Rambo

Tyraniboah​

Article by: Ben P.
Title: Tyraniboah
Date: 11th April 2011
Latest set released: Call of Legends
Current Format: MD on.

The history of me and this deck:

Lock decks have always intrigued me, as they are rarely played, apart from Sablock of course, but are very effective. You always see the top decks being cards that dish out unbelievable amounts of damage per turn, even the BLS Deck, which won Worlds in 2006, had the same idea. So I thought, why not merge the two together?

The problem wasn't what lock cards to use, the problem was finding an attacker that could compare to those of the current metagame. I kept trying different options of different types, varying from SP Pokémon, to Charizard and all over the place. I was about to give up deciding that this was the reason that lock decks aren't as common. But then I saw someone playing Tyranitar Prime. At first I thought nothing of it, but then I saw the Weavile and Mesprit in the deck, which intrigued me. I later asked to play against him, using my LuxChomp deck that I'm very familiar with, and after taking a 3 Prize lead early on, he retaliated by taking 6 straight prizes with T-Tar Prime. Every time I tried to do anything, he used Weavile, or Mesprit to foil my strategy.
So here I was, an experienced LuxChomp player, losing to a 12 year old boy, using a Tyranitar deck.

The sad thing was, his list wasn't even that thought through, for example he didn't even include Seekers. I later asked why he has some of the cards he does, and he replied, "Because I had spare space", yet here I am, struggling to fit everything I want to in, I'm not sure how the kid does it.
The deck, contrary to what I thought is actually very consistent, as I thought he may have won to a good start. You pretty much always get what you need out, and if you have a bad hand, there's usually a way to use Spiritomb to your advantage to get out what you need or stall until you can do so.

Before starting the article, I would like to point out that this deck was built so that it is adaptable from the current format to the next rotation, when it takes place. A lot of the cards will go, but at the same time a lot of cards will go from lots of major decks, so the change will be of about the same scale, if not less. The new rules Pokémon have come up with is an annoyance, even for this deck, but this deck can provide some support towards it, even though a lot of decks have taken a heavy blow from it, and some, a massive boost.

The List

Pokémon: (23)

4-Spiritomb (AR-32)
4-Larvitar (UL-50)
3-Pupitar (SF-47)
3-Tyranitar Prime (UL-88)
2-Uxie (LA-43)
1-Azelf (LA-19)
1-Mesprit (LA-34)
1-Unown Q (MD-49)
2-Sneasel (UD-68)
2-Weavile (UD-25)

Trainers: (23)

3-Pokemon Collector
4-Seeker
4-Twins
3-Broken Time Space
2-Pokemon Communication
2-Warp Point
1-Luxury Ball
2-Expert Belt
1-Pokemon Rescue
1-Vs Seeker

Energy: (14)

4-Sp.Dark Energy :)dark:)
4-Double Colorless Energy :)colorless::colorless:)
6-Dark Energy :)dark:)

This list is my current list and although it is very tight it's mainly due to the added techs I put in, which can be replaced to satisfy your needs. I'll put more into techs and a basic skeletal list later on though, after I explain my personal list. It takes a lot of patience to get used to, especially if you're from a more aggressive type of play like LuxChomp, but when you play a lot of games, you'll understand where you went wrong, and start changing your play-style. It would be easier to transfer to this deck from something like Vilegar, as long as you remember T-Tar doesn't have fainting spell, and is less prone to dying.

Before I go on to the reasons behind the cards I used, I would like to point out that the idea of this deck, contrary to other people's belief, is that it's meant to be a SLOW deck, which takes time to set up, then come back 3-5 prizes down and takes 6 prizes in 6 turns, which it is very capable of doing. It's also meant to lock your opponent in the process, enhancing the idea of a SLOW deck. More into strategy later though.

Cards in Detail:

Pokémon

Tyranitar Prime

Obviously the main attacker of the deck, dealing anything from 20 to all non :dark: Pokémon in play, to a maximum of 180 Damage, of course needing 4:dark: and an Expert Belt.

