Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unlimited and Modified aren't enough anymore-- We need an "extended" format!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Blastoise

I've been with this game since the days of Jungle. I've seen many things take place throughout the history of this great game--The various sets, the Prof. Program, the commisioning of Modified, and much more. For the past 3 years or so, there has been a division of formats in constructed tourneys between the traditional Unlimited format (anything goes except Ancient Mew and B-Day Pikachu) and the Modified (we've had TR-on, Neon, and now Eon). Also, we've had as of next month a total of 16 sets (excluding SI and reprint sets) in the Pokemon TCG. I've found and a number of people on the boards have also found that 16 sets and only 2 constructed formats is not enough. So that's why I put forth the proposal of an "extended" format. Note that this format should only be implemented when we have OFFICIAL OP getting started. Here is the basic proposal: We need a 3rd format that we should name "extended" (subject to name change) due to the fact that the current Unlimited and Modified formats are no longer adequate. Adequate means that Unlimited and Modified are such diverse formats in terms of deckbuilding and gameplay that they don't satisfy the tastes of many people in the Pokemon TCG community and as a result a 3rd constructed format is necessary as a sort of "in between". This format could simply be the last 3 block sets (ex: if implemented now it would be Neo- soon to be Dragon set)

Now why do we need "extended"? I'll give some of my thoughts and perhaps everyone here can give their thoughts as to why or why not (just keep it clean!).

First of all, an extended format would be a complement to both unlimited and modified. Just face it. The current Modified has what 5 sets. I've done some play testing in this format and it holds a lot of promise don't get me wrong especially with the various powerful Pokemon in RS (Blaziken, Gardevoir, Mewtwo ex and many more), however it just doesn't have the amount of firepower especially in terms of trainer cards that I've come to expect from my many years of playing this game. So what's my alternative right now? Well, if I want to play with lots of strong trainers, then I'm playing Unlimited. Well, with Unlimited while it too is enjoyable, many archetypes and trainers that would be otherwise very good in a more "restricted" format are just simply washed out of the competititon by sheer colossal giants (ex. Prof. Oak, Elm, trader, breeder, RSA, Lass). So as a result, even a cursory look at my options leaves me wanted something more. However, I appreciate elements from both unlimited and the modified formats and I feel that creating a "hybrid" format would be in our best interests. Why?

1) Get to use a # of our older trainers without dealing with the "powerhouse" cards from base set.

2) No more nasty and sometimes boring combos of ER/SER, Lass, the infamous IOR, RSA, and Rocket Trap and many others

3) Many Pokemon card combos that relie on Base Set- Gym2 such as Haymaker, Sneasel, and even Slowking would limit those cards paving the way for less "well-known" cards to have their time

4) A fresh new format to play and the best of both worlds with awesome pokemon from the newer sets and different interesting combos plus some of the more decent trainers from the Neo sets.

Note: I'm not trying to bring back Neon. Notice that Neon was just Neo Genesis- Skyridge. The format that I'm proposing would be NG- Dragon. A net total of 3 extra sets (might not seem so much but just look at what you get). New sets would automatically be tacked on to the format the moment they would be released. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? I think so, the facts speak for themselves. Perhaps I've convinced some of you to take more of a serious look at this issue because it seems (at least to me) to pop up every so often. Case in point: Modified and Unlimited used to be enough but with the size of the game growing, it isn't anymore. So we need EXTENDED!!!

How about something like Gym to Neo for Extended? Afterwards, each time a block gets rotated out of Modified, it would rotate into Extended.

I think it sounds like an interesting idea. Since we wont be getting gym leader stuff any time soon, I would suggest the following rules for this Hybrid format:

1. The following sets and any cards re-released for the following sets are allowed:
-Gym Heroes
-Gym Challenge
-Southern Islands
-Neo Genesis
-Neo Discovery
-Neo Revelations
-Neo Destiny
-E-Expedtion
-E-Aquapolis
-E-Skyridge
-EX: Ruby/Sahpire
-EX: Sandstorm
-EX: Dragon
-Best Of Promos
-WotC Promos 21-53
-Nintendo Promos 001-(current)

2. To make this format and all Pokemon types balanced, the following cards are not allowed:
-Birthday Pikachu
-Slowking- Neo Genesis
-Sneasel- Neo Genesis

3. To make this format balanced, All Pokemon with the "Baby" ranking in Neo Genesis through E-Skyridge will follow the new baby rules released in EX: Ruby/Saphire. The old ones will not work anymore.

4. Any copy of any final stage pokemon cards in a deck are limited to 2 copies per deck (even if it has been released in a previous set) (ex. 2 holo Blazikens and 2 non-holo are allowed, as long as one version of the final stage pokemon card is limited to 2 per deck).

