Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Turn 2 Kricketune'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regis_Neo

Funny name huh? Anyways, this is my original deck idea for a quick, turn-2 deck that can lay the smackdown quickly and painfully.

Kricketune'd, Version 4

Pokemon: 8

4x Kricketot
4x Kricketune

Trainers: 38

4x Great Ball
4x Fast Ball
4x Castaway
3x Night Maintenance
3x Island Hermit
3x TV Reporter
3x Celio's Network
3x Plus Power
2x Pokemon Fan Club
2x Team Galactic's Wager
2x Warp Point
2x Cessation Crystal
2x Strength Charm
1x Professor Rowan

Energy: 14
4 Double Rainbow Energy
10 Grass Energy

Strategy:
Basically, it's a simple turn 2 deck, which can deal from 70-80 damage providing you have a bench of Kricketot/Kricketune. Holon Mentor, Great Ball, and Fast Ball, and Kricketot's Call for Family ensures you can fill the bench quickly by Turn 2. Fast Ball also has the added benefit of being able to dig out both Kricketot and Kricketune. Castaway grabs more Kricketot, a basic energy, and either Cessation Crystal (shuts down opposing Poke-Powers and Bodies), Strength Charm (for that extra 10 damage should you be needing it immediately) or Buffer Piece (for perhaps that bit of extra protection to live through an OHKO). Night Maintenance lets you recycle fallen Kricketot/Kricketune into the deck and be drawn out again via Mentor, Fast Ball, or Great Ball quickly to maximize Kricketune's Concerto attack again.

Ideas from other players that have been posted in the thread:
Time Space Disortion is superior to Night Maintenance, and should be played over it should you have any
Victory Medal (if you have any) can also be put in
Absol EX gives damage spread and more late-game punch
POP5 Mew as a tech
Battle Frontier as a Stadium of choice
Mantyne/Mantine Tech for Infernape match-ups
Latilock as a 1-1 tech

Last edited:
Rare candies and victory medal for a turn one KO? What about that pokéhandydex card? That should help with speed. 100 for 2 energy is intense and turn two should happen so many times! With no rare candy, why play double rainbow? With castaway you should get the energies on asap. Also consider strength charm and speed stadium.

Consider putting in Energy Search to thin your deck.

Energy Search is redundant, as it can't search for DRE and it is a waste of space somewhat. There's no real need to thin the deck faster, as I've nearly maximized the necessary cards to ensure a full bench anyways.

Rare candies and victory medal for a turn one KO? What about that pokéhandydex card? That should help with speed. 100 for 2 energy is intense and turn two should happen so many times! With no rare candy, why play double rainbow? With castaway you should get the energies on asap. Also consider strength charm and speed stadium.

Unfortunantly, I don't think most people have spare Victory Medals (including myself), so if you have them by all means use them. I considered Rare Candy, but there really isn't any spare room unless you ditch Carnivine or some energy, and even then you won't be hitting them Turn 1 due to the new DP rules anyways. Double Rainbow is used because Kricketune is a Stage 1, and thus can be powered with it alone, with the Grass energy used to power benched ones. Strength Charm is counter-productive if you run Cessation Crystal to be fetched via Castaway (1 Tool attachment only anyways) and Plus Power is basically a better Strength Charm anyways. Speed Stadium is another good idea, but once again I just don't see how much spare room can be made.

Try this
Pokemon (12)
3-4 Chingling (Searches out Mentor for T2 full bench)
1 Chimeco (optional)
4 Kricketot
4 Kricketune

Energy (14)
10 Grass
4 DRE

Trainser (34)
4 Reversal/ER2 (I like Reversal better)
4 Mentor
4 Pluspower
4 Cessation Crystal
4 Fast Ball
3 Castaway
3 Celios
2 Scott
2 Stevens
2 Night Maintenance
2 Great Ball

imo,the deck is kool.
seems very reliable,but ussually you dont want to mentor as id think you'd want to great ball and fast ball so you can actually search for kricketune.

I like your list also Professor Elm, but is Reversal reprinted for HP-On? I wasn't sure.

imo,the deck is kool.
seems very reliable,but ussually you dont want to mentor as id think you'd want to great ball and fast ball so you can actually search for kricketune.

Well, that's why I also had Celio's in there to specifically search for Kricketune if needed. Mentor is great as it ensures you will fill the bench with the Kricketot. (1 active hopefully to start with, the other 3 obtained via Mentor).

Keep the comments coming!

Energy Search is redundant, as it can't search for DRE and it is a waste of space somewhat. There's no real need to thin the deck faster, as I've nearly maximized the necessary cards to ensure a full bench anyways.

Castaway sort of does this

Unfortunantly, I don't think most people have spare Victory Medals (including myself)

One of my friends has 6, because he is 1337.

