Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

VA states report (I don't like resistance)

Sandslash7

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Virginia States Report
Sandslash7
93 Participants
35 in Masters
Game Parlor
March 10, 2007

I needed about 9-12 cards for my deck, but fortunately, over the past few weeks, I was able to borrow what I needed (red0nkulus on getting 2 Transceiver the day of the tourney) The Phrase of the Day was: “Extra Transceiver?” Anyway, on the list! (wow, I’m actually giving it out!)

Pokemon: 24
4 Horsea DF
4 Seadra DF (smokescreen)
4 Kingdra ex d
1 Kingdra HP
4 Pinsir DF
2 Spearow CG
2 Fearow d CG
1 Eevee DS(CFF)
1 Espeon d
1 Holon’s Voltorb

NRG: 12
5 Fighting
4 d Rainbow
3 Rainbow

Trainers: 24
4 Transciever
3 Mentor
2 Adventurer
2 Researcher
1 Scientist
1 Lass
1 Farmer
2 Copycat
2 Rare Candy
2 Windstorm
1 Warp Point
1 Crystal Shard
1 Giant Stump
1 Crystal Beach

This list I tweaked from Dendrobatida’s fix on the Kingdra ex swarm deck. The basic strategy is to swarm with Kingdra ex (obviously)

Well, I got to the store at about 8:45, (it opened at 10:00) so I went on over to Bob Evan’s for some breakfast. At about 9:50, I went back to the store, and was surprised that about 20 people were already there standing outside. I talked with my friends and rounded up 2 more Kingdra ex (in exchange for Lugia ex collateral) I still needed 2 Transciever, but while I was standing in line with Time for Pain to register my deck, I got a RH one from a kid in front of me, and I also got 1 from totoro(my LL), so my deck was finished.
Time for Pain and I proceeded to play a face-down game to ready our decks,(he won, I’ve pretty much got an auto loss to his deck)

Round 1: Paul something(MIRROR MATCH!!!)
This is probably the deck I was least expecting. He mulliganed, and I saw a buffer piece, a Fearow d, and some random trainers. I start out with a good hand, Pinsir, Rare Candy, Rainbow NRG, Horsea, Kingdra ex d, Copycat, and a Transciever. I put the Pinsir starting, and he goes first, He has a Horsea(HP) out, so I know I’m in for a tough match. I draw something, Attach to Pinsir, Mentor, Rare Candy to Kingdra ex, play Spearow and Eevee to my bench. Immediately, I discover I have 2 HORSEA’S PRIZED!!! How redonkulus is that? I know I’ll have to play smart and retreat and use Espeon to heal so I can draw some prizes. We go a few more turns and I eventually have 1 Kingdra ex d out with some damage on it a Fearow with a Fighting, an Espeon, and a Kingdra d HP, and he has an undamaged Kingdra ex d with a buffer piece on it(with a Pinsir and a Fearow and a Horsea on the bench) I retreat for the Kingdra d, and use his power to get 2 damage on the Horsea on the bench. His Buffer Piece gets discarded, and he attacks me for 80. I use the power again, and continue to heal my Kingdras and I pass. He attacks me, and KOs the Kingdra. I use Farmer to get the Horsea and Seadra back, and I Delta Sign the Horsea to the bench. I attack the Active Kingdra ex with mine, and we trade shots for a turn. Then, I Adventurer, Delta Sign my benched Seadra to Kingdra ex, and retreat for it. I send it out, and attack his undamaged one(he had one with 70-80 on it on the bench). He draws, and instead of KOing mine, he retreats for a Pinsir. (I’m thinking: Missplay.) I go, heal(taking me out of KO Range) KO the Pinsir, and draw a Horsea from my prizes. He promotes his Kingdra, and attacks mine for 60. I play Horsea to the bench, and I KO his Kingdra ex. I then proceed to KO 1 more Kingdra, and when time is called, I am ahead in prizes. Tough match, but I was able to pull it out.

Win: 1-0

Round 2: Vs. Devon i.e. Afro dude w/Boom, (and surprise techs, I heard he had Wobbutffet PK, but I didn’t see it)

This was a tough match. I knew I had to use my Crystal Shard and Warp Point wisely, but I needed to avoid the ‘doom lock to stay in the game. Nice plan, but harder in reality. It starts with him Shuppett Ascensioning(lol) to Bannette ex. I get the normal start after his mulligan. I Mentor, and Delta Call for Fearow and get an Eevee and a Horsea as well. He attaches another Rainbow NRG, and puts himself at 20 damage. He neglects to Shady move, and attacks for 40 on my Pinsir. I Rare Candy to Kingdra ex, and Evolve to Fearow, I attach a Rainbow to Kingdra ex, and Delta Sign for Espeon d. I heal, and delta call for a Seadra. He puts a Houndour on the bench, and Mentors for 3 Shuppets, w/1 on the bench. He KOes my Pinsir, and I send out Kingdra ex. I attach an NRG, and Delta Sign another Kindgra. I NRG Link for the NRG in my discard pile, and do 10 damage. He draws, and forgets to Shady Move again. He attacks for 40 or 50, and it’s my turn. I evolve to Kingdra ex, and Delta Sign a Horsea to the bench. I heal, and add an NRG to my Espeon. I attack for 50, barely not KOing his Bannette. He retreats for his safeguard Bannette, and does nothing to my Kingdra ex. I evolve to Kingdra d HP, and attach to Kindgra. We continue on for a few more turns, and finally I’m pushed into a hole with a Cyclone NRG and no Warp Point or Crystal Shard. He proceeds to drag the match slowly forward until time was called. I think if he hadn’t played so slowly, I might have been able to pull it out, but he didn’t give me enough time.