I'd like to start off with this Pokémon’s HP. 160 is massive, even for a Stage 2 Pokémon, it can stand almost any hit in the game that it isn't weak to (AKA Donphan or Machamp Prime), and if attached with expert belt, can take 2 hits from Garchomp. You may say, Garchomp purpose isn't supposed to take out main attackers, but if it doesn't take this out, you'll be stuck facing a huge 180HP Pokémon dishing out 120 damage at least per turn, which is already more than Garchomp's and Luxray's HP.

The dark typing, although seeming good for decks like Gengar can be a drawback, as if any :dark: energies are attached or expert belts, chances are you will kill the Gengar, and force a fainting spell. The best plan of action, is to leave a Tyranitar on the bench, with a normal :dark: and a :colorless::colorless: energy, so it can do 90, then next turn, switch to Uxie to psychic restore, avoiding fainting spell. This however is just if you really don't want to die.

The resistance is good. First having a resistance is always awesome, and it being psychic, prevents poltergeist doing as much damage if you're really worried. Also prevents all damage done by Uxie, lol.
Now although the retreat cost is horrible, it's surprisingly copable considering if you're sending the card out you're probably either stuck anyway, having it dragged out, or it's powered up ready to attack. Warp point although stopped by Vilegar, is your best method of retreating, but bear in mind against Vilegar, you have the type advantage.

Onto the attacks:
3 Attacks, are always nice, giving you a nice option of what you feel like doing.
:dark: Darkness Howl: This does 20 damage to all non dark Pokémon, so if you're planning on using this attack, try to level up your Pupitars into Tyranitars as soon as possible, unless you have energy on them, preventing damage (More into that later). This is similar to Gengar LvX's compound pain, but does 20 for 2 less energy, it's just in general a good attack.
:dark::colorless::colorless: Power Claw: The attack does 60 damage minimum for 3 Energies, which is decent, 2 if you use a :colorless::colorless: energy. But this, combined with expert belt, and a special :dark: energy can be doing a consistent 80-90 damage per turn, knocking out a lot of SP Pokémon like Luxray and Garchomp, and can also take out Pokémon they'd send out as fodders such as Crobat. The special effect can be useful if the opponent has a random ability preventing you from attacking, just helping the attack stay consistent.
:dark::dark::colorless::colorless: Megaton Tail: This attack is a monster, for 3-4 energies you're doing a consistent 120 damage, and although this takes up a lot of turns, bear in mind that Cursegar had the same amount of energies needed, did half the damage and was still successful. This attack defines why the deck doesn't rely on speed, because doing a max of 180 damage with this attack, per turn, takes out literally anything, it's worth the wait, trust me. Remember to only use this attack only when needed, because discarding 3 cards from your deck really eats away at it.
You may also notice that I also run 3 in the deck. This is because you honestly have no need for 4, you won't even need to have 3 in most of your games. 4 is just a waste of deck space, a clogging in your hand, and an annoyance.

Pupitar

This card, is just the best Pupitar. I'd strongly recommend using it just for the pokebody, as it prevents it getting Garchomp sniped early on. Bear in mind that :colorless::colorless: counts as -20 damage, as it doesn't state energy card. Retreat cost is copable, :lightning: resistance is good for Luxray, I guess. Attack is nothing special. :grass: Weakness only really applies to Jumpluff which would OHKO it without weakness anyway, and weakness is +20 compared to x2. If you're not including Weavile in this deck you may want to put one from Unleashed for the free retreat cost (UL-38). But bear in mind it's weak to water, and has 10 less HP.

Larvitar

I chose this Larvitar because I liked it's attacks the best. Usually I'd go for something without x2 Weakness, but the :water: weakness compared to its HP doesn't really help out. I feel discarding the card from the top of your opponents deck at the start of the game if you have no Spiritomb is more useful than a different weakness. If you're honestly worried about weakness, if water's high in your area or something, then use the one from Stormfront (SF-63). I play four of these for the simple reason that I always get them prized. If you feel more lucky, play 3 to reduce the risk of starting with it compared to Spiritomb.

