Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

US Citizens traveling to Canada for Worlds 2013

Pokeplayer

For all the United States citizens traveling abroad to Canada.....You need to know the facts...

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. It is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA).

The goal of WHTI is to facilitate entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors, while strengthening U.S. border security. Standard documents will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

WHTI went into effect June 1, 2009 for land and sea travel into the U.S. WHTI document requirements for air travel went into effect in 2007.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and Air Travel for U.S. Citizens

When traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, you are required to present a U.S. passport, except as noted below. This applies to everyone including newborns, infants and children.

The only exceptions to this requirement are for:

U.S. citizens on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces, traveling with military ID and travel orders
U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling in conjunction with maritime business, with U.S. issued Merchant Mariner Document
Travelers with a NEXUS card used at a NEXUS kiosk at Canadian Preclearance airports
U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card or other evidence of permanent residence status and required documentation; refugees and asylees with a Refugee Travel Document

for more info.....Go here:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_at.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and land and sea Travel for U.S. Citizens

Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below. Go Here:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the drive to Vancouver from Seattle?

I'm assuming the Seattle airport is the closet airport to the border?

or a passport card ... they are cheaper and you can get them online.
Children do not need one, only their birth certificate.

and a heads up. When going through customs/border control. Just be honest, and answer the questions the agents ask you. The easier you make it for them, the faster you will get through.

If you have medications, make sure you have your doctors prescription paperwork on you if you have to take them across borders since different countries have different laws regarding medications and weather or not they are legal in the country you are in. I have had to take a prescription medication overseas and I made sure to have the paperwork with me. It made going into the country very easy (just a couple extra questions)

And all else, if you do NOT have a passport/passport card, I would advise getting one soon. It can take up to 6 weeks to get one for a new applicant, and you do NOT want to apply for it after Nationals. That is just asking for it not to arrive before you go to Worlds. Passports are good for 10 years, so when you can, apply for it if you are considering going to worlds NOW!

How long is the drive to Vancouver from Seattle?

I'm assuming the Seattle airport is the closet airport to the border?

If you are renting a car, be sure to check if you are allowed to leave the country with it.

Other options include train (Amtrak: 4 hours $50 per person each way with an 8 AM departure/noon arrival north bound and 6 PM departure 10 PM arrival south bound) or bus service (about $40 each way per person.)

Also make sure you don't accidentally book bus/train travel to Vancouver Washington - about 3 hours in the wrong direction.

I usually use Greyhound to get between Vancouver and Seattle for events (PAX, VGC Regionals back in the day). $28 round trip. About four hours point to point. I'm not entirely sure on the details about airport to bus station in Seattle, but it's pretty simple on the Vancouver side.

Both Amtrak and Greyhound will drop you off at Pacific Central Station across the street from the skytrain station "Main Street - Science World". Just jump on that and take it to Waterfront which is where the Convention Centre is located. It's about 10 minutes tops. $2.50.

I can't wait for all my American friends to feel the joy I do when I see the customs agents' faces after telling them why I'm going to the United States :)

What about money? Where can we get our USD converted to CND (other than the airport), and what can we do if we run out of Canadian currency while in the country?

Im canadian, wyou can find a currency exchanger store almost anywhere

---------- Post added 08/27/2012 at 09:26 AM ----------

just bring extra US cash

What about money? Where can we get our USD converted to CND (other than the airport), and what can we do if we run out of Canadian currency while in the country?
Your bank should be able to exchange it. Or you can go to any of the currency exchange places downtown. Or you can use your debit / credit card. Or many places will actually accept USD (usually at a 1:1 or worse exchange) due to the large number of tourists we get here being so close to the border.

When I went to Japan, I was able to use their ATM to withdraw money only having to pay the atm fee and my banks fee for using a non bank atm. I am pretty sure you can do the same in Canada. I would want to let your bank know your going to be in Canada so they dont inadvertently block your card for unusual activity (theft)

From the Peace Arch border crossing (If you are coming from Seattle/Bellingham airport), it takes about 30-40 minutes to get to the Vancouver Convention centre if there's no traffic. If anyone needs advice on how to get around Vancouver I can help, just drop me a pm. I would suggest everyone to bring an umbrella or raincoat, the weather is pretty unpredictable even in the summer. lol

From the Peace Arch border crossing (If you are coming from Seattle/Bellingham airport), it takes about 30-40 minutes to get to the Vancouver Convention centre if there's no traffic. If anyone needs advice on how to get around Vancouver I can help, just drop me a pm. I would suggest everyone to bring an umbrella or raincoat, the weather is pretty unpredictable even in the summer. lol

No its predictable. It WILL be raining.

Back