Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Undefeated KY State Champion Report.

Ignatious

Hello, I'm Austin Reed, some of you may have seen my name as the highest ranked US player at worlds last year, maybe not, but I'm still proud. I've been using G&G ever since Secret Wonders came out, I looked at the cards and saw some potential, so I threw the deck together. It was bad though, when I first used it. I used it with Lucario as a fast paced deck such as Empoleon. It did, however, do greatly for me at cities. I eventually switched the Lucarios to Furretts and did so much better, having that awesome search engine was incredibly fast. It worked out much better for me, and my rating proved it. After cities with G&G, my rating was 1748.32, and I almost decided to use Magmortar for states, but decided to use what I was familiar with. We decided to go to KY states instead of our home state; Ohio, because of one particular player, that my mother and I agreed to get away from.

My list for states was:

3 Ralts SW
1 Ralts DF
2 Kirlia SW
2 Gallade SW
3 Gardevoir SW
1 Gardevoir LvX
1 Baltoy GE
1 Claydol GE
1 Duskull SW
1 Dusclops CG
1 Dusknoir DP
4 Sentret SW
3 Furret SW
2 Pachirisu GE

1 Warp Point
4 Rare Candy
2 Windstorm
2 Night Maintenance
1 Strength Charm
1 Lake Boundary
2 Wager
1 Holon Mentor
2 Roseanne's Research
4 Celio's Network

5 Psychic
2 Fighting
4 Double Rainbow
3 Scramble

The deck, all reverse foil other than two DREs, worked out very nicely, but had some rough edges as I was soon to figure out. Ducknoir didn't help as much as I predicted it to. I tested it out a lot and it worked wonders against my mother's Magmortar, and it worked wonders. She, however, used the Togekiss/Claydol version, so I did get any practical evidence that Ducknoir was effective against the regular Magmortar build.

The night before the tournament, my friend came over, and we play tested a lot. I was using Bannet so he could practice his G&G list against it. He sulked at how bad he did. In practice games he's a very slow player, and we timed our matches for 30 minutes, so he kept losing due to time. I stressed that he would play faster in a tournament and to not worry about it.

When we gpt there the next morning, the gaming room wasn't open yet, so I just looked around the shop, along with my mother and friend, Justin. When the gaming room finally did open, I got my trade on. I had 11 cards in my deck that I need ed in reverse foil. I needed 1 Sentret, 2 Roseanne's, 2 Rare Candy GE, 4 Double Rainbow CG, 1 Scramble DF, and 1 Celio's. By the end of the day, I managed to trade for them all, other than 2 DRE from CG. Oh well, the deck is still 29/30 foil.

Round 1
G&G vs. Magmortar/Togekiss (James Vincent)
This game I had a pretty good start... minus the energy. The one problem more than which techs I use, is the energy starvation. If I don't start out with an energy, I have no draw supporters to draw into one, so playing energy becomes very difficult. He started out with Magmar, which at first I thought was greatly beneficial to myself. He, howver, T3ed a Magmortar LvX. ****. Every other turn he was killing something from my bench, whatever he wanted. I struggled all game, managed to Gardy/Gallade swarm him, so that his sniping didn't hurt so much. At some point in the game, I warp pointed, and brought out my Gallade with a Scramble to kill his only bench, a Togepi. I figured he couldn't kill my Gallade, which such a small hand, so I could just flip over some prizes next turn to kill that stupid Magmortar LvX. Instead, he played Crystal Beach. X(. I managed to swerve around enough to make the game come down to one move. He had a Magmortar and A heavily damaged Togekiss. If he had the Lvx via Premier Ball, or Nightmaintenance + Celio, then I would have lost from Flame Bluster. He didn't, so I brought up Gardevoir LvX to Bring Down his damaged Togekiss.
1-0

Round 2
G&G vs G&G (Justin Phillips)
I had to play against the friend I brought so early. He didn't want to play me, so that we could just get some food for lunch break. So he let me pick my opening hand. I T2 Galladed him and won. What are the odds?
2-0

For lunch break my mother, Justin, and I went to a nearby Taco Bell. They had some good food, but their cinnimon twists were disgusting.. I couldn't bare to eat them, so I tossed them into the garbage ASAP. Yuck!