Spiritomb

This card, obviously, is the starter card of the deck, at least what you want to start off with. People prefer Sableye to this for whatever reason, which I honestly don't understand for a number of reasons. Firstly, this card is a pretty annoying lock against SP Pokémon, can Sableye do that? Not unless it has Judge in the deck. Secondly, this card is a free evolution card, from your deck. This reduces the need for supporters in the deck, and just cuts to the chase, and evolves your Larvitar. The only thing it can't do is donk, which isn't the point of this deck anyway. It's also going to be a counter to Sableye when the new rules approach. The card is the same otherwise in that it can do an attack for no energy, damage for one :dark: energy, 60HP, :colorless: Resistance, no weakness and one retreat cost.
This card is just the better starter for the deck as it introduces lock.

Uxie

Just the typical draw power card everyone uses, and can be useful against Gengar, not much else to say honestly.

Azelf

Again, just another typical card. It can help you look at prizes, get an essential Unown Q or Mesprit out, and in general gets a card you want out.

Mesprit

Really makes me tempted to include the Pixie LvX's for a laugh. But yeah, the main focus of the deck is lock until you sweep with T-Tar, then keep locking them. Mesprit fulfils that role perfectly shutting down Poke-Powers for a turn. The main reason that you may want to play this is to prevent a Bright look from threatening you too soon before the T-Tar is set up. Paired along with Seeker, this can be catastrophic for the opponent, as they won't be able to play anything which gives them a chance to take down T-Tar. It's hard to explain really, it just works.

Unown Q

It's Unown Q, nuff said. Mainly for free retreat cost on Pokémon that get stuck out in front, like Spiritomb or Azelf.

Weavile

Horrible picture, underrated card.
I never really looked into this card before, as I'm sure a lot of you haven't, but when you think about it, it's a Cyrus's Initiative, but in the discard pile, and doesn't rely on a coin flip. On top of that it doesn't take up a supporter. With BTS, it should be easy to just bring it out turn after turn, but it's probably only worth playing if you have BTS, because otherwise it will just get sniped quite easily as a Sneasel. Seeker also brings the element of continuous disruption to the table, letting you discard once or more per turn. When using this, decide whether it's better to use up a Seeker on this or Mesprit, depending on your opponents deck. The free retreat card is also a godsend for this deck, considering nothing else has free retreat, unless you use the Pupitar.

Sneasel

The other Sneeze’s Rob attack was really tempting, shuffling all Pokémon tools or technical machines from their hand into the deck, but this card just had to be used for the free retreat, just such an advantage over the other Sneasel. If the other had free retreat, I'd use it, shame really.

Trainers

Pokémon Collector

What can I say, just gets you set up with all you need, works well with Spiritomb as you can evolve what you get out (I.E. Larvitar). Not much else to say. I run 3 instead of 2 which some recommend, so that I can get it out early on, it's quite important. Bear in mind I'm not using Sableye, so I can't just get it out when I feel like it.
This is what I call stage 1 supporter, as it’s meant to be used first.

Twins

Wait...4 Twins in a non lost world deck?? What is this?!
Put it this way:
Turn 1, Spiritomb evolves your Pokémon as you use Collector.
Turn 2, Spiritomb dies, you send out another Spiritomb, Uxie or even Tyranitar if you're ready to use it. You then use Twins, with this you either get 1 card and another Twins. Or with a higher probability of having another in your hand or wanting to start using T-Tar, get 2 cards you want. Then keep sacrificing Pokémon while your opponent is locked from Spiritomb.
This is a Stage 2 Supporter, as it's the second I use in the line.

Seeker

You may see 4 Seeker as overkill, but, there's only 3 different supporters in the deck, so running multiple copies of ones I have is important. It's worth running 4, as late game you will find that you don't have any supporters worth playing that aren't called Seeker. Anyway, the reason of the card. The card is mainly used to recycle Weavile and Mesprit locks, however can be used as a healing mechanism. I use it less often though, as often there isn't a need to heal Tyranitar, as it can take a lot of hits. It can also help donks, yay!
I call this a Stage 3 Supporter, as it's the last supporter of the 3 I play.

Broken Time Space

Now, this will be a fatal blow to the deck when this card gets rotated out, if it does, unless something similar is released. You may notice that there are no rare candies in this deck, why? For a number of reasons. Firstly, the new ruling will make it practically useless in this deck. Secondly Spiritomb stops yourself from using it, just making it Gengar bait. Finally, it honestly isn't needed, it never once served a purpose. Broken Time Space is mainly there for the Weavile family however, but can be helpful in setting up a T-Tar if you can't get Spiritomb out.

