Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Types of Decks for Juniors

lumenii

Hi.

My son is 8, and I am thinking of taking him to a State Tournament in a couple of weeks. I am wondering what sort of decks are best for Juniors, and what sort of competition is he likely to face.

He currently is pretty good, it seems to me, and seems to be picking up the strategy, but is by no means as good yet at the intricacies as some of the older kids. He can sometimes hold his own at our local league, but is far more interested in fun than winning at this point. Still, we have three Pokémon Catchers, and he pulled a Keldeo EX a couple of weeks ago. We also have a couple Blastoise. Would a "Blastoise/Keldeo Lite" work for a juniors deck at State Tournaments? Or are the juniors decks usually just as tough (and as expensive) as the older kids and adults have?

He has mentioned wanting to buy one of the Keldeo tins to beef up the deck if we decide to go. Good idea? Necessary? Or is that just overkill?

Lastly, is the Blastoise/Keldeo deck one you would recommend for a younger player? It seems to me to have the potential to be powerful and simple, which is why I think he made a good choice. But if you were to recommend a deck for a 1st year Junior, what would you go with?

Thanks,

Dan

I would definitly go with Blastoise/Keldeo if you have the cards for it. I would recommend at least two Keldeo, if not three. Mewtwo-EX is also pretty necessary, you can get one for about $8. I would recommend three Keldeo and two Mewtwo, or three Mewtwo and two Keldeo. Both have been kniwn to work very well. I would also grab another Blastoise, they shouldn't be very expensive, maybe $10 at most. Here is a skeleton list for Blastoise/Keldeo, but be warned, I have only played a few games with Blastoise/Keldeo.

Pokemon-13
3 Keldeo-EX
3 Blastoise BCR
1 Wartortle BCR
4 Squirtle BCR
2 Mewtwo-EX

T/S/S- 29
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
3 Colress
3 Rare Candy
3 Pokemon Catcher (4 is better, though)
4 Energy Retrieval
1 Computer Search/Dowsing Machine
3 Ultra Ball
1 Pokemon Center

Energy- 12
12 Water Energy

Total= 54

In the extra slots, I would add another Pokemon Catcher, possibly a Cilan, and some simple, easy to use cards. Now, keep in mind, I am not a Blastoise/Keldeo expert, I just thought I'd give you a place to start.

I would definitly go with Blastoise/Keldeo if you have the cards for it. I would recommend at least two Keldeo, if not three. Mewtwo-EX is also pretty necessary, you can get one for about $8. I would recommend three Keldeo and two Mewtwo, or three Mewtwo and two Keldeo. Both have been kniwn to work very well. I would also grab another Blastoise, they shouldn't be very expensive, maybe $10 at most. Here is a skeleton list for Blastoise/Keldeo, but be warned, I have only played a few games with Blastoise/Keldeo.

Pokemon-13
3 Keldeo-EX
3 Blastoise BCR
1 Wartortle BCR
4 Squirtle BCR
2 Mewtwo-EX

T/S/S- 29
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
3 Colress
3 Rare Candy
3 Pokemon Catcher (4 is better, though)
4 Energy Retrieval
1 Computer Search/Dowsing Machine
3 Ultra Ball
1 Pokemon Center

Energy- 12
12 Water Energy

Total= 54

In the extra slots, I would add another Pokemon Catcher, possibly a Cilan, and some simple, easy to use cards. Now, keep in mind, I am not a Blastoise/Keldeo expert, I just thought I'd give you a place to start.

How about, you know, another stadium? One Pokemon Center won't stop Hypnobank from wrecking your day and KOing your Keldeos. You need at LEAST two.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 03/04/2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

As for my suggestion for a 1st year deck, Hammertime, all day and night. You still need a Keldeo for it, but it should be fairly successful with all the Klinklang to be expected.

But yes. Blastoise Keldeo should be fine. It's pretty autopilot.

I would recommend another Rare Candy to, because its important to get Blastoise out quickly. I understand if you guys dont have, or have the money, but Tropical Beach is a great card if you can get your hands on them. Hope I helped you and your son out :)

I wouldn't suggest Beach unless you have a friend to borrow from that went to Worlds or are rich, though. It's pretty expensive.

