Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Two Part Question -- Special Metal Energy/Darkness Energy

Akimbo

A friend and I are having a debate on Special Metal Energy.

I'll use Dialga G for an example. It has a base HP of 100 and weakness of Fire x2. Let's say it has four special Metal energy attached and it is attacked by a fire Pokemon for 50 damage.

My friend says that Dialga G, with four special metal energy attached, is KO'd because the attack is doubled and it reached his base HP of 100, thus the four special energy does not come in to affect.

I think that the four special Metal energy will reduce the 100 damage attack by forty, bringing the damage done to Dialga G, after calculating the weakness, down to 60 damage because of the four special metal energy attached. Thus Dialga G remains with 40 HP.

I'll quote the special metal energy for reference:

Damage done to the Pokémon Metal Energy is attached to is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance). If the Pokémon Metal Energy is attached to isn't M, whenever it damages a Pokémon, reduce that damage by 10 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

Metal Energy provides Energy. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card.)

Which one of us is right?

Also, another question regarding Weavile, SW and Special Darkness Energy.

Special Darkness Energy reads as follows:
If the Pokémon Darkness Energy is attached to damages the Defending Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance), the attack does 10 more damage to the Defending Pokémon. At the end of every turn, put 1 damage counter on the Pokémon Darkness Energy is attached to, unless it's D or has Dark in its name.

Darkness Energy provides D Energy. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card.)

Weavile, SW's Poke-Power reads as follows:

Dark Engage - Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this power. Each of your Active Pokémon's type is D until the end of your turn. If that Pokémon is no longer your Active Pokémon, this effect ends.

My question is this: if I have a special Darkness energy attached to something like Flygon, and use Weavile's Dark Engage, would Flygon take 10 damage at the end of my turn, or would Dark Engage allow me to use the special Darkness Energy and not take the 10 damage at the end of my turn? Which happens first?

For Dialga, the attack would do (50x2)-40=60 damage.
Dialga would survive.

The text you have for Special Dark is very old and is no longer the correct text to use.
Here is a current version of the card:
[gal=45554]Darkness Energy special[/gal]
Even if you are playing with old cards and in Unlimited, you must use this new text.

Since the text you are concerned about no longer applies, the question is moot.

Back