Pokémon Communication

Here ladies and gentlemen, is my Bebe's Search. Yes I know Trainer lock says hai, but honestly this card isn't that useful a lot of the time, unless you're seriously struggling to get out a T-Tar prime. You're going to say, you have Spiritomb, the idea is to use this when Spiritomb dies, as you send out Weavile or Sneasel, then retreat back to another Spiritomb, simples. I honestly wouldn't worry about lack of Pokémon to put back, there's always something.

Warp Point

Not the most necessary card in the deck, but a lot will complain I have no way of retreating T-Tar, even though I wouldn't want to retreat T-Tar..because it's doing 120 damage per turn. However I do like the idea of just switching out to heal with Seeker, so I put it in. I chose this over Switch, because a lot of the team, people will send out fodders for T-Tar to kill as they set up their bench. Also works well with Seeker.

Luxury Ball

It's just that card isn't it. Get whatever you want in this deck equals smiley face.

Expert Belt

I'm sure most of you will agree with this choice, but for the few less informed than the others claiming it doesn't need 20HP more or to do 20 more damage because of :dark:energies, listen to this. If you want to waste your deck with Megaton Tail, then go ahead, you'll find yourself losing cards unnecessarily. Pokémon Like Crobat wouldn't die to 60 with a :dark: energy, so expert belt eliminates the need to search out 2 special :dark:. Besides isn't an 180HP T-Tar completely awesome?

Pokémon Rescue

Believe it or not, this card is essential. That easily sniped Mesprit is your best friend, so if it does get sniped, or discarded through Megaton Tail, then you have no other way of getting it back. Sucks right? Get this card with Twins, if you need it, and then save it for a rainy day when Mesprit is in the discard. Besides, a lot of people like not killing it, for whatever reason...Which is why only 1 is needed.

VS Seeker

A 5th Seeker or 5th Twins. All that can be said about it honestly. Only need one otherwise it's a dead card early on.

Energy

Special Dark

It's a special :dark: energy, in a dark deck...obvious choice is obvious?
+10 Damage.

Double Colorless Energy

What can I say, T-Tars second attacks each need :colorless::colorless: to fulfil its costs, and this provides just that. Provides an handy alternative to having to attach for an extra turn.

Dark Energy

T-Tar needs Dark Energy to attack. Derp.

The In-Depth Strategy

If you're interested with how the deck works in detail and how my brain works during a game with this deck then read on, otherwise scroll up and see the very basic strategy I pointed out earlier.
The idea of the deck is simple. Stall your opponent, then out of nowhere come up with a fully powered Tyranitar Prime, and start ripping through your opponent, taking a prize per turn. It may sound cocky but that is honestly how it works, every game.

Major features of the deck you want to note are:
1) Tyranitar has a colossal amount of HP, and can take any hit that isn't Machamp prime or Donphan prime
2) Pupitar with a :colorless::colorless: attached to it can survive Garchomp C LvX's Dragon Rush, even with a Crobat Drop.
3) Note what type of deck your opponent is playing, and focus on your disruption method through that. For example, LuxChomp relies heavily on Poke-Powers, so consider using Seeker on Mesprit instead of Weavile, to prevent your opponent from playing around your T-Tar. Another example would be lost world, which relies heavily on keeping Lost World in the hand until it is safe to play it. If you see they're playing Lost World, keep Weavile secret, until you're certain they have lost world in their hand, and once they're gone, LostGar has no chance of coming back.
4) Spiritomb is very useful, not just early game. I know the feeling you get when you have something just die, but you don't want to send in your main attacker just yet. Well, try to keep 2 Spiritomb's on the field at all times, so that if one goes, you keep the lock going. It also prevents Regice breaking the lock.
5) The aim of the game is Sacrifice. You let your opponent take out your Spiritomb, as you continue to use Twins, every turn, getting what you need for your T-Tar. When your opponent has the feeling that they are doing well, and are prizes up, it's a natural human feeling, where they start to get cocky and play sloppy. Obviously top players won't play to this effect, as they don't do this, so bare that in mind also.

