next tourney.

Seth sane? *stratches head* You sure? Well more sane than I've seen before!!=D

Anyways, great job placing 2nd and it was a marvelous match to watch (even though I could barely see, and darted off half-way through the match!! =D)

Hope you do this good in further tourneys!!

~~~Tracy Cho~~~

Seth Sane?
We had to tell him to shut up a few times lol..
The day Seth is sane wow I might win something XD

Back