Thus Pokemon Center or even Battle City are good substitutes.

And yeah, the more candy the better.

To answer one of your other questions, I think that giving a Juniors player a deck that can compete in high-level play is fine. Using a weaker version when you can get a better one doesn't make much sense, as long as the concept is simple enough. As other players have stated, Blastoise Keldeo is fine. If I were to recommend a deck to a random, new Junior player, I'd probably go with Blastoise/Keldeo or maybe a "Big Basics" type approach where the goal is to simply abuse the opponent and score solid damage on most Pokemon.

To answer one of your other questions, I think that giving a Juniors player a deck that can compete in high-level play is fine. Using a weaker version when you can get a better one doesn't make much sense, as long as the concept is simple enough. As other players have stated, Blastoise Keldeo is fine. If I were to recommend a deck to a random, new Junior player, I'd probably go with Blastoise/Keldeo or maybe a "Big Basics" type approach where the goal is to simply abuse the opponent and score solid damage on most Pokemon.

I was actually going to suggest Big Basics. Literally the most expensive part is Tornadus EXes, and you dont even have to run those (although I guess Landorus EX isn't much cheaper).

Big Basics pokemon (optional are in parentheses

Mewtwo
Landorus EX
(Tornadus EX)
(Terrakion EX)
(Terrakion NVI)
Bouffalant [Bouffer]
(Sigilyph DRX)
ONE Shaymin EX

Pick like 2 optional and you should be on your way.

Because Mewtwo comes in tins, that's a good move as far as cost.

What about Rayeels? I know it's pretty cheap, but do you think it would work in Juniors?

Because Mewtwo comes in tins, that's a good move as far as cost.

What about Rayeels? I know it's pretty cheap, but do you think it would work in Juniors?

Rayeels is one of those decks that you need a bit of practice with to use well, because every build is different. If he is willing to practice and test, go for it! (personal plug) But no srsly. If he is willing to test quite a bit and get good with it, Rayeels is a very good deck.

Darkrai is not ideal for a first year junuor because it does take a LOT of strategy and practice, especially something likd Hammertime.

However, my picks for you are:

Blastpony (really autopilot and simple)
Big Basics (what I learned with starting in Masters)
Rayeels (make sure he practices because knowing is half the battle)
Eeltwo/Zekeels (good beginner deck, minimal strategy just load up a Mewtwo or Zekrom and blast faces in)

Decks not to run as a firstyear:

Ho-Oh (Kinda difficult to learn, has some really bad matchups, one being Blastpony, and every KO has to count.

Darkrai [Hammertime Variants] (kinda tricky to get the hang of)

Garbodor (pretty different from most decks)

Klinklang (expensive, tanky, and hasn't been tournament tested in the US yet)

Hope I helped a bit!

Thanks to all who replied

I appreciate the help. It sounds like it isn't overkill to send the little guy in with a big deck, anyway. I was envisioning a bunch of kids in the Juniors with little more than theme decks. Sounds like that won't happen, and the Juniors is a pretty competitive division too. Excellent.

I got a late preorder in on two Keldeo tins for $12.50 each, which I thought was pretty decent, and so we will have three Keldeo. I think we can also either buy or borrow another Blastoise from someone at league. And we have a promo Mewtwo as well. Should be able to get something going with that.

Cheers,

Dan

I appreciate the help. It sounds like it isn't overkill to send the little guy in with a big deck, anyway. I was envisioning a bunch of kids in the Juniors with little more than theme decks. Sounds like that won't happen, and the Juniors is a pretty competitive division too. Excellent.

I got a late preorder in on two Keldeo tins for $12.50 each, which I thought was pretty decent, and so we will have three Keldeo. I think we can also either buy or borrow another Blastoise from someone at league. And we have a promo Mewtwo as well. Should be able to get something going with that.

Cheers,

Dan

No problem! Hope he has fun!

And dont worry. You will see theme decks. They are pretty inevitable, but not even close tto the majority.

Keldeo/Blastoise is a great chocie for a junior as my brother is one and played this deck for cities. As long as you keep the deck consistent it will be easy to understand and should be a lot of fun!

Back