So those are the main things I focus on when playing with the deck.
Below is how the ideal set up with the deck goes:

(If going first)
Turn 1:
Spiritomb Active.
Larvitar on the bench.
Attach energy to Larvitar.
Play Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie.
Use Darkness Grace to get Pupitar

(If going second)

Turn 1:
Spiritomb Active
Larvitar on the bench.
Use Pokémon Collector for Larvitar/Mesprit/Spiritomb
Attach energy.
Play Spiritomb
Play Mesprit if you feel the need.
Darkness Grace for Pupitar

(If going first or second)

Turn 2:
Spiritomb Active.
Pupitar/Mesprit/Larvitar/Spiritomb on the bench.
Use Pokémon Collector for Sneasel/Unown Q/Uxie usually, or whatever you feel the need for
or
Use Seeker to get Mesprit back, then either keep it in your hand, or play it again, depending on opponent’s deck
Attach Energy to Pupitar
Darkness Grace for another Pupitar or Tyranitar Prime (Depends if opponent relies on sniping)

OR

Turn 2:

Send out Sneasel after active Spiritomb is knocked out
Use Twins for whatever you feel the need for (Usually Twins and 1 other card)
Use any useful trainers you have, while you can.
Attach Energy
Darkness Grace for whatever you feel the need.

Then from there I basically keep on setting up, where my opponent takes prizes, then send out T-Tar and literally get 6 prizes in 6 turns. Whilst locking with Mesprit/Weavile etc. It sounds basic, but the strategy is honestly that basic.
I know these starts are not always going to happen, but like I stated, they are the ideal starts, and there is a large chance that something similar will happen when you start the game.
Otherwise it's a bad hand, which any deck, even the best, can suffer from.

The strategy, as is the same with all decks, is heavily reliant on consistency, which, using this list, I have found to be very consistent, limiting what will be "Dead" cards later on in the game, and increasing the cards useful at any point in the game. Because I have horrible luck, this has been structured so that it can suit my play-style and luck, and have given many consistent results that I am proud of.

Possible Techs

This deck may be consistent, but not suited to your play-style, so here is a list of cards that can be used to replace the cards you feel shouldn't be in the deck. It's all personal opinion. You also need to think what decks are being played in your area the most frequently, or that you worry most about. You should edit your tech cards based on these factors, and any others you may have.

But first here is a skeletal list of what should always be included in the deck:

Pokémon: (15)

4-Spiritomb (AR-32)
3-Larvitar (UL-95)
3-Pupitar (SF-47)
3-Tyranitar Prime (UL-88)
1-Mesprit (LA-34)
1-Unown Q (MD-49)

Trainers: (19)

2-Pokemon Collector
4-Seeker
3-Twins
3-Broken Time Space
2-Pokemon Communication
1-Luxury Ball
2-Expert Belt
1-Pokemon Rescue
1-Vs Seeker

Energy: (14)

4-Sp.Dark Energy :)dark:)
4-Double Colorless Energy :)colorless::colorless:)
6-Dark Energy :)dark:)

This list provides 49 cards, leaving 11 cards that you can change to make the deck your own. A lot of the cards I've taken out I'd strongly recommend putting in, but are not completely necessary.

Here are a few cards I've considered putting in depending on matchups you may get or are common in your area. Again these are all personal preference, and personally I wouldn't use any of them, because I like my list, but here you go:

Umbreon UD

This card is probably the most notable tech card for this deck, as it provides cover for your weaknesses. This deck does get dominated by Donphan and Machamp, and this card prevents them from doing any damage, for 1 Energy. I don't use this card, because I don't see many Donphan or Machamp decks, and it can be played around if you play carefully enough.
If you don't like Weavile, this is probably the best replacement for it.

Zoroark

Zoroark HP100
Stage 1, Evolves from Zoroa

Nasty Plot
Search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Foul Play
Choose 1 of the defending Pokémon attacks and use it as this attack

W:x2 R:-20 R:

Sorry that there isn't an English image for this on the site, I will place it in when it is provided.
But the main idea of this card is similar to that of Ditto, except you don't need the same energy, just :colorless::colorless: which :colorless::colorless: energy provides. This should be used the same way Toxicroak G Promo is used, where you put it into play the turn you plan to use it. I.e. You need BTS in play to use it effectively. The first attack is okay, but it's a stage 1 Pokémon, which doesn't aid the attack at all.

