Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK Nationals 2011 - What's the format?

Freddy K.

What is the format of the tournament in terms of rounds before and after Top Cut? Length of time and matchplay/no matchplay would be helpful to know.

Also when do we need to register by the latest and when we need to submit decklists by would be useful. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sure Ian will tell us as soon as he can.

No-one is keeping this quiet just to be annoying.

A bit late for them to let that cat out the bag...but at least they're thinking of the gamestate and players. This makes testing a bit of a waste of time now.

Another point, will UK Nationals use the BW rules? While it may not use the HGSS-on format (referencing the July 1st date here), I take it someone needs to decide whether or not we get the BW rules with our MD-BW format?

Last edited:
Leave format as is with B&W rules and cards?
Restrict B&W rules but allow cards?
Restrict B&W rules and cards?
Mid-season rotation HGSS-on?
Ban Sableye?
Reschedule Nats to mid- to late- June?

Six options, I say roll a die :)

Freddy, I think the only choice that Ian is going to have is MD-CoL or MD-BW.

If CoL is the cut, then old rules. If BW is the cut, then BW must be used.

It doesn't sound like there are any other options available.

Ban Sableye?

The first four are the only viable options.
P!P have said that TO's aren't allowed to ban specific cards.
Rescheduling Nats would be bad trying for both organisers who would have venue trouble, and for everyone who'd already booked hotels etc.

Freddy, I think the only choice that Ian is going to have is MD-CoL or MD-BW.

If CoL is the cut, then old rules. If BW is the cut, then BW must be used.

It doesn't sound like there are any other options available.

Ban Sableye?

^^ Please! These in the bold!

I can imagine parents being dismayed having let little Johnny play in the prerelease for a day plus £20, only to get not just missing prize support but also finding out they can't play with the new cards. If B&W is cut, at least...

Give me one more day to try and get some details out of the USA. And actually by day I mean night as they are 8 hours behind.

I want to be absolutely certain that I get the announcement correct. Because there are going to be a lot of questions if I don't get it right...

Changing UK nats date would be horrible, I already know people who have everything sorted and planned for the 29th weekend.

Baring acts of God the date wont be changing. It was set July of last year and I've paid in full for the venue.

just got off the phone with the USA.

The UK modified format is now B&W rules with all cards between MD and B&W legal for play.

This applies to all sanctioned modified tournaments taking place from now until further notice with one exception, and only the one exception, of our national tournament on 29th May which is as follows.
UK Nationals will be MD-COL and use the September 2010 rules.

battle roads will allow B&W cards and thus have to use B&W rules.

Last edited:
Yessssss!

It's going to be pretty wierd playing different rules for each event. But I'm definately happy that we revert back for Nationals.

Thanks alot Ian for your quick resolution.

Amazing stuff.

More casual players go to BRs so all the kids will be able to use there new B&W cards etc so it's good for everyone :)

Everyone at Nats should be a bit more serious and up to date so shouldn't be to many problems.

Baring acts of God the date wont be changing. It was set July of last year and I've paid in full for the venue.

just got off the phone with the USA.

The UK modified format is now B&W rules with all cards between MD and B&W legal for play.

This applies to all sanctioned modified tournaments taking place from now until further notice with one exception, and only the one exception, of our national tournament on 29th May which is as follows.
UK Nationals will be MD-COL and use the September 2010 rules.

battle roads will allow B&W cards and thus have to use B&W rules.

When will this annoucment be set in stone? Its a shame we couldn't get the HGSS-ON format ;-(
Instead we have to play a bunch of net decked Luxchomps.

Official emails have gone out so it IS set in stone.

And don't worry . . . there will be plenty of netdecked Vilegars, Sablelocks, Magnezones and Gyarados for you to play as well.

Back