, so if you have them by all means use them. I considered Rare Candy, but there really isn't any spare room unless you ditch Carnivine or some energy, and even then you won't be hitting them Turn 1 due to the new DP rules anyways.

If you go second? It does allow you to run a 1-0-1 tech if needs arise.

Double Rainbow is used because Kricketune is a Stage 1, and thus can be powered with it alone, with the Grass energy used to power benched ones.

Just try it without for a few games, and I will too. I'm simply convinced that a two energy attack in a mono deck should not need double rainbow. Lunatone is similar, that never needed double rainbow.

Strength Charm is counter-productive if you run Cessation Crystal to be fetched via Castaway (1 Tool attachment only anyways) and Plus Power is basically a better Strength Charm anyways.

No, because pluspower cannot be searched and is of limited situational use anyhow ie. you only want it when searched for in the appropriate matchup. +10 in a speed deck could really sway the speed in your favour. versus decks without powers or bodies, you want something to search for. Oh and strength charm can't be windstormed! Crystal shard is the other almighty tech IMO.

Speed Stadium is another good idea, but once again I just don't see how much spare room can be made.

Take out draw? Surely you want to spend supporters on searching kriketune. Anyhow, use copycat along with cards that can simply be played such as ER2. That way when you reshuffle, nothing's going back into your deck and you get better draw.

I really love the deck concept, I'll be the first to practice and tweak it to perfection :thumb:

BTW I'd run Latios ex. He does good versus Infernape with the right support and he's a good starter (though not perfect starter as you want as many krickys as possible.

This deck is new age Lunarock!!

Magic_Umbreon said:
Castaway sort of does this

Duh? That's why I have it. Energy Search is just more limited, and 14 should be sufficient. Besides, I never ran any in Lunasol.

Magic_Umbreon said:
One of my friends has 6, because he is 1337.

Good for him? Like I said, if you can get Victory medals to use, use them.

Magic_Umbreon said:
If you go second? It does allow you to run a 1-0-1 tech if needs arise.

Well even then, isn't it a long shot of having the Candy, the evo, and a bench of Kricketot with DRE? It might be worth considering, but remember that the HP-On metagame is still unknown.

Magic_Umbreon said:
Just try it without for a few games, and I will too. I'm simply convinced that a two energy attack in a mono deck should not need double rainbow. Lunatone is similar, that never needed double rainbow.

The point of the DRE is that it immediately powers up Kricketune, so that you don't spend 2 turns powering him up. And Lunasol never used DRE because Lunatone CAN'T use DRE since it's a basic. That was a downpoint when I played Lunasol, in that Lunatone requires 2 turns before it can attack. With Kricketune, if you have the DRE you can attack from the get-go and still do a modest 70 damage.

Magic_Umbreon said:
No, because pluspower cannot be searched and is of limited situational use anyhow ie. you only want it when searched for in the appropriate matchup. +10 in a speed deck could really sway the speed in your favour. versus decks without powers or bodies, you want something to search for. Oh and strength charm can't be windstormed! Crystal shard is the other almighty tech IMO.

Crystal Shard might be worth looking into depending on how many decks have Colorless weakness. But still, you'll want Cessation Crystal attached to Kricketune more often than not to slow down the opponent. You can't have both on Kricketune sadly...

Magic_Umbreon said:
Take out draw? Surely you want to spend supporters on searching kriketune. Anyhow, use copycat along with cards that can simply be played such as ER2. That way when you reshuffle, nothing's going back into your deck and you get better draw.

Well, even then Speed Stadium is iffy at best, and personally I roll a lot more Tails then Heads. If you want to, feel free to use it.

I really love the deck concept, I'll be the first to practice and tweak it to perfection :thumb:

BTW I'd run Latios ex. He does good versus Infernape with the right support and he's a good starter (though not perfect starter as you want as many krickys as possible.

This deck is new age Lunarock!!

Yeah, that's the only problem with Latios EX...it'd suck if you had him to start. But worth considering. And I'm going to be the one who practices and tweaks it to perfection first! :p

maxing out at 80 isn't amazingly appealing, and unlike banette it has a(n atleast somewhat) bad weakness and no shady move... once you get passed the first 2-3 OHKOs the deck seems to go downhill, and I suspect Scramble to be a big player next format

this is just like Speed Ban,its funny how decks are similiar.

Victory medal is good in here,get a four set and its good to go.

maxing out at 80 isn't amazingly appealing, and unlike banette it has a(n atleast somewhat) bad weakness and no shady move... once you get passed the first 2-3 OHKOs the deck seems to go downhill, and I suspect Scramble to be a big player next format

I agree that 80 HP max is bad. I was looking at Unown E (Power lets you attach it and gain +10 HP), but that just isn't worth it I think. Shame Energy Root is out due to rotation.

this is just like Speed Ban,its funny how decks are similiar.

Victory medal is good in here,get a four set and its good to go.