Absol G LvX

This card is mainly for Gengar as an alternative method to where I stated use T-Tar prime with no special energies, attack, then retreat to Uxie and attack. This is only if you're worried about the retreat cost, and isn't really at all necessary. The Poke-power helps with disruption, but I feel it would be such a better card if it had free retreat cost. Also bear in mind it provides another Pokémon weak to Donphan/Machamp.

Absol Prime

If you don't like the idea of incorporating a LvX or SP into your deck, then you could try out this. It OHKO's Gengar with a Special Dark, if you're worried about having to risk losing your T-Tar for the Gengar. It's another Pokémon weak to Machamp/Donphan also. I don't like this card personally, but it perfectly viable to fit into the deck. You may need another energy or two though..

Honchkrow SV

Another Pokémon if you feel that the deck is weak to Machamp/Donphan, that works perfectly fine in it. The only problem of using this compared to Umbreon, is that the damage output won't be as much with the T-Tar lines on the bench, but with a :dark: and a :colorless::colorless: attached to it, it works well as a secondary attacker if you feel this deck needs one.

Uxie LvX

Depends again on the usage of Machamp prime in your area. It doesn't work as well against Machamp SF, as it does 90 damage, and gets KO'd back straight away, as there's no Lucero GL. Although Machamp SF isn't as big of a problem as the prime. Just consider it if you have nothing else to include.

Chabot MD

You shouldn't but if you find that you're getting bad draws a lot, then consider putting this in, especially if you're taking Weavile out, as it provides a nice free retreat Pokémon. I don't have problems with consistency so I don't include it, but you may think otherwise.

Professor Oak's New Theory

The same as Chatot, but in the form as a supporter. I suppose that if Vilegar is high in your area, replace a few trainers for a couple of these. Just for consistency if you have issues with it.

Rescue Energy

Not needed for what you may expect. T-Tar doesn't need this energy, as by the time it takes your opponent to take down 1 T-Tar, if they do, you should have another powered up. This should be put on something important, like Mesprit, on the bench. This is for if your paranoid about Mesprit being sniped, and having no way of getting it back.

Warp Energy

I can see why people think you need this card, due to the :colorless::colorless::colorless: retreat cost of T-Tar, but you honestly don't need it that much. If you're paranoid about retreating, then by all means include it. Just don't see why you need to personally.

That concludes my tech cards for this deck, but bear in mind that these aren't the only ones, these are just some I'd recommend using. If you find something else that works well for you, then that's great. The cards depends what's being used in your area, or what you fear the most, and that's how I have adapted my deck.

The Match-ups

Finally, the part I've been trying to put off, the match-ups.
Please understand that all these match-ups are posted from what I have played in my career, and will answer it just to that. I will leave a comment describing whether I feel that it should be higher one way.
You have your own opinions, I have mine, don't criticise mine because of your own opinion, ok?
Prepare yourself..

LuxChomp 65-35

May as well start with the biggest deck of the format, and possibly most dominating. Now this was a hard one to determine, as although my experience against LuxChomp was good (I.e. Never lost to it), I feel that if LuxChomp plays smart enough, they can get around the high hitting T-Tar. The main problem with LuxChomp facing this deck is that LuxChomp can't do enough damage to the thing it needs to take out, so that it's team doesn't get swept. Trainer and Power lock also prevents LuxChomp doing much and Pupitar’s Poke-Body prevents it being sniped early on.
I put 65-35 as the match-up, as that's what it's been play tested to come up with when I play more skilled players. Watch out for that deadly Toxicroak, that is when you need to have Warp Point, and Lucario techs may also cause problems, so be wary of them.
I'd say, due to what people will state, that it should be 55-45, but I'm leaving it at that.

Vilegar 70-30

It was hard to come up with a match-up for this one, as every time I played I had a terrible start, or my opponent did. Just with these two decks though. It honestly depends how you play the game and what techs you use for this one. Since I don't use any techs, except for I guess Uxie, it really boils down to luck of the coin flip. If fainting spell works, you're screwed, if it doesn't you're fine. Also bear in mind that it can take out Mesprit on the bench, and you can't use Pokémon Rescue to get it back, although Mesprit doesn't help much against the deck. Resistance I found also helped. Sorry if you feel this match-up was inadequate, but I said it'd be based on personal experience, and how crap my luck is against Vilegar.
If you want to increase your odds, play a less trainer heavy line.