Loss 1-1

Round 3 VS Dan w/Metanite (ugh, Metanite is lightning)

He and I both get good starts, and we set up pretty fast. He Delta Draws for a few(2-3) turns, w/o getting anything other than a Dragonite d up. I get 2 Kingdra exs up, and I also have a Fearow and an Espeon as well, with working on a Kingdra d HP on a Horsea. His turn comes, and he gets a Candy for his Metagross, and proceeds to get a Second Dragonite as well. I KO the Casty, and he gets my Kingdra for 50. I attack, and he KO’s my Kingdra. I KO him with another Kingdra, and He KOs that with Latios *. I KO that with an NRG Link’ed Crystal Shard, but he KOes another Pokemon, and I loose.

Loss 1-2

Round 4 was announced. I was pretty sure I was out of the running for the top 8, but I never drop, so I knew I had an uphill battle ahead. I needed to win the next 3 matches to even have a shot at the top cut, so I set my mind and went to work.

Round 4 (Sorry I can’t remember your name. Nice guy with, I think, a DF Starter deck)

I get my start, and immediately, he remarks, “Oh, Holon Mentor, I’ve seen a lot of that today” I proceed to give him my Pinsir, and in exchange, I build up 3 Kingdra exs and 1 Kingdra d, along with Espeon and Fearow. The game is over quickly. I help him get on the right path towards success by showing the importance of trainers in a deck, so that made me happy.

Win 2-2

Round 5 is called, and I am facing a Crobat d deck. I realize I have to use my Transceivers in a hurry, before I get a Radar Jam Lock.
I get the start, and pretty quickly, I run through 1 Crobat and 2 Zubats for the win.

Win 3-2

Round 6. This is where is all comes down. I need to get this match in order to have a shot at the top 8. I’m paired with some guy I don’t know, and we begin.
I get the start, and he gets his(Holon’s Castform) He gets 2 T3-4 Flygon d, but no Ex forms. I power up 2 Kingdra exs and a delta one, and we start attacking. He retreats his Casty, and KOes Pinsir. I bring up Kingdra, and do 10 with NRG Link. He attacks for 50(because swift only gets through the Kindgra that is active, the bench one still affects the damage done) I heal, and attack for 50 with Protective swirl. He retreats, and sends out the other one, and does another 50. I retreat, and send out my other Kingdra ex, and do 50 more. He plays a Rayquaza ex d on his bench, and does more damage. I use Crystal Shard, and KO his Flygon. He sends out the Rayquaza, but only does 60. I attack, for my turn and he KOs my Kingdra ex. I use Warp Point, and he brings up the Flygon. Now comes the crucial part. He has a 3-1 Prize lead. (I don’t remember exactly, but that’s what it was) I stumped, and he got rid of his damaged Rayray. He had a Latios ex d on the bench with no NRG, but I KOed the Flygon, and he stalled by sacking a Vibrava. I knew I had one chance. He had already discarded his 4 Castys, (Farmering 1 back in the process) So I knew a Crystal Beach lock was my only option(so the Latios ex d couldn’t attack and stall the game out) I also knew he had discarded 3 Windstorms so far, and I didn’t think he played 4. I got my hand small, and played Crystal Beach. I KOed the Vibrava, and he sent out the Latios ex d he didn’t get the Casty, so he passed I Attacked for 80, and he didn’t get the Casty again so he free retreats, and sends out a Damage less Flygon ex d. I just send out my Kingdra d and Delta Curse(whatever his power is).

WIN!!!!! 4-2!!!!

I wait around for the Top 8 to be announced, and I miss it with the second to last resistance… ugly… I place 12th, but my rating goes up to 1625ish.

Props
Kingdra ex
All my buds on Team Rogue who gave me deck fixes
People who lent me cards (especially Transceivers)
Pokemon in general (the only thing I really do for fun)

Slops
Resistance (I strongly dislike you…)

Last edited:
Heh. The guy you played in Round 2 was my friend Devon. He plays slow naturally, I don't think he was trying to stall you out. About neglecting to Shady Move - he probably forgot that Banette even had a power - Devon doesn't really know how to play this game. ;x

Nice job on the day.

Ya, He hadn't really changed his pace of play, it was just taking a really long time for him to make his moves. Plus, he was using a japanise Bannette, so its possible he forgot.

Weird. I had the same exact record as you in the last States, and also came in the same place and lost the top cut to resistance. Yea, resistance sucks.

Back