5. Neo Discovery Tyrouge's Smash Punch only does 20 damage (before applying weakness and resistance)

Like i said in some of these rulings, This format is supposed to be ballanced in a way where not only are all pokemon types are allowed for playability, but most archetypes will still work. I think this is a good format. Hopefully, this will probably be to your likeing, TB

I don't know... I personally see Extended dubiously...

First off, what's the point? With the sets you mentioned Turbo Blastoise, it's almost identical to unlimited minus energy removal, gust, and oak. The only difference is trainers.

I'm not a huge supporter of extended in Magic either... but I guess I just don't see the point of a third format.

~ RaNd0m

I'd like to see a "extended". However, unlike Arthas Zero, here's how I'd like to see it...

Sets Allowed:
All sets previously part of Modified, which have been rotated out. i.e.:
Team Rocket
Gym: Challange
Gym: Heroes
Neo Genesis
Neo Discovery
Neo Revelations
Neo Destany
Legendary Collection (IMO, should be part of ALL formats...)
Any set after Neo Destany that is rotated out of Modified
All Promotional cards (you saw right, ALL promotional cards).

Excluding the following cards (as they were banned from a Modified or Unlimited format...)
__________'s Pikachu
Ancient Mew
Sneasel (Genesis)
Slowking (Genesis)

No extra rules on gameplay.

This format would allow us "old-timers" a chance to play with our favorite decks from older Modified formats. I specifically excluded sets currently in Modified because I think that overlap of different Modified formats is not a good thing, and could turn out bad, considering that Scizor was uber-dominant in the late stages of Neon Modified, and I wanted some of the older decks to shine.

I think Nintendo should create a series of set of totaly reprinted cards(in adition to ofter sets not insted) and that should become Extented. But there must be at leat 1 of each pokemon in these sets. and, ocasionaly, Nintendo should releasae another set that becomes part of extended. Wether these sets would be a part of modified would be up to Nintendo to diside.

My 2 cents

Treecko

i hope they will make new modified format BECAUSE pokemon is getting boring i think.

look at the BZ tournament only unlimited and modified ,seems boring right? BUT NOW only modified ,thats why more ppl arent playing pokemon now because in modified format ppl play new cards normally.What about old cards? they are simply dump in the trash cause new cards always better than the old ones ,whats the reason for this? modified format!

Before any new format is taken into effect, we should first see what EX Dragon will bring us in terms of trainer cards.

Yeah, it's a good idea. Unlimited tend to have te same thing in every deck, and this "in between" suit some player's flavour. First, no "powerhouse" archtypes. Second, get to try new ideas combining some expansion. Third, save some time & money. (Modified is expensive, but Unlimited has powerful cards in the history).

I think that the job of setting a format should patially be handled by the sets released, that is, an interm format was never really a need when we had legendary to skyridge because legendary covered alot of older cards that could now be reused. and then the new sets were added on.
when it comes down to it, I think people want the newer enviornment that gets rid of the old hard to beat powerhouses (thus more variety in their decks) but still be able to use their older cards. a base set is what makes this happen. this is why in magic they have what is now 8th edition, each edition is a collection of best cards from previous series with the exclusion of the unbalancers, mixed in with the new sets to add on to it.

Now, with an extended format, you CANNOT make it exactly (or almost exactly) like a previous modified format. That's a big no-no, and a serious waste of time.

So, my idea for extended would be kind of like both modifieds of the past combined! Presenting my proposition, Rocket-Plus:

Cards ALLOWED in the "Rocket-Plus" format:

Team Rocket (Rocket Block)
Gym Heroes
Gym Challenge
Neo Genesis (Neo Block)
Neo Discovery
Neo Revelations
Neo Destiny
Legendary Collection (Base Set)
E-Expedition (E Block)
E-Aquapolis
E-Skyridge
WotC # Promo Star Promos

Cards NOT ALLOWED in the "Rocket-Plus" format:

Neo Genesis Sneasel
Neo Genesis Slowking
_______'s Pikachu
(Ancient) Mew
Base Set (Base Block/Base Set)
Jungle
Fossil
Base set 2 (Base Block/Base Set)
Ex-Ruby and Sapphire (Ex block)
Ex-Sandstorm
Any set released after Ex-Sandstorm
"Best of" Promos
Nintendo ### Promo Star promos

So, you see, there are flavors from each format: We have the broken, heavy-hitting guys like Feraligatr back to full power, yet they can be countered with far more ease. Also, there will be a BIG pool of variety. An extended like this would blend the flavors of unlimited and modified to a very nice degree :D

Now, the reason I'd be against "Best of"s, TR, is simply because of the format flavor. The lack of Best of's, however, is balanced out by ALL promo star cards being legal.

I'd just like to point out to Jesschow that the official leagues aren't Modified only. League Leaders can do whatever they want.

As for having an extended format, I have no opinion of it, really. Back in my Magic days, I always got confused with trying to figure out Extended (and why it was different than 1.5) so whenever I actually built with a format in mind, I played Type 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back