Geez, what is with everyone and Victory Medal? Like I keep saying, your average person DOES NOT have 4 Victory Medals, and probably isn't willing to shell out $80 on Ebay for one. So once again, if you got them, go ahead and use them, but don't keep bring it up.

If anything play Pokedex Handy 910is

IT is MUCH more consistent than Victory Medal. You could play 4 of those in place of the 4 ER2.

Duh? That's why I have it. Energy Search is just more limited, and 14 should be sufficient. Besides, I never ran any in Lunasol.

NRG search is just there to thin your deck. You play it where you would have played an nrg anyway. It's just something to try I suppose.

Good for him? Like I said, if you can get Victory medals to use, use them.

Well even then, isn't it a long shot of having the Candy, the evo, and a bench of Kricketot with DRE? It might be worth considering, but remember that the HP-On metagame is still unknown.

I understand your sceptisism, that's why they're suggestions not "You must play this" sort of comments. By having a list of ideas and filtering it through playtesting, you should achieve a good deck.

The point of the DRE is that it immediately powers up Kricketune, so that you don't spend 2 turns powering him up. And Lunasol never used DRE because Lunatone CAN'T use DRE since it's a basic. That was a downpoint when I played Lunasol, in that Lunatone requires 2 turns before it can attack. With Kricketune, if you have the DRE you can attack from the get-go and still do a modest 70 damage.

LOL I know double rainbow doesn't work on Lunatone, I meant he didn't need it as such.

Crystal Shard might be worth looking into depending on how many decks have Colorless weakness. But still, you'll want Cessation Crystal attached to Kricketune more often than not to slow down the opponent. You can't have both on Kricketune sadly...

I do understand, but again it's simply options for the deck and choice is always useful.

Well, even then Speed Stadium is iffy at best, and personally I roll a lot more Tails then Heads. If you want to, feel free to use it.

Don't factor your previous experience into the deck. If your playing style involves more secure cards you can rely on, then play it that way, but understand there are differening opinions.

Yeah, that's the only problem with Latios EX...it'd suck if you had him to start. But worth considering. And I'm going to be the one who practices and tweaks it to perfection first! :p

LOL the whole point of Latios ex is to stop mulligans. Speed and disruption is worthless if tehy draw a lot from mulligan. You can only have 4 max krikkys at a time, so you can simply mentor or dual ball/fast ball some onto your bench and retreat for free, while maintaining an option for it Infernape's there. Obviously, this strategy requires a tech water energy or two for castaway and energy search but it looks OK.

You max at 120 actually. Whether or not the supply of fast balls and night maintenace is insufficent is something I'd have to witness. It looks simple to copycat on an empty hand then use your new trainers.

I agree that 80 HP max is bad. I was looking at Unown E (Power lets you attach it and gain +10 HP), but that just isn't worth it I think. Shame Energy Root is out due to rotation.

Unown is really bad, plus you could start with it.

Geez, what is with everyone and Victory Medal? Like I keep saying, your average person DOES NOT have 4 Victory Medals, and probably isn't willing to shell out $80 on Ebay for one. So once again, if you got them, go ahead and use them, but don't keep bring it up.

No I shall continue to bring it up!! It's a playable card in format, so it si to be considered in evaluating a deck! If you're strapped for cash, bad luck.

If anything play Pokedex Handy 910is

IT is MUCH more consistent than Victory Medal. You could play 4 of those in place of the 4 ER2.

Yep, or you could experiment playing both, but I like your suggestions.

Geez...for the last time Magic_Umbreon, though Victory Medal is a legitimate, playable card in the format, I built this deck in mind for the common person who doesn't have 4 Victory Medals or any friends who they can suck up to for them. So if you want to keep bringing it up so bad, make your own topic with it >.>

Aside from that, any more comments?

In the UK, Mew POP5s were harder to obtain than vic medals at one point, but no-one discarded the idea of teching a mew pop5 simply because they were in short supply.

However, I will respect your wishes and post a replacement for the card in any future posts I make for those who do not have access. Sorry to cause bother.

pokedex>victory medal? idk which is better but it doesn't matter because they both thin the deck effectively. I do agree with magic umbreon about the DRE though. Definitely add basic grass for those.

Oh, and Magic Umbreon this maxes at 80 without PP/strangth charm.

pokedex>victory medal? idk which is better but it doesn't matter because they both thin the deck effectively. I do agree with magic umbreon about the DRE though. Definitely add basic grass for those.

Oh, and Magic Umbreon this maxes at 80 without PP/strangth charm.

DRE is necessary for auto-powering a Kricketune in the event you find yourself without the necessary Grass energy, Not only is it not a guarantee you will have a Grass energy every turn, but DRE also safeguards in the event your Kricketunes are getting OHKOed left and right and you can't waste time to power each one up. Besides, what else can you possibly put in besides DRE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back