Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Underrated cards

CaterpiesAreOP

Hey there, I was just thinking about what cards barely see any play that are potentially really good but never get any shine.

Jirachi CoL/UL This card I find underrated because you can potentially wreck shop on stage 2 decks and rush decks with stage 1s. Jirachi can accelerate psychic energy from the discard onto itself for every heads you flip out of 3. Paired with Kyurem, Jirachi is great for scoring multiple knockouts on pokemon that have damage counters on them. If there was a Hydreigon 97 DR on the field with 60 damage you could time hollow to de-evolve the Hydreigon into a Deino for KO (Providing the Hydreigon was rare candied).

Smoochum HGSS I really liked this card as a stall tactic in Vileuplume decks, it's a baby pokemon meaning it has free retreat. You get to move energy from the active onto any benched pokemon, meaning you could stack a DCE onto say an Cleffa or Emolga which is totally pointless and your opponent has to be very careful with his/her energy drops. It is especially annoying with trainer lock up. Also good for activating twins.

Kyurem NV Kyurem has never really been part of tier 1 decks, I still say it's underrated. People have only really used Kyurem in Cake (Cobalion, Kyurem, Electrode). Hitting 30 damage to every pokemon on your opponent's field is huge. That's 180 damage all together! Of course eviolite will nerf the hit but tool scrapper is your friend. I think Dusclops and Kyurem could be a cool rogue deck when Boundaries Crossed is released. Being able to freely move your opponent's damage counters is great, it's like Reuniclus's brother.

Excadrill DE 56 I find this card underrated only because of the 2nd attack. Would have been nice to have around last format for it's first attack (hitting the bench for 30 to 1 pokemon, good for baby pokes). I say the 2nd attack is good because it will OHKO eels and most basic and stage 1 electric and dark pokemon. That's not the focal point though, being able to get back any card in your discard is huge. You could get special energy, trainers, and SUPPORTERS! :O I remember playing some guy who stalled me for 3 turns and just used PONT every turn to set up. It was super annoying but effective.

Stunfisk DR In this format Eels and Dark decks are pretty big. Hitting the active for 20 and the bench for a single basic energy is pretty good for an opening pokemon. If the active pokemon you are hitting for 20 happens to be one of the decks I've mentioned you could double that. Sweet. The second attack is great for stalling your opponent. If you see a darkrai on the bench, catcher it and rumble it for 80. darkrai won't be able to retreat with it's ability because stunfisk says no. For only 2 energy and being a basic (And only giving up 1 prize), 40 damage is pretty good.

Anyways, I know I listed some rotated cards but I just wanted to share. I wanna hear from you guys what you think is underrated. I do play a lot of top tier decks online but I always wanna try something new and different.

I have to agree with you Caterpie. Snipe and spread attacks are definitely underrated. In addition, the ability to slavage cards from the discard pile is very nice.

I use stunfisk and dusknoir in a groudon terrakion deck i have. I agree with you most people don't think twice about these cards. with blastoise coming out i think kyurem will be used in keldeo decks, and laparas will also be used more because of keldeo's ability.

Jirachi CoL/UL

Did get played somewhat as a tech. Not uncommon in CaKE decks IIRC. The need to run Psychic, and the fact that evolution decks became less and less popular meant that it kind of faded from play.

Smoochum HGSS

Some people did try it, but it never really caught on. Like all Babies it had a tendency to stay asleep at the wrong time and give up free Prizes. The Energy disruption was cute, but ultimately the card didn't really do enough to see widespread play.

Kyurem NV Kyurem has never really been part of tier 1 decks, I still say it's underrated. People have only really used Kyurem in Cake (Cobalion, Kyurem, Electrode). Hitting 30 damage to every pokemon on your opponent's field is huge. That's 180 damage all together! Of course eviolite will nerf the hit but tool scrapper is your friend. I think Dusclops and Kyurem could be a cool rogue deck when Boundaries Crossed is released. Being able to freely move your opponent's damage counters is great, it's like Reuniclus's brother.

Kyurem also saw play in 6 Corners and even Quad Kyurem. 30 spread is a lot less amazing than it sounds in a format with 180 HP Pokemon and Eviolite. It may make a bit of a comeback when we get Blastoise, in a supporting role to Keldeo.

Excadrill DE 56 I find this card underrated only because of the 2nd attack. Would have been nice to have around last format for it's first attack (hitting the bench for 30 to 1 pokemon, good for baby pokes). I say the 2nd attack is good because it will OHKO eels and most basic and stage 1 electric and dark pokemon. That's not the focal point though, being able to get back any card in your discard is huge. You could get special energy, trainers, and SUPPORTERS! :O I remember playing some guy who stalled me for 3 turns and just used PONT every turn to set up. It was super annoying but effective.

People tried Excadrill when it came out, they really did. The weak damage output and the fact that it was a bit slow meant it never made the grade.

Stunfisk DR

It's found a nice little niche for itself as a tech for donking Tynamos and annoying Darkrai. You see it around a fair bit.

In conclusion, I think all of those cards got the play they deserved, so I wouldn't call them underrated.

Personally, I think Groudon-EX was seriously underappreciated last format.

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I don't think spread decks are that big since EXs ARE the format (Pretty much). Would take 6 glaciates to KO a un-eviolited Regi or Mewtwo for say. Oh btw I didn't mean jirachi to accelerate energy in Cake. Maybe something like Chandelure NV with jirachi and shaymin ul to power it up (Even Mewtwo lol). I only run a 2-2 Excadrill line to set up and retrieve used resources. I don't think anything 80 damage and under mid-late game will cut it anymore. The game revolves around OHKOs, 2 shots to take multiple prizes (Dakrai) or 2 shots to take 2 prizes but give up only 1 prize (Garchomp, Empoleon, etc).

I have a spread deck that used to use that Jirachi. I also run Aerodactyl in it though so I swapped the Jirachi out for Omastar (Majestic Dawn) which serves the same purpose but can do it as a Power.

In Modified I think Zoroark BLW could do with trying out again, it's usage seems to have dropped off recently but it makes both a decent starter (combined wit Zoroa DEX) and a 1 prize counter to many EXs with huge expensive attacks.

For me,Electrode (Base set) seems to be the most relevant underrated card at the moment. I don't think it saw much play when it was Modified legal and it took about a year for the Unlimited 150 players to realise it's potential. I think the loss of a prize puts people off, but the sudden acceleration it provides will usually mean you also take a prize the turn you KO it. You can even leave it sat on the bench when you're doing ok on energy so a Energy Removal & Super Energy Removal in one turn doesn't cripple you. Finally, it works wonders with Twins. If you can set it up early game you will find 2 extra energy and 2 cards of your choice are easily worth 1 prize.

Electrode/Zapdos was actually pretty popular when the game first came out, before people realized that haymaker-like decks worked better.

In my mind, Kyurem NVI is in the same boat as Chandelure NVI. They're both great cards, but the damage output can get really low a bad situation. They really take the right partners to work, and Kyurem's partners aren't here. When Blastoise and Dusknoir come out, I'm sure Kyurem will see play.

Back