Gyarados 50-50

Well, this is quite embarrassing, I've only actually played Gyarados one time, although it was against a very skilled player. The problem with Gyarados against this deck is that it can actually 2HKO Tyranitar, and set up in 1 turn, compared to LuxChomp which can't. The way to play against this deck is to utilise the trainer lock, and Weavile's :ppowr: effectively. Try to get rid of as many recovery cards as possible from their hand, and the gyarados' themselves, as they can't Pokémon Rescue them back. If you don't start off with Spiritomb, you may have a hard time from the get go. Also try to lure your opponent into using expert belt, so you draw 2 prizes instead of 1. Pokémon Reversal may help this match-up if you're really worried. It's hard to give a matchup on this one, as I've only played one game, and although I won, I can see where gyarados causes problems.

LostGar 75-25

This is one match-up with Gengars that T-Tar doesn't have to worry about. Play around Gengar's attack with carefully placed Mesprit and Weavile drops. The main way to counter this deck is actually Weavile. Where if you discard both their lost worlds, they lose. If they play it to prevent that, play your BTS to replace it. Easy. Watch out for Spiritomb however, as it can ruin your Sneasel Weavile line up to get rid of Lost World and a useful hand. Other than that, T-Tar pretty much tramples over Gengar and Co., taking a prize each turn, as it always does. Gengar SF will be annoying..again. You'll be fine unless they somehow lost zone all 3 T-Tars...if you're now worried about that, put in another T-Tar!

LostVileGar 65-35

I bet you already said, what about Vileplume on the last one, lol.
But this is a bit of a harder match-up, considering you aren't in control of the trainer lock, your opponent is. The same concept applies to the match-up above, but it will be a slower game, and will have to utilise :dark: more than Expert Belts. You may want to change up Pokémon Communication for a couple of Bebe's if this is giving you a hard time. Overall, don't really worry, it's not that common anyway.

Speedchamp 70-30

Actually a better match-up than you'd expect...providing of course you start with Spiritomb. If you don't start with Spiritomb, expect a loss, but still keep fighting for it of course. If you're opponent lucks out and gets a BTS, Machop, Machoke, Machamp and a Fighting Energy and a Seeker in their hand, then that also sucks. Overall for this matchup utilise trainer lock. Later game, T-Tar OHKO's Machamp anyway, and Machamp needs to get luck on heads with hurricane punch. A game about luck, yay.

DonChamp 20-80

Wow, good luck is all I can say. Right from the get go you'll be taking 120 damage. I don't tech against it because it's not very common for me, but if you're worried about it, put umbreon in, makes it a LOT easier. You need a lot of luck, basically, and bear in mind it's not speed, so doesn't worry about using lots of trainers, so trainer lock doesn't help a lot. Hope they get no energies.

DialgaChomp 70-30

Hmm...I mean technically, Dialga can survive an attack from T-Tar, use remove lost and get 3 heads.
Basically depends what your opponent has out whilst you send out T-Tar. Try and make them have Dialga out when you bring it out, just in case they get stupid heads. Really Dialga isn't a threat, especially considering there's no :pbody: in the deck. And can't deal enough to make it a threat. Just make sure that when you start sweeping so to speak, that your opponent hasn't taken more than 3 prizes, otherwise the Garchomp may cause issues. Realistically, if you play it smart, and don't get donked by however you can get donked, you should win.

Sableock 40-60

Not an easy match-up for any deck, and this is no exception honestly. It's unfortunately luck based, so if they get 2 head with Cyrus’s initiative you may have a problem. Try to utilise Mesprit and Trainer Lock through Spiritomb. If your opponent does use Initiative you should try to use as many cards as possible to shuffle your deck. If you see this deck often and worry about it, then try using Professor Oak's New Theory. Doing the damage isn't really the issue, the setting up is though, by the time you may have gotten the T-Tar ready, they may be 4-5 prizes up and able to Garchomp snipe you.