Round 3
G&G vs Magmortar (Jayson *doesn't recall last name*)
We both had good starts, however he was warned ahead of time about my Ducknoir, so he carefully only played 3 bench at a time. Stupid tech revealers. He attacked fast with a Magmortar and I responded with a scrambled Gallade. He stalled for a turn or two, and attacked with his Typhlosion to discard the Double Rainbow I needed to attach when my Scramble stopped working. I attached another one, and one shotted the Typhlo. I was now out of prizes. Stupid me. He killed my Gallade with Magmortar, and that's when it became a real game. I used Gardevoirs to try to Lock him into submission, but he still had everything he needed. His come back was swift and powerful. I attacked with my Ducknoir when the time was right, and in the last few second of the game, he could either have straight up knocked out the Dusknoir, or did 40-20-20 with Fireball Bazooka. If chose Firball Bazooka, not realizing that time was not on his side. On my following turn, time was called, and I was in the lead, 1 to 2 prizes. We finished out the game, and as I guessed, I would not have won.. I felt guilty for winning out of time.
3-0

Round 4
G&G vs. Magmortar/Togekiss (Liz Reed)
I played against my mother. We just messed around the whole time, I don't remember much. We both had good starts, and it was a fun game to play.. I just don't remember any of it. My bad.
4-0

Round 5
G&G vs G&G (James Arnold)
This is one of my best pokefriends in existence. Playing together as two undefeateds was awesome. We both had good stars, his was delayed a turn from having to retreat hi Baltoy for a Pachirisu on his following turn. He, did not know I played Ducknoir, and benched up. Go me! He stalled a lot of the game, nopt letting my kill his importaint pokes. At some point in the game I played my Dusknoir to shuffle back his Garevoir LvX, and proceed to KO his active Pachirisu. His lack of knowledge of my Dusknoir is what killed him. At the end, when time was called, I lead, 1 to 2 prizes. He could have killed my attacking Garevoir LvX, with a heavily damaged Gallade but I would follow-up KO his Gallade with my Dusknoir.
5-0

I have never been undefeated all season, to be honest. I would always lose to crap hands, or against the guy I mentioned I wanted to avoid. In fact, all season I had very low resistance and because of it, I missed the top 4 cut by placing 5th in at least 4 cities. I was proud, especially since I was bragging about my deck to a friend of mine, telling him I would go X-0 in the swiss. Good thing he can't shove that in my face now. My mother finished out 4-1, he only loss being to me. Sweet, both of us made top eight. Justin was 3-2, he lost to me, and to my mom. The only two people that he said he would not play, or just let them win. He technically had no legit losses, but a loss is a loss I suppose. He finished 9th, and for playing such a comlicated deck, on his first season of playing, he did very well.

For the top eight The places were as follows:

8. Darkrai/Togekiss
7. Magmortar
6. Honchkrow/Absol
5. Ho-oh/Togekiss
4. G&G/Rhyperior
3. Magmortar/Togekiss
2. G&G
1. G&G

Top 8
G&G vs Darkrai (*forgot name*)
Game 1
He came here all the way from Indiana. =0. His son was the defending KY state champion, so they traveled to defend that title. He did, placing 1st in the Juniors devision. Game 1 I set up amazingly. I Dark Palmed his threats and killed his active plently of times. Even though he knew about Dusknoir, he still benched up. I don't know why.. but He scooped that game to me.
Game 2
I had a below average start, having two Ralts. My immediate plan was to rush with Gallade, but as soon as he had a powered up Darkrai, I knew the LvX was a nightmare away form killing my only attacker. I stalled out with Furret and before he set up too much, I was back on track. He killed my Furret with Darkrai LvX, and I responded with a KO from Gallade. I managed to Dark Palm his Togetic, being a Togekiss would have been the only thing in my way of Gallade rushing. He kept me asleep for a turn from a Togepi's Yawn, in that time he managed to play another Darkrai and attacking with the LvX again. Unfortunantly for him, he onlt had two energy on his LvX and could only use the attack that made me switch. I put up Gardy, levelled it up, teleprted, Psychic Cut, GG.
6-0

So James lost to the guy I almost lost to round 3, and our dream of facing each other in top 2 was put aside for another day. My mother defeated the Honchkrow deck, I mean, she does use Claydol. The top four looked like this:

4. G&G/Rhyperior
3. Magmortar/Togekiss
2. Magmortar
1. G&G

Wow. All G&G or Magmortar. Oh well, what else would there be?

Top 4
G&G vs G&G/Rhyperior (Jackie Wheeler)
Game 1
We both had the worst starts ever. She had Rhyhorn and I had Sentret. Neither of us had energy, or much of anything. For a few turns we just drew a card and passed. She eventually used warp point to put up an absol, attached a Multi energy, and started to Baleful Wind my useless cards away. I eventually got Celio... yeah then played Furret. Keen eye > Baleful Wind and that game proved it to me. She sat there, still now drawing anything with her almost useless starter. Sure, she got rid og both Kirlias, a Rare Candy, a claydol, and a Gardevoir, but in reality, Keen Eye makes up for those loses, that, and more. I set up and Gallade rushed for the win.
Game 2
This time she started out with Absol and began Baleful Winding immediatly. I also started out with sentret and immediatly started Keen Eyeing. As said before Keen Eye > Baleful Wind so I set up my feild, admittedly much slower, while she powered herself up a rhyperior. He went on the offensive too soon, however, she Koed my Furret ASAP. I brought up Gallade, Wagered her to a 3 card hand, and one shotted her into a lone Absol with no energy, and a 3 card hand. Two turns later, she lost.
7-0

My mother was still in her first game against the Magmortar that almost beat me, and successfully beat James. She had a terrible start, but I keep forgetting that in Marmortar/Togekiss, there is no such thing. She started out with Magmar and had some crap in her hand. I wasn't paying attension but she somehow went on the offensive really quick, and the tide of the game was constantly shifting. They would each brong up a Magmortar, kill the opponents magmortar, and just wait for their magmortar to be killed. The Togekiss varient always pulls energy out of no where, even if you have nothing else, the only way to keep up with that for a regular Magmortar is with scrambles, which are effectively shut off with Crystal Beach. My mother won that match, and scooped the top 2 games to me. We went home with 1st and 2nd. That was pretty aweosme. My mother had never done that well before, but this year is the only year that we actually got into the game for anything other than worlds..

Pros:
-James Arnold. Never quit this game, I enjoy playing against you, and talking with you between games. You'll win Nats one of these days.
-G&G. I love this deck more than I love food. Gallade is my favorite poke and I'm glad I can do amazingly with it.
-Reverse foil cards. Without you, my deck would be ugly. =(
-Chris Fulop. He showed me the effectiveness of Furret, and is the sole reason why I stopped being dumb with my Lucarios.
-All of the people asking for my advice on their G&G builds.

Cons:
-Taco Bell. Ugh.. Those cinnimon twists were grose!
-Justin getting 9th. One place higher and we would have top eighted his first states (even though he would have lost to me =/ )
-The 3.5 hour drive there. Ugh, nothing to do. I need to get a new DS game or something.

Last edited:
Why in the world did you post this list, you realize I;m going to have to play against a half dozen net decked versions of this next weekend. Thanks alot LOL

No with all seriousness though congrats on your win I really hope we get to play some time.

PROPS for posting your list and showing you aren't scared of lame netdeckers.

Congrats to you and your mom! This metagame is out of hand when you can play just two wager for your draw power. LOL.

GREAT REPORT

This is what a report should look like. I'm talking about those of you who have your reports like so:
Game 1 I got set up he didn't, I won.
Game 2, I creamed him with my first Gallade, he couldn't take it down.
It goes until their report ends, so annoying and lame to even open those pages up.

Gutsy most on posting your list, but I'm pretty sure Netdeckers can't hand a list like yours.

And the obvious, great job on going undefeated. You'll great points boost I bet, not that your really needed it but every little helps.:thumb:

Austin, ha... you're so goofy. (get it?)

MAJOR congratulations. The undefeated title is a hard one to pull off.

Great job. Great report. But your T8 opponent wasn't Andrew Peterson. He's from Indiana, not Texas (I should know since I gave him a ride.) Your mom actually played him in T8. You must have played someone named Sweet.

Hi. My name is Alex Macri and some of you may remember me as the guy who helped the old lady cross the road last year. But I'm still proud.

lol. that was a great intro sentence by you.

Great job. Great report. But your T8 opponent wasn't Andrew Peterson. He's from Indiana, not Texas (I should know since I gave him a ride.) Your mom actually played him in T8. You must have played someone named Sweet.

Crap, I knew there was a mix up, lol. I wrote it early in the morning and my memerory isn't the best thing about me.. Let me go fix that.

Back