Charizard 70-30

People are worried about this when LuxChomp goes...sigh..
I'd like to see Charizard set up when Ninetails can't use its power, nor can uxie, they can't play trainers, and they're taking more than Charizard's HP per turn. Seriously utilise Mesprit though, it completely nullifies the speed of the deck, and makes it worthless. Sorry for not much effort in this one, nothing to say.

Kingdra 70-30

Admittedly, it was surprising to see this deck again, last time I saw it was last nationals when Danny won in the Juniors with it. I suppose it's similar to Charizard in the sense that if you get Mesprit out fast enough, your opponent is stuck. Even the measly 1 Damage it can do is negated, on top of Uxie draw etc. This may be an even better match-up than Charizard, because it can't do nearly as much damage. I gave the same match-up because if someone's using Kingdra, chances are they're experienced with it, as it is quite an old deck.

Mirror 50-50

Depends who gets T-Tar set up the best I suppose, kind of hard to comment on as I haven't done a mirror match yet. But you can see how it would work.

If you want me to include any other match-ups, leave a response and I'll give my personal opinion on it, as if it's not here I haven't played it.

Conclusion

Well, to conclude, Tyraniboah is a deck that I feel could emerge, especially during next format with a lot of the threats gone. It depends a lot on luck of the draw, and coin flip but that could be said about any game with any deck. It also depends on the techs that you use, and what you feel comfortable with. The downfall will probably be the rotation of Mesprit, so hopefully we will soon see a similar Pokémon emerge from the new sets.

I'd like to end by saying thank you for reading this, and hope you enjoyed.

~RAMBO

A very well writen and In-Depth article! To the front page with you! :smile:

To everybody:

I know we recently released an article on T-tar, but this one uses and entirely different strategy, and
is a good contribution to the pokegym community, so enjoy!

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

Lol @ the deck name...am I correct in guessing you play the videogame as well?

If not disregard, article is still good.

Wow, this is the first front page deck that has stood out to me in a while. I love how you use T-tar and the sacrifice angle is unique to me, I must say. Very well written article and I hope you do well with this deck!
Oh, and nice name btw. I didn't know many people on this forum were into both competitive aspects of Pokemon like me. :D

"If you feel more lucky, play 3 to reduce the risk of starting with it compared to Spiritomb"

Changing the number of Larvitars in the deck does not increase or decrease your chances of opening Tomb"

"If you feel more lucky, play 3 to reduce the risk of starting with it compared to Spiritomb"

Changing the number of Larvitars in the deck does not increase or decrease your chances of opening Tomb"

It does because you mulligan more often ;)

What bout lunarock? I mean no healing breath.

Healing breath isn't really necessary, as most of the time you aren't used to use the first attack. It's mainly about the second two attacks, unless you find a tactical use for it at the time.

Lol @ the deck name...am I correct in guessing you play the videogame as well?

If not disregard, article is still good.

I used to, haha. Thought the title was appropriate. :p

Yeah, you mulligan more often, as previously stated.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it means a lot to me for my first article :)

It does because you mulligan more often ;)

Oh Yoshi please don't tell me you condone running 1 less larvitar for the small percentage of a time you mulligan and than proceed to draw into Tomb. Your more likely to get donked for having the one less basic than you are to actually mulligan into the Tomb.

Not to shabby, my T-Tar made it into top 64 at Nats, but came close against Frank Diaz but alas he took the win. Hafta say T-Tar is a great deck, can beat machamp, but Donphan deals 120 for 1 energy and sets up faster than you can table flip. Anyone figure out a counter yet??

Oh Yoshi please don't tell me you condone running 1 less larvitar for the small percentage of a time you mulligan and than proceed to draw into Tomb. Your more likely to get donked for having the one less basic than you are to actually mulligan into the Tomb.

Just personal preference if you're finding it hard to take something out, taking that out can be a thought.

Very Good article and it looks like an alright deck, but as far as a Donphan counter, you could run the pupitar that has the rage attack combined with memory berry, because they will do 120 to you and you counter with a rage of 140 which is a 0HKO. And against machamp, I guess keep them locked out of the prime, cause Machamp SF doesn't really do that much when you can just 0HKO it with a